From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [evilhack] Death magic resistance, magic resistance, etc.
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 06:12:22 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:12 UTC

In my current Evilhack game I (again) sacrificed a lot, and after
getting all the tons of mundane weapons and armor gifts in multiple
copies I also got a couple artifacts. Specifically the Dragonbane
(dragon gauntlets) and Grayswandir, and I decided to forge them
to obtain the Gauntlets of Purity. (I suppose the acid resistance
protection of the Dragonbane gloves got lost with the new Gloves
of Purity?)

Now I'm unsure about the protective effects of my gear...

I read about those gloves that they provide reflection and also
protect against instant death magic (wand, touch, etc.).

Then I've got an amulet of magic resistance.

And I also have an amulet of unchanging.

I want to prevent my character from polymorph-traps and from the
monster's death spells and wands. Would the Gauntlets of Purity be
sufficient for that of do I have to wear also the amulet of MR or
the amulet of unchanging?

Or would the amulet of MR (as MR in Vanilla) also suffice against
death magic like the Gloves of Purity?

(Part of my uncertainty stems from a recent game where I think to
have died to a death touch from a chameleon-lich ; I had a cloak
of MR before but it seems I've lost that before that encounter to
some other monster with a magic attack. The circumstances were a
bit fuzzy in retrospect; maybe the cloak got somehow disintegrated
without me noticing.)

Since there's so many new (quasi-)instant deaths in Evilhack I'd
like to know what else I'd need to proceed somewhat safe.

Thanks.

Janis

[evilhack] What else do I need to prevent instant-deaths?

<uut6io$2ja2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#3216

From: janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: [evilhack] What else do I need to prevent instant-deaths?
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:14:15 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 04:14 UTC

I continued my Evilhack game with my crowned giant Valkyrie...

Got a lot of artifacts from sacfests, and finally had a couple
artifact-pairs that I could forge to get these super-artifacts;
I have got: the Gauntlets of Purity, the Dichotomy, the Hammer
of the Gods, and, the Ashmar.

(Ashmar blasts me; I suppose because I am no Dwarf? - Anyway.)

As soon as that super-artifact gear was complete a horde of
locusts appeared and poisoned me. So I had to genocide them;
it would be too dangerous otherwise (been there).

But in Evilhack there's a lot of possible instant deaths and
I wonder what else I need or what combination of items would
be the safest combination. Here is what I have and currently
use, my skills, and my stats...

I'm particularly pondering about the amulet (MR vs. flying),
and about whether the Hammer of Gods is to prefer because of
its property to provide sickness resistance (but meanwhile
locusts do not exist any more).

St:25 Dx:14 Co:25 In:14 Wi:18 Ch:9
Lawful $:0 HP:189(189) Pw:50(50) AC:-29 MC:1 TH:32 Xp:15

Amulets ('"')
an uncursed silver amulet of magic resistance (being worn)
an uncursed amulet of flying
an uncursed amulet of reflection
an uncursed mithril amulet of unchanging

Weapons (')')
the blessed +7 Dichotomy (weapon in hand)
the blessed +0 Hammer of the Gods
the blessed rustproof +6 Mjollnir
the blessed rustproof +0 Angelslayer
the blessed +0 Werebane
a +0 staff of escape named Escape
a +0 staff of holiness named Clerical
a +0 staff of matter named Matter
a blessed rustproof +5 axe of excellence named Gift
a blessed rustproof +3 broadsword of excellence named Gift

Armor
a blessed fireproof +5 pair of speed boots named Gift (being worn)
the blessed +4 Gauntlets of Purity (being worn)
an uncursed +2 adamantine dwarvish helm (being worn)
a blessed +2 mithril dwarvish roundshield named Ashmar (being worn)

Fighting Skills
bare handed combat [ Unskilled / Expert ] 75%
two weapon combat [ Unskilled / Skilled ]
# shield [ Master / Master ] MAX
riding [ Unskilled / Skilled ]
Weapon Skills
* dagger [ Skilled / Expert ] MAX
axe [ Unskilled / Expert ]
pick-axe [ Unskilled / Skilled ] 20%
short sword [ Unskilled / Skilled ]
# broadsword [ Skilled / Skilled ] MAX
long sword [ Unskilled / Expert ]
two-handed sword [ Unskilled / Expert ]
saber [ Unskilled / Basic ]
mace [ Unskilled / Basic ]
* hammer [ Skilled / Expert ] MAX
quarterstaff [ Unskilled / Basic ]
polearms [ Unskilled / Skilled ]
* spear [ Skilled / Expert ] MAX
trident [ Unskilled / Basic ]
lance [ Unskilled / Skilled ]
sling [ Unskilled / Basic ]
Spellcasting Skills
matter spells [ Unskilled / Basic ]

Any hints and suggestions are welcome.

Also; what do I still need that I could wish for when I come
across some wishing source? - During my game I lost two rings
of slow digestion to energy vortices, despite my 100% shock
resistance. I'd like some safety here, but how would I get an
immunity to item destroying shock attacks?

(I have used 1 wish, and I have not wished for any artifacts.)

And a final question; as a giant I seem to not be able to wear
body armor or cloaks; so is it impossible to get dragon scales'
effects when playing a giant (with the exception of the scales
from the Chromatic Dragon)?

Janis