The life which is unexamined is not worth living. -- Plato

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: river citiess, coffee challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeswp
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengeDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challengePete Gayde
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: river citiess, coffee challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<N_idnY7qh8bj9uT5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4822&group=rec.games.trivia#4822

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 04:09:34 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:09 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers

We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.

1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.
2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.
3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.
4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.
5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.
6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.
7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.
8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.
9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.
10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee

Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.

* A. Coffee-Producing Countries

In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
country in...

A1. Asia?
A2. Africa?

* B. Coffee on TV

We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.

B1. Central Perk, in New York City.
B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

* C. Slogans

We give the slogan, you name the brand.

C1. "Good to the last drop."
C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

* D. Coffee Science!

D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?

D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
"keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
the human body?

* E. Coffee Desserts

In each case, name that dessert.

E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
cocoa powder.

E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
drowned in a shot of hot espresso.

* F. Coffee Gear

F1. Alan Adler is quite the successful inventor. In the
1980s, he invented the Aerobie: a flying ring, thrown like
a Frisbee, that set some now-broken Guinness world records
for the farthest-thrown object. A couple of decades later,
he invented *what manual coffeemaker* that is so successful
it has its own World Championship?

F2. Name this iconic stovetop coffeemaker brand. It is typically
made of aluminum and was invented by Alfonso Bialetti
in the 1930s. While often referred to as a stovetop
espresso-maker, the pressure it generates is actually far
below espresso standards.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net | "If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<ba7291a2-ddc6-4088-ab5b-ebd8ddc6e405n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4823&group=rec.games.trivia#4823

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 05:27 UTC

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 11:09:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers
>
> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.
>
> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

Amazon
> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Tigris; Euphrates

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Huang Ho

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Rhine

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Dnieper

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.

St. Lawrence

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Congo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia
> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Ural

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee
>
> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.
>
> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries
>
> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...
>
> A1. Asia?

Indonesia; Vietnam

> A2. Africa?

Ethiopia; Kenya

> * B. Coffee on TV
>
> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.
>
> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

"Friends"

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

"Frasier"

> * C. Slogans
>
> We give the slogan, you name the brand.
>
> C1. "Good to the last drop."

Maxwell House

> C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

Folger's

> * D. Coffee Science!
>
> D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
> canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?

robusta
> * E. Coffee Desserts
>
> In each case, name that dessert.
>
> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

tiramisu

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<f6518bda-3bd5-4586-b102-36efc69af445n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4824&group=rec.games.trivia#4824

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 05:22:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:22 UTC

On Friday, June 2, 2023 at 12:09:40 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers
>
> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.
>
> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

niger

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

amazon

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

tigris

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

yangtze

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

elbe

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

dnieper

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.

ottawa

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

congo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

columbia

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

volga

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee
>
> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.
>
> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries
>
> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...
>
> A1. Asia?

vietnam

> A2. Africa?

ethiopia

> * B. Coffee on TV
>
> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.
>
> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

friends

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

frasier

> * C. Slogans
>
> We give the slogan, you name the brand.
>
> C1. "Good to the last drop."

maxwell house

> C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

folgers

> * D. Coffee Science!
>
> D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
> canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?

robusta

> D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
> "keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
> which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
> the human body?

adenosine

> * E. Coffee Desserts
>
> In each case, name that dessert.
>
> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

tiramisu

> E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
> drowned in a shot of hot espresso.

affogato

> * F. Coffee Gear
>
> F1. Alan Adler is quite the successful inventor. In the
> 1980s, he invented the Aerobie: a flying ring, thrown like
> a Frisbee, that set some now-broken Guinness world records
> for the farthest-thrown object. A couple of decades later,
> he invented *what manual coffeemaker* that is so successful
> it has its own World Championship?

aeropress

> F2. Name this iconic stovetop coffeemaker brand. It is typically
> made of aluminum and was invented by Alfonso Bialetti
> in the 1930s. While often referred to as a stovetop
> espresso-maker, the pressure it generates is actually far
> below espresso standards.

moka express percolator

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "If the enemy is in range, so are you."
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<XnsB017EEE334772Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4825&group=rec.games.trivia#4825

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 23:29:00 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:29 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers
>
> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.
>
> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

Amazonas

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Euphrate

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Yellow River

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Elbe

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Dnipro

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Kongo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Volga

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee
>
> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.
>
> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries
>
> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...
>
> A1. Asia?

Yemen

> A2. Africa?

Ethiopia

> D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
> "keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
> which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
> the human body?

Melatonine
> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

Tiramisu
> E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
> drowned in a shot of hot espresso.

Affogado

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<u5e5ql$elf$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4826&group=rec.games.trivia#4826

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 01:42:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 01:42 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers

> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Mali

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santar?m.

Amazon; Orinoco

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Tigris; Euphrates

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Yangtze

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Rhine

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Volga

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.

St. Lawrence

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Congo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Dneiper; Dneister

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee

> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries

> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...

> A1. Asia?

Indonesia

> A2. Africa?

Ethiopia

> * B. Coffee on TV

> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.

> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

Friends

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

Frasier

> * C. Slogans

> We give the slogan, you name the brand.

> C1. "Good to the last drop."

Maxwell House

> C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

Folger's

> * D. Coffee Science!

> D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
> canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?

robusta

> D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
> "keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
> which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
> the human body?

melatonin

> * E. Coffee Desserts

> In each case, name that dessert.

> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

tiramisu

> E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
> drowned in a shot of hot espresso.

affogato

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<u5eatd$3f4cv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4827&group=rec.games.trivia#4827

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:09:31 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 03:09 UTC

On 6/1/23 21:09, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers
>
> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.
>
> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

Amazon

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Tigris

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Yangtze

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Main

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Dnieper

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.

Ottawa

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Congo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Volga

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee
>
> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.
>
> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries
>
> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...
>
> A1. Asia?

Vietnam

> A2. Africa?

Ghana

> * B. Coffee on TV
>
> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.
>
> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

Seinfeld

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

Fraiser

> * C. Slogans
>
> We give the slogan, you name the brand.
>
> C1. "Good to the last drop."

Folgers

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: river citiess, coffee challenge

<u5eckt$3f95r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4828&group=rec.games.trivia#4828

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 22:39:08 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 03:39 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information please
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers
>
> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.
>
> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

Amazon

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Tigris

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Yangtze

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Elbe

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Dnieper

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.
> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Congo

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Volga

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee
>
> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.
>
> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries
>
> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...
>
> A1. Asia?

India; Pakistan

> A2. Africa?

Kenya; South Africa

> * B. Coffee on TV
>
> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.
>
> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

Friends

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

Frazier

> * C. Slogans
>
> We give the slogan, you name the brand.
>
> C1. "Good to the last drop."

Maxwell House

> C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

Folgers

> * D. Coffee Science!
>
> D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
> canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?
>
> D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
> "keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
> which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
> the human body?
>

> * E. Coffee Desserts
>
> In each case, name that dessert.
>
> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

Tiramisu

> E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
> drowned in a shot of hot espresso.
>

> * F. Coffee Gear
>
> F1. Alan Adler is quite the successful inventor. In the
> 1980s, he invented the Aerobie: a flying ring, thrown like
> a Frisbee, that set some now-broken Guinness world records
> for the farthest-thrown object. A couple of decades later,
> he invented *what manual coffeemaker* that is so successful
> it has its own World Championship?
>
> F2. Name this iconic stovetop coffeemaker brand. It is typically
> made of aluminum and was invented by Alfonso Bialetti
> in the 1930s. While often referred to as a stovetop
> espresso-maker, the pressure it generates is actually far
> below espresso standards.

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: river citiess, coffee challenge

<pjudnekEP-8s6OD5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4829&group=rec.games.trivia#4829

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: river citiess, coffee challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 05:42:09 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 05:42 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-08,
> please see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has missed tro rounds and still
managed a win! Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Rivers

> We name three cities along a river's course; you identify the river.

> 1. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Iquitos, Manaus, Santarém.

Amazon. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Diyarbakir, Mosul, Baghdad.

Tigris. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 4. Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai.

Yangtze. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg.

Elbe. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson.

Dnieper (Dnipro). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 7. Pembroke, Arnprior, Gatineau.

Ottawa. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Bangui, Kinshasa, Brazzaville.

Congo. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Revelstoke, Vancouver, Portland.

Columbia. 4 for everyone.

Trick question: that's Vancouver WA, not BC.

> 10. Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan.

Volga. 4 for Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Coffee

> Just a bunch of questions about the world's favourite bean juice.

> * A. Coffee-Producing Countries

> In 2021, by US dollar value, what was the leading coffee-exporting
> country in...

> A1. Asia?

Vietnam. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> A2. Africa?

Ethiopia. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> * B. Coffee on TV

> We'll name the establishment, you name the show where it appeared.

> B1. Central Perk, in New York City.

"Friends". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> B2. Cafe Nervosa, in Seattle.

"Frasier". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * C. Slogans

> We give the slogan, you name the brand.

> C1. "Good to the last drop."

Maxwell House. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> C2. "The best part of waking up is <answer> in your cup."

Folger's. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * D. Coffee Science!

> D1. The two most common species of coffee are arabica and
> canephora. What is the more common name for canephora?

Robusta. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> D2. Coffee is well-known, and often used, for its ability to
> "keep you awake", because it contains caffeine. Caffeine,
> which is a stimulant, works by blocking what receptor in
> the human body?

Adenosine. 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Coffee Desserts

> In each case, name that dessert.

> E1. Alternating layers of ladyfingers soaked in espresso and
> a sweet, whipped mascarpone-and-egg mixture, dusted with
> cocoa powder.

Tiramisu. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> E2. A scoop or two of ice cream or gelato (usually vanilla),
> drowned in a shot of hot espresso.

Affogato. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> * F. Coffee Gear

> F1. Alan Adler is quite the successful inventor. In the
> 1980s, he invented the Aerobie: a flying ring, thrown like
> a Frisbee, that set some now-broken Guinness world records
> for the farthest-thrown object. A couple of decades later,
> he invented *what manual coffeemaker* that is so successful
> it has its own World Championship?

Aeropress. 4 for Stephen.

> F2. Name this iconic stovetop coffeemaker brand. It is typically
> made of aluminum and was invented by Alfonso Bialetti
> in the 1930s. While often referred to as a stovetop
> espresso-maker, the pressure it generates is actually far
> below espresso standards.

Moka Express. 4 for Stephen.

In the original game the expected answer was Moka Pot, but apparently
that's not the brand name. Thanks to Stephen for the correction.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Lit His Mis Sci Can Geo Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 36 35 28 40 -- -- 40 48 227
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 36 36 12 28 23 29 193
Dan Blum 12 19 26 32 24 8 18 32 151
Dan Tilque 8 12 20 36 20 0 36 8 132
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 40 0 4 36 20 116
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 27 16 8 0 28 12 99

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
msb@vex.net -- John Hollingsworth