Seeing is believing. You wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't believed it.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6 answers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Mark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Dan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Pete Gayde
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Dan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Erland Sommarskog
+* QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6swp
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6Mark Brader
`- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<QaWcneTdkpFp8g75nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4895&group=rec.games.trivia#4895

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:47:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:47 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
between the two entities.

2. Lionel Messi has signed a $53,000,000 US contract with what
MLS soccer club? David Beckham is this club's current president,
and one of its owners. We need the club name, not just the city.

3. Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of the destruction
of a dam in Ukraine's Kherson region. It was captured and had
been held by Russia since February 2022. What dam?

4. In relatively late-breaking news, David Johnston tendered his
resignation on Friday -- from what special role to which he
was appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau?

5. New Zealand has awarded former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
one of its highest honors, for her service to the country
during the Christchurch terror attacks, as well as COVID-19.
What is the honor to which she was appointed?

6. Stunning the world with the spectacularly named -- um --
"Vision Pro", this $3,500 US VR headset was announced on Monday
at *what annual Apple event*? Give either its full name or
the exact acronym for it.

7. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) has deemed which
ultra-low-cost airline the worst for the first quarter of 2023,
having received 20.9 complaints for every 100 flights?

8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.

9. The Federal Public Safety Minister said he was "shocked" by
the decision by Correctional Service Canada (CSC) decision
to transfer serial killer Paul Bernardo to a medium-security
prison. However, he cannot overrule it, as the CSC's decisions
on transfer are independent of his office. Who is that minister?

10. The Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship visited
Winnipeg last week for an announcement regarding visa-free
travel. Passport-holders from 13 additional countries will now
be able to travel to Canada by air without requiring a Temporary
Residence Visa, with some caveats. Who is this minister?

* Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
communities, in what Asian country?

2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
population reached what milestone?

3. The Mayor of Mississauga has officially registered as a candidate
in the 2023 Ontario Liberal leadership race. Who is she?

4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
in both directions. In what city was this?

5. For the first time in 69 years, a Canadian golfer has won
the Canadian Open tournament. Name *either* this year's winner,
or the 1954 winner.

6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
Who is he?

7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
to the press. By what name is this report better known?

8. One of former president Donald Trump's aides has been charged
alongside him with alleged mishandling of national security
documents. Who is he?

9. Nova Scotia and the federal government butted heads this
week over an energy project that would connect clean power
from Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to Nova Scotia and
New Brunswick. What is the name of this project?

10. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a pact with the US
to control the flow of asylum-seekers across the shared border
is constitutional. What is the name of this agreement?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
"I am good at fooling myself into believing that what I wrote

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<u700gr$hsb$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4897&group=rec.games.trivia#4897

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:18:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:18 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events

> 7. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) has deemed which
> ultra-low-cost airline the worst for the first quarter of 2023,
> having received 20.9 complaints for every 100 flights?

WestJet

> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

Philippines

> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?

30 million; 35 million

> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

Philadelphia

> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

Pentagon Papers

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<bb722ae0-3e1f-4f5a-9ab7-2a24f9d6f440n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4900&group=rec.games.trivia#4900

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:58:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 00:58 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 4:47:43 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

LIV Golf

> 5. New Zealand has awarded former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
> one of its highest honors, for her service to the country
> during the Christchurch terror attacks, as well as COVID-19.
> What is the honor to which she was appointed?

Order of New Zealand
> 8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
> her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
> face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
> planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.

tropicalia
> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

Philippines

> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?

35 million

> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

Philadelphia
> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
> Who is he?

Federer
> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

Pentagon Papers

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<u70gj5$36pqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4901&group=rec.games.trivia#4901

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:53:08 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 03:53 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

LIV Golf

> 2. Lionel Messi has signed a $53,000,000 US contract with what
> MLS soccer club? David Beckham is this club's current president,
> and one of its owners. We need the club name, not just the city.

Inter Milan

> 3. Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of the destruction
> of a dam in Ukraine's Kherson region. It was captured and had
> been held by Russia since February 2022. What dam?
>
> 4. In relatively late-breaking news, David Johnston tendered his
> resignation on Friday -- from what special role to which he
> was appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau?
>
> 5. New Zealand has awarded former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
> one of its highest honors, for her service to the country
> during the Christchurch terror attacks, as well as COVID-19.
> What is the honor to which she was appointed?
>
> 6. Stunning the world with the spectacularly named -- um --
> "Vision Pro", this $3,500 US VR headset was announced on Monday
> at *what annual Apple event*? Give either its full name or
> the exact acronym for it.
>
> 7. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) has deemed which
> ultra-low-cost airline the worst for the first quarter of 2023,
> having received 20.9 complaints for every 100 flights?
>
> 8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
> her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
> face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
> planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.
>
> 9. The Federal Public Safety Minister said he was "shocked" by
> the decision by Correctional Service Canada (CSC) decision
> to transfer serial killer Paul Bernardo to a medium-security
> prison. However, he cannot overrule it, as the CSC's decisions
> on transfer are independent of his office. Who is that minister?
>
> 10. The Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship visited
> Winnipeg last week for an announcement regarding visa-free
> travel. Passport-holders from 13 additional countries will now
> be able to travel to Canada by air without requiring a Temporary
> Residence Visa, with some caveats. Who is this minister?
>

> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?
>
> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?
>
> 3. The Mayor of Mississauga has officially registered as a candidate
> in the 2023 Ontario Liberal leadership race. Who is she?
>
> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

Philadelphia

> 5. For the first time in 69 years, a Canadian golfer has won
> the Canadian Open tournament. Name *either* this year's winner,
> or the 1954 winner.
>
> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
> Who is he?

Djokovic

> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

The Pentagon Papers

> 8. One of former president Donald Trump's aides has been charged
> alongside him with alleged mishandling of national security
> documents. Who is he?

Nauta

> 9. Nova Scotia and the federal government butted heads this
> week over an energy project that would connect clean power
> from Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to Nova Scotia and
> New Brunswick. What is the name of this project?
>
> 10. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a pact with the US
> to control the flow of asylum-seekers across the shared border
> is constitutional. What is the name of this agreement?

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<u70j5i$36vdv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4903&group=rec.games.trivia#4903

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:37:06 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 04:37 UTC

On 6/21/23 14:47, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

LIV

> [...]
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

Philippines

> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?
>
> 3. The Mayor of Mississauga has officially registered as a candidate
> in the 2023 Ontario Liberal leadership race. Who is she?
>
> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

Philadelphia

> 5. For the first time in 69 years, a Canadian golfer has won
> the Canadian Open tournament. Name *either* this year's winner,
> or the 1954 winner.
>
> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.

Djokovic

> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

Pentagon Papers

> 8. One of former president Donald Trump's aides has been charged
> alongside him with alleged mishandling of national security
> documents. Who is he?
>
> 9. Nova Scotia and the federal government butted heads this
> week over an energy project that would connect clean power
> from Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to Nova Scotia and
> New Brunswick. What is the name of this project?
>
> 10. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a pact with the US
> to control the flow of asylum-seekers across the shared border
> is constitutional. What is the name of this agreement?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<XnsB02BDAA505EC6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4904&group=rec.games.trivia#4904

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 21:29:37 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 19:29 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

LIV tour
> 2. Lionel Messi has signed a $53,000,000 US contract with what
> MLS soccer club? David Beckham is this club's current president,
> and one of its owners. We need the club name, not just the city.

Miami Heat
> 3. Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of the destruction
> of a dam in Ukraine's Kherson region. It was captured and had
> been held by Russia since February 2022. What dam?

Kakhovska
> 8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
> her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
> face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
> planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.

Bossa nova
> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

Phillipines?

(This has not made into the news here.)
> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?

37 million
> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
> Who is he?

Djokovic
> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

Pentagon Papers

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<062662ea-a6ca-4fa0-bbdb-a0ac132634acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4905&group=rec.games.trivia#4905

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:56 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:47:43 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

liv golf

> 2. Lionel Messi has signed a $53,000,000 US contract with what
> MLS soccer club? David Beckham is this club's current president,
> and one of its owners. We need the club name, not just the city.

inter miami

> 3. Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of the destruction
> of a dam in Ukraine's Kherson region. It was captured and had
> been held by Russia since February 2022. What dam?

kakhovka hydroelectric power plant dam

> 4. In relatively late-breaking news, David Johnston tendered his
> resignation on Friday -- from what special role to which he
> was appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau?

foreign interference special rapporteur

> 5. New Zealand has awarded former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
> one of its highest honors, for her service to the country
> during the Christchurch terror attacks, as well as COVID-19.
> What is the honor to which she was appointed?

dame grand companion of the new zealand order of merit

> 6. Stunning the world with the spectacularly named -- um --
> "Vision Pro", this $3,500 US VR headset was announced on Monday
> at *what annual Apple event*? Give either its full name or
> the exact acronym for it.

wwdc

> 7. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) has deemed which
> ultra-low-cost airline the worst for the first quarter of 2023,
> having received 20.9 complaints for every 100 flights?

flair?

> 8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
> her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
> face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
> planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.

bossa nova

> 9. The Federal Public Safety Minister said he was "shocked" by
> the decision by Correctional Service Canada (CSC) decision
> to transfer serial killer Paul Bernardo to a medium-security
> prison. However, he cannot overrule it, as the CSC's decisions
> on transfer are independent of his office. Who is that minister?

mendicino?

> 10. The Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship visited
> Winnipeg last week for an announcement regarding visa-free
> travel. Passport-holders from 13 additional countries will now
> be able to travel to Canada by air without requiring a Temporary
> Residence Visa, with some caveats. Who is this minister?

johnson? ; africa?

> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

phillipines

> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?

something with a lot of zeroes ... 40,000,000?

> 3. The Mayor of Mississauga has officially registered as a candidate
> in the 2023 Ontario Liberal leadership race. Who is she?

africa ; johnson

> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

philadelphia, pa [traffiic will re-open this weekend]

> 5. For the first time in 69 years, a Canadian golfer has won
> the Canadian Open tournament. Name *either* this year's winner,
> or the 1954 winner.

nick taylor

> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
> Who is he?

novak djokovic

> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

the pentagon papers

> 8. One of former president Donald Trump's aides has been charged
> alongside him with alleged mishandling of national security
> documents. Who is he?

walt nauta

> 9. Nova Scotia and the federal government butted heads this
> week over an energy project that would connect clean power
> from Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to Nova Scotia and
> New Brunswick. What is the name of this project?

atlantic loop

> 10. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a pact with the US
> to control the flow of asylum-seekers across the shared border
> is constitutional. What is the name of this agreement?

the safe third country agreement

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
> "I am good at fooling myself into believing that what I wrote
> is what I meant. I am also good at fooling myself into believing
> that what I meant is what I should have meant." --Kent Beck
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is humming something about a girl from ipanema

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6

<UkmdnZP5YPmzSgn5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4906&group=rec.games.trivia#4906

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 23:20:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 23:20 UTC

Stephen Perry:
> something with a lot of zeroes ... 40,000,000?

I will score this as one answer of 40,000,000.
--
Mark Brader | "I had never thought of Jesus as being
msb@vex.net | a variety of grape plant, but

QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6 answers

<t9CdnXmLlPRr6Ar5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4909&group=rec.games.trivia#4909

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 5-6 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 23:02:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 23:02 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2023-06-12), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The PGA Tour announced a merger with what Saudi-backed rival
> golf organization? This deal would end all pending litigation
> between the two entities.

LIV Golf. (Accepting anything with "LIV".) 4 for Joshua, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen.

> 2. Lionel Messi has signed a $53,000,000 US contract with what
> MLS soccer club? David Beckham is this club's current president,
> and one of its owners. We need the club name, not just the city.

Club Internacional de F�tbol Miami, or Inter Miami for short.
4 for Stephen.

> 3. Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of the destruction
> of a dam in Ukraine's Kherson region. It was captured and had
> been held by Russia since February 2022. What dam?

Nova Kakhovka. ("Kakhovka" was sufficient.) 4 for Erland
and Stephen.

> 4. In relatively late-breaking news, David Johnston tendered his
> resignation on Friday -- from what special role to which he
> was appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau?

(Special) rapporteur (on foreign interference). 4 for Stephen.

> 5. New Zealand has awarded former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
> one of its highest honors, for her service to the country
> during the Christchurch terror attacks, as well as COVID-19.
> What is the honor to which she was appointed?

Dame Grand Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit. ("Dame"
was sufficient.) 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Stunning the world with the spectacularly named -- um --
> "Vision Pro", this $3,500 US VR headset was announced on Monday
> at *what annual Apple event*? Give either its full name or
> the exact acronym for it.

Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). 4 for Stephen.

> 7. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) has deemed which
> ultra-low-cost airline the worst for the first quarter of 2023,
> having received 20.9 complaints for every 100 flights?

Flair. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Astrud Gilberto passed away at the age of 83. According to
> her granddaughter Sofia in a social-media post, "She was the
> face and voice of" *what style of music* "in most parts of the
> planet"? This musical style is noted as a relaxed type of samba.

Bossa nova. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 9. The Federal Public Safety Minister said he was "shocked" by
> the decision by Correctional Service Canada (CSC) decision
> to transfer serial killer Paul Bernardo to a medium-security
> prison. However, he cannot overrule it, as the CSC's decisions
> on transfer are independent of his office. Who is that minister?

Marco Mendicino. (My MP!) 4 for Stephen.

> 10. The Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship visited
> Winnipeg last week for an announcement regarding visa-free
> travel. Passport-holders from 13 additional countries will now
> be able to travel to Canada by air without requiring a Temporary
> Residence Visa, with some caveats. Who is this minister?

Sean Fraser.

> * Game 6 (2023-06-19), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Located in the province of Albay, the Mayon volcano erupted
> this week, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave their
> communities, in what Asian country?

The Philippines. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.

> 2. As of June 16, according to Statistics Canada, Canada's
> population reached what milestone?

40,000,000. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. The Mayor of Mississauga has officially registered as a candidate
> in the 2023 Ontario Liberal leadership race. Who is she?

Bonnie Crombie.

> 4. In the US, a short elevated section of I-95 collapsed last
> Sunday, due to a tanker truck fire below it, closing the highway
> in both directions. In what city was this?

Philadelphia. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 5. For the first time in 69 years, a Canadian golfer has won
> the Canadian Open tournament. Name *either* this year's winner,
> or the 1954 winner.

Nick Taylor, Pat Fletcher (respectively). 4 for Stephen.

> 6. On Sunday, his victory in the French Open tennis final gave
> him his record-breaking 23rd men's Grand Slam event title.
> Who is he?

Novak Djokovic. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen.

> 7. Daniel Ellsberg passed away at the age of 92. In 1971, while
> employed by the RAND Corporation, he released the "Report of
> the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force"
> to the press. By what name is this report better known?

The Pentagon Papers. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen.

> 8. One of former president Donald Trump's aides has been charged
> alongside him with alleged mishandling of national security
> documents. Who is he?

Walt (Waltine Torre) Nauta. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

> 9. Nova Scotia and the federal government butted heads this
> week over an energy project that would connect clean power
> from Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to Nova Scotia and
> New Brunswick. What is the name of this project?

The Atlantic Loop. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a pact with the US
> to control the flow of asylum-seekers across the shared border
> is constitutional. What is the name of this agreement?

The Safe Third Country Agreement. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- 36 36 152
Dan Tilque 16 4 20 20 4 16 72
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 16 16 4 12 56
Dan Blum 11 8 16 16 0 12 55
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 4 8 12 12 40
Pete Gayde 16 4 -- -- 4 16 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I knew [the answers]... but the synapses
msb@vex.net | just wouldn't s-nap." --Michael Wares