It is the business of the future to be dangerous. -- Hawkwind

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaPete Gayde
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaJoshua Kreitzer
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: horsey logos, Mao's ChinaMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<_POcnSHTraxzWfj5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4767&group=rec.games.trivia#4767

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 06:25:50 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 18 May 2023 06:25 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/horse.jpg

The elongated X-in-a-box marks show where an answer has been
removed. I have sorted the round in order of the handout, so the
8 decoys are interspersed with the questions; and them if you like
for fun, but for no points.

Some of them include prominent words, like "Chess" in C. In such
cases the words may or may not be part of the answer, but they
are never the complete answer.

1. Logo A (decoy).
2. Logo B (decoy).
3. Logo C: Name the company.
4. Logo D (decoy).
5. Logo E: Name the company.
6. Logo F: Name the company.
7. Logo G (decoy).
8. Logo H: Name the sports team.
9. Logo I: Originally a saddle and bridle maker, now a maker of
high-end leather goods and fashion. Name the company.
10. Logo J: What sort of products does this Winchester company make?
11. Logo K (decoy).
12. Logo L (decoy).
13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?
14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.
15. Logo O: Name the specific model of car, or just the maker.
16. Logo P: Name the clothing company.
17. Logo Q (decoy).
18. Logo R. (Decoy. And for more fun, but still for no points:
explain the two stick-like things.)

* Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China

The following round relates to the People's Republic of China in
and around the time when it was led by Mao Tse-Tung (or Zedong).
As usual, where a personal name is required you must give the
surname, which in this round would be the first name, e.g. Mao.

1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

2. Who was China's Prime Minister from 1949 till his death in 1976,
having a moderating influence on Mao's rule?

3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
What was this journey called?

4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
Republic of China not report?

7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
into the UN.

8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
People's Republic of China in April 1971?

9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
his years in power?

--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<XnsB0086D429C323Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4769&group=rec.games.trivia#4769

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:44:26 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 18 May 2023 08:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos
>
> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

Porsche

> 11. Logo K (decoy).

Ferrari

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China
>
> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1949
> 2. Who was China's Prime Minister from 1949 till his death in 1976,
> having a moderating influence on Mao's rule?

Chou En-Lai
> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?

The Long March
> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

The Giant Leap Forwards
> 5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
> criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
> Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
> political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

Culture Revolution
> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

Landing on the moon
> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.

USSR

> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

Table tennis
> 9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
> three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
> What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
> widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

Gang of Four
> 10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
> his years in power?

Pilot

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<u4536v$8phb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4771&group=rec.games.trivia#4771

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 04:46:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 18 May 2023 11:46 UTC

On 5/17/23 23:25, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/horse.jpg
>
> The elongated X-in-a-box marks show where an answer has been
> removed. I have sorted the round in order of the handout, so the
> 8 decoys are interspersed with the questions; and them if you like
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> Some of them include prominent words, like "Chess" in C. In such
> cases the words may or may not be part of the answer, but they
> are never the complete answer.
>
> 1. Logo A (decoy).
> 2. Logo B (decoy).
> 3. Logo C: Name the company.
> 4. Logo D (decoy).
> 5. Logo E: Name the company.

Godiva

> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

Porche

> 7. Logo G (decoy).

comics

> 8. Logo H: Name the sports team.

Denver Broncos

> 9. Logo I: Originally a saddle and bridle maker, now a maker of
> high-end leather goods and fashion. Name the company.

Louis Vinton

> 10. Logo J: What sort of products does this Winchester company make?

rifles

> 11. Logo K (decoy).
> 12. Logo L (decoy).
> 13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?

luggage

> 14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.

Teamsters

> 15. Logo O: Name the specific model of car, or just the maker.

Ford Mustang

> 16. Logo P: Name the clothing company.
> 17. Logo Q (decoy).
> 18. Logo R. (Decoy. And for more fun, but still for no points:
> explain the two stick-like things.)
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China
>
> The following round relates to the People's Republic of China in
> and around the time when it was led by Mao Tse-Tung (or Zedong).
> As usual, where a personal name is required you must give the
> surname, which in this round would be the first name, e.g. Mao.
>
> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1946

> 2. Who was China's Prime Minister from 1949 till his death in 1976,
> having a moderating influence on Mao's rule?
>
> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?

Long March

> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

Great Leap Forward

> 5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
> criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
> Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
> political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

Cultural Revolution

> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.

Soviet Union

> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

table tennis

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<u46upl$i8b$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4773&group=rec.games.trivia#4773

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:43:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 19 May 2023 04:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos

> Please see the handout at:

> Some of them include prominent words, like "Chess" in C. In such
> cases the words may or may not be part of the answer, but they
> are never the complete answer.

> 3. Logo C: Name the company.

Chess Records

> 5. Logo E: Name the company.

Godiva

> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

Porsche

> 8. Logo H: Name the sports team.

Colts

> 13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?

purses and other leather goods

> 14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.

Teamsters

> 15. Logo O: Name the specific model of car, or just the maker.

Ford Mustang

> 16. Logo P: Name the clothing company.

Burberry

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China

> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1949

> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?

The Long March

> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

The Great Leap Forward

> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

Apollo 11 moon landing

> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.

Egypt; Libya

> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

ping-pong

> 9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
> three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
> What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
> widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

Gang of Four

> 10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
> his years in power?

Great Helmsman

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<u48opm$pmsi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4777&group=rec.games.trivia#4777

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 16:13:26 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:13 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/horse.jpg
>
> The elongated X-in-a-box marks show where an answer has been
> removed. I have sorted the round in order of the handout, so the
> 8 decoys are interspersed with the questions; and them if you like
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> Some of them include prominent words, like "Chess" in C. In such
> cases the words may or may not be part of the answer, but they
> are never the complete answer.
>
> 1. Logo A (decoy).
> 2. Logo B (decoy).
> 3. Logo C: Name the company.
> 4. Logo D (decoy).
> 5. Logo E: Name the company.

Godiva

> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

Porsche

> 7. Logo G (decoy).
> 8. Logo H: Name the sports team.

Denver Broncos

> 9. Logo I: Originally a saddle and bridle maker, now a maker of
> high-end leather goods and fashion. Name the company.

Lancome

> 10. Logo J: What sort of products does this Winchester company make?

Firearms

> 11. Logo K (decoy).
> 12. Logo L (decoy).
> 13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?

Purses

> 14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.

Breeders; Jockeys

> 15. Logo O: Name the specific model of car, or just the maker.

Mustang

> 16. Logo P: Name the clothing company.
> 17. Logo Q (decoy).
> 18. Logo R. (Decoy. And for more fun, but still for no points:
> explain the two stick-like things.)
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China
>
> The following round relates to the People's Republic of China in
> and around the time when it was led by Mao Tse-Tung (or Zedong).
> As usual, where a personal name is required you must give the
> surname, which in this round would be the first name, e.g. Mao.
>
> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1947

> 2. Who was China's Prime Minister from 1949 till his death in 1976,
> having a moderating influence on Mao's rule?

Chou En Lai

> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?
>
> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.
>
> 5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
> criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
> Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
> political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

Cultural Revolution

> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

Moon Landing

> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.
>
> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

Table Tennis

> 9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
> three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
> What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
> widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

Gang of Four

> 10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
> his years in power?

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: horsey logos, Mao's China

<48c07997-cb00-4f0f-9a03-4723cf760a65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4781&group=rec.games.trivia#4781

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 20 May 2023 03:35 UTC

On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 1:27:24 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/horse.jpg
>
> 5. Logo E: Name the company.

Godiva

> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

BMW

> 8. Logo H: Name the sports team.

Denver Broncos

> 9. Logo I: Originally a saddle and bridle maker, now a maker of
> high-end leather goods and fashion. Name the company.

Balenciaga

> 10. Logo J: What sort of products does this Winchester company make?

guns

> 13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?

purses

> 14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.

Teamsters
> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China
>
> The following round relates to the People's Republic of China in
> and around the time when it was led by Mao Tse-Tung (or Zedong).
> As usual, where a personal name is required you must give the
> surname, which in this round would be the first name, e.g. Mao.
>
> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1949
> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?

the Long March
> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

Great Leap Forward

> 5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
> criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
> Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
> political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

Cultural Revolution

> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

Apollo 11 moon landing

> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.

India

> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

table tennis

> 9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
> three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
> What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
> widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

Gang of Four

> 10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
> his years in power?

the Great Helmsman

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: horsey logos, Mao's China

<XdSdnfnP28WnO_T5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4784&group=rec.games.trivia#4784

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: horsey logos, Mao's China
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 05:03:54 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 21 May 2023 05:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Horsey Logos

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/horse.jpg

> The elongated X-in-a-box marks show where an answer has been
> removed. I have sorted the round in order of the handout, so the
> 8 decoys are interspersed with the questions; and them if you like
> for fun, but for no points.

> Some of them include prominent words, like "Chess" in C. In such
> cases the words may or may not be part of the answer, but they
> are never the complete answer.

> 1. Logo A (decoy).

Levi Strauss Jeans.

> 2. Logo B (decoy).

This one actually isn't a logo, but a picture of one of
the characters: Rarity (a unicorn pony) from the Hasbro
toy line My Little Pony. Here's the brand's actual logo:
http://1000logos.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/My-Little-Pony-Logo-history-500x482.png

> 3. Logo C: Name the company.

Chess Records. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Logo D (decoy).

The Baojun, a car made and sold in China by GM in partnership with
two Chinese companies.

> 5. Logo E: Name the company.

Godiva. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. Logo F: Name the company.

Porsche. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Logo G (decoy).

Dark Horse Comics.

> 8. Logo H: Name the sports team.

Denver Broncos. (NFL football.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

"Broncos" was sufficient, but was not, as Rob Parker mentioned in
2014, to be confused with the Brisbane Broncos of Australian rugby:

http://1000logos.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Brisbane-Broncos-Logo-history.jpg

Or for that matter the Calgary Stampeders of CFL football:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_s_kU4XkAEPQts?format=jpg

> 9. Logo I: Originally a saddle and bridle maker, now a maker of
> high-end leather goods and fashion. Name the company.

Hermès ["air-MACE"].

> 10. Logo J: What sort of products does this Winchester company make?

Firearms. 4 for Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 11. Logo K (decoy).

Ferrari. Erland got this.

> 12. Logo L (decoy).

Pegasus Interactive (Computer Consulting), duh. Yes, from Greece.

> 13. Logo M: What sort of products does this Coach company make?

Similarly to Hermès, purses and bags and also clothing. I scored
"luggage" as almost correct. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.
3 for Dan Tilque.

> 14. Logo N: Complete the name of the organization.

Teamsters. (Labor union.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 15. Logo O: Name the specific model of car, or just the maker.

Ford Mustang. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 16. Logo P: Name the clothing company.

Burberry. 4 for Dan Blum.

"Prorsum", by the way, is one of several Latin words that mean
"forwards"; the opposite is "retrorsum".

> 17. Logo Q (decoy).

Detroit Pistons. (NBA basketball team.)

> 18. Logo R. (Decoy. And for more fun, but still for no points:
> explain the two stick-like things.)

Colt Firearms. The sticks are what's left of a spear that the horse,
defending its owner, has broken in half.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - Mao's China

> The following round relates to the People's Republic of China in
> and around the time when it was led by Mao Tse-Tung (or Zedong).
> As usual, where a personal name is required you must give the
> surname, which in this round would be the first name, e.g. Mao.

> 1. In what year was the People's Republic of China founded?

1949. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Who was China's Prime Minister from 1949 till his death in 1976,
> having a moderating influence on Mao's rule?

Zhou Enlai (or Chou En-Lai). 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 3. From October 1934 to October 1935, Mao and his followers went
> on a lengthy journey to evade the forces of the Kuomintang.
> What was this journey called?

The Long March. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 4. In 1958, what disastrous economic campaign did Mao begin?
> It was supposed to create rapid industrialization, but in fact
> resulted in famine for many millions of Chinese.

The Great Leap Forward. I scored "Giant Leap Forwards" as almost
correct. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua. 3 for Erland.

> 5. In 1965 Mao's wife Jiang Qing was involved in writing an article
> criticizing a historical drama called "Hai Rui Dismissed from
> Office", written by Beijing's deputy mayor Wu Han. What violent
> political Maoist campaign was this article the precursor to?

The (Great Proletariat) Cultural Revolution. 4 for Erland,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. Which major story in July 1969 did the news media of the People's
> Republic of China not report?

The Apollo 11 lunar landing. I accepted any reference to a lunar
landing. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Joshua.

> 7. In 1971 the People's Republic of China entered the United
> Nations and its Security Council, replacing the Republic
> of China, or Taiwan, which had represented China at the UN.
> Name the then member country of the UN, and also a close ally
> of the People's Republic of China, that sponsored their entry
> into the UN.

Albania.

> 8. After more than 20 years of frozen political relations between
> the People's Republic of China and the United States, relations
> finally thawed in 1971 after a secret visit by US Secretary of
> State Henry Kissinger to Beijing. What sport was instrumental
> in the thaw in relations after a US sports team visited the
> People's Republic of China in April 1971?

Ping-pong. 4 for everyone.

> 9. In 1976, shortly after Mao's death, Mao's wife Jiang Qing and
> three of her followers were arrested for anti-party activities.
> What term was used to describe this group of people? It is now
> widely used to describe any like-sized group of political allies.

The Gang of Four. 4 for everyone.

> 10. By what nautical-sounding term was Mao often referred to during
> his years in power?

The Great Helmsman. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci Can Spo Mis His FOUR
Dan Tilque 0 40 40 40 27 24 147
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 27 40 20 32 134
Dan Blum 0 32 14 28 28 28 116
Pete Gayde 0 20 -- -- 24 20 64
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 4 31 63

--
Mark Brader | ...politicians are forever seeking a "level playing field":
Toronto | it lets them talk out of both sides of their mouth.