There is no statute of limitations on stupidity.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8 answers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Mark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Dan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Dan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Pete Gayde
+- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8Erland Sommarskog
`- QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<lu2dnQ-w3vnu5zP5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4954&group=rec.games.trivia#4954

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:03:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events

1. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron James, the expected
top pick at Wednesday's NBA draft was indeed picked first by
the San Antonio Spurs. Standing at 7 feet 4 inches, and hailing
from France, name this 19-year-old.

2. The disappearance and ultimate fate of the submersible Titan has
been in the news all week. Please name the company that operated
the ill-fated vessel.

3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
visit China. What is his name?

5. On Wednesday it was announced that one company has agreed to pay
at least $50,000,000 for its role in the bread-price-fixing
scandal. This company's brands include Dempster's, Stonemill,
and Vachon. It was majority-controlled by Maple Leaf Foods
until its sale to Mexican food giant Grupo Bimbo in 2014.
Name the company.

6. Ontario's new language curriculum, effective in September, will
once again make learning what method of communication mandatory?
This method was relegated to "optional" in 2006.

7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
Name the company.

8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
released international concert tour schedule does not include
anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?

9. For the first time on record, two Atlantic tropical cyclones
have formed in June in the Main Development Region -- the band
from 10 to 20 degrees north, where 75% of Category 3, 4, or 5
hurricanes form. They are the second and third named storms
of the season. Please name *either*.

10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
games since 1936.

* Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Senegal's president has announced he will not seek a third term
in 2024, which would have caused much controversy as that would
have violated the country's constitution. Who is he?

2. On Saturday, the Dutch government collapsed! The Prime Minister
visited King Willem-Alexander to submit the resignation of his
four-party coalition government. It will remain in power until
the next election as a caretaker administration, but will not
pass any new laws. Name that PM.

3. Kent Monkman, Masai Uriji, and Daniel Levy were three of 85
new appointees to receive what national honor? Its motto is
DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM -- "They desire a better country".

4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
Meta's new app?

5. For the first time in 42 years, country songs hold the #1 and
#2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart -- and they've
been there for 2 weeks straight. Name *either song, or either
artist*. (That's right, four possible answers.)

6. "Magic: The Gathering" is the world's largest collectible card
game, and one of its most recent expansions is based on the
works of J.R.R Tolkien. A Toronto retail worker has found a
unique card featured in this expansion, which may be worth more
than $3,000,000 Canadian once the dust has settled. What is
featured on this unique card?

7. As trading closed on Friday, June 30, Apple made Wall St. history
as the first company with a market value of how much?
They gained 2.3% that day.

8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

9. The 2023 NHL Awards were held on June 26. Who became only the
fourth player to win the Hart Trophy 3 times before turning 27
years old? This award is for the most valuable player.

10. This nurse and sex educator began her broadcasting career in
the 1980s on Q107, hosting the "Sunday Night Sex Show", followed
by various TV talk shows. Her mission was to focus was to
destigmatize the subject of sex She passed away on June 28,
aged 93. Who was she?

--
Mark Brader "...but the past thousand years
Toronto, msb@vex.net have been atypical."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<u8n98c$r$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4955&group=rec.games.trivia#4955

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:25:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:25 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events

> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Elon Musk

> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Blinken

> 6. Ontario's new language curriculum, effective in September, will
> once again make learning what method of communication mandatory?
> This method was relegated to "optional" in 2006.

sign language

> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Warner

> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin

> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
> to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
> threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
> Meta's new app?

Threads

> 6. "Magic: The Gathering" is the world's largest collectible card
> game, and one of its most recent expansions is based on the
> works of J.R.R Tolkien. A Toronto retail worker has found a
> unique card featured in this expansion, which may be worth more
> than $3,000,000 Canadian once the dust has settled. What is
> featured on this unique card?

The One Ring

> 7. As trading closed on Friday, June 30, Apple made Wall St. history
> as the first company with a market value of how much?
> They gained 2.3% that day.

one trillion dollars

> 8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
> with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
> explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
> due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

land mines

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<1716ca57-ca0e-4523-9644-be30de17c981n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4956&group=rec.games.trivia#4956

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 00:04 UTC

On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 5:03:36 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events
>
> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Zuckerberg

> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Blinken

> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Wagner
> 8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
> in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
> released international concert tour schedule does not include
> anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
> America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?

Taylor Swift

> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin
> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Kent Monkman, Masai Uriji, and Daniel Levy were three of 85
> new appointees to receive what national honor? Its motto is
> DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM -- "They desire a better country".

Order of Canada

> 4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
> to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
> threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
> Meta's new app?

Threads

> 5. For the first time in 42 years, country songs hold the #1 and
> #2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart -- and they've
> been there for 2 weeks straight. Name *either song, or either
> artist*. (That's right, four possible answers.)

"Fast Car"

> 10. This nurse and sex educator began her broadcasting career in
> the 1980s on Q107, hosting the "Sunday Night Sex Show", followed
> by various TV talk shows. Her mission was to focus was to
> destigmatize the subject of sex She passed away on June 28,
> aged 93. Who was she?

Johansen

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<u8qesf$3u6d5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4958&group=rec.games.trivia#4958

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:19:40 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:19 UTC

On 7/12/23 03:03, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events
>
> 1. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron James, the expected
> top pick at Wednesday's NBA draft was indeed picked first by
> the San Antonio Spurs. Standing at 7 feet 4 inches, and hailing
> from France, name this 19-year-old.
>
> 2. The disappearance and ultimate fate of the submersible Titan has
> been in the news all week. Please name the company that operated
> the ill-fated vessel.

OceanGate

> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Musk

> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Blinken

> 5. On Wednesday it was announced that one company has agreed to pay
> at least $50,000,000 for its role in the bread-price-fixing
> scandal. This company's brands include Dempster's, Stonemill,
> and Vachon. It was majority-controlled by Maple Leaf Foods
> until its sale to Mexican food giant Grupo Bimbo in 2014.
> Name the company.
>
> 6. Ontario's new language curriculum, effective in September, will
> once again make learning what method of communication mandatory?
> This method was relegated to "optional" in 2006.

sign language

> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Wagner

> 8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
> in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
> released international concert tour schedule does not include
> anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
> America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?
>
> 9. For the first time on record, two Atlantic tropical cyclones
> have formed in June in the Main Development Region -- the band
> from 10 to 20 degrees north, where 75% of Category 3, 4, or 5
> hurricanes form. They are the second and third named storms
> of the season. Please name *either*.
>
> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin

> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Senegal's president has announced he will not seek a third term
> in 2024, which would have caused much controversy as that would
> have violated the country's constitution. Who is he?
>
> 2. On Saturday, the Dutch government collapsed! The Prime Minister
> visited King Willem-Alexander to submit the resignation of his
> four-party coalition government. It will remain in power until
> the next election as a caretaker administration, but will not
> pass any new laws. Name that PM.
>
> 3. Kent Monkman, Masai Uriji, and Daniel Levy were three of 85
> new appointees to receive what national honor? Its motto is
> DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM -- "They desire a better country".
>
> 4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
> to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
> threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
> Meta's new app?

Threads

> 5. For the first time in 42 years, country songs hold the #1 and
> #2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart -- and they've
> been there for 2 weeks straight. Name *either song, or either
> artist*. (That's right, four possible answers.)

Fast Car

> 6. "Magic: The Gathering" is the world's largest collectible card
> game, and one of its most recent expansions is based on the
> works of J.R.R Tolkien. A Toronto retail worker has found a
> unique card featured in this expansion, which may be worth more
> than $3,000,000 Canadian once the dust has settled. What is
> featured on this unique card?

The One Ring

> 7. As trading closed on Friday, June 30, Apple made Wall St. history
> as the first company with a market value of how much?
> They gained 2.3% that day.

$3 trillion

> 8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
> with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
> explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
> due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

clusterbomb

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<u8qfd7$3u7rq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4959&group=rec.games.trivia#4959

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:28:49 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:28 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events
>
> 1. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron James, the expected
> top pick at Wednesday's NBA draft was indeed picked first by
> the San Antonio Spurs. Standing at 7 feet 4 inches, and hailing
> from France, name this 19-year-old.

Wemby

> 2. The disappearance and ultimate fate of the submersible Titan has
> been in the news all week. Please name the company that operated
> the ill-fated vessel.

Oceangate

> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Elon Musk

> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Blinken

> 5. On Wednesday it was announced that one company has agreed to pay
> at least $50,000,000 for its role in the bread-price-fixing
> scandal. This company's brands include Dempster's, Stonemill,
> and Vachon. It was majority-controlled by Maple Leaf Foods
> until its sale to Mexican food giant Grupo Bimbo in 2014.
> Name the company.
>
> 6. Ontario's new language curriculum, effective in September, will
> once again make learning what method of communication mandatory?
> This method was relegated to "optional" in 2006.
>
> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Wagner

> 8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
> in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
> released international concert tour schedule does not include
> anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
> America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?
>
> 9. For the first time on record, two Atlantic tropical cyclones
> have formed in June in the Main Development Region -- the band
> from 10 to 20 degrees north, where 75% of Category 3, 4, or 5
> hurricanes form. They are the second and third named storms
> of the season. Please name *either*.
>
> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin

> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Senegal's president has announced he will not seek a third term
> in 2024, which would have caused much controversy as that would
> have violated the country's constitution. Who is he?
>
> 2. On Saturday, the Dutch government collapsed! The Prime Minister
> visited King Willem-Alexander to submit the resignation of his
> four-party coalition government. It will remain in power until
> the next election as a caretaker administration, but will not
> pass any new laws. Name that PM.
>
> 3. Kent Monkman, Masai Uriji, and Daniel Levy were three of 85
> new appointees to receive what national honor? Its motto is
> DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM -- "They desire a better country".
>
> 4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
> to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
> threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
> Meta's new app?

Threads

> 5. For the first time in 42 years, country songs hold the #1 and
> #2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart -- and they've
> been there for 2 weeks straight. Name *either song, or either
> artist*. (That's right, four possible answers.)
>
> 6. "Magic: The Gathering" is the world's largest collectible card
> game, and one of its most recent expansions is based on the
> works of J.R.R Tolkien. A Toronto retail worker has found a
> unique card featured in this expansion, which may be worth more
> than $3,000,000 Canadian once the dust has settled. What is
> featured on this unique card?
>
> 7. As trading closed on Friday, June 30, Apple made Wall St. history
> as the first company with a market value of how much?
> They gained 2.3% that day.

2 trillion dollars

> 8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
> with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
> explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
> due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

Barrel bombs

> 9. The 2023 NHL Awards were held on June 26. Who became only the
> fourth player to win the Hart Trophy 3 times before turning 27
> years old? This award is for the most valuable player.

Connor McDavid

> 10. This nurse and sex educator began her broadcasting career in
> the 1980s on Q107, hosting the "Sunday Night Sex Show", followed
> by various TV talk shows. Her mission was to focus was to
> destigmatize the subject of sex She passed away on June 28,
> aged 93. Who was she?

Ruth Westheimer

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8

<XnsB0415F6B1E989Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4960&group=rec.games.trivia#4960

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:22:47 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:22 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events
>
> 2. The disappearance and ultimate fate of the submersible Titan has
> been in the news all week. Please name the company that operated
> the ill-fated vessel.

Ocean Blue?

> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Zuckerberg
> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Blinken
> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Wagner group

> 8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
> in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
> released international concert tour schedule does not include
> anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
> America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?

Taylor Swift?
> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin; Wroclaw

> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. On Saturday, the Dutch government collapsed! The Prime Minister
> visited King Willem-Alexander to submit the resignation of his
> four-party coalition government. It will remain in power until
> the next election as a caretaker administration, but will not
> pass any new laws. Name that PM.

Mark Rutte (who since has announced that we will leave politics)
> 8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
> with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
> explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
> due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

Cluster bombs

QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8 answers

<qr2cnVsGSOiH_yn5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=4968&group=rec.games.trivia#4968

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Current Events 7-8 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 21:33:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 21:33 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 1 (2023-06-26) - Current Events

> 1. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron James, the expected
> top pick at Wednesday's NBA draft was indeed picked first by
> the San Antonio Spurs. Standing at 7 feet 4 inches, and hailing
> from France, name this 19-year-old.

Victor Wembanyama (accepting "Wemby"). 4 for Pete.

> 2. The disappearance and ultimate fate of the submersible Titan has
> been in the news all week. Please name the company that operated
> the ill-fated vessel.

OceanGate Inc. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 3. With UFC president Dana White reportedly trying to broker a deal,
> a cage fight that was agreed to over social media by two CEOs
> may come to fruition. Name *either* of the two businessmen.

Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Erland.

> 4. On Sunday the US Secretary of State traveled to China to meet
> with senior officials, including President Xi Jinping. He is
> the highest-ranking member of Joe Biden's administration to
> visit China. What is his name?

Antony Blinken. 4 for everyone.

> 5. On Wednesday it was announced that one company has agreed to pay
> at least $50,000,000 for its role in the bread-price-fixing
> scandal. This company's brands include Dempster's, Stonemill,
> and Vachon. It was majority-controlled by Maple Leaf Foods
> until its sale to Mexican food giant Grupo Bimbo in 2014.
> Name the company.

Canada Bread Co. Ltd.

> 6. Ontario's new language curriculum, effective in September, will
> once again make learning what method of communication mandatory?
> This method was relegated to "optional" in 2006.

Cursive handwriting.

> 7. Late last week, Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed he and his fighters had
> taken Rostov-on-Don, in what turned out to be a very short-lived
> revolt. Prigozhin is the leader of a private military company
> that has been a critical asset in Putin's war on Ukraine.
> Name the company.

Wagner Group (accepting anything with "Wagner"). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. An Alberta MP is reportedly filing an "official grievance"
> in the House of Commons because a certain performer's recently
> released international concert tour schedule does not include
> anywhere in Canada. Shows are currently planned for Latin
> America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Who is the performer?

Taylor Swift. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 9. For the first time on record, two Atlantic tropical cyclones
> have formed in June in the Main Development Region -- the band
> from 10 to 20 degrees north, where 75% of Category 3, 4, or 5
> hurricanes form. They are the second and third named storms
> of the season. Please name *either*.

Bret, Cindy.

> 10. What city hosted the Special Olympics World Games last week?
> It was the first time this city has hosted any sort of Olympic
> games since 1936.

Berlin. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Erland.

> * Game 8 (2023-07-10), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Senegal's president has announced he will not seek a third term
> in 2024, which would have caused much controversy as that would
> have violated the country's constitution. Who is he?

Macky Sall.

> 2. On Saturday, the Dutch government collapsed! The Prime Minister
> visited King Willem-Alexander to submit the resignation of his
> four-party coalition government. It will remain in power until
> the next election as a caretaker administration, but will not
> pass any new laws. Name that PM.

Mark Rutte. 4 for Erland.

> 3. Kent Monkman, Masai Uriji, and Daniel Levy were three of 85
> new appointees to receive what national honor? Its motto is
> DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM -- "They desire a better country".

The Order of Canada. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Meta launched its new text-based app on Wednesday, which is seen
> to be a competitor to Twitter. Twitter has responded with
> threats of legal action against Meta. What is the name of
> Meta's new app?

Threads. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

#1 song "Last Night", Morgan Wallen; #2 song "Fast Car", Luke Combs.
4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

Yes, "Fast Car" is a cover of the 1988 Tracy Chapman hit

> 6. "Magic: The Gathering" is the world's largest collectible card
> game, and one of its most recent expansions is based on the
> works of J.R.R Tolkien. A Toronto retail worker has found a
> unique card featured in this expansion, which may be worth more
> than $3,000,000 Canadian once the dust has settled. What is
> featured on this unique card?

The One Ring. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. As trading closed on Friday, June 30, Apple made Wall St. history
> as the first company with a market value of how much?
> They gained 2.3% that day.

$3,000,000,000,000 (US). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. On Friday, the USA announced it would begin to supply Ukraine
> with what class of controversial weapon, consisting of multiple
> explosive bomblets? They are banned by more than 100 countries
> due to risks to civilians both during and long after attacks.

Cluster munitions. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 9. The 2023 NHL Awards were held on June 26. Who became only the
> fourth player to win the Hart Trophy 3 times before turning 27
> years old? This award is for the most valuable player.

Connor McDavid. 4 for Pete.

> 10. This nurse and sex educator began her broadcasting career in
> the 1980s on Q107, hosting the "Sunday Night Sex Show", followed
> by various TV talk shows. Her mission was to focus was to
> destigmatize the subject of sex[.] She passed away on June 28,
> aged 93. Who was she?

Sue Johanson. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- 36 36 -- -- 152
Dan Tilque 16 4 20 20 4 16 20 20 112
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 16 16 4 12 20 16 92
Dan Blum 11 8 16 16 0 12 15 8 78
Pete Gayde 16 4 -- -- 4 16 24 8 72
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 4 8 12 12 19 8 67

--
Mark Brader | "There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?"
Toronto | "Duh."