The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailingPete Gayde
`* QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailingMark Brader
 +* QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailingDan Tilque
 |+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailingErland Sommarskog
 |`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailingMark Brader
 `- QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailingErland Sommarskog

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<LumcnThQn5WteDX5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4938&group=rec.games.trivia#4938

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 04:25:20 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 04:25 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History

1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
in 1871. What city?

3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
which empire?

5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
founded by who?

7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
ever since. Which organization?

8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
What nation?

9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
as President of Turkey?

* Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms

In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.

1. A kitchen on a boat.
2. A floating navigational marker.
3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.
4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail.
5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.
6. A short piece of wood by which the rudder is turned.
7. A rope or brass ring in a sail or a piece of canvas.
8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
them.

9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
of the weather side.

10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

--
Mark Brader "Hacking for 8 years gives a guy a memory.
Toronto If you was with a woman -- I'd've noticed."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<1bf289c3-f54d-43d1-bd84-a7d6eb27a26fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4939&group=rec.games.trivia#4939

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 05:41 UTC

On Friday, July 7, 2023 at 11:25:29 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History
>
> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite Empire

> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy

> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istanbul

> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman Empire

> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suleiman

> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Ataturk

> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

North Atlantic Treaty Organization

> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus

> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union

> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey?

Erdogan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms
>
> In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.
>
> 1. A kitchen on a boat.

galley

> 2. A floating navigational marker.

dinghy

> 3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.

head

> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.

keel

> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.

belay

> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

lee side
> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

spinnaker

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<u8brr4$eb2$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4940&group=rec.games.trivia#4940

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:28:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:28 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History

> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite

> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy

> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istanbul

> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman

> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suleiman

> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Kemal Ataturk

> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

United Nations

> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'?tat in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus

> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union

> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey?

Erdogan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms

> 1. A kitchen on a boat.

galley

> 2. A floating navigational marker.

buoy

> 3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.

head

> 4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail.

boom

> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.

keel

> 7. A rope or brass ring in a sail or a piece of canvas.

sheet

> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.

splice

> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

leeward

> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

spinnaker

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<XnsB03BE0672BC65Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4941&group=rec.games.trivia#4941

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 22:03:34 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 20:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History

Questions about those scumbags! Bleech!

(OK, they are not all scumbags, only Erdogan.)

> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite
> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy
> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istanbul
> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman
> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suleyman
> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

NATO

Problematic, indeed!
> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus
> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union
> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey?

Erdogan
> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms
>
> In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.
>
> 2. A floating navigational marker.

Buoy

> 4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail.

Spinnaker

> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.

Knot
> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

Leeway
> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

Spinnaker

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<u8d6g7$21cpb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4942&group=rec.games.trivia#4942

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:36:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 02:36 UTC

On 7/7/23 21:25, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History
>
> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite

> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy

> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istambul

> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman

> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suleiman

> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Kemal Ataturk

> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

NATO

> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus

> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union

> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey?

Erdogan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms
>
> In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.
>
> 1. A kitchen on a boat.

galley

> 2. A floating navigational marker.

buoy

> 3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.

head

> 4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail. > 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.

keel

> 6. A short piece of wood by which the rudder is turned.
> 7. A rope or brass ring in a sail or a piece of canvas.

sheet

> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.

splice

> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

leeward

> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

lanteen

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: Turkey, sailing

<u8ib32$2mcln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4943&group=rec.games.trivia#4943

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:26:02 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 01:26 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History
>
> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite

> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy

> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istanbul

> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman

> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suliemann

> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Kemal Ataturk

> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

NATO

> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus

> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union

> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey?

Erdogan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms
>
> In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.
>
> 1. A kitchen on a boat.

Galley

> 2. A floating navigational marker.

Buoy

> 3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.

Head

> 4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail.

Jib

> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.

Keel

> 6. A short piece of wood by which the rudder is turned.

Tiller

> 7. A rope or brass ring in a sail or a piece of canvas.
> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.
>
> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

Alee

> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

Jib

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing

<UDOdnX0BZcMQQTH5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4944&group=rec.games.trivia#4944

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:37:33 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:37 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-05,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - History - Turkish History

> 1. With their capital at Hattusas, this empire based in modern
> Turkey was one of the great powers of the ancient world.
> They clashed with the Egyptians under Ramses II at the battle
> of Qadesh. Which empire was this?

Hittite Empire. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. This legendary city is located at the site of Hisarlik.
> Heinrich Schliemann started archeological excavations there
> in 1871. What city?

Troy. 4 for everyone.

This came up on "Jeopardy!" the same day I posted the round. It was
a Daily Double in the $1,600 slot of category "Ancient Artifacts".
The player bet $2,500; the question asked where Schliemann found
gold ornaments he called "the Jewels of Helen" in 1873; the player
correctly named Troy and went on to win.

> 3. The Byzantine Empire takes its name from the ancient city of
> Byzantium, which was located on the site of which modern city?

Istanbul. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Dam Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. In 1453 Constantinople fell to Mehmet the Conqueror, leader of
> which empire?

Ottoman Empire. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The <answer 4> reached its zenith in the 16th century under
> the reign of which sultan nicknamed "the Magnificent"?

Suleiman I. 4 for everyone.

> 6. The <answer 4> officially ended in 1922, superseded by a republic
> founded by who?

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Turkey joined this organization in 1952 along with their
> arch-rivals Greece. They have been a problematic member
> ever since. Which organization?

NATO. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

It has just been announced that Turkey will finally be approving
Sweden's application for membership.

> 8. Following a 1974 coup d'état in this nation, Turkish armed
> forces invaded and occupied the northern half of the country,
> enforcing a partition which continues to the present.
> What nation?

Cyprus. 4 for everyone.

> 9. In 1959 Turkey applied for associate membership in this
> organization. They applied for formal membership in 1987,
> and accession discussions started in 2005. They still have not
> been admitted -- to what organization? Give its current name.

European Union. 4 for everyone.

> 10. On 2023-05-28, who won a run-off election to win his 3rd term
> as President of Turkey.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan ["AIR-doh-wahn"]. 4 for everyone.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Sports - Sailing Terms

> In each case, identify the sailing-related term described.

> 1. A kitchen on a boat.

Galley. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

A version of this question was used on "Jeopardy!" the same day as
the original game! On the show, they also mentioned that the word
could also mean a type of boat.

> 2. A floating navigational marker.

Buoy. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

A dinghy is a small boat.

> 3. A sail's top corner; also a boat's toilet.

Head. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. The spar that takes the lower edge of a sail.

Boom. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.

Keel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 6. A short piece of wood by which the rudder is turned.

Tiller. 4 for Pete.

> 7. A rope or brass ring in a sail or a piece of canvas.

Grommet.

> 8. To join ropes or wires by unlaying the strands and interweaving
> them.

Splice. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

Just like with stranded electrical wire,

> 9. The side opposite that from which the wind blows; the opposite
> of the weather side.

Lee(ward). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

"Alee" is an adverb. "Leeway" is a different word.

> 10. A triangular headsail set on a stay forward of the foremast,
> useful for sailing upwind or close to the wind.

Jib. 4 for Pete.

Not "spinnaker"; that's not necessarily triangular, is set
differently, and it is intended for sailing downwind.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Ent His Spo FOUR
Dan Blum 3 31 35 4 36 28 130
Joshua Kreitzer 11 27 28 24 40 16 119
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 0 40 20 96
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 40 4 72
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 40 27 67
Stephen Perry 23 40 -- -- -- -- 63

--
Mark Brader | "I'm here to give you the whole truth. All printed
Toronto | dictionaries of English are wrong. ... Deal with it."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing

<u8iqkt$2rb6d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4947&group=rec.games.trivia#4947

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:51:23 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:51 UTC

On 7/10/23 21:37, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.
>
> Keel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

I actually got this one, but I can see why you didn't give me credit. I
somehow deleted the new line between Q4 and this one, puttting both
questions on the same line and making it look like my answer "keel" was
for #4.

I have no idea how that happened. I can't blame a mouse wheel, since I
now use a laptop that doesn't have one. I don't think it looked like
they were on the same line when I posted. I would definitely have fixed
it if I had noticed.

I apologize for messing this up.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing

<XnsB03E633CD9063Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4949&group=rec.games.trivia#4949

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:45:19 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:45 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
> I actually got this one, but I can see why you didn't give me credit. I
> somehow deleted the new line between Q4 and this one, puttting both
> questions on the same line and making it look like my answer "keel" was
> for #4.
>
> I have no idea how that happened. I can't blame a mouse wheel, since I
> now use a laptop that doesn't have one. I don't think it looked like
> they were on the same line when I posted. I would definitely have fixed
> it if I had noticed.

But at least you had the answer there!

Some time back when Mark posted the results of a Current Events around,
I was puzzled that no one had gotten who got the bronze medal in the
World Championships in ice hockey, something I knew very well.

I went back and checked the answer slate and found that I had the question
in the post, but the answer was missing. I suspsect I had left the next
question there in case I would figure it out and when I deleted it, I
mistakenly deleted the line that said Latvia as well.

Oh well.

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing

<XnsB03E6387E2845Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4950&group=rec.games.trivia#4950

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:47:03 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:47 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> It has just been announced that Turkey will finally be approving
> Sweden's application for membership.

I saw the headlines this morning, and I haven't read the details yet.
But my initial reaction was that Erdogan very well may come up with
something new obstacle later on.

(And there is also Mr. Orbán who has been dragging his feet.)

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: Turkey, sailing

<JsidnQE9yrzwOjD5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4952&group=rec.games.trivia#4952

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:03:09 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 5. The center-line backbone at the bottom of a boat.
>> Keel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Dan Tilque:
> I actually got this one, but I can see why you didn't give me credit. I
> somehow deleted the new line between Q4 and this one...

I actually noticed that when I first read Dan's answers, but had
forgotten it by the time I did the scoring. Sorry. 4 for Dan Tilque
also.

Correct scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Ent His Spo FOUR
Dan Blum 3 31 35 4 36 28 130
Joshua Kreitzer 11 27 28 24 40 16 119
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 0 40 24 100
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 40 4 72
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 40 27 67
Stephen Perry 23 40 -- -- -- -- 63

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...This is due to the Coincidence effect,
msb@vex.net | more so than the Coriolis." -- Cindy Kandolf