From: john@not.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Subject: started ttr125
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:11:58 -0400
 by: john - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 01:11 UTC

rode to mail box & back, dropped mail by garage and headed to the back
field to pick some blackberries, eat more than i put in the ziplock bag
then headed to the apple trees and watched a yellow jacket have some
sweet juice. the pear trees are just about ready, i should pick them
before the racoon gets them. rode bike back to garage and put it in its
place next to the workbench. that's about the extent of dirt bike riding
i've done this year, sigh
john

Re: started ttr125

<tdure2$2iq6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=331&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#331

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Subject: Re: started ttr125
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:59:14 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:59 UTC

On 8/21/22 6:11 PM, john wrote:
> rode to mail box & back, dropped mail by garage and headed to the back
> field to pick some blackberries, eat more than i put in the ziplock bag
> then headed to the apple trees and watched a yellow jacket have some
> sweet juice. the pear trees are just about ready, i should pick them
> before the racoon gets them. rode bike back to garage and put it in its
> place next to the workbench. that's about the extent of dirt bike riding
> i've done this year, sigh

I haven't even done that on my BICYCLE!

--
Cheers, Bev
"If Mary Jo could float I would have been president."

Re: started ttr125

<f0nhwdccuxlx.dlg@news.bartheld.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=332&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#332

From: news2022@bartheld.net (Volker Bartheld)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 10:20:22 +0200
 by: Volker Bartheld - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 08:20 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:59:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 8/21/22 6:11 PM, john wrote:
>> rode to mail box & back, dropped mail by garage and headed to the back
>> field to pick some blackberries, eat more than i put in the ziplock bag
>> then headed to the apple trees and watched a yellow jacket have some
>> sweet juice. the pear trees are just about ready, i should pick them
>> before the racoon gets them. rode bike back to garage and put it in its
>> place next to the workbench. that's about the extent of dirt bike riding
>> i've done this year, sigh
> I haven't even done that on my BICYCLE!

After around 15'000km (10'000mi) and ~4 years of all weather, all
terrain MTB riding, the switch cables were pretty shot and quite sticky.
Shame on you, Shimano! Was an easy fix though: You can buy the outer
tube with PTFE liner sleeve per running meter from the spool and
stainless steel inner wires are not that expensive either.

While at it, I changed the hydraulic oil in the brakes (no-fuss Shimano
BR-M555 with 160mm rear disk and BR-M675 on 180mm in the front). For
the BR-M675, you need a special kind of bleeder tool - some sort of a
plastic screw-in funnel. Big mess, if you don't have it and try to
substitute with a syringe. Chances are, that you could use any 5W
weight mineral oil in a pinch (read: COVID-19-induced German e-bike
craze), but luckily I had some leftovers. Same situation with front
sprockets, rear cassette (decent quality 9x3 components are becoming
quite rare nowadays as everybody and his ass rides 1x12 now so he can
buy more €xp€n$iv€ parts more frequently), chains, brake pads and
rotors.

The orange turd (1998 KTM 620 "Sempre Competizione") is currently
enjoying a mayor engine overhaul (aka. preventive maintenance) with new
forged piston, rings, connecting rod kit, crank bearings, camshaft
bearings, valve stem seals, cylinder wall NiKaSil replating and micro
filter upgrade (the infamous toilet paper roll is discontinued). Also
have new Acerbis plastics in '98 orange I can put on. Decal set costs a
fortune, perhaps I just print my own instead. "MY KNTN" following the
well known Porsche number plate in Mike Judge's "Office Space".

Hope, I can ride this thing for a couple more years to come, as the new
690s are becoming ride-by-wire smartphones on wheels, bowing to ever
increasing emission control. What's the purpose of a street legal
dirtbike with ABS that weighs 146kg (320lb) dry and puts out 75 fuel
injected hp to compensate? I'd rather get a Freeride E now since the
Stark Varg is probably not seeing the light of day in Germany. At least
not in a street legal version. And if it is not running on snake oil as
so many electric bikes were (Brammo, Quantya, Zero, Alta Motors MXR).

The RMZ450K8 I haven't ridden at all in four years straight
unfortunately. Partly because of the fierce crash I had in 2018 causing
more damage to man than to machine, partly because of COVID-19 leading
to quite ridiculous restraints - wearing a mask in the paddock - WTF? I
made sure to store the bike in a reasonably dry and dark place, covered
with a bed sheet, elevated on a kickstand with airbox cover and butt
plug installed, plenty of WD-40 on the metal parts, tank filled up
completely to protect the fuel injection system.

So I hope a new air filter, refilling the tank with new juice, some oil
in the spark plug hole and kicking it over for a couple times will help
it fire right up. Perhaps I should have an oily look at the valve train
before that and pray to see no rust in there. Sure I'll change
oil/filter and brake fluid afterwards, the tires might also have turned
to wood out of sheer boredom. But what can you do...?

Volker

Re: started ttr125

<54a5142b-b090-436f-8ecd-49cc7d1125f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=333&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#333

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: sturd.virtec@gmail.com (Michael Sturdevant)
 by: Michael Sturdevant - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 20:42 UTC

Volker, Bev, and john lament:

<no riding>

Been riding the Helix scooter to work (I'm an employee for the first time in 25 years!) most every day. Rode the V-Strom out to our riding property to direct work on a driveway. Lots of putzing around out there on the WR250.

New mad dog bike superbike I built is ready for dirt track at Western Reserve this weekend. Will also have the new to me '72 DT250 champion frame thing but I have not figured out what frankenstein ignition is on it and expect that my efforts at making it work well enough to not miss on top will not have the desired effect. Only way to tell is on the track though.

Anybody have an early 70's MX250 or RT360 electronic ignition for sale?

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

Re: started ttr125

<te2fev$qce$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=334&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#334

From: not@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:56:39 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 11:56 UTC

On 8/22/2022 4:42 PM, Michael Sturdevant wrote:
> Volker, Bev, and john lament:
>
> <no riding>
>
> Been riding the Helix scooter to work (I'm an employee for the first time in 25 years!) most every day. Rode the V-Strom out to our riding property to direct work on a driveway. Lots of putzing around out there on the WR250.
>
> New mad dog bike superbike I built is ready for dirt track at Western Reserve this weekend. Will also have the new to me '72 DT250 champion frame thing but I have not figured out what frankenstein ignition is on it and expect that my efforts at making it work well enough to not miss on top will not have the desired effect. Only way to tell is on the track though.
>
> Anybody have an early 70's MX250 or RT360 electronic ignition for sale?
>
> Go fast. Take chances.
> Mike S.

been riding the road king a lot more since gas price$ went nuts....

i had a 76 mt250, it was points ignition. I eventually ended up
disconnecting the rest of the wiring and only ran the ignition
(no lights) was more reliable after that. get out & ride, ya
never know when it might be the last.
john
When you die, your hearing is the last sense you lose.
Which is great because you can hear your wife say one
last time, "I told him it was a stupid idea."

Re: started ttr125

<anwf49kr500j$.dlg@news.bartheld.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=335&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#335

From: news2022@bartheld.net (Volker Bartheld)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:37:23 +0200
 by: Volker Bartheld - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:37 UTC

Hi!

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:42:53 -0700 (PDT), Michael Sturdevant wrote:
> Volker, Bev, and john lament:
> <no riding>

I do ride. However, given the choice to start offroad action directly at
my door or haul the bike on a trailer for an hour or more to some
d€dicat€d track that only opens on Fridays and Saturdays to people who
have placed a reservation, I typically choose the former. That includes
taking my orange turd (street legal) out for a spin and the mountainbike
of course.

Sure Munich does not sport any 100ft jumps and on the military trainig
ground nearby lures... well... military police, but there are still
options (read: escape plans).

Spouse's Yamaha WR250X unfortunately doesn't want to start. Fricking
EFI. I figure, there's something wrong with ground and the ECU doesn't
get enough juice or has floating voltage levels if the starter engages
and raises all kind of weird errors. I'll need to tear it apart and dig
into the wiring harness at some point. Whee. Fun.

Greets,
Volker