Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: country names, rose challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 17:23:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 17:23 UTC

Sorry, I posted in the previous thread again. Please answer in
either thread, but preferabky this one.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-29,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - Geography - Country Names

1. The name of which country is the name given to three strikes in
a row in 10-pin bowling? (Or, at least, it was until late 2021,
when the country changed its name.)

For the remaining questions, each answer similarly is also the
name of a country, and these are all current names.

2. The surname of the man who the NBA's web site describes as the
greatest basketball player of all time.

3. A word in the title of a 1963 James Bond movie.

4. A word in the title of a 1979 movie starring Jane Fonda, Jack
Lemmon, and Michael Douglas, about a safety cover-up at a
nuclear power plant.

5. The first name of the artist, renowned for her paintings of
enlarged flowers and scenes of New Mexico, who is called "the
Mother of American Modernism".

6. The first name of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar-winner for
"Jerry Maguire".

7. The surname of the poet, journalist, and novelist who won the
1921 Nobel Prize in Literature. Hints: His first name is
Anatole, and the country is in Europe.

8. A word that occurs 8 times -- sometimes preceded by the word
"hanging" or "dimpled" -- in the US Supreme Court's decision in
Bush v. Gore, the case that effectively decided the presidential
election in the year 2000? Hint: the country is in Africa.

9. A pre-decimalization coin equal to 21 shillings. Hints: The
country is in Africa, and its name occurs within the names of
three other countries.

10. A word in the name of a 17th-century palace and a large garden,
both in Paris, located near the Sorbonne and the Pantheon.
Hint: the country is in Europe.

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - A Rose by Any Other Name

* A. Entertainment

A1. A comedienne and singer, we probably remember this actress
best for her role on "The Dick van Dyke Show". Who?

A2. Loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin, the 1979 film
"The Rose" stars which iconic actress/singer?

* B. History

B1. "The Romance of the Rose" is the English title of an
allegorical poem written between 1240 and 1275 -- in
what language?

B2. The AMORC (Toronto headquarters on Broadview Av.) is a
mystical order better known by what name?

* C. Miscellaneous

C1. The line "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
is from Act 2, Scene 2, of which play?

C2. There are numerous songs which share this rosy title,
notably a 2010 single by Kelly Rowland and track #2 from
Blue Rodeo's 1987 album "Outskirts". Which title?

* D. Science

D1. Often used to make tea, the berry-like fruit of the rose
plant is given what name?

D2. Rose gold is made by alloying gold with 3% silver and about
22% of which element?

* E. Sports

E1. Pete Rose is the all-time Major League leader in hits
(with 4,256) and singles (3,215). Why, then, is he not
in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

E2. The most prestigious of the US college football bowl games,
the Rose Bowl is traditionally played on New Year's Day in
which California city? (Specific city, not metropolitan
area.)

* F. Literature

F1. The phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" originates in a
1913 poem by which author?

F2. Kurt Vonnegut's fifth novel was a social satire about a
philanthropist trying to give away his fortune. Name it.

--
Mark Brader | "As long as they can annoy people into buying their
Toronto | software ... Microsoft faces the tradeoff of spending
| It's not a hard choice." --Jonathan Goldberg

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: country names, rose challenge

<u7ia48$ev3$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4920&group=rec.games.trivia#4920

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 21:53:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 21:53 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Geography - Country Names

> 1. The name of which country is the name given to three strikes in
> a row in 10-pin bowling? (Or, at least, it was until late 2021,
> when the country changed its name.)

Turkey

> 2. The surname of the man who the NBA's web site describes as the
> greatest basketball player of all time.

Jordan

> 3. A word in the title of a 1963 James Bond movie.

Russia

> 4. A word in the title of a 1979 movie starring Jane Fonda, Jack
> Lemmon, and Michael Douglas, about a safety cover-up at a
> nuclear power plant.

China

> 5. The first name of the artist, renowned for her paintings of
> enlarged flowers and scenes of New Mexico, who is called "the
> Mother of American Modernism".

Georgia

> 6. The first name of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar-winner for
> "Jerry Maguire".

Cuba

> 7. The surname of the poet, journalist, and novelist who won the
> 1921 Nobel Prize in Literature. Hints: His first name is
> Anatole, and the country is in Europe.

France

> 8. A word that occurs 8 times -- sometimes preceded by the word
> "hanging" or "dimpled" -- in the US Supreme Court's decision in
> Bush v. Gore, the case that effectively decided the presidential
> election in the year 2000? Hint: the country is in Africa.

Chad

> 9. A pre-decimalization coin equal to 21 shillings. Hints: The
> country is in Africa, and its name occurs within the names of
> three other countries.

Guinea

> 10. A word in the name of a 17th-century palace and a large garden,
> both in Paris, located near the Sorbonne and the Pantheon.
> Hint: the country is in Europe.

Luxembourg

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - A Rose by Any Other Name

> * A. Entertainment

> A2. Loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin, the 1979 film
> "The Rose" stars which iconic actress/singer?

Bette Midler

> * B. History

> B1. "The Romance of the Rose" is the English title of an
> allegorical poem written between 1240 and 1275 -- in
> what language?

French

> B2. The AMORC (Toronto headquarters on Broadview Av.) is a
> mystical order better known by what name?

Rosicrucians

> * C. Miscellaneous

> C1. The line "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
> is from Act 2, Scene 2, of which play?

Romeo and Juliet

> * D. Science

> D1. Often used to make tea, the berry-like fruit of the rose
> plant is given what name?

rose hip

> D2. Rose gold is made by alloying gold with 3% silver and about
> 22% of which element?

copper

> * E. Sports

> E1. Pete Rose is the all-time Major League leader in hits
> (with 4,256) and singles (3,215). Why, then, is he not
> in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

because of his betting scandal

> E2. The most prestigious of the US college football bowl games,
> the Rose Bowl is traditionally played on New Year's Day in
> which California city? (Specific city, not metropolitan
> area.)

Pasadena

> * F. Literature

> F1. The phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" originates in a
> 1913 poem by which author?

Gertrude Stein

> F2. Kurt Vonnegut's fifth novel was a social satire about a
> philanthropist trying to give away his fortune. Name it.

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: country names, rose challenge

<u7j51p$22s91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4923&group=rec.games.trivia#4923

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 22:32:39 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 05:32 UTC

On 6/28/23 10:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Geography - Country Names
>
> 1. The name of which country is the name given to three strikes in
> a row in 10-pin bowling? (Or, at least, it was until late 2021,
> when the country changed its name.)

Turkey

> For the remaining questions, each answer similarly is also the
> name of a country, and these are all current names.
>
> 2. The surname of the man who the NBA's web site describes as the
> greatest basketball player of all time.

Jordan

> 3. A word in the title of a 1963 James Bond movie.

Russia

> 4. A word in the title of a 1979 movie starring Jane Fonda, Jack
> Lemmon, and Michael Douglas, about a safety cover-up at a
> nuclear power plant.

China

> 5. The first name of the artist, renowned for her paintings of
> enlarged flowers and scenes of New Mexico, who is called "the
> Mother of American Modernism".

Georgia

> 6. The first name of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar-winner for
> "Jerry Maguire".

Cuba

> 7. The surname of the poet, journalist, and novelist who won the
> 1921 Nobel Prize in Literature. Hints: His first name is
> Anatole, and the country is in Europe.

Monaco

> 8. A word that occurs 8 times -- sometimes preceded by the word
> "hanging" or "dimpled" -- in the US Supreme Court's decision in
> Bush v. Gore, the case that effectively decided the presidential
> election in the year 2000? Hint: the country is in Africa.

Chad

> 9. A pre-decimalization coin equal to 21 shillings. Hints: The
> country is in Africa, and its name occurs within the names of
> three other countries.

Guinea

> 10. A word in the name of a 17th-century palace and a large garden,
> both in Paris, located near the Sorbonne and the Pantheon.
> Hint: the country is in Europe.

Luxembourg

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - A Rose by Any Other Name
>
> * A. Entertainment
>
> A1. A comedienne and singer, we probably remember this actress
> best for her role on "The Dick van Dyke Show". Who?
>
> A2. Loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin, the 1979 film
> "The Rose" stars which iconic actress/singer?
>

> * B. History
>
> B1. "The Romance of the Rose" is the English title of an
> allegorical poem written between 1240 and 1275 -- in
> what language?

French

> B2. The AMORC (Toronto headquarters on Broadview Av.) is a
> mystical order better known by what name?

Rosicrucians

> * C. Miscellaneous
>
> C1. The line "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
> is from Act 2, Scene 2, of which play?

Romeo and Juliet

> C2. There are numerous songs which share this rosy title,
> notably a 2010 single by Kelly Rowland and track #2 from
> Blue Rodeo's 1987 album "Outskirts". Which title?
>

> * D. Science
>
> D1. Often used to make tea, the berry-like fruit of the rose
> plant is given what name?

rosehips

> D2. Rose gold is made by alloying gold with 3% silver and about
> 22% of which element?

copper

> * E. Sports
>
> E1. Pete Rose is the all-time Major League leader in hits
> (with 4,256) and singles (3,215). Why, then, is he not
> in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

he gambled on baseball games

> E2. The most prestigious of the US college football bowl games,
> the Rose Bowl is traditionally played on New Year's Day in
> which California city? (Specific city, not metropolitan
> area.)

Pasadena

> * F. Literature
>
> F1. The phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" originates in a
> 1913 poem by which author?
>
> F2. Kurt Vonnegut's fifth novel was a social satire about a
> philanthropist trying to give away his fortune. Name it.

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIBSI23 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: country names, rose challenge

<kOWdnRZ9VckYIz35nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4924&group=rec.games.trivia#4924

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: country names, rose challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 00:02:13 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 00:02 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-29,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 9 is over and STEPHEN PERRY is the winner. Hearty congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Geography - Country Names

> 1. The name of which country is the name given to three strikes in
> a row in 10-pin bowling? (Or, at least, it was until late 2021,
> when the country changed its name.)

Turkey. (Now officially Türkiye even in English. Bleagh.)
4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> For the remaining questions, each answer similarly is also the
> name of a country, and these are all current names.

> 2. The surname of the man who the NBA's web site describes as the
> greatest basketball player of all time.

Jordan. (Michael.) 4 for everyone.

> 3. A word in the title of a 1963 James Bond movie.

Russia. ("From Russia with Love".) 4 for everyone.

> 4. A word in the title of a 1979 movie starring Jane Fonda, Jack
> Lemmon, and Michael Douglas, about a safety cover-up at a
> nuclear power plant.

China. ("The China Syndrome".) 4 for everyone.

> 5. The first name of the artist, renowned for her paintings of
> enlarged flowers and scenes of New Mexico, who is called "the
> Mother of American Modernism".

Georgia. (O'Keeffe.) 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The first name of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar-winner for
> "Jerry Maguire".

Cuba. (Gooding Jr.) 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The surname of the poet, journalist, and novelist who won the
> 1921 Nobel Prize in Literature. Hints: His first name is
> Anatole, and the country is in Europe.

France. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 8. A word that occurs 8 times -- sometimes preceded by the word
> "hanging" or "dimpled" -- in the US Supreme Court's decision in
> Bush v. Gore, the case that effectively decided the presidential
> election in the year 2000? Hint: the country is in Africa.

Chad. 4 for everyone.

(See original pages 105-107, 120, and 134 -- PDF pages 8-10, 23, and
37 -- at http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/531/98/case.pdf
..)

> 9. A pre-decimalization coin equal to 21 shillings. Hints: The
> country is in Africa, and its name occurs within the names of
> three other countries.

Guinea. (Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Papua New Guinea.)
4 for everyone.

The original idea of the guinea was that it would be a gold coin
worth £1, i.e. 20 shillings; but its value was then based on the
actual price of gold compared to the silver of other coins, so it
varied, reaching 30 shillings at one point. In 1717 King George I
proclaimed a maximum value of 21 shillings for the guinea. 100 years
later a new £1 gold coin called the sovereign was introduced, and
this remained in use until the fiscal stresses of World War I put
an end to circulating gold coins. Even today the word "guinea"
is occasionally used in the UK to mean £1.05.

> 10. A word in the name of a 17th-century palace and a large garden,
> both in Paris, located near the Sorbonne and the Pantheon.
> Hint: the country is in Europe.

Luxembourg. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - A Rose by Any Other Name

> * A. Entertainment

> A1. A comedienne and singer, we probably remember this actress
> best for her role on "The Dick van Dyke Show". Who?

Rose Marie. (Rose Marie Mazzetta.) 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> A2. Loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin, the 1979 film
> "The Rose" stars which iconic actress/singer?

Bette Midler. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> * B. History

> B1. "The Romance of the Rose" is the English title of an
> allegorical poem written between 1240 and 1275 -- in
> what language?

(Old) French. 4 for everyone.

> B2. The AMORC (Toronto headquarters on Broadview Av.) is a
> mystical order better known by what name?

Rosicrucians. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Miscellaneous

> C1. The line "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
> is from Act 2, Scene 2, of which play?

"Romeo and Juliet". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. There are numerous songs which share this rosy title,
> notably a 2010 single by Kelly Rowland and track #2 from
> Blue Rodeo's 1987 album "Outskirts". Which title?

"Rose-Colored Glasses". 4 for Stephen.

> * D. Science

> D1. Often used to make tea, the berry-like fruit of the rose
> plant is given what name?

Rose hips. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. Rose gold is made by alloying gold with 3% silver and about
> 22% of which element?

Copper. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Sports

> E1. Pete Rose is the all-time Major League leader in hits
> (with 4,256) and singles (3,215). Why, then, is he not
> in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

He's permanently ineligible due to betting on baseball. 4 for
Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. The most prestigious of the US college football bowl games,
> the Rose Bowl is traditionally played on New Year's Day in
> which California city? (Specific city, not metropolitan
> area.)

Pasadena. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Literature

> F1. The phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" originates in a
> 1913 poem by which author?

Gertrude Stein. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> F2. Kurt Vonnegut's fifth novel was a social satire about a
> philanthropist trying to give away his fortune. Name it.

"God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Spo Can Aud Lit Mis Ent Geo Cha SEVEN
Stephen Perry 40 40 24 60 36 40 40 40 44 304
Joshua Kreitzer 36 16 4 60 32 36 40 40 40 284
Dan Blum 40 12 0 34 24 32 36 40 40 246
Dan Tilque 40 4 0 22 8 20 12 36 28 166
Pete Gayde 36 8 0 52 8 -- -- -- -- 104
Erland Sommarskog 32 0 -- -- -- 4 0 32 8 76

--
Mark Brader | "(There's no accounting for taste, I guess.)
Toronto | [*You*, not me!]"