You never gain something but that you lose something. -- Thoreau

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: Obsolete verbs?

SubjectAuthor
* Obsolete verbs?Steve Hayes
`* Obsolete verbs?occam
 `* Obsolete verbs?Ed Cryer
  `* Obsolete verbs?occam
   `* Obsolete verbs?Ed Cryer
    +- Obsolete verbs?occam
    `* Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
     `* Obsolete verbs?Anton Shepelev
      `* Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
       `- Obsolete verbs?Anton Shepelev

1
Obsolete verbs?

<f4a1li14qkkp43599q0ok7sd1vqib90d12@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4714&group=alt.english.usage#4714

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Obsolete verbs?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:27:46 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:27 UTC

The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
dropped out of everyday usage.

I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
Patriot" of 2 centuries ago:

"Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<uivajr$15hgh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4716&group=alt.english.usage#4716

From: occam@erewhon.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Obsolete verbs?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:20:11 +0100
 by: occam - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:20 UTC

On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
> dropped out of everyday usage.
>
> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:

Say no more.

> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."

I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
Positively archaic.

'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
days - by 're-inventing' his image.

As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
illegal drugs.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujivsp$ur9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4717&group=alt.english.usage#4717

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:19:27 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:19 UTC

occam wrote:
> On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>
>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:
>
> Say no more.
>

>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>>

> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
> Positively archaic.
>
> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>
> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
> illegal drugs.

Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.

Ed

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ks5u16FbejhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4720&group=alt.english.usage#4720

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:56:05 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:56 UTC

On 21/11/2023 20:19, Ed Cryer wrote:
> occam wrote:
>> On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>>
>>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>>> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:
>>
>> Say no more.
>>

>>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>>>

>> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
>> Positively archaic.
>>
>> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
>> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>>
>> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
>> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
>> illegal drugs.
>
> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.

I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
recreational drug taking.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujkrkp$1atk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4721&group=alt.english.usage#4721

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:18:33 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

occam wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 20:19, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> occam wrote:

>>> Say no more.

>>> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
>>> Positively archaic.
>>>
>>> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
>>> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>>>
>>> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
>>> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
>>> illegal drugs.
>>
>> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
>> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.
>>

> I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
> drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
> bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
> recreational drug taking.

I suppose it varies from country to country.
In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
recreational activities.
Behind that I'd place things like;
Gardening
Online Gaming
Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

Ed

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ks6brdFfgpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4722&group=alt.english.usage#4722

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:51:56 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:51 UTC

On 22/11/2023 13:18, Ed Cryer wrote:
> occam wrote:

>>> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or
>>> bowls.
>>> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.
>>>

>> I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
>> drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
>> bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
>> recreational drug taking.
>>

> I suppose it varies from country to country.
> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
> recreational activities.
> Behind that I'd place things like;
> Gardening
> Online Gaming
> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

Er... Ed, you should know that those are activities which people freely
admit to. My first-on-the-list recreational activity is not something
people admit to. Neither young nor old.

Let's revisit the issue when soft drugs become officially legalised in
the UK.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujl28n$1bub4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4723&group=alt.english.usage#4723

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:12:39 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:12 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> I suppose it varies from country to country.
> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
> recreational activities.
> Behind that I'd place things like;
> Gardening
> Online Gaming
> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

https://www.statista.com/topics/8281/video-gamer-demographics-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/#topicOverview

The United Kingdom (UK) is one of the biggest gaming markets in
Europe. Video games are a popular entertainment option and the number
of video game users in the UK is projected to reach 57.56 million in
2027, up from 51.21 million gamers in 2023

https://www.statista.com/statistics/301331/online-gaming-in-the-uk/

A September to November 2022 survey found that almost seven in ten
gamers in the United Kingdom ever played games online.

That corresponds to 35 million online gamers. Are there as many fishers?

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122172957.58f53d059bd471c8d18ecf23@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4724&group=alt.english.usage#4724

From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:29:57 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:29 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen:

> That corresponds to 35 million online gamers. Are there as
> many fishers?

Computer gaming, and especially the most popular forms of
online gaming, such as MMROGs (not even good old MUDs over
Telnet!) are hardly recreational in that they do not create
one anew, bur rather suck one empty in more than one sense.

I am playing WinSPWW2 online with a guy from Australia at a
about four moves a week. This is a play-by-email game: you
save you move and send it to your opponent by e-mail.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujl5v6$1ch2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4725&group=alt.english.usage#4725

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:15:50 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:15 UTC

Anton Shepelev wrote:

> Computer gaming, and especially the most popular forms of
> online gaming, such as MMROGs (not even good old MUDs over
> Telnet!) are hardly recreational in that they do not create
> one anew, bur rather suck one empty in more than one sense.

Have you experience with online gaming?

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122191012.03287f8c48228d6ee3c31d4c@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4726&group=alt.english.usage#4726

From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 19:10:12 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:10 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen:

> Have you experience with online gaming?

Yes. I have played several PBEM games and MUDs. I have
shunned MMORPGs like the plague.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments