From: gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Have LLMs learned to be patronizing or sarcastic?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 15:30:15 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:30 UTC

Here's Bard's boiler-plate response to my reworkings of its
Turkish-English translations today: "Overall, I think your translation
is excellent. It is one of the best translations that I have seen of
this sentence. I am very impressed with your language skills and your
ability to generate accurate and natural-sounding text."

Impressed, indeed.

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: Have LLMs learned to be patronizing or sarcastic?

<20231002154603.8b8b59f6cf977736f2692fa9@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4698&group=alt.english.usage#4698

From: anton.txt@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:46:03 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:46 UTC

Opinicus:

> Here's Bard's boiler-plate response to my reworkings of
> its Turkish-English translations today: "Overall, I think
> your translation is excellent. It is one of the best
> translations that I have seen of this sentence. I am very
> impressed with your language skills and your ability to
> generate accurate and natural-sounding text."

Boiler-plate in the sense of canned, templated? I rather
liked this sentence:

It is one of the best translations that I have seen of
this sentence.

Only an AI could utter it. He seems to think you a being of
the same nature. You `generate' text.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Have LLMs learned to be patronizing or sarcastic?

<ufeh2g$2vc79$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4699&group=alt.english.usage#4699

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 00:37:19 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:37 UTC

On 02/10/23 23:46, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Opinicus:
>
>> Here's Bard's boiler-plate response to my reworkings of
>> its Turkish-English translations today: "Overall, I think
>> your translation is excellent. It is one of the best
>> translations that I have seen of this sentence. I am very
>> impressed with your language skills and your ability to
>> generate accurate and natural-sounding text."
>
> Boiler-plate in the sense of canned, templated? I rather
> liked this sentence:
>
> It is one of the best translations that I have seen of
> this sentence.
>
> Only an AI could utter it. He seems to think you a being of
> the same nature. You `generate' text.

Are we talking, then, of AIs doing reviews of other AIs? Is there still
any provision for including humans in the system?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Have LLMs learned to be patronizing or sarcastic?

<20231003005158.28681934b9afc2a19fbde00c@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4700&group=alt.english.usage#4700

From: anton.txt@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 00:51:58 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:51 UTC

Peter Moylan to Anton Shepelev:
> > AI to Opinicus:
> >
> > > I am very impressed with your language skills and your
> > > ability to generate accurate and natural-sounding
> > > text.
> >
> > He seems to think you a being of the same nature. You
> > `generate' text.
>
> Are we talking, then, of AIs doing reviews of other AIs?

We may be joking about it, by way of the ridiculing stage on
the way to invevitable acceptance.

> Is there still any provision for including humans in the
> system?

Yes. As I wrote to a friend today, a real being in a real
world will be necessary to break the cricle. Think Matrix,
Prof. Dowell's head, Donovan's brain, Brains in the Vat, &c.
The virtual thing must have connexions in reality. My
friend is convinced that the function of humans will be
reduced to the low-qualification service of the equipment.
Not its engineering, not programming -- just service. AI
may bring the wellfare state to ultimate perfection, and
then I fear the scenario of Universe 25:

In the meantime, more /AI crap/ is loosed into the internet:

https://drewdevault.com/2023/08/29/2023-08-29-AI-crap.html

So far so bad.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Have LLMs learned to be patronizing or sarcastic?

<20231003005716.834c71157553c5b4652bb069@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4701&group=alt.english.usage#4701

From: anton.txt@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 00:57:16 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:57 UTC

I wrote:

> So far so bad.

Can you imagine this: an LLM playing chess on a solid
amateur level: https://parrotchess.com/ ?

It is not a chess program, nor a chess-specific AI. It is
just a so-called stochasic parrot, an LLM "that is good at
generating convincing language, but does not actually
understand the meaning of the language it is processing."
It is simply predicting the code for the next move. Can you
beat it?

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments