From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [evilhack] No artifact on crowning an Archeologist?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:37:47 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:37 UTC

My Archeologist prayed, got crowned the Hand of Elbereth, and got
nothing. The discoveries list shows not a single artifact listed.
And the #conduct says: "You have never touched an artifact." and
"You have used no wishes.". Before the crowning all altar #offers
provided only mundane gear. Is it normal to not get any artifact?

Janis

Re: [evilhack] No artifact on crowning an Archeologist?

<871q7myy9d.fsf@noisytoot.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=3213&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#3213

From: ron@noisytoot.org (Ron Nazarov)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 21:41:50 +0100
sha1:C01+52Q7XLlAMUW6Y3jndwJP4Io=
 by: Ron Nazarov - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:41 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> My Archeologist prayed, got crowned the Hand of Elbereth, and got
> nothing. The discoveries list shows not a single artifact listed.
> And the #conduct says: "You have never touched an artifact." and
> "You have used no wishes.". Before the crowning all altar #offers
> provided only mundane gear. Is it normal to not get any artifact?

Were you wielding a long sword when you were crowned? Lawfuls get their
long sword converted to Excalibur if wielding it while crowning,
otherwise they get no gift. This is vanilla behaviour.

Since Excalibur is only obtainable by fountain dipping for knights in
EvilHack, you now have no way of getting Excalibur except bones and
wishing. I think that lawful crowning should unlock Excalibur dipping
but that has not been implemented (yet).

Re: [evilhack] No artifact on crowning an Archeologist?

<uul803$e43c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#3214

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:49:21 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 03:49 UTC

On 03.04.2024 22:41, Ron Nazarov wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> My Archeologist prayed, got crowned the Hand of Elbereth, and got
>> nothing. The discoveries list shows not a single artifact listed.
>> And the #conduct says: "You have never touched an artifact." and
>> "You have used no wishes.". Before the crowning all altar #offers
>> provided only mundane gear. Is it normal to not get any artifact?
>
> Were you wielding a long sword when you were crowned?

I don't recall the specific situation in that game any more, so I
cannot tell.

Later I got artifacts, though; probably from many more sacrifices.
At least I know that I died with the blessed +6 Grayswandir in my
hand.

> Lawfuls get their
> long sword converted to Excalibur if wielding it while crowning,
> otherwise they get no gift. This is vanilla behaviour.

Don't recall Vanilla; I've not played it for years. And all these
variants I meanwhile played had so many differences that I cannot
tell them apart with all their subtle or also grave differences.

Thanks.

Janis