"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4Mark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4Erland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4Dan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4Dan Tilque
`- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

<6sOcneBEZdEvvR35nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4843&group=rec.games.trivia#4843

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 06:16:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:16 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events

1. On Thursday, Guam was rocked by a typhoon, the strongest one
to hit the territory since 2002. It was subsequently upgraded
to a super typhoon. What is its name?

2. On Wednesday, Fulgence Kayishema was arrested after over 20
years on the run. He was the most wanted fugitive in the 1994
Rwandan genocide, accused of orchestrating the killing of over
2,000 refugees. In what country was he arrested?

3. On May 19, 1994, it was added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
of English. On May 19 of this year, it was the Google Doodle.
What is this iconic Quebecois dish?

4. Which country is to become the first in the world to mandate
labelling on alcoholic drinks to alert people to calorie content
and health risks?

5. "The Hill We Climb", recited at Joe Biden's inauguration, has
been placed on a restricted list at a Florida elementary school
following a complaint -- in which the poem was attributed to the
wrong author. Name *either* the author listed in the complaint
or the poem's actual author.

6. On Saturday night, the Boston Celtics defeated the Miami Heat
with a buzzer-beater, setting up tonight's game where the
Celtics hope to be the first NBA team in 150 tries to accomplish
what feat?

7. The 2022-23 Premier League season has just finished. Which team
are the league champions for the 3rd consecutive year (and 5th
time in the past 6 years)?

8. Stewart Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years for seditious conspiracy
related to the 2021 US Capitol attack. Rhodes is the founder
of what militia group?

9. Which tourism company successfully completed its final test
flight on Thursday? Their next step will be to take paying
customers into space.

10. What lifestyle businesswoman, and convicted felon, is among
the cover models for the 2023 "Sports Illustrated" Swimsuit
Issue? Now the oldest model in the magazine's history, she
called the fact "historic", but not "a good thing" as of yet.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq
"Znapurfgre" sbe gur fbppre grnz, be "Ivetva" be "Ivetva Tebhc" sbe
gur pbzcnal, va rnpu pnfr lbh arrq gb tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events

1. At the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, Canada beat
Germany 5-2 to win the gold medal. But what team beat the USA to
win the bronze medal, their first-ever medal at the tournament?

2. As part of Canada's Tobacco Strategy, which aims to reduce
tobacco use to less than 5% by 2035, new warning labels will
be found *where* effective August 1?

3. Launching in July 2025, Viking Expeditions will be offering a
15-day, $16,000 cruise from the Port of Toronto to Nuuk, which
is the capital city of where?

4. French-Canadian actor, and Officer of the Order of Canada,
Michel Côté passed away on May 29. He won a Best Actor Genie
for his role in "C.R.A.Z.Y." (2005), but he is probably best
known for playing four separate characters -- all men on the
make looking to hook up with a woman -- in what 1989 comedy film?

5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
of the Treasury?

6. The Toronto Maple Leafs recently hired Brad Treliving as their
new general manager. Who did he replace? He was let go on
May 19 after 5 years with the team.

7. Isaac Brogan of Windsor made it to the semi-final round of
the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee, but Dev Shah --
from Largo Florida -- won the event on a word pronounced
"SAM-uh-file", meaning a plant or animal that prefers or thrives
in sandy areas. Spell it!

8. One of the worst rail disasters in India's history occurred
on Friday. As of Saturday morning, what was the reported death
toll, within 20?

9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
released in November.

10. A former CEO convicted of four felony counts of fraud and
conspiracy in January 2022 reported on Thursday to a Texas
prison to begin her 11-year sentence. Who is she?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net C unions never strike!

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

<XnsB01CF196191D6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4844&group=rec.games.trivia#4844

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 23:44:55 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 7. The 2022-23 Premier League season has just finished. Which team
> are the league champions for the 3rd consecutive year (and 5th
> time in the past 6 years)?

Manchester City
> 8. Stewart Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years for seditious conspiracy
> related to the 2021 US Capitol attack. Rhodes is the founder
> of what militia group?

Proud Boys
> * Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, Canada beat
> Germany 5-2 to win the gold medal. But what team beat the USA to
> win the bronze medal, their first-ever medal at the tournament?

> 5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
> on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
> that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
> of the Treasury?

Janet Yellen
> 9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
> Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
> Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
> released in November.

Dolly Parton

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

<77aa422d-0a50-4b4c-a8e3-c6375df6b992n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4846&group=rec.games.trivia#4846

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:31:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 01:31 UTC

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:16:30 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. On May 19, 1994, it was added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
> of English. On May 19 of this year, it was the Google Doodle.
> What is this iconic Quebecois dish?

poutine

> 4. Which country is to become the first in the world to mandate
> labelling on alcoholic drinks to alert people to calorie content
> and health risks?

Ireland

> 6. On Saturday night, the Boston Celtics defeated the Miami Heat
> with a buzzer-beater, setting up tonight's game where the
> Celtics hope to be the first NBA team in 150 tries to accomplish
> what feat?

overcome a 3-0 deficit to win a series
> 10. What lifestyle businesswoman, and convicted felon, is among
> the cover models for the 2023 "Sports Illustrated" Swimsuit
> Issue? Now the oldest model in the magazine's history, she
> called the fact "historic", but not "a good thing" as of yet.

Martha Stewart
> * Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Launching in July 2025, Viking Expeditions will be offering a
> 15-day, $16,000 cruise from the Port of Toronto to Nuuk, which
> is the capital city of where?

Greenland

> 5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
> on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
> that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
> of the Treasury?

Yellen
> 7. Isaac Brogan of Windsor made it to the semi-final round of
> the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee, but Dev Shah --
> from Largo Florida -- won the event on a word pronounced
> "SAM-uh-file", meaning a plant or animal that prefers or thrives
> in sandy areas. Spell it!

psammaphile
> 9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
> Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
> Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
> released in November.

Dolly Parton
> 10. A former CEO convicted of four felony counts of fraud and
> conspiracy in January 2022 reported on Thursday to a Texas
> prison to begin her 11-year sentence. Who is she?

Holmes (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

<u5rgvs$jt5$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4847&group=rec.games.trivia#4847

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 03:13:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 03:13 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. On May 19, 1994, it was added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
> of English. On May 19 of this year, it was the Google Doodle.
> What is this iconic Quebecois dish?

poutine

> 4. Which country is to become the first in the world to mandate
> labelling on alcoholic drinks to alert people to calorie content
> and health risks?

New Zealand; Sweden

> 5. "The Hill We Climb", recited at Joe Biden's inauguration, has
> been placed on a restricted list at a Florida elementary school
> following a complaint -- in which the poem was attributed to the
> wrong author. Name *either* the author listed in the complaint
> or the poem's actual author.

Amanda Gorman

> 6. On Saturday night, the Boston Celtics defeated the Miami Heat
> with a buzzer-beater, setting up tonight's game where the
> Celtics hope to be the first NBA team in 150 tries to accomplish
> what feat?

winning a playoff series after losing the first three games

> 10. What lifestyle businesswoman, and convicted felon, is among
> the cover models for the 2023 "Sports Illustrated" Swimsuit
> Issue? Now the oldest model in the magazine's history, she
> called the fact "historic", but not "a good thing" as of yet.

Martha Stewart

> * Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. Launching in July 2025, Viking Expeditions will be offering a
> 15-day, $16,000 cruise from the Port of Toronto to Nuuk, which
> is the capital city of where?

Greenland

> 5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
> on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
> that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
> of the Treasury?

Yellen

> 7. Isaac Brogan of Windsor made it to the semi-final round of
> the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee, but Dev Shah --
> from Largo Florida -- won the event on a word pronounced
> "SAM-uh-file", meaning a plant or animal that prefers or thrives
> in sandy areas. Spell it!

psamophil

> 9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
> Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
> Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
> released in November.

Dolly Parton

> 10. A former CEO convicted of four felony counts of fraud and
> conspiracy in January 2022 reported on Thursday to a Texas
> prison to begin her 11-year sentence. Who is she?

Holmes

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4

<u5rvpr$1evfn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4851&group=rec.games.trivia#4851

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:25:44 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:25 UTC

On 6/6/23 23:16, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday, Guam was rocked by a typhoon, the strongest one
> to hit the territory since 2002. It was subsequently upgraded
> to a super typhoon. What is its name?
>
> 2. On Wednesday, Fulgence Kayishema was arrested after over 20
> years on the run. He was the most wanted fugitive in the 1994
> Rwandan genocide, accused of orchestrating the killing of over
> 2,000 refugees. In what country was he arrested?
>
> 3. On May 19, 1994, it was added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
> of English. On May 19 of this year, it was the Google Doodle.
> What is this iconic Quebecois dish?

poutine

> 4. Which country is to become the first in the world to mandate
> labelling on alcoholic drinks to alert people to calorie content
> and health risks?
>
> 5. "The Hill We Climb", recited at Joe Biden's inauguration, has
> been placed on a restricted list at a Florida elementary school
> following a complaint -- in which the poem was attributed to the
> wrong author. Name *either* the author listed in the complaint
> or the poem's actual author.
>
> 6. On Saturday night, the Boston Celtics defeated the Miami Heat
> with a buzzer-beater, setting up tonight's game where the
> Celtics hope to be the first NBA team in 150 tries to accomplish
> what feat?

come back from 0-3 deficit to win a 7-game series

> 7. The 2022-23 Premier League season has just finished. Which team
> are the league champions for the 3rd consecutive year (and 5th
> time in the past 6 years)?
>
> 8. Stewart Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years for seditious conspiracy
> related to the 2021 US Capitol attack. Rhodes is the founder
> of what militia group?

Oath Keepers

> 9. Which tourism company successfully completed its final test
> flight on Thursday? Their next step will be to take paying
> customers into space.

Virgin Galactic

> 10. What lifestyle businesswoman, and convicted felon, is among
> the cover models for the 2023 "Sports Illustrated" Swimsuit
> Issue? Now the oldest model in the magazine's history, she
> called the fact "historic", but not "a good thing" as of yet.

Martha Stewart

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq
> "Znapurfgre" sbe gur fbppre grnz, be "Ivetva" be "Ivetva Tebhc" sbe
> gur pbzcnal, va rnpu pnfr lbh arrq gb tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, Canada beat
> Germany 5-2 to win the gold medal. But what team beat the USA to
> win the bronze medal, their first-ever medal at the tournament?
>
> 2. As part of Canada's Tobacco Strategy, which aims to reduce
> tobacco use to less than 5% by 2035, new warning labels will
> be found *where* effective August 1?

cigarette packages

> 3. Launching in July 2025, Viking Expeditions will be offering a
> 15-day, $16,000 cruise from the Port of Toronto to Nuuk, which
> is the capital city of where?

Greenland

> 4. French-Canadian actor, and Officer of the Order of Canada,
> Michel Côté passed away on May 29. He won a Best Actor Genie
> for his role in "C.R.A.Z.Y." (2005), but he is probably best
> known for playing four separate characters -- all men on the
> make looking to hook up with a woman -- in what 1989 comedy film?
>
> 5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
> on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
> that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
> of the Treasury?

Yellen

> 6. The Toronto Maple Leafs recently hired Brad Treliving as their
> new general manager. Who did he replace? He was let go on
> May 19 after 5 years with the team.
>
> 7. Isaac Brogan of Windsor made it to the semi-final round of
> the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee, but Dev Shah --
> from Largo Florida -- won the event on a word pronounced
> "SAM-uh-file", meaning a plant or animal that prefers or thrives
> in sandy areas. Spell it!

psammophile

> 8. One of the worst rail disasters in India's history occurred
> on Friday. As of Saturday morning, what was the reported death
> toll, within 20?

280

> 9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
> Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
> Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
> released in November.
>
> 10. A former CEO convicted of four felony counts of fraud and
> conspiracy in January 2022 reported on Thursday to a Texas
> prison to begin her 11-year sentence. Who is she?

Elizabeth Holmes

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4 answers

<7z6dnVttII7djRn5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4856&group=rec.games.trivia#4856

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 3-4 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 05:55:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 05:55 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3 (2023-05-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. On Thursday, Guam was rocked by a typhoon, the strongest one
> to hit the territory since 2002. It was subsequently upgraded
> to a super typhoon. What is its name?

Mawar.

> 2. On Wednesday, Fulgence Kayishema was arrested after over 20
> years on the run. He was the most wanted fugitive in the 1994
> Rwandan genocide, accused of orchestrating the killing of over
> 2,000 refugees. In what country was he arrested?

South Africa.

> 3. On May 19, 1994, it was added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
> of English. On May 19 of this year, it was the Google Doodle.
> What is this iconic Quebecois dish?

Poutine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Which country is to become the first in the world to mandate
> labelling on alcoholic drinks to alert people to calorie content
> and health risks?

Ireland. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "The Hill We Climb", recited at Joe Biden's inauguration, has
> been placed on a restricted list at a Florida elementary school
> following a complaint -- in which the poem was attributed to the
> wrong author. Name *either* the author listed in the complaint
> or the poem's actual author.

Oprah Winfrey, Amanda Gorman. 4 for Dan Blum.

Although only about 60 lines long, the poem has been printed in book
form -- for which Winfrey wrote the foreword.

> 6. On Saturday night, the Boston Celtics defeated the Miami Heat
> with a buzzer-beater, setting up tonight's game where the
> Celtics hope to be the first NBA team in 150 tries to accomplish
> what feat?

Win a best-of-7 series after being down 3-0. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

The Celtics did come back to tie the series, but then lost in Game 7.

> 7. The 2022-23 Premier League season has just finished. Which team
> are the league champions for the 3rd consecutive year (and 5th
> time in the past 6 years)?

Manchester City (both words required). 4 for Erland.

> 8. Stewart Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years for seditious conspiracy
> related to the 2021 US Capitol attack. Rhodes is the founder
> of what militia group?

Oath Keepers. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which tourism company successfully completed its final test
> flight on Thursday? Their next step will be to take paying
> customers into space.

Virgin Galactic (both words required). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. What lifestyle businesswoman, and convicted felon, is among
> the cover models for the 2023 "Sports Illustrated" Swimsuit
> Issue? Now the oldest model in the magazine's history, she
> called the fact "historic", but not "a good thing" as of yet.

Martha Stewart. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 4 (2023-06-05), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. At the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, Canada beat
> Germany 5-2 to win the gold medal. But what team beat the USA to
> win the bronze medal, their first-ever medal at the tournament?

Latvia.

> 2. As part of Canada's Tobacco Strategy, which aims to reduce
> tobacco use to less than 5% by 2035, new warning labels will
> be found *where* effective August 1?

On the cigarettes!

See: http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/A784/production/_129948824_6onfilter_en.jpg

> 3. Launching in July 2025, Viking Expeditions will be offering a
> 15-day, $16,000 cruise from the Port of Toronto to Nuuk, which
> is the capital city of where?

Greenland. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. French-Canadian actor, and Officer of the Order of Canada,
> Michel Côté passed away on May 29. He won a Best Actor Genie
> for his role in "C.R.A.Z.Y." (2005), but he is probably best
> known for playing four separate characters -- all men on the
> make looking to hook up with a woman -- in what 1989 comedy film?

"Cruising Bar".

> 5. President Joe Biden signed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023
> on Saturday, June 3, narrowly avoiding the US debt default
> that had been predicted for today, June 5, by what Secretary
> of the Treasury?

Janet Yellen. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The Toronto Maple Leafs recently hired Brad Treliving as their
> new general manager. Who did he replace? He was let go on
> May 19 after 5 years with the team.

Kyle Dubas.

> 7. Isaac Brogan of Windsor made it to the semi-final round of
> the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee, but Dev Shah --
> from Largo Florida -- won the event on a word pronounced
> "SAM-uh-file", meaning a plant or animal that prefers or thrives
> in sandy areas. Spell it!

Psammophile. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. One of the worst rail disasters in India's history occurred
> on Friday. As of Saturday morning, what was the reported death
> toll, within 20?

280 (accepting 260-300). 4 for Dan Tilque.

On Sunday the count was revised to 275.

> 9. What country-music star was awarded three more Guinness World
> Records on Wednesday, reflective of her 50-plus year career?
> Her 49th solo studio album, "Rockstar", is scheduled to be
> released in November.

Dolly Parton. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 10. A former CEO convicted of four felony counts of fraud and
> conspiracy in January 2022 reported on Thursday to a Texas
> prison to begin her 11-year sentence. Who is she?

Elizabeth Holmes (of Theranos Inc.). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- 80
Dan Tilque 16 4 20 20 60
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 16 16 52
Dan Blum 11 8 16 16 51
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 4 8 24
Pete Gayde 16 4 -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;
msb@vex.net | you ARE the traffic jam." -- Werner Icking