"Our reruns are better than theirs." -- Nick at Nite

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: amino acids, Canadian directors

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsErland Sommarskog
+* QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsDan Blum
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directorsPete Gayde
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: amino acids, Canadian directorsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<wbucnUxe9Y-NG-j5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4814&group=rec.games.trivia#4814

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 05:13:52 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 30 May 2023 05:13 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids

Amino acids are the molecules that serve as building blocks for
proteins. This set of questions will focus on the 20 standard
amino acids that make up the proteins of the human body. Where
we ask for the name of an amino acid, we need the full name and
not an abbreviation.

1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
other element?

2. All amino acids belong to which class of acids, due to the
presence of a namesake COOH group? This class of acids also
includes acetic acid, the constituent acid of vinegar.

3. The other two species in an amino acid are a hydrogen atom and
a side chain that defines which acid it is. Name the simplest
amino acid, symbolized G, whose side chain is also just a
hydrogen atom.

4. 19 of the 20 amino acids can exist as "left-" and "right-handed"
isomers that are mirror images of each other. The exception is
glycine, because of its two identical hydrogen groups. What is
the chemical term for handedness in a molecular structure?

5. This amino acid, symbolized W, is a precursor to compounds like
serotonin and melatonin. But it is probably *not* the main
reason why turkey makes you sleepy. Name it.

6. Which amino acid, symbolized E, is a precursor to GABA and
names a class of biochemical receptors for compounds like NMDA?
You probably know it better for its sodium salt, a popular
flavor enhancer.

7. Tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine are aromatic amino
acids: they contain a functional group, which is what the
"phenyl" in phenylalanine refers to, that's related to a
ring-shaped molecule with formula C6H6. Name that molecule.

8. The Delta F508 mutation, a phenylalanine deletion, is the most
common cause for what genetic disorder? This disorder is
diagnosed by measuring chloride levels in a patient's sweat.

9. Phenylalanine and tryptophan are two of the nine amino acids
described by what adjective? These amino acids are not
sufficiently synthesized by the body, meaning that you must
ingest them from food.

10. Another <answer 9> amino acid is this one symbolized H. It is
a precursor to a hormone whose receptors are blocked by drugs
like Allegra or Reactine. Name *either* the amino acid or the
hormone.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Entertainment - Canadian Directors

Name them.

1. Born in Danville, Quebec, in 1880, he directed more than 311
movies over the course of his career, including multiple shorts
featuring the Keystone Kops or his namesake "Bathing Beauties".

2. Born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, in 1954, this director is
responsible for three of the four highest-grossing movies of
all time -- as well as "Piranha II: The Spawning".

3. Born in Toronto in 1926, this director founded the Canadian Film
Centre and was nominated for the Best Director Oscar in 1967 for
"In the Heat of the Night", in 1971 for "Fiddler on the Roof",
and again in 1987 for "Moonstruck".

4. Born in Toronto in 1979, this recent Oscar winner's feature-film
directorial debut "Away from Her" was released in 2006.
The director was 27 at the time, and had already spent over
20 years in show business.

5. Another recent Oscar winner, this Toronto-raised director
immigrated from China in 1991, when she was 2 years old.
She was the first woman to solo-direct a Pixar feature film,
which was released in 2022. Name her *or* that 2022 Pixar movie,
which was set in Toronto in 2002.

6. Born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1959, this director made his
name with an unofficial trilogy of rock-and-roll road movies --
"Roadkill" (1989), "Highway 61" (1991), and "Hard Core Logo"
(1996).

7. Born in 1932, this member of the Abenaki Nation began her career
as a singer before becoming a documentary filmmaker focused on
the lives of First-Nation Canadians. Her best-known work is the
1993 documentary "Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance", about
the 1990 Oka crisis. It's not *ironic* at all that she shares
her first name with another Canadian singer from the 1990s.

8. Born in India in 1950 and emigrating to Canada in 1973, this
director is best known for her Elements trilogy: "Fire" (1996),
"Earth" (1998), and "Water" (2005).

9. Born in Toronto in 1980, this director has taken his place
in the family business and achieved critical acclaim for the
science-fiction horror movies "Antiviral (2012)", "Possessor"
(2020), and "Infinity Pool" (2023).

10. Born in Montreal in 1963, this director had a successful
start in Quebec with "Black List" (1995) and "C.R.A.Z.Y."
(2005). This allowed him to move over to Hollywood, where he
directed Matthew MacConaughey and Jared Leto to acting Oscars in
"Dallas Buyers Club" (2013). He also directed the HBO miniseries
"Big Little Lies" (2017), for which he won an Emmy.

--
Mark Brader | We don't have "m"s in Florida. If it can't be measured
Toronto | in inches and feet, we don't measure it.

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<u545ao$1t2bf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4815&group=rec.games.trivia#4815

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 23:32:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 30 May 2023 06:32 UTC

On 5/29/23 22:13, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids
>
> Amino acids are the molecules that serve as building blocks for
> proteins. This set of questions will focus on the 20 standard
> amino acids that make up the proteins of the human body. Where
> we ask for the name of an amino acid, we need the full name and
> not an abbreviation.
>
> 1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
> chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
> group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
> other element?

nitrogen

> 2. All amino acids belong to which class of acids, due to the
> presence of a namesake COOH group? This class of acids also
> includes acetic acid, the constituent acid of vinegar.
>
> 3. The other two species in an amino acid are a hydrogen atom and
> a side chain that defines which acid it is. Name the simplest
> amino acid, symbolized G, whose side chain is also just a
> hydrogen atom.
>
> 4. 19 of the 20 amino acids can exist as "left-" and "right-handed"
> isomers that are mirror images of each other. The exception is
> glycine, because of its two identical hydrogen groups. What is
> the chemical term for handedness in a molecular structure?

chirality

> 5. This amino acid, symbolized W, is a precursor to compounds like
> serotonin and melatonin. But it is probably *not* the main
> reason why turkey makes you sleepy. Name it.

tryptophan

> 6. Which amino acid, symbolized E, is a precursor to GABA and
> names a class of biochemical receptors for compounds like NMDA?
> You probably know it better for its sodium salt, a popular
> flavor enhancer.
>
> 7. Tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine are aromatic amino
> acids: they contain a functional group, which is what the
> "phenyl" in phenylalanine refers to, that's related to a
> ring-shaped molecule with formula C6H6. Name that molecule.

benzine

> 8. The Delta F508 mutation, a phenylalanine deletion, is the most
> common cause for what genetic disorder? This disorder is
> diagnosed by measuring chloride levels in a patient's sweat.
>
> 9. Phenylalanine and tryptophan are two of the nine amino acids
> described by what adjective? These amino acids are not
> sufficiently synthesized by the body, meaning that you must
> ingest them from food.

essential

> 10. Another <answer 9> amino acid is this one symbolized H. It is
> a precursor to a hormone whose receptors are blocked by drugs
> like Allegra or Reactine. Name *either* the amino acid or the
> hormone.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Entertainment - Canadian Directors
>
> Name them.
>
> 1. Born in Danville, Quebec, in 1880, he directed more than 311
> movies over the course of his career, including multiple shorts
> featuring the Keystone Kops or his namesake "Bathing Beauties".
>
> 2. Born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, in 1954, this director is
> responsible for three of the four highest-grossing movies of
> all time -- as well as "Piranha II: The Spawning".
>
> 3. Born in Toronto in 1926, this director founded the Canadian Film
> Centre and was nominated for the Best Director Oscar in 1967 for
> "In the Heat of the Night", in 1971 for "Fiddler on the Roof",
> and again in 1987 for "Moonstruck".
>
> 4. Born in Toronto in 1979, this recent Oscar winner's feature-film
> directorial debut "Away from Her" was released in 2006.
> The director was 27 at the time, and had already spent over
> 20 years in show business.
>
> 5. Another recent Oscar winner, this Toronto-raised director
> immigrated from China in 1991, when she was 2 years old.
> She was the first woman to solo-direct a Pixar feature film,
> which was released in 2022. Name her *or* that 2022 Pixar movie,
> which was set in Toronto in 2002.
>
> 6. Born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1959, this director made his
> name with an unofficial trilogy of rock-and-roll road movies --
> "Roadkill" (1989), "Highway 61" (1991), and "Hard Core Logo"
> (1996).
>
> 7. Born in 1932, this member of the Abenaki Nation began her career
> as a singer before becoming a documentary filmmaker focused on
> the lives of First-Nation Canadians. Her best-known work is the
> 1993 documentary "Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance", about
> the 1990 Oka crisis. It's not *ironic* at all that she shares
> her first name with another Canadian singer from the 1990s.
>
> 8. Born in India in 1950 and emigrating to Canada in 1973, this
> director is best known for her Elements trilogy: "Fire" (1996),
> "Earth" (1998), and "Water" (2005).
>
> 9. Born in Toronto in 1980, this director has taken his place
> in the family business and achieved critical acclaim for the
> science-fiction horror movies "Antiviral (2012)", "Possessor"
> (2020), and "Infinity Pool" (2023).
>
> 10. Born in Montreal in 1963, this director had a successful
> start in Quebec with "Black List" (1995) and "C.R.A.Z.Y."
> (2005). This allowed him to move over to Hollywood, where he
> directed Matthew MacConaughey and Jared Leto to acting Oscars in
> "Dallas Buyers Club" (2013). He also directed the HBO miniseries
> "Big Little Lies" (2017), for which he won an Emmy.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<3e0c8bcd-32ef-44bb-9f52-b141c6bd2f27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4816&group=rec.games.trivia#4816

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 00:15:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 30 May 2023 07:15 UTC

On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:16:21 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids
>
> 1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
> chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
> group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
> other element?

oxygen

> 5. This amino acid, symbolized W, is a precursor to compounds like
> serotonin and melatonin. But it is probably *not* the main
> reason why turkey makes you sleepy. Name it.

tryptophan
> 6. Which amino acid, symbolized E, is a precursor to GABA and
> names a class of biochemical receptors for compounds like NMDA?
> You probably know it better for its sodium salt, a popular
> flavor enhancer.

glutamate

> 10. Another <answer 9> amino acid is this one symbolized H. It is
> a precursor to a hormone whose receptors are blocked by drugs
> like Allegra or Reactine. Name *either* the amino acid or the
> hormone.

histamine
> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Entertainment - Canadian Directors
>
> Name them.
>
> 1. Born in Danville, Quebec, in 1880, he directed more than 311
> movies over the course of his career, including multiple shorts
> featuring the Keystone Kops or his namesake "Bathing Beauties".

Sennett

> 2. Born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, in 1954, this director is
> responsible for three of the four highest-grossing movies of
> all time -- as well as "Piranha II: The Spawning".

Cameron

> 3. Born in Toronto in 1926, this director founded the Canadian Film
> Centre and was nominated for the Best Director Oscar in 1967 for
> "In the Heat of the Night", in 1971 for "Fiddler on the Roof",
> and again in 1987 for "Moonstruck".

Jewison

> 4. Born in Toronto in 1979, this recent Oscar winner's feature-film
> directorial debut "Away from Her" was released in 2006.
> The director was 27 at the time, and had already spent over
> 20 years in show business.

Polley

> 5. Another recent Oscar winner, this Toronto-raised director
> immigrated from China in 1991, when she was 2 years old.
> She was the first woman to solo-direct a Pixar feature film,
> which was released in 2022. Name her *or* that 2022 Pixar movie,
> which was set in Toronto in 2002.

"Turning Red"

> 8. Born in India in 1950 and emigrating to Canada in 1973, this
> director is best known for her Elements trilogy: "Fire" (1996),
> "Earth" (1998), and "Water" (2005).

Mehta

> 10. Born in Montreal in 1963, this director had a successful
> start in Quebec with "Black List" (1995) and "C.R.A.Z.Y."
> (2005). This allowed him to move over to Hollywood, where he
> directed Matthew MacConaughey and Jared Leto to acting Oscars in
> "Dallas Buyers Club" (2013). He also directed the HBO miniseries
> "Big Little Lies" (2017), for which he won an Emmy.

Vallee

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<XnsB014D5E5EA288Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4817&group=rec.games.trivia#4817

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:01:37 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 30 May 2023 19:01 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids
> 1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
> chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
> group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
> other element?

Nitrogen
> 2. All amino acids belong to which class of acids, due to the
> presence of a namesake COOH group? This class of acids also
> includes acetic acid, the constituent acid of vinegar.

> 7. Tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine are aromatic amino
> acids: they contain a functional group, which is what the
> "phenyl" in phenylalanine refers to, that's related to a
> ring-shaped molecule with formula C6H6. Name that molecule.

Benzene

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<u55tih$5ti$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4818&group=rec.games.trivia#4818

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 22:32:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 30 May 2023 22:32 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids

> 1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
> chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
> group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
> other element?

oxygen

> 3. The other two species in an amino acid are a hydrogen atom and
> a side chain that defines which acid it is. Name the simplest
> amino acid, symbolized G, whose side chain is also just a
> hydrogen atom.

glycine

> 4. 19 of the 20 amino acids can exist as "left-" and "right-handed"
> isomers that are mirror images of each other. The exception is
> glycine, because of its two identical hydrogen groups. What is
> the chemical term for handedness in a molecular structure?

I don't quite remember, but I note this should probably have been
rot13-ed.

> 5. This amino acid, symbolized W, is a precursor to compounds like
> serotonin and melatonin. But it is probably *not* the main
> reason why turkey makes you sleepy. Name it.

tryptophan

> 6. Which amino acid, symbolized E, is a precursor to GABA and
> names a class of biochemical receptors for compounds like NMDA?
> You probably know it better for its sodium salt, a popular
> flavor enhancer.

glutamate

> 7. Tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine are aromatic amino
> acids: they contain a functional group, which is what the
> "phenyl" in phenylalanine refers to, that's related to a
> ring-shaped molecule with formula C6H6. Name that molecule.

benzene

> 8. The Delta F508 mutation, a phenylalanine deletion, is the most
> common cause for what genetic disorder? This disorder is
> diagnosed by measuring chloride levels in a patient's sweat.

cystic fibrosis

> 10. Another <answer 9> amino acid is this one symbolized H. It is
> a precursor to a hormone whose receptors are blocked by drugs
> like Allegra or Reactine. Name *either* the amino acid or the
> hormone.

histamine

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Entertainment - Canadian Directors

> 1. Born in Danville, Quebec, in 1880, he directed more than 311
> movies over the course of his career, including multiple shorts
> featuring the Keystone Kops or his namesake "Bathing Beauties".

Roach

> 2. Born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, in 1954, this director is
> responsible for three of the four highest-grossing movies of
> all time -- as well as "Piranha II: The Spawning".

Cameron

> 5. Another recent Oscar winner, this Toronto-raised director
> immigrated from China in 1991, when she was 2 years old.
> She was the first woman to solo-direct a Pixar feature film,
> which was released in 2022. Name her *or* that 2022 Pixar movie,
> which was set in Toronto in 2002.

Turning Red

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<CLKcneYch4S8aOv5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4819&group=rec.games.trivia#4819

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 07:20:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 31 May 2023 07:20 UTC

Dan Blum:
> I don't quite remember, but I note this should probably have been
> rot13-ed.

Actually I meant it to say <answer 3>, but forgot to make the edit.
--
Mark Brader | Does anybody seriously believe that if a bunch of horses
Toronto | saw a giant egg broken into pieces, their response would

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: amino acids, Canadian directors

<u5bf38$2udug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4820&group=rec.games.trivia#4820

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 20:02:31 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 01:02 UTC

<oRidnR9hYdl69-T5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4821&group=rec.games.trivia#4821

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: amino acids, Canadian directors
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 04:07:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:07 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
> please see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Amino Acids

> Amino acids are the molecules that serve as building blocks for
> proteins. This set of questions will focus on the 20 standard
> amino acids that make up the proteins of the human body. Where
> we ask for the name of an amino acid, we need the full name and
> not an abbreviation.

This was the hardest round in the original name.

> 1. Amino acids consist of a central carbon atom bonded to four
> chemical species, two of which give them their name. An amino
> group is a functional group consisting of hydrogen and which
> other element?

Nitrogen (accepting NH2). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

(Amine, ammonia, get it?)

> 2. All amino acids belong to which class of acids, due to the
> presence of a namesake COOH group? This class of acids also
> includes acetic acid, the constituent acid of vinegar.

Carboxylic acids (accepting "carboxyl").

> 3. The other two species in an amino acid are a hydrogen atom and
> a side chain that defines which acid it is. Name the simplest
> amino acid, symbolized G, whose side chain is also just a
> hydrogen atom.

Glycine. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. 19 of the 20 amino acids can exist as "left-" and "right-handed"
> isomers that are mirror images of each other. The exception is
> glycine,

(I meant to say <answer 3> there, of course.)

> because of its two identical hydrogen groups. What is the chemical
> term for handedness in a molecular structure?

Chirality or enantiomerism. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Proteins in life-forms on Earth use only the "left-handed" isomers.

> 5. This amino acid, symbolized W, is a precursor to compounds like
> serotonin and melatonin. But it is probably *not* the main
> reason why turkey makes you sleepy. Name it.

Tryptophan. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 6. Which amino acid, symbolized E, is a precursor to GABA and
> names a class of biochemical receptors for compounds like NMDA?
> You probably know it better for its sodium salt, a popular
> flavor enhancer.

Glutamate or glutamic acid (accepting monosodium glutamate).
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. Tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine are aromatic amino
> acids: they contain a functional group, which is what the
> "phenyl" in phenylalanine refers to, that's related to a
> ring-shaped molecule with formula C6H6. Name that molecule.

Benzene. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 8. The Delta F508 mutation, a phenylalanine deletion, is the most
> common cause for what genetic disorder? This disorder is
> diagnosed by measuring chloride levels in a patient's sweat.

Cystic fibrosis. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Phenylalanine and tryptophan are two of the nine amino acids
> described by what adjective? These amino acids are not
> sufficiently synthesized by the body, meaning that you must
> ingest them from food.

Essential. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. Another <answer 9> amino acid is this one symbolized H. It is
> a precursor to a hormone whose receptors are blocked by drugs
> like Allegra or Reactine. Name *either* the amino acid or the
> hormone.

Histidine, histamine. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Entertainment - Canadian Directors

> Name them.

> 1. Born in Danville, Quebec, in 1880, he directed more than 311
> movies over the course of his career, including multiple shorts
> featuring the Keystone Kops or his namesake "Bathing Beauties".

Mack Sennett. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. Born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, in 1954, this director is
> responsible for three of the four highest-grossing movies of
> all time -- as well as "Piranha II: The Spawning".

James Cameron. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

The three are "Titanic" (1997), "Avatar" (2009), and "Avatar: The
Way of Water" (2022).

> 3. Born in Toronto in 1926, this director founded the Canadian Film
> Centre and was nominated for the Best Director Oscar in 1967 for
> "In the Heat of the Night", in 1971 for "Fiddler on the Roof",
> and again in 1987 for "Moonstruck".

Norman Jewison. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Born in Toronto in 1979, this recent Oscar winner's feature-film
> directorial debut "Away from Her" was released in 2006.
> The director was 27 at the time, and had already spent over
> 20 years in show business.

Sarah Polley. 4 for Joshua.

Her Oscar was for Best Adapted Screenplay, for "Women Talking" (2022).

> 5. Another recent Oscar winner, this Toronto-raised director
> immigrated from China in 1991, when she was 2 years old.
> She was the first woman to solo-direct a Pixar feature film,
> which was released in 2022. Name her *or* that 2022 Pixar movie,
> which was set in Toronto in 2002.

Domee Shi, "Turning Red". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. Born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1959, this director made his
> name with an unofficial trilogy of rock-and-roll road movies --
> "Roadkill" (1989), "Highway 61" (1991), and "Hard Core Logo"
> (1996).

Bruce McDonald.

> 7. Born in 1932, this member of the Abenaki Nation began her career
> as a singer before becoming a documentary filmmaker focused on
> the lives of First-Nation Canadians. Her best-known work is the
> 1993 documentary "Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance", about
> the 1990 Oka crisis. It's not *ironic* at all that she shares
> her first name with another Canadian singer from the 1990s.

Alanis Obomsawin.

> 8. Born in India in 1950 and emigrating to Canada in 1973, this
> director is best known for her Elements trilogy: "Fire" (1996),
> "Earth" (1998), and "Water" (2005).

Deepa Mehta. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Born in Toronto in 1980, this director has taken his place
> in the family business and achieved critical acclaim for the
> science-fiction horror movies "Antiviral (2012)", "Possessor"
> (2020), and "Infinity Pool" (2023).

Brandon Cronenberg. (Yes, Cronenberg was sufficient.)

> 10. Born in Montreal in 1963, this director had a successful
> start in Quebec with "Black List" (1995) and "C.R.A.Z.Y."
> (2005). This allowed him to move over to Hollywood, where he
> directed Matthew MacConaughey and Jared Leto to acting Oscars in
> "Dallas Buyers Club" (2013). He also directed the HBO miniseries
> "Big Little Lies" (2017), for which he won an Emmy.

Jean Marc Vallée. 4 for Joshua.

He died of a heart attack in December 2021.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Lit His Mis Sci Can FOUR
Stephen Perry 36 35 28 40 -- -- 139
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 36 36 12 28 136
Dan Blum 12 19 26 32 24 8 101
Dan Tilque 8 12 20 36 20 0 88
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 40 0 4 60
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 27 16 8 0 59

--
Mark Brader "If Benjamin Franklin was alive today, he'd be
Toronto arrested for sailing a kite without a license."