What awful irony is this? We are as gods, but know it not.

interests / rec.games.bridge / Biggest hands you've ever seen

SubjectAuthor
* Biggest hands you've ever seenJames Dow Allen
+- Biggest hands you've ever seenBertel Lund Hansen
+- Biggest hands you've ever seenJohn Hall
+- Biggest hands you've ever seen (And, do online bridge providers "juice" the handKenny McCormack
`* Biggest hands you've ever seenPaul N
 +- Biggest hands you've ever seenMister Johnson
 `- Biggest hands you've ever seenJohn Hall

1
Biggest hands you've ever seen

<d536b7c9-0ecd-4cd5-8e84-c091d2c1fad6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=405&group=rec.games.bridge#405

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Biggest hands you've ever seen
From: jdallen2000@yahoo.com (James Dow Allen)
 by: James Dow Allen - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 04:27 UTC

Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
A K Q J 9
A K Q J 7 2
A 10
(void)
"Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.

Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
up with exciting non-random hands?

Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?

Cheers,
James

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen

<ueofpd$17h6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=406&group=rec.games.bridge#406

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Subject: Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:00:28 +0200
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 05:00 UTC

James Dow Allen wrote:

> Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
> A K Q J 9
> A K Q J 7 2
> A 10
> (void)
> "Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
> perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>
> Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
> up with exciting non-random hands?
>
> Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
> with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?

Absolutely. Partner expects you to have next to no points and at most
two trumps. You have two strong cards, 4 trumps and 8 points.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen

<6Z14m+AfHAElFwp2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=407&group=rec.games.bridge#407

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:31:11 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:31 UTC

In message <d536b7c9-0ecd-4cd5-8e84-c091d2c1fad6n@googlegroups.com>,
James Dow Allen <jdallen2000@yahoo.com> writes
>Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
> A K Q J 9
> A K Q J 7 2
> A 10
> (void)
>"Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
>perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>
>Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
>up with exciting non-random hands?
>
>Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
>with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
>Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
>is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?

I think partner should start with 2C. Otherwise - even if you discount
the advance sacrifice possibility - there will be many hands where
partner is guessing whether to raise 6 to 7. In this case I think I'd
gamble and raise 6 to 7, but you shouldn't be put in the position where
you have to gamble. If the auction starts 2C-2D-2H (game forcing)-3H
(showing a better hand than 4H would do), then you ought to reach the
optimum 7NT. (After you raise hearts it's a fair bet that, even if you
lack the K of diamonds or 10 of spades, there will be an entry in
hearts.)
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen (And, do online bridge providers "juice" the hands?)

<uepflk$1a0v7$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=408&group=rec.games.bridge#408

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Subject: Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen (And, do online bridge providers "juice" the hands?)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:04:36 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:04 UTC

In article <d536b7c9-0ecd-4cd5-8e84-c091d2c1fad6n@googlegroups.com>,
James Dow Allen <jdallen2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
> A K Q J 9
> A K Q J 7 2
> A 10
> (void)
>"Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
>perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>
>Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
>up with exciting non-random hands?

I think they do - and that they are right to do so.

Some people get real uppity about this and say that they've done extensive
analyses of BBO (and OKB before that) hands and found them to be
"mathematically accurate". I think those people of FOS, but then it
becomes a "conspiracy theory" - and thus not provable one way or the other.

But there is an underlying assumption that it would be wrong and that thus
I am impugning the providers by saying the hands are juiced. But I don't
think it is bad and in fact, it makes the game more fun and interesting if
the hands are more wild than in a normal, boring, face-to-face game.

Think of it this way - they are in the entertainment business and if you
are in the entertainment biz, your job is to entertain. Just as with TV
and movies, things happen onscreen that would never happen in real life,
and people expect and understand this.

>Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
>with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
>Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
>is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?

I think that when pd opens 6H, he is throwing science to the winds on this
hand. I would not do anything other than pass.

But I think it was dumb to open this 6H. When you do that, it will almost
certainly go pass-pass-pass (as it did here) and the point is that you're
not going to get any kind of good score for bidding and making 6H on this
hand at any form of duplicate (either pairs or IMPs). It might be a
practical bid at rubber-for-money; take your $14 and go on to the next
hand. But at duplicate, it's going to be a (widely shared) bottom (or IMP
loss). The point is that you need to be doubled for it to be worthwhile.
So, for that reason as well the possibility of getting to a better spot
(i.e., 7N - or even a spade contract), you should walk the dog on this
hand. Open 2C and go from there. Or just open 1H and go from there (if
you really want to live it up!).

--
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/res_ipsa_loquitur

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen

<cbd0f944-1c12-490b-8f9b-0427f2983b5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=418&group=rec.games.bridge#418

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:57:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: gw7rib@aol.com (Paul N)
 by: Paul N - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:57 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 5:27:48 AM UTC+1, James Dow Allen wrote:
> Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
> A K Q J 9
> A K Q J 7 2
> A 10
> (void)
> "Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
> perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>
> Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
> up with exciting non-random hands?
>
> Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
> with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
> Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
> is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?

I think your partner was a bit hasty here - he can see that (barring a horrendous split) he can make 6H but he should also be able to see that if you have AC or KD he can make seven. By jumping so high he has rather lost the chance to investigate this. I don't know if it is possible to find out about KD but opening 4NT (Blackwood) would cover the other opportunity.

Given the position you were in, I can understand your hesitancy. AC will probably give him an extra trick he's not expecting, but this is not guaranteed. For instance, if his diamonds were AK and he was missing AH then he can't make seven. I think you're entitled to assume (wrongly in this case) that he'll make the same regardless of your hand, otherwise he would have asked.

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen

<iRuZM.407433$qkdf.17677@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=419&group=rec.games.bridge#419

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
From: root@example.net (Mister Johnson)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:49:02 GMT
 by: Mister Johnson - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:49 UTC

On 2023-10-23, Paul N <gw7rib@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 5:27:48 AM UTC+1, James Dow Allen wrote:
>> Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
>> A K Q J 9
>> A K Q J 7 2
>> A 10
>> (void)
>> "Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the strongest hand
>> perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>>
>> Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
>> up with exciting non-random hands?
>>
>> Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
>> with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
>> Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
>> is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?
>
> I think your partner was a bit hasty here - he can see that (barring a horrendous split) he can make 6H but he should also be able to see that if you have AC or KD he can make seven. By jumping so high he has rather lost the chance to investigate this. I don't know if it is possible to find out about KD but opening 4NT (Blackwood) would cover the other opportunity.
>
> Given the position you were in, I can understand your hesitancy. AC will probably give him an extra trick he's not expecting, but this is not guaranteed. For instance, if his diamonds were AK and he was missing AH then he can't make seven. I think you're entitled to assume (wrongly in this case) that he'll make the same regardless of your hand, otherwise he would have asked.

A great hand for opening Kabel 3NT!

3NT Ace ask
5C Ace of clubs
5NT King ask
6D King of diamonds
7H/7NT

Re: Biggest hands you've ever seen

<lMHnoRBKbpNlFwyY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=420&group=rec.games.bridge#420

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:52:42 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:52 UTC

In message <cbd0f944-1c12-490b-8f9b-0427f2983b5an@googlegroups.com>,
Paul N <gw7rib@aol.com> writes
>On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 5:27:480 >> Yesterday in the BBO Casual Game my partner held
>> A K Q J 9
>> A K Q J 7 2
>> A 10
>> (void)
>> "Only" 24 hcp -- (I had 26 hcp the week before) -- but still the
>>strongest hand
>> perhaps that I've ever seen from a legitimately shuffled deck.
>>
>> Which begs the question: Are BBO deals random? Or do they spice things
>> up with exciting non-random hands?
>>
>> Partner opened Six Hearts (non vs vul) with that hand and I passed
>> with xxx - T9xx - K - AJ9xx. Should I have raised to Seven?
>> Or should partner start with Two Clubs, so that I don't worry 6H
>> is an advance sacrifice with x - QJTxxxxxxxx - x - (void) ?
>
>I think your partner was a bit hasty here - he can see that (barring a
>horrendous split) he can make 6H but he should also be able to see that
>if you have AC or KD he can make seven. By jumping so high he has
>rather lost the chance to investigate this. I don't know if it is
>possible to find out about KD but opening 4NT (Blackwood) would cover
>the other opportunity.

A snag is that even if he has the club Ace, he's still going to need an
entry for it - one of the major suit Tens or any four hearts would do,
or even any three on a lucky day. Whether the chances of one of those
holdings is high enough to justify bidding the Grand if missing the KD I
don't know. With his actual hand, of course, they are no fewer than four
entries.

>Given the position you were in, I can understand your hesitancy. AC
>will probably give him an extra trick he's not expecting, but this is
>not guaranteed. For instance, if his diamonds were AK and he was
>missing AH then he can't make seven. I think you're entitled to assume
>(wrongly in this case) that he'll make the same regardless of your
>hand, otherwise he would have asked.

With a decent partner you should be able to find out if they have the KD
or AC through a cue-bidding sequence. After 2C-2D, I think a jump to 3H
should set the suit and ask partner to bid any control. So:

2C 2D
3H 4C
4S 5D
7H (if you could be sure that partner's club control is the Ace rather
than King, you could even bid 7NT)

The trouble is, of course, that in a casual game you probably don't know
if partner is decent.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people