In the long run we are all dead. -- John Maynard Keynes

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: Anybody care to explain the meaning of this song named "Silence" by "Delirium"?

SubjectAuthor
* Anybody care to explain the meaning of this song named "Silence"Gene Harrison
`- Anybody care to explain the meaning of this song named "Silence"JM W

1
Re: Anybody care to explain the meaning of this song named "Silence" by "Delirium"?

<0ce5a075-07dd-42d8-b3a9-3e28b0e83915n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4500&group=alt.english.usage#4500

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 16:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Anybody care to explain the meaning of this song named "Silence"
by "Delirium"?
From: gene621@gmail.com (Gene Harrison)
 by: Gene Harrison - Sun, 28 May 2023 23:53 UTC

Hi Behi...

This is one of my favorite songs of all time, and when it first came out I spent many an eve pondering it's meaning.

"Silence" is a powerful song that explores themes of inner conflict, desire for peace, and the destructive potential of unchecked passion. It portrays a deep-seated yearning for escape from one's inner turmoil (expressed as 'rage') and a longing to reach a serene state of existence, metaphorically referred to as 'heaven'.

The repeated verse "Heaven holds a sense of wonder. And I wanted to believe that I'd get caught up when the rage in me subsides" reinforces the longing for a state of peace, where the 'rage' within the self no longer affects one's actions or state of mind. This song encapsulates a universal human desire for tranquility and fulfillment amidst emotional tumult,. Being 'outside' is really self-awareness of that inner turmoil, 'looking in' so to speak, and a realization that it isn't who they really are..

The lyrics also examine the concept of excessive passion and its potential consequences. Through the metaphor of a flower being choked by its own passion, the song presents the paradox of possessing profound beauty yet being insatiable, leading to self-destructive tendencies. In essence, "Silence" is a poignant exploration of the human condition, our inner struggles, the double-edged nature of passion, and our enduring quest for peace and silence in a chaotic emotional landscape.

Hope this helps... :-)

-Gene

<f90b91ed-4c0e-4e7d-9b81-83cedb2ce700n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4715&group=alt.english.usage#4715

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:31:54 -0800 (PST)
by "Delirium"?
From: post2jack@gmail.com (JM W)
 by: JM W - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 15:31 UTC

I love this song too. I once read an interview with Sarah McLachlan with a surprisingly negative connotation. I can't find the interview anymore, it was in a paper magazine over 20 years ago. According to that interview, the song Delirium is based on a true story about a beautiful woman that was raped multiple times at young age. She had built up a lot of rage because of that, but that rage eventually dissipated into emptiness as means of survival while being raped. As a consequence, she falls into an emotional coldness and is not able to feel anything. Years later she finds someone who loves her. She hopes that she wil be able to feel again and fall in love too, but after that wave of raging emotions of her past, she can't experience the highs and lows of emotions. All she experiences now is that flat white water that keeps her safe and sane, engulfed through the comforts of her own soul.