Wake up and smell the coffee. -- Ann Landers

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hostsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hostsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hostsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hostsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hostsDan Blum
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sausages and game-show hostsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

<-PqdnfOFzYimNjn5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4932&group=rec.games.trivia#4932

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 23:28:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 23:28 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World

What did the Buddha say to the hot-dog vendor? "Make me one
with everything."

Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.

1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
fat that make up 15% of its volume.

3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.

5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
sporting events.

6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.

7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
often paired with mashed potatoes?

8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?

9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
snack introduced in 1929?

10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?

* Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts

We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
You name the person who hosted that show during the period
indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
of credits for each host.

1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).
2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).
3. "Family Feud Canada" (2019-present).
4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).
5. "Only Connect" (on BBC4) (2008-present).
6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).

7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
but he is best known by his nickname.

8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).

9. "The Weakest Link" (airing on BBC2) (2000-12). Hint: on the
"Doctor Who" parody version of the show, the host was the
Anne Droid.

10. "Snatch Game" (2010-present). Note: This parody game show
within a reality competition has many international versions,
but we are looking for the original US host.

--
Mark Brader | "The right thinks the individual
Toronto | isn't important enough to make the decisions
| too important to be left to the individual." --Nick Atty

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

<c149eb91-f3ec-4041-b060-2ffdea56aa8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4933&group=rec.games.trivia#4933

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:41:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 23:41 UTC

On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 6:29:10 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World
>
> Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.
>
> 1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
> North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
> sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

kielbasa

> 3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
> The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
> ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

chorizo
> 4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
> spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.

andouille

> 5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
> sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
> sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
> sporting events.

bratwurst

> 6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
> will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
> ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.

knockwurst

> 7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
> its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
> often paired with mashed potatoes?

bangers

> 9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
> snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
> a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
> snack introduced in 1929?

Slim Jim
> 10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
> John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
> a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
> What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts
>
> We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
> You name the person who hosted that show during the period
> indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
> of credits for each host.
>
> 1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).

Chuck Barris

> 2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).

Steve Harvey

> 4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).

Jeff Probst

> 6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).

Howie Mandel
> 7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
> but he is best known by his nickname.

Wink Martindale

> 8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
> of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).

Jim Perry

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

<u82r5n$ddhs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4934&group=rec.games.trivia#4934

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 21:22:15 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 04:22 UTC

On 7/4/23 16:28, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World
>
> What did the Buddha say to the hot-dog vendor? "Make me one
> with everything."
>
> Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.
>
> 1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
> North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
> sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

kielbasa

> 2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
> its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
> fat that make up 15% of its volume.

pepperoni

> 3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
> The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
> ingredient in many Mexican dishes.
>
> 4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
> spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.
>
> 5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
> sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
> sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
> sporting events.

bratwurst

> 6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
> will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
> ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.
>
> 7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
> its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
> often paired with mashed potatoes?
>
> 8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
> traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?
>
> 9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
> snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
> a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
> snack introduced in 1929?
>
> 10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
> John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
> a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
> What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts
>
> We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
> You name the person who hosted that show during the period
> indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
> of credits for each host.
>
> 1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).
> 2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).
> 3. "Family Feud Canada" (2019-present).
> 4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).
> 5. "Only Connect" (on BBC4) (2008-present).
> 6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).
>
> 7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
> but he is best known by his nickname.
>
> 8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
> of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).
>
> 9. "The Weakest Link" (airing on BBC2) (2000-12). Hint: on the
> "Doctor Who" parody version of the show, the host was the
> Anne Droid.
>
> 10. "Snatch Game" (2010-present). Note: This parody game show
> within a reality competition has many international versions,
> but we are looking for the original US host.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

<XnsB03867D0C1D1DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4935&group=rec.games.trivia#4935

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 10:12:19 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 08:12 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World
>
> 2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
> its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
> fat that make up 15% of its volume.

Salsiccia
> 3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
> The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
> ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

Chorizo
> 5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
> sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
> sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
> sporting events.

Bratwurst

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sausages and game-show hosts

<u84odg$50k$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4936&group=rec.games.trivia#4936

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:47:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:47 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World

> 1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
> North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
> sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

kielbasa

> 3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
> The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
> ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

chorizo

> 4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
> spicier evolution of has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.

andouille

> 5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
> sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
> sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
> sporting events.

bratwurst

> 6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
> will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
> ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.

currywurst

> 7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
> its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
> often paired with mashed potatoes?

bangers

> 8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
> traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?

square; circle

> 9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
> snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
> a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
> snack introduced in 1929?

SlimJim

> 10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
> John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
> a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
> What is this much-debated question about hot dogs?

is a hot dog a sandwich?

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts

> 2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).

Steve Harvey

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sausages and game-show hosts

<ybGcnTX8_a_8eTX5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4937&group=rec.games.trivia#4937

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.27.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sausages and game-show hosts
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 04:21:53 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 04:21 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Sausages of the World

> What did the Buddha say to the hot-dog vendor? "Make me one
> with everything."

> Unless otherwise stated, in each case name the relevant sausage.

> 1. In Polish this word refers to any kind of sausage, but in
> North America it typically refers to a mild U-shaped pork
> sausage. A 42-foot-tall version stands outside Mundare, Alberta.

Kielbasa (or kubasa, kubie, etc.). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 2. The bulk of this Italian sausage is finely ground pork, but
> its distinctive appearance is due to the cubes of hard pork
> fat that make up 15% of its volume.

Mortadella.

> 3. The Spanish version of this pork sausage is spiced with paprika.
> The Mexican version is crumblier and much spicier and is an
> ingredient in many Mexican dishes.

Chorizo. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 4. This sausage is originally from northern France, but a much
> spicier evolution of [it] has become a key part of Cajun cuisine.

Andouille. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. In Germany this word refers to many different varieties of pork
> sausage, but in the Midwestern US it refers to a fatty pork
> sausage, usually grilled and served on a bun, popular at
> sporting events.

Bratwurst (accepting brat). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 6. In Toronto we have hot-dog carts. In Berlin the street vendors
> will typically be selling <answer 5>s with a distinctive spicy
> ketchup-based sauce, sold by this name.

Currywurst. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Apparently the name comes from this sausage's tendency to burst
> its casing during cooking. What are these British sausages
> often paired with mashed potatoes?

Bangers. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. If you order a Scottish breakfast you will find that the
> traditional Lorne sausage is what unusual shape?

Square. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Probably for legal reasons, manufacturer ConAgra refers to this
> snack food as "meat sticks" rather than sausages; but "Snap into
> a Meat Stick" isn't a great slogan. What is this sausage-like
> snack introduced in 1929?

Slim Jim. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has answered "No";
> John Hodgman and Merriam-Webster have answered "Yes". Asked for
> a decision in 2018, Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a nuanced judgement.
> What is this much-debated question about hot-dogs?

"Is a hot dog a sandwich?" 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game-Show Hosts

> We name one or more game shows and give a range of dates for each.
> You name the person who hosted that show during the period
> indicated. Note that this is not generally not a complete list
> of credits for each host.

> 1. "The Gong Show" (1976-80).

Chuck Barris. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. "Family Feud" (2010-present).

Steve Harvey. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. "Family Feud Canada" (2019-present).

Gerry Dee.

> 4. "Rock and Roll Jeopardy!" (1998-2001).

Jeff Probst. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "Only Connect" (on BBC4) (2008-present).

Victoria Coren (Mitchell).

> 6. "Deal or No Deal" (2005-09 and 2018-19).

Howie Mandel. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. "Tic Tac Dough" (1978-85). Hint: His given name is Winston
> but he is best known by his nickname.

Wink Martindale. 4 for Joshua.

Fun Fact: He created "Bumper Stumpers".

> 8. "Headline Hunters" (1972-83), "Card Sharks" (1978-81), "Sale
> of the Century" (1983-89), and "Definition" (1975-89).

Jim Perry. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. "The Weakest Link" (airing on BBC2) (2000-12). Hint: on the
> "Doctor Who" parody version of the show, the host was the
> Anne Droid.

Anne Robinson.

> 10. "Snatch Game" (2010-present). Note: This parody game show
> within a reality competition has many international versions,
> but we are looking for the original US host.

RuPaul Charles. (RuPaul was sufficient.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 11 27 28 24 90
Dan Blum 3 31 35 4 73
Stephen Perry 23 40 -- -- 63
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 0 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 28

--
Mark Brader | It is easy to run a secure computer system. You
Toronto | merely have to disconnect all dial-up connections,