A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.

interests / rec.games.bridge / Re: Computer bidding

SubjectAuthor
* Computer biddingPaul N
`- Computer biddingJohn Hall

1
Computer bidding

<04f4ab50-a79e-4c20-b259-a74957c2fac8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=421&group=rec.games.bridge#421

Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 05:02:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Computer bidding
From: gw7rib@aol.com (Paul N)
 by: Paul N - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:02 UTC

I frequently play the bridge game at the website freewebarcade, where you play South and the other hands are bid and played by the computer (except when South is dummy, in which case you get to play North). I find some of the bidding strange and there seems no way to ask about it, so I was wondering if it made sense in some system or if computers (or this program in particular) simply weren't that good?

I had one hand where West opened 1 Spade, and North doubled. In a normal game I'd assume that was a take-out double. I had five hearts and two spades so bid 2H. North raised to 4S, which I passed. When it came to the play, North also had only two spades so it didn't go well. Should I have bid differently? It seems odd to bid a suit the opponents have opened so North may have been trying to tell me something, but I don't know what - and that particular bid seems to remove any sensible contracts you might end up in. Any ideas?

Re: Computer bidding

<6ouT5AC0XPXlFwCA@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=422&group=rec.games.bridge#422

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Subject: Re: Computer bidding
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:24:52 +0000
 by: John Hall - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:24 UTC

In message <04f4ab50-a79e-4c20-b259-a74957c2fac8n@googlegroups.com>,
Paul N <gw7rib@aol.com> writes
>I frequently play the bridge game at the website freewebarcade, where
>you play South and the other hands are bid and played by the computer
>(except when South is dummy, in which case you get to play North). I
>find some of the bidding strange and there seems no way to ask about
>it, so I was wondering if it made sense in some system or if computers
>(or this program in particular) simply weren't that good?

I believe that the best programs are now very good, but it sounds like
this program isn't one of the best!

>I had one hand where West opened 1 Spade, and North doubled. In a
>normal game I'd assume that was a take-out double. I had five hearts
>and two spades so bid 2H. North raised to 4S, which I passed. When it
>came to the play, North also had only two spades so it didn't go well.
>Should I have bid differently? It seems odd to bid a suit the opponents
>have opened so North may have been trying to tell me something, but I
>don't know what - and that particular bid seems to remove any sensible
>contracts you might end up in. Any ideas?

None.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people