From: j63840576@gmail.com (Praetor Mandrake)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: tin openers are not an insignificant invention
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:43:53 -0600
 by: Praetor Mandrake - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 02:43 UTC

I opened a chili tin today without a tin opener. It was the first
time I've done it, although I had seen it done once before. I think
tin openers should give more benefit, e.g. greater quantity of food. I
had to leave some food on the bottom because the aperture wasn't large
enough. As it is, I open every tin without a tin opener in nethack,
because three turns or whatever doesn't put a dent in my conduct.

Re: tin openers are not an insignificant invention

<yl4u1xgctqmr$.dlg@br-ederson.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=3172&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#3172

From: use.replyto@this.is.invalid (B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:04:57 +0100
 by: B. R. 'BeAr - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 07:04 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:43:53 -0600, Praetor Mandrake wrote:

> I opened a chili tin today without a tin opener. It was the first
> time I've done it, although I had seen it done once before. I think
> tin openers should give more benefit, e.g. greater quantity of food. I
> had to leave some food on the bottom because the aperture wasn't large
> enough. As it is, I open every tin without a tin opener in nethack,
> because three turns or whatever doesn't put a dent in my conduct.

You should have blessed your chili tin, beforehand. Don't you have a
batch of holy water potions at home? ;-P

As for opening unblessed tins: If you have a sturdy[!!] hunting knife
or sth. like that, you may try to penetrate the outer ring of the upper
tin side with 4 to 8 small cuts angling towards the mid of the lid. Set
the first two on opposite sides and use the openings to drain most of
the fluid liquids. After all cuts are set, use the knife as a lever by
stabbing it into each cut (sharp side directing to the middle) and
leveraging up. (Always up and never down with these tins, because
you want the lid to open and not be drenched in your food. Apart from
that: You can best utilize the outer ring of the tin as leverage point
this way.) Afterwards bow the created 4 to 8 lid "petals" up and to
the outside. Be careful not to cut yourself when touching the lids.
Maybe use a wood spoon or the like as helper.

Don't try this with /any/ knife, that isn't really sturdy!!

Or: *Always* carry a Swiss army pocket knife with integrated tin opener,
wherever you go. This is much less likely to land you in hospital. ;-)

Merry Christmas
BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===

Re: tin openers are not an insignificant invention

<f20spipt48ta9110uk0veumcaimcv05e94@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#3188

From: j63840576@gmail.com (Prtr. Mandrake)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 20:27:59 -0600
 by: Prtr. Mandrake - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 02:27 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:04:57 +0100, "B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson"
<use.replyto@this.is.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:43:53 -0600, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
>
>> I opened a chili tin today without a tin opener. It was the first
>> time I've done it, although I had seen it done once before. I think
>> tin openers should give more benefit, e.g. greater quantity of food. I
>> had to leave some food on the bottom because the aperture wasn't large
>> enough. As it is, I open every tin without a tin opener in nethack,
>> because three turns or whatever doesn't put a dent in my conduct.
>
>You should have blessed your chili tin, beforehand. Don't you have a
>batch of holy water potions at home? ;-P

I wish.

When I wrote this I didn't realize that tin openers only weigh 5.
That's practically nothing! I've started carrying tin openers in
nethack.