From: Gleb.Hlebov@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (Gleb Hlebov)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: what should I stick with
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 11:54:19 +0200
 by: Gleb Hlebov - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 09:54 UTC

A.E.U or A.U.E?

--
No keyboard present
Hit F1 to continue

Re: what should I stick with

<20231208142605.f0c7c88bfc5dc509f6be8eb8@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4744&group=alt.english.usage#4744

From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: what should I stick with
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:26:05 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:26 UTC

Gleb Hlebov:

> A.E.U or A.U.E?

Please, do not split your messages into subject and body.
The subject is not part of the message, but rather a summary
thereof. The article body alone should be self-sufficient.

alt.usage.english is the more populated group.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

what should I stick with

<1702293400@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4746&group=alt.english.usage#4746

From: Gleb.Hlebov@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (Gleb Hlebov)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:16:49 +0200
 by: Gleb Hlebov - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:16 UTC

Hi!

On 08.12.2023 16:26:05, Anton Shepelev wrote:

>> A.E.U or A.U.E?
>Please, do not split your messages into subject and body.

I guess it's a "bad trait", of sorts, coming from Fidonet.

>The subject is not part of the message, but rather a summary
>thereof. The article body alone should be self-sufficient.

Trying to outnerd me? You win. ;-)

>alt.usage.english is the more populated group.

It's more like a general chit-chat. Well, at least it's alive.

--
No keyboard present
Hit F1 to continue

Re: what should I stick with

<XnsB0D7A8E5F785Awhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4747&group=alt.english.usage#4747

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:36:12 GMT
 by: HVS - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:36 UTC

On 11 Dec 2023, Gleb Hlebov wrote

> Hi!
>
> On 08.12.2023 16:26:05, Anton Shepelev wrote:
>
>>> A.E.U or A.U.E?
>> Please, do not split your messages into subject and body.
>
> I guess it's a "bad trait", of sorts, coming from Fidonet.
>
>> The subject is not part of the message, but rather a summary
>> thereof. The article body alone should be self-sufficient.
>
> Trying to outnerd me? You win. ;-)
>
>> alt.usage.english is the more populated group.
>
> It's more like a general chit-chat. Well, at least it's alive.

Many AUE threads start on topic, but after a few responses the
discussion will often (or even usually) go off in another direction.
It'a often prompted by a comment about food; sometimes about sheep;
and all too frequently morphs into decades-long pissing contests
between certain regular posters.

It gives them something to do and keeps them off the streets, I
suppose...

--
Cheers, Harvey

what should I stick with

<1702376700@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4748&group=alt.english.usage#4748

From: Gleb.Hlebov@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (Gleb Hlebov)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:25:04 +0200
 by: Gleb Hlebov - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:25 UTC

Hi!

On 11.12.2023 18:36:12, HVS wrote:

> >> alt.usage.english is the more populated group.
> > It's more like a general chit-chat. Well, at least it's alive.
>
> Many AUE threads start on topic, but after a few responses the
> discussion will often (or even usually) go off in another direction.
> It'a often prompted by a comment about food; sometimes about sheep;
> and all too frequently morphs into decades-long pissing contests
> between certain regular posters.

This is what it looks like, yes. But how come there are two "the
same but different" groups? And which one came first?

> It gives them something to do and keeps them off the streets, I
> suppose...

This might be a good idea, really. :-)

--
Rather than a beep
Or a rude error message,

Re: what should I stick with

<XnsB0D8788A5CB84whhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4749&group=alt.english.usage#4749

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 11:50:58 GMT
 by: HVS - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 11:50 UTC

On 12 Dec 2023, Gleb Hlebov wrote

> Hi!

>>> It's more like a general chit-chat. Well, at least it's alive.
>>
>> Many AUE threads start on topic, but after a few responses the
>> discussion will often (or even usually) go off in another
direction.
>> It'a often prompted by a comment about food; sometimes about
sheep;
>> and all too frequently morphs into decades-long pissing contests
>> between certain regular posters.
>
> This is what it looks like, yes. But how come there are two "the
> same but different" groups? And which one came first?

AIUI, the AUE/AEU thing dated back to the early days of Usenet, when
posting to a non-existent group could in some instances automatically
cause that group to be created.

Thus someone who wanted to post to alt.usage.english posted instead
to alt.english.usage, and inadvertently created the second group.
I'm not sure that it was ever established which group came first -- I
always assumed it was AUE -- but it was in the early days.

AEU was relatively active in the Usenet's heyday, but was always the
less-visited of the two groups. The discussions in AEU were also
notably more civilised/less confrontational than some of those in
AUE, which all too often descended into nasty exchanges (which some
boringly childish posters revelled in). I had a large kill-file for
AUE....

It's a pity AEU disappeared, but given that it had a less-active
readership to start with, it was more vulnerable to being abandoned.

--
Cheers, Harvey