Sweet sixteen is beautiful Bess, And her voice is changing -- from "No" to "Yes".

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high placesswp
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: dead stores and high placesMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<xESdnZcwGrw-Ij35nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4925&group=rec.games.trivia#4925

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 00:06:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 00:06 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"

You came to the mall for some simple retail therapy only to find
yourself transported back some 30-40 years! This mall is full
of stores long lost to past economic downturns or the shift to
online shopping. Let's explore!

In other words, this quiz is about defunct, or nearly defunct,
Canadian stores (including store chains, eateries, etc.). In each
case, name them.

1. Start at a big discount department store that was founded in
1931 and shut its last store in 2020, although it still lives on
as a brand name of the Hudson's Bay Co. Hope you brought your
points card -- the best things in life are free!

2. It's not Sam the Record Man (one of those still exists!), but
this rival chain founded by Mac and Alice Kenner (and her
brother Aaron) in the 1950s. Their flagship store was right
next to Sam's until they filed for bankruptcy protection in 1993.

3. A blue-and-white sign hangs over the entry to this store
founded in 1957 that seems to have everything. Grab a golf
pencil and order form, check the catalog, and hope they've
got what you want in the warehouse. Sadly, they filed for
bankruptcy in 1996.

4. You come across yet another discount department store founded
in 1960 and ironically only one storey high. While you once
made them part of your family, now their Sparky the Squirrel
mascot is arm in arm with Zeddy the Bear. It must be 1991 when
they were absorbed into Zellers.

5. All this shopping has built up an appetite for carbs! Find them
in the food court at this purposely misspelled coffee-and-bake
shop founded in 1979. Sadly, there's only one now, in the
Montreal suburbs.

6. Founded in Etobicoke in the late 1950s, and grown under retail
conglomerate Dylex to 249 discount clothing and general
merchandise stores across Canada, bankruptcy of this chain would
lead to the closure of all their stores in 2001. But while it
was open, it made a difference.

7. You've found the mid-to-higher-end department store, now sadly
shuttered due to mismanagement and competition in 2002 after
over 130 years in business. It lives on in Can-Lit, mostly
thanks to a 1946 incident in which the wrong item was shipped
to a 10-year-old boy in St-Justine, Quebec.

8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.

9. Pull out your grocery list at this boldly named supermarket
founded in 1919 and absorbed into Metro in 2008. There was
never a need to worry about the quality of produce here, as
they liked to say "We're Fresh Obsessed!"

10. You blink your eyes and are transported back to 2023, finding
yourself in a Best Buy! You could swear a moment ago you were
in that *other* electronics retailer that Best Buy bought out in
2001 and fully closed in 2015.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains

Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...

1. Wales.
2. Canada.
3. Sicily.
4. North America.
5. South America.
6. Washington state.
7. both Italy and France.
8. Pakistan. (It's also the second-tallest mountain in China.)
9. Mars.

And...

10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This is Programming as a True Art Form, where style
msb@vex.net | is more important than correctness... --Pontus Hedman

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<b6a92abc-6b1c-430b-8594-10f2be46474bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4926&group=rec.games.trivia#4926

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 01:22 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 7:07:10 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"
>
> 1. Start at a big discount department store that was founded in
> 1931 and shut its last store in 2020, although it still lives on
> as a brand name of the Hudson's Bay Co. Hope you brought your
> points card -- the best things in life are free!

Zellers

> 7. You've found the mid-to-higher-end department store, now sadly
> shuttered due to mismanagement and competition in 2002 after
> over 130 years in business. It lives on in Can-Lit, mostly
> thanks to a 1946 incident in which the wrong item was shipped
> to a 10-year-old boy in St-Justine, Quebec.

Eaton's

> 8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
> You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
> Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
> since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.

Miracles

> 10. You blink your eyes and are transported back to 2023, finding
> yourself in a Best Buy! You could swear a moment ago you were
> in that *other* electronics retailer that Best Buy bought out in
> 2001 and fully closed in 2015.

Circuit City
> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains
>
> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...
>
> 2. Canada.

Mt. Logan

> 3. Sicily.

Mt. Etna

> 4. North America.

Mt. McKinley

> 5. South America.

Chimborazo

> 6. Washington state.

Mt. Rainier

> 7. both Italy and France.

Mont Blanc

> 9. Mars.

Mons Olympus
> And...
>
> 10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

Newfoundland; Vancouver Island

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<u7qjht$36jkp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4927&group=rec.games.trivia#4927

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:23:07 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 01:23 UTC

On 7/1/23 17:06, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"
>
> You came to the mall for some simple retail therapy only to find
> yourself transported back some 30-40 years! This mall is full
> of stores long lost to past economic downturns or the shift to
> online shopping. Let's explore!
>
> In other words, this quiz is about defunct, or nearly defunct,
> Canadian stores (including store chains, eateries, etc.). In each
> case, name them.

Shirley, you jest!

> 1. Start at a big discount department store that was founded in
> 1931 and shut its last store in 2020, although it still lives on
> as a brand name of the Hudson's Bay Co. Hope you brought your
> points card -- the best things in life are free!
>
> 2. It's not Sam the Record Man (one of those still exists!), but
> this rival chain founded by Mac and Alice Kenner (and her
> brother Aaron) in the 1950s. Their flagship store was right
> next to Sam's until they filed for bankruptcy protection in 1993.
>
> 3. A blue-and-white sign hangs over the entry to this store
> founded in 1957 that seems to have everything. Grab a golf
> pencil and order form, check the catalog, and hope they've
> got what you want in the warehouse. Sadly, they filed for
> bankruptcy in 1996.
>
> 4. You come across yet another discount department store founded
> in 1960 and ironically only one storey high. While you once
> made them part of your family, now their Sparky the Squirrel
> mascot is arm in arm with Zeddy the Bear. It must be 1991 when
> they were absorbed into Zellers.
>
> 5. All this shopping has built up an appetite for carbs! Find them
> in the food court at this purposely misspelled coffee-and-bake
> shop founded in 1979. Sadly, there's only one now, in the
> Montreal suburbs.
>
> 6. Founded in Etobicoke in the late 1950s, and grown under retail
> conglomerate Dylex to 249 discount clothing and general
> merchandise stores across Canada, bankruptcy of this chain would
> lead to the closure of all their stores in 2001. But while it
> was open, it made a difference.
>
> 7. You've found the mid-to-higher-end department store, now sadly
> shuttered due to mismanagement and competition in 2002 after
> over 130 years in business. It lives on in Can-Lit, mostly
> thanks to a 1946 incident in which the wrong item was shipped
> to a 10-year-old boy in St-Justine, Quebec.
>
> 8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
> You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
> Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
> since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.
>
> 9. Pull out your grocery list at this boldly named supermarket
> founded in 1919 and absorbed into Metro in 2008. There was
> never a need to worry about the quality of produce here, as
> they liked to say "We're Fresh Obsessed!"
>
> 10. You blink your eyes and are transported back to 2023, finding
> yourself in a Best Buy! You could swear a moment ago you were
> in that *other* electronics retailer that Best Buy bought out in
> 2001 and fully closed in 2015.
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains
>
> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...
>
> 1. Wales.
> 2. Canada.

Mount Logan

> 3. Sicily.

Mount Etna

> 4. North America.

Denali

> 5. South America.
> 6. Washington state.

Mount Rainier

> 7. both Italy and France.

Mont Blanc

> 8. Pakistan. (It's also the second-tallest mountain in China.)

K2

> 9. Mars.

Olympus Mons

> And...
>
> 10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

Vancouver Island

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<u7qmln$cek$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4928&group=rec.games.trivia#4928

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 02:16:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 02:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"

> 8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
> You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
> Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
> since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.

Miracle

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains

> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...

> 1. Wales.

Snowdon

> 2. Canada.

Mt. Logan

> 3. Sicily.

Mt. Etna

> 4. North America.

Denali

> 5. South America.

Aconagua; Chimborazo

> 6. Washington state.

Mt. Rainier

> 7. both Italy and France.

Mont Blanc

> 9. Mars.

Olympus Mons

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<XnsB03575A92ABDCYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4929&group=rec.games.trivia#4929

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 11:33:59 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:33 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains
>
> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...
>
> 3. Sicily.

Etna

> 4. North America.

McKineley

> 5. South America.

Aconcagua

> 6. Washington state.

Rainier

> 7. both Italy and France.

Mont Blanc

> 10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

Baffin

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: dead stores and high places

<e2c7885f-351b-48e3-8e1b-528e5ec5a179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4930&group=rec.games.trivia#4930

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:05 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 8:07:10 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,

> Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and

have they tried using metamucil? ;-)

> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"
>
> You came to the mall for some simple retail therapy only to find
> yourself transported back some 30-40 years! This mall is full
> of stores long lost to past economic downturns or the shift to
> online shopping. Let's explore!

uh oh

> In other words, this quiz is about defunct, or nearly defunct,
> Canadian stores (including store chains, eateries, etc.). In each
> case, name them.
>
> 1. Start at a big discount department store that was founded in
> 1931 and shut its last store in 2020, although it still lives on
> as a brand name of the Hudson's Bay Co. Hope you brought your
> points card -- the best things in life are free!

zellers?

> 2. It's not Sam the Record Man (one of those still exists!), but
> this rival chain founded by Mac and Alice Kenner (and her
> brother Aaron) in the 1950s. Their flagship store was right
> next to Sam's until they filed for bankruptcy protection in 1993.

a & a books and records

> 3. A blue-and-white sign hangs over the entry to this store
> founded in 1957 that seems to have everything. Grab a golf
> pencil and order form, check the catalog, and hope they've
> got what you want in the warehouse. Sadly, they filed for
> bankruptcy in 1996.

canada goose?

> 4. You come across yet another discount department store founded
> in 1960 and ironically only one story high. While you once
> made them part of your family, now their Sparky the Squirrel
> mascot is arm in arm with Zeddy the Bear. It must be 1991 when
> they were absorbed into Zellers.

towers [and I am now thinking my answer to q1 is potentially less than fully correct]

> 5. All this shopping has built up an appetite for carbs! Find them
> in the food court at this purposely misspelled coffee-and-bake
> shop founded in 1979. Sadly, there's only one now, in the
> Montreal suburbs.

africa ; johnson

> 6. Founded in Etobicoke in the late 1950s, and grown under retail
> conglomerate Dylex to 249 discount clothing and general
> merchandise stores across Canada, bankruptcy of this chain would
> lead to the closure of all their stores in 2001. But while it
> was open, it made a difference.

hurricane hazel houseware and hazard supply company

> 7. You've found the mid-to-higher-end department store, now sadly
> shuttered due to mismanagement and competition in 2002 after
> over 130 years in business. It lives on in Can-Lit, mostly
> thanks to a 1946 incident in which the wrong item was shipped
> to a 10-year-old boy in St-Justine, Quebec.

the hockey sweater story ... um ... eaton's?

> 8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
> You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
> Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
> since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.

act of God ... m ... miracle-mart?

> 9. Pull out your grocery list at this boldly named supermarket
> founded in 1919 and absorbed into Metro in 2008. There was
> never a need to worry about the quality of produce here, as
> they liked to say "We're Fresh Obsessed!"

piggly wiggly

> 10. You blink your eyes and are transported back to 2023, finding
> yourself in a Best Buy! You could swear a moment ago you were
> in that *other* electronics retailer that Best Buy bought out in
> 2001 and fully closed in 2015.

future shop

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains
>
> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...
>
> 1. Wales.

snowdon

> 2. Canada.

mount logan

> 3. Sicily.

etna

> 4. North America.

mckinley

> 5. South America.

aconcagua

> 6. Washington state.

rainier

> 7. both Italy and France.

blanc

> 8. Pakistan. (It's also the second-tallest mountain in China.)

k2

> 9. Mars.

olympus mons

> And...
>
> 10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

newfoundland?

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | This is Programming as a True Art Form, where style
> m...@vex.net | is more important than correctness... --Pontus Hedman
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: dead stores and high places

<UEydnQ6rRZHHNzn5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4931&group=rec.games.trivia#4931

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: dead stores and high places
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 23:25:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 23:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - "Let's Go to the Mall"

> You came to the mall for some simple retail therapy only to find
> yourself transported back some 30-40 years! This mall is full
> of stores long lost to past economic downturns or the shift to
> online shopping. Let's explore!

> In other words, this quiz is about defunct, or nearly defunct,
> Canadian stores (including store chains, eateries, etc.). In each
> case, name them.

> 1. Start at a big discount department store that was founded in
> 1931 and shut its last store in 2020, although it still lives on
> as a brand name of the Hudson's Bay Co. Hope you brought your
> points card -- the best things in life are free!

Zellers. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

"The best things in life are free" was the slogan for their Club Z
frequent-shopper program.

> 2. It's not Sam the Record Man (one of those still exists!), but
> this rival chain founded by Mac and Alice Kenner (and her
> brother Aaron) in the 1950s. Their flagship store was right
> next to Sam's until they filed for bankruptcy protection in 1993.

A&A Records. 3 for Stephen.

The one surviving Sam the Record Man is at the Quinte Mall in Belleville.

> 3. A blue-and-white sign hangs over the entry to this store
> founded in 1957 that seems to have everything. Grab a golf
> pencil and order form, check the catalog, and hope they've
> got what you want in the warehouse. Sadly, they filed for
> bankruptcy in 1996.

Consumers Distributing.

> 4. You come across yet another discount department store founded
> in 1960 and ironically only one storey high. While you once
> made them part of your family, now their Sparky the Squirrel
> mascot is arm in arm with Zeddy the Bear. It must be 1991 when
> they were absorbed into Zellers.

Towers. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. All this shopping has built up an appetite for carbs! Find them
> in the food court at this purposely misspelled coffee-and-bake
> shop founded in 1979. Sadly, there's only one now, in the
> Montreal suburbs.

Mmmuffins. (Exact spelling not required. Also accepting Marvelous
Mmmuffins.)

> 6. Founded in Etobicoke in the late 1950s, and grown under retail
> conglomerate Dylex to 249 discount clothing and general
> merchandise stores across Canada, bankruptcy of this chain would
> lead to the closure of all their stores in 2001. But while it
> was open, it made a difference.

The Biway.

"It makes a difference" was their slogan.

> 7. You've found the mid-to-higher-end department store, now sadly
> shuttered due to mismanagement and competition in 2002 after
> over 130 years in business. It lives on in Can-Lit, mostly
> thanks to a 1946 incident in which the wrong item was shipped
> to a 10-year-old boy in St-Justine, Quebec.

Eaton's. (T. Eaton Co.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. Yet another discount department store, the sign just says "M".
> You know it had a longer name back when it was founded by the
> Steinberg's grocery chain in 1961. But it's been shut down
> since 1992 and would take an act of God for you to remember it.

Miracle Mart. (Both words required for full points.) 4 for Stephen.
3 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. Pull out your grocery list at this boldly named supermarket
> founded in 1919 and absorbed into Metro in 2008. There was
> never a need to worry about the quality of produce here, as
> they liked to say "We're Fresh Obsessed!"

Dominion.

Produce, hah. I remember when their slogan was "It's mainly because
of the meat"!

> 10. You blink your eyes and are transported back to 2023, finding
> yourself in a Best Buy! You could swear a moment ago you were
> in that *other* electronics retailer that Best Buy bought out in
> 2001 and fully closed in 2015.

Future Shop. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Tallest Mountains

> Name the tallest mountain in (or on)...

> 1. Wales.

Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa). 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

No, that wasn't rot13.

> 2. Canada.

Mt. Logan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. Sicily.

Mt. Etna. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Stephen.

> 4. North America.

Denali (accepting Mt. McKinley). 4 for everyone.

> 5. South America.

Aconcagua. I accepted "Aconagua". 4 for Erland and Stephen.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Washington state.

Mt. Rainier. 4 for everyone.

> 7. both Italy and France.

Mont Blanc (Monte Bianco). 4 for everyone.

> 8. Pakistan. (It's also the second-tallest mountain in China.)

K2 (accepting Mt. Godwin-Austen). 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 9. Mars.

Olympus Mons. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. The Cabox is the tallest mountain on *what Canadian island*?

Newfoundland. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

The tallest mountains on Vancouver I. and Baffin I. respectively are
the Golden Hinde [sic] and Mt. Odin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo
Stephen Perry 23 40 63
Joshua Kreitzer 11 27 38
Dan Blum 3 31 34
Dan Tilque 0 28 28
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "(And then there were the mtimes.
msb@vex.net | Oh, the mtimes...)" --Steve Summit