Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoopsMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoopsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoopsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoopsDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoopsJoshua Kreitzer
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanPlaces, US college hoopsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<4lOdnbTQUIWFWfz5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4758&group=rec.games.trivia#4758

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 05:33:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 15 May 2023 05:33 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names

Game 7 had no Canadiana round, so this time, once again, you get
an extra one.

In each case, name the place. #1-8 are all capitals of their
province or territory. Answers will not repeat.

1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
translated to French and later English from the original
Portuguese.

2. This city was named after a prince in 1783. The spelling was
shortened soon afterwards.

3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
George III.

4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
by the local Athapaskan natives.

5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

6. This town's name was changed from Frobisher Bay in 1984, after
the residents voted 310-213 for a name meaning "place of fish"
in Inuktitut.

7. This city's name derives from nearby rapids, thought to
resemble part of an animal. The rapids disappeared when a dam
was constructed. The Guinness book of world records has listed
the city as the one with the least air pollution in the world.

8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

The last two cities, #9-10, are not capitals. Please decode the
rot13 to see question #9 only after you have finished with #1-8.

9. Va fcvgr bs vgf anzr, guvf pvgl bs 130,000 vf ybpngrq ng gur
pbasyhrapr bs gur Fg-Znhevpr naq Fg. Ynjerapr Eviref. Sbhaqrq
va 1634, vg jnf gur frpbaq creznarag frggyrzrag va Arj Senapr,
nsgre gur pvgl bs Dhéorp.

10. Rudyard Kipling described the area around this place having
"all hell for a basement" in reference to local gas deposits.
In 1910 the town council considered adopting a more conventional
name, and wrote to Kipling for advice. He urged them to keep
their existing name, which they did. Today the population
is 60,000.

* Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - NCAA College Basketball Teams

We give you the name and location of a university, and a clue.
You answer with the name of their team. All teams made it at least
as far as the round of 32 in the "March Madness" men's basketball
championship """this year""".

1. University of Florida, Gainseville. Clue: animal.
2. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Clue: team color.
3. San Diego State, California. Clue: historic empire.
4. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Clue: animal.
5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Clue: animal.
6. Michigan State University, Lansing. Clue: ancient Europeans.
7. University of Louisville, Kentucky. Clue: bird.
8. Iowa State University, Ames. Clue: type of storm.
9. Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Clue: two words
including the team color.
10. University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio. Clue: it refers to a
local invention.

--
Mark Brader | "It seems my sense of humour is out of step
Toronto | not only with rec.puzzles, but with reality itself."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<u3srus$30kqa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4762&group=rec.games.trivia#4762

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 01:53:46 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 15 May 2023 08:53 UTC

On 5/14/23 22:33, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names
>
> Game 7 had no Canadiana round, so this time, once again, you get
> an extra one.
>
> In each case, name the place. #1-8 are all capitals of their
> province or territory. Answers will not repeat.
>
> 1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
> translated to French and later English from the original
> Portuguese.

St John's

> 2. This city was named after a prince in 1783. The spelling was
> shortened soon afterwards.

Fredericton

> 3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
> George III.

Charlottetown

> 4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
> by the local Athapaskan natives.

Yellowknife

> 5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
> The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

Quebec City

> 6. This town's name was changed from Frobisher Bay in 1984, after
> the residents voted 310-213 for a name meaning "place of fish"
> in Inuktitut.

Iqaluit

> 7. This city's name derives from nearby rapids, thought to
> resemble part of an animal. The rapids disappeared when a dam
> was constructed. The Guinness book of world records has listed
> the city as the one with the least air pollution in the world.

Whitehorse

> 8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

Winnipeg

> The last two cities, #9-10, are not capitals. Please decode the
> rot13 to see question #9 only after you have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. Va fcvgr bs vgf anzr, guvf pvgl bs 130,000 vf ybpngrq ng gur
> pbasyhrapr bs gur Fg-Znhevpr naq Fg. Ynjerapr Eviref. Sbhaqrq
> va 1634, vg jnf gur frpbaq creznarag frggyrzrag va Arj Senapr,
> nsgre gur pvgl bs Dhéorp.

Trois-Rivieres

> 10. Rudyard Kipling described the area around this place having
> "all hell for a basement" in reference to local gas deposits.
> In 1910 the town council considered adopting a more conventional
> name, and wrote to Kipling for advice. He urged them to keep
> their existing name, which they did. Today the population
> is 60,000.

Medicine Hat

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - NCAA College Basketball Teams
>
> We give you the name and location of a university, and a clue.
> You answer with the name of their team. All teams made it at least
> as far as the round of 32 in the "March Madness" men's basketball
> championship """this year""".
>
> 1. University of Florida, Gainseville. Clue: animal.

Gators

> 2. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Clue: team color.

Crimson

> 3. San Diego State, California. Clue: historic empire.

Aztecs

> 4. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Clue: animal.

Badgers

> 5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Clue: animal.

Wolverines

> 6. Michigan State University, Lansing. Clue: ancient Europeans.

Spartans

> 7. University of Louisville, Kentucky. Clue: bird.

Cardinals

> 8. Iowa State University, Ames. Clue: type of storm.

Cyclones

> 9. Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Clue: two words
> including the team color.

Blue Devils

> 10. University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio. Clue: it refers to a
> local invention.

Flyers

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<XnsB005E5A12B6E4Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4763&group=rec.games.trivia#4763

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 22:34:24 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 15 May 2023 20:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names
>
> Game 7 had no Canadiana round, so this time, once again, you get
> an extra one.
>
> 1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
> translated to French and later English from the original
> Portuguese.

St. John
> 2. This city was named after a prince in 1783. The spelling was
> shortened soon afterwards.

> 3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
> George III.

Charlottetown
> 4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
> by the local Athapaskan natives.

Winnipeg
> 5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
> The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

Calgary
> 6. This town's name was changed from Frobisher Bay in 1984, after
> the residents voted 310-213 for a name meaning "place of fish"
> in Inuktitut.

Iqualit

> 8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

Saskatoon

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<u3ud4i$pjk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4764&group=rec.games.trivia#4764

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 22:53:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 15 May 2023 22:53 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names

> 1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
> translated to French and later English from the original
> Portuguese.

St. John; St. John's

> 3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
> George III.

Regina

> 4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
> by the local Athapaskan natives.

Yellowknife

> 5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
> The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

Toronto

> 7. This city's name derives from nearby rapids, thought to
> resemble part of an animal. The rapids disappeared when a dam
> was constructed. The Guinness book of world records has listed
> the city as the one with the least air pollution in the world.

Whitehorse

> 8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

Toronto

> 9. Va fcvgr bs vgf anzr, guvf pvgl bs 130,000 vf ybpngrq ng gur
> pbasyhrapr bs gur Fg-Znhevpr naq Fg. Ynjerapr Eviref. Sbhaqrq
> va 1634, vg jnf gur frpbaq creznarag frggyrzrag va Arj Senapr,
> nsgre gur pvgl bs Dh?orp.

Trois-Rivieres

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - NCAA College Basketball Teams

> 1. University of Florida, Gainseville. Clue: animal.

Gators

> 2. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Clue: team color.

Crimson

> 3. San Diego State, California. Clue: historic empire.

Romans

> 4. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Clue: animal.

Badgers

> 5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Clue: animal.

Wolverines

> 6. Michigan State University, Lansing. Clue: ancient Europeans.

Spartans

> 7. University of Louisville, Kentucky. Clue: bird.

Cardinals

> 8. Iowa State University, Ames. Clue: type of storm.

Tornados

> 9. Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Clue: two words
> including the team color.

Blue Devils

> 10. University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio. Clue: it refers to a
> local invention.

Wrights

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<a757fde6-e698-4429-a9a8-7523e8f61b0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4765&group=rec.games.trivia#4765

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 17:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 16 May 2023 00:32 UTC

On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 12:34:46 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names
>
> Game 7 had no Canadiana round, so this time, once again, you get
> an extra one.
>
> In each case, name the place. #1-8 are all capitals of their
> province or territory. Answers will not repeat.
>
> 1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
> translated to French and later English from the original
> Portuguese.

St. John's; St. John

> 2. This city was named after a prince in 1783. The spelling was
> shortened soon afterwards.

Edmonton

> 3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
> George III.

Charlottetown

> 4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
> by the local Athapaskan natives.

Yellowknife

> 5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
> The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

Toronto

> 6. This town's name was changed from Frobisher Bay in 1984, after
> the residents voted 310-213 for a name meaning "place of fish"
> in Inuktitut.

Iqaluit

> 7. This city's name derives from nearby rapids, thought to
> resemble part of an animal. The rapids disappeared when a dam
> was constructed. The Guinness book of world records has listed
> the city as the one with the least air pollution in the world.

Whitehorse

> 8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

Winnipeg

> The last two cities, #9-10, are not capitals. Please decode the
> rot13 to see question #9 only after you have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. Va fcvgr bs vgf anzr, guvf pvgl bs 130,000 vf ybpngrq ng gur
> pbasyhrapr bs gur Fg-Znhevpr naq Fg. Ynjerapr Eviref. Sbhaqrq
> va 1634, vg jnf gur frpbaq creznarag frggyrzrag va Arj Senapr,
> nsgre gur pvgl bs Dhéorp.

Trois-Rivieres

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - NCAA College Basketball Teams
>
> We give you the name and location of a university, and a clue.
> You answer with the name of their team.
>
> 1. University of Florida, Gainseville. Clue: animal.

Gators

> 2. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Clue: team color.

Crimson
> 3. San Diego State, California. Clue: historic empire.

Aztecs

> 4. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Clue: animal.

Badgers

> 5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Clue: animal.

Wolverines

> 6. Michigan State University, Lansing. Clue: ancient Europeans.

Spartans

> 7. University of Louisville, Kentucky. Clue: bird.

Cardinals
> 8. Iowa State University, Ames. Clue: type of storm.

Cyclones

> 9. Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Clue: two words
> including the team color.

Blue Devils

> 10. University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio. Clue: it refers to a
> local invention.

Flyers

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanPlaces, US college hoops

<5lGdnVy2LbeSXvj5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4766&group=rec.games.trivia#4766

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanPlaces, US college hoops
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 06:17:51 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 18 May 2023 06:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Place Names

> Game 7 had no Canadiana round, so this time, once again, you get
> an extra one.

> In each case, name the place. #1-8 are all capitals of their
> province or territory. Answers will not repeat.

> 1. This city's name has stayed more or less the same despite being
> translated to French and later English from the original
> Portuguese.

St. John's. St. John is a different city and is not a capital.
4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 2. This city was named after a prince in 1783. The spelling was
> shortened soon afterwards.

Fredericton (originally Fredericktown or Frederick's town).
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. In 1765, this town was named for the Queen married to King
> George III.

Charlottetown. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.

Regina and Victoria were both guessed in 2014, and one of them
again this time. In fact both were named after Queen Victoria
(whose husband was Prince Albert), which is why they were both
correct answers in my Rare Entries contest MSB36 in 2003.

> 4. This name is not native, but refers to the copper tools used
> by the local Athapaskan natives.

Yellowknife. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 5. This city's name refers to a strait or narrow channel in a river.
> The Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages all use the same word.

Québec. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. This town's name was changed from Frobisher Bay in 1984, after
> the residents voted 310-213 for a name meaning "place of fish"
> in Inuktitut.

Iqaluit. (In Nunavut.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.

> 7. This city's name derives from nearby rapids, thought to
> resemble part of an animal. The rapids disappeared when a dam
> was constructed. The Guinness book of world records has listed
> the city as the one with the least air pollution in the world.

Whitehorse. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. This name comes from the Cree word for murky water.

Winnipeg. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> The last two cities, #9-10, are not capitals. Please decode the
> rot13 to see question #9 only after you have finished with #1-8.

> 9. In spite of its name, this city of 130,000 is located at the
> confluence of the St-Maurice and St. Lawrence Rivers. Founded
> in 1634, it was the second permanent settlement in New France,
> after the city of Québec.

Trois-Rivières (accepting Three Rivers). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 10. Rudyard Kipling described the area around this place having
> "all hell for a basement" in reference to local gas deposits.
> In 1910 the town council considered adopting a more conventional
> name, and wrote to Kipling for advice. He urged them to keep
> their existing name, which they did. Today the population
> is 60,000.

Medicine Hat. 4 for Dan Tilque.

If you really want hell for a basement, though, you have to go
to Turkmenistan. Look up "Darvaza gas crater" in Wikipedia.
Incidentally, according to a news report """earlier this year""",
the Turkmens """are""" planning to turn the place into a tourist
attraction.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - NCAA College Basketball Teams

> We give you the name and location of a university, and a clue.
> You answer with the name of their team. All teams made it at least
> as far as the round of 32 in the "March Madness" men's basketball
> championship """this year""".

> 1. University of Florida, Gainseville. Clue: animal.

Gators. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Clue: team color.

Crimson. (Not Crimson Tide, a different team's name.) 4 for
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. San Diego State, California. Clue: historic empire.

Aztecs. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 4. University of Wisconsin, Madison. Clue: animal.

Badgers. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Clue: animal.

Wolverines. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 6. Michigan State University, Lansing. Clue: ancient Europeans.

Spartans. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 7. University of Louisville, Kentucky. Clue: bird.

Cardinals. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. Iowa State University, Ames. Clue: type of storm.

Cyclones. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 9. Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Clue: two words
> including the team color.

Blue Devils. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio. Clue: it refers to a
> local invention.

Flyers. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

"Vulcans" was an interesting guess in 2014, but Dayton is in
southwestern Ohio while Akron, where the Goodyear rubber company is
located, is in northeastern Ohio. Also, Charles Goodyear actually
invented vulcanization in Massachusetts; he was never connected with
the company, although it was named in his honor.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Sci Can Spo
Dan Tilque 0 40 40 40 120
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 27 40 106
Dan Blum 0 32 14 28 74
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 28
Pete Gayde 0 20 -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If gravity stops working, a power cut is
msb@vex.net | the least of your problems." -- David Bell