Truth can wait; he's used to it.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6 answers: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsswp
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsPete Gayde
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6 answers: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascotsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<-LOcneJd87_PdVv5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5016&group=rec.games.trivia#5016

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:46:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:46 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners

Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
in Major League baseball.

1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
Rustlers.

For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
All of them have won the award more than once each.

2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
"Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
'70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.

5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
the Astros.

6. Other than <answer 5>, the only Blue Jay with multiple Cy Young
wins is this man, who won as a Jay in 2003 and as a Philly
in 2010. He died in a plane crash in 2017.

7. The only Montreal Expo to win the Cy Young was this pitcher, who
did it in 1997. He added two more awards playing for the
Red Sox.

8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
Diamondbacks.

9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
following 3 years as a Brave.

10. Despite a career plagued by injuries, this New York Met managed
to win the Cy Young in 2018 and 2019.

* Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo

Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.

The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
(With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)

1. Peter Gabriel.
2. Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J.
3. Shakira.
4. The Who.
5. Duran Duran.
6. Culture Club.
7. Led Zeppelin.
8. Heart.
9. The Trashmen.
10. Meat Loaf.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots

1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
product that the brothers were famous for producing.

4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
in 1993. Name this mascot.

6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
Pillsbury Doughboy?`

7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
in computer animation.

8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
ask you. What is this character's actual name?

9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.

10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

--
Mark Brader "How many pessimists end up by desiring
Toronto the things they fear, in order to prove

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<71875ec0-a531-470e-8cbf-f909e8c7246bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5017&group=rec.games.trivia#5017

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 16:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 23:11 UTC

On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 5:46:53 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners
>
> Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
> in Major League baseball.
>
> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1899
> For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
> All of them have won the award more than once each.
>
> 2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
> Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

Sandy Koufax

> 3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
> "Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
> '70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Tom Seaver

> 4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
> the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.

Jim Palmer

> 5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
> He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
> two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
> the Astros.

Roger Clemens

> 8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
> the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
> Diamondbacks.

Randy Johnson
> 9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
> Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
> following 3 years as a Brave.

Greg Maddox

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo
>
> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.
>
> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)
>
> 1. Peter Gabriel.

"Shock the Monkey"

> 4. The Who.

"Boris the Spider"

> 5. Duran Duran.

"Hungry Like the Wolf"
> 6. Culture Club.

"Karma Chameleon"

> 7. Led Zeppelin.

"Black Dog"

> 8. Heart.

"Barracuda"

> 9. The Trashmen.

"Surfin' Bird"
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots
>
> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

McGruff

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

Charlie Tuna

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

Michelin Man

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

Monopoly Man

> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

Spuds MacKenzie

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`

Poppin' Fresh

> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.

Luxo Jr.

> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

Bob

> 10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
> been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
> his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
> campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
> was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

Mr. Peanut

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<ua753s$363b5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5018&group=rec.games.trivia#5018

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:08:57 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 02:08 UTC

On 7/30/23 15:46, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners
>
> Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
> in Major League baseball.
>
> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1889

> For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
> All of them have won the award more than once each.
>
> 2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
> Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

Don Drysdale

> 3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
> "Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
> '70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
>
> 4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
> the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.
>
> 5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
> He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
> two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
> the Astros.
>
> 6. Other than <answer 5>, the only Blue Jay with multiple Cy Young
> wins is this man, who won as a Jay in 2003 and as a Philly
> in 2010. He died in a plane crash in 2017.
>
> 7. The only Montreal Expo to win the Cy Young was this pitcher, who
> did it in 1997. He added two more awards playing for the
> Red Sox.
>
> 8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
> the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
> Diamondbacks.

Randy Johnson

> 9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
> Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
> following 3 years as a Brave.
>
> 10. Despite a career plagued by injuries, this New York Met managed
> to win the Cy Young in 2018 and 2019.
>

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo
>
> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.
>
> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)
>
> 1. Peter Gabriel.
> 2. Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J.
> 3. Shakira.
> 4. The Who.
> 5. Duran Duran.
> 6. Culture Club.
> 7. Led Zeppelin.
> 8. Heart.
> 9. The Trashmen.
> 10. Meat Loaf.
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots
>
> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

McGruff

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

Charlie the Tuna

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

The Michelin Man

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

Moneybags

> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

Spuds McKenzie

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`

Poppin' Fresh

> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.
>
> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

Clippy

> 9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
> can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
> product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.
>
> 10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
> been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
> his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
> campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
> was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

Mr Peanut

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<ua79nb$1sv$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5019&group=rec.games.trivia#5019

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 03:27:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 03:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners

> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1890

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo

> 1. Peter Gabriel.

Shock the Monkey

> 6. Culture Club.

Karma Chameleon

> 10. Meat Loaf.

Bat Out of Hell

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots

> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

McGruff

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

Charlie

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

Michelin Man

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

Mr. Monopoly

> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

Spuds McKenzie

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`

Poppin' Fresh

> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.

Luxo Jr.

> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

Clippy

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<XnsB05268106E759Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5020&group=rec.games.trivia#5020

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:13:47 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:13 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo
>
> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.
>
> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)
>
> 1. Peter Gabriel.

Shock the Monkey

> 8. Heart.

Barracuda

One of my favourites!

> 10. Meat Loaf.

Bat out of Hell

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots
>
> 9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
> can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
> product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.

Kornelis

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<2c047b40-0d81-445a-be63-b1507030e1c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5022&group=rec.games.trivia#5022

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 01:58 UTC

On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 6:46:53 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners
>
> Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
> in Major League baseball.
>
> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1908
> For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
> All of them have won the award more than once each.
>
> 2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
> Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

sandy koufax

> 3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
> "Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
> '70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

tom seaver

> 4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
> the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.

jim palmer

> 5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
> He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
> two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
> the Astros.

roger clemons

> 6. Other than <answer 5>, the only Blue Jay with multiple Cy Young
> wins is this man, who won as a Jay in 2003 and as a Philly
> in 2010. He died in a plane crash in 2017.

roy halladay

> 7. The only Montreal Expo to win the Cy Young was this pitcher, who
> did it in 1997. He added two more awards playing for the
> Red Sox.

pedro martinez

> 8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
> the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
> Diamondbacks.

randy johnson

> 9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
> Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
> following 3 years as a Brave.

greg maddux

> 10. Despite a career plagued by injuries, this New York Met managed
> to win the Cy Young in 2018 and 2019.

jacob degrom

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo
>
> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.
>
> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the original game; if so, I will accept them.)
>
> 1. Peter Gabriel.

kiss that frog ; shock the monkey

> 2. Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J.

dark horse

> 3. Shakira.

she wolf ; poem to a horse

> 4. The Who.

boris the spider ; the ox

> 5. Duran Duran.

hungry like the wolf

> 6. Culture Club.

karma chameleon

> 7. Led Zeppelin.

black dog

> 8. Heart.

barracuda

> 9. The Trashmen.

surfin' bird

> 10. Meat Loaf.

bat out of hell

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots
>
> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

mcgruff the crime dog

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

charlie tuna

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

the michelin man

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

mr monopoly

> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

spudz mckenzie

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`

poppin' fresh

> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.

luxo jr

> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

clippy

> 9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
> can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
> product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.

cornelius

> 10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
> been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
> his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
> campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
> was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

mr peanut

> --
> Mark Brader "How many pessimists end up by desiring
> Toronto the things they fear, in order to prove
> m...@vex.net that they are right." -- Robert Mallet
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<uacq8n$3vcgh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5023&group=rec.games.trivia#5023

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 00:40:38 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 05:40 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners
>
> Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
> in Major League baseball.
>
> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1900

> For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
> All of them have won the award more than once each.
>
> 2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
> Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

Sandy Koufax

> 3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
> "Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
> '70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Tom Seaver

> 4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
> the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.

Jim Palmer

> 5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
> He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
> two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
> the Astros.

Roger Clemens

> 6. Other than <answer 5>, the only Blue Jay with multiple Cy Young
> wins is this man, who won as a Jay in 2003 and as a Philly
> in 2010. He died in a plane crash in 2017.

Roy Halladay

> 7. The only Montreal Expo to win the Cy Young was this pitcher, who
> did it in 1997. He added two more awards playing for the
> Red Sox.

Martinez

> 8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
> the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
> Diamondbacks.

Randy Johnson

> 9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
> Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
> following 3 years as a Brave.

Greg Maddux

> 10. Despite a career plagued by injuries, this New York Met managed
> to win the Cy Young in 2018 and 2019.
>

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo
>
> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.
>
> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)
>
> 1. Peter Gabriel.
> 2. Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J.
> 3. Shakira.
> 4. The Who.

Boris the Spider

> 5. Duran Duran.
> 6. Culture Club.
> 7. Led Zeppelin.
> 8. Heart.
> 9. The Trashmen.

Surfin Bird

> 10. Meat Loaf.
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots
>
> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

Gruff

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

Charlie the Tuna

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

The Michelin Man

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?
>
> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

Spud McKenzie

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`
>
> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.
>
> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

Clippy

> 9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
> can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
> product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.
>
> 10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
> been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
> his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
> campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
> was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

Mr. Peanut

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6 answers: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots

<7KmcnWCH1IBD6Fb5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5024&group=rec.games.trivia#5024

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 4-6 answers: Cy Youngs, animal songs, mascots
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 09:39:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:39 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports - Cy Young Winners

> Since 1956, the Cy Young award has recognized the best pitchers
> in Major League baseball.

> 1. The award is named after legendary pitcher Cy Young. Name *any
> year* when Cy Young played professionally, between his debut
> with the Cleveland Spiders and his retirement from the Boston
> Rustlers.

1890-1911. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> For questions #2-10, in each case name the pitcher described.
> All of them have won the award more than once each.

> 2. The first man to win multiple Cy Youngs was this Los Angeles
> Dodger, who won three times between 1963 and 1966.

Sandy Koufax. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

Don Drysdale did win a Cy Young award with the Dodgers, but only once,
in 1962.

> 3. Nicknamed "the Franchise", this man won his first Cy Young in the
> "Miracle" Mets' season of 1969, adding two more in the early
> '70s. He is one of only two Mets in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Tom Seaver. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 4. Also famous as an underwear model, this Baltimore Oriole won
> the Cy Young three times in the mid-Seventies.

Jim Palmer. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 5. The man with the most Cy Young awards is this man, with 7.
> He won his first three with the Red Sox starting in 1986, then
> two with the Blue Jays, one with the Yankees, and one with
> the Astros.

Roger Clemens. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 6. Other than <answer 5>, the only Blue Jay with multiple Cy Young
> wins is this man, who won as a Jay in 2003 and as a Philly
> in 2010. He died in a plane crash in 2017.

Roy Halladay. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 7. The only Montreal Expo to win the Cy Young was this pitcher, who
> did it in 1997. He added two more awards playing for the
> Red Sox.

Pedro Martinez. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 8. Nicknamed "the Big Unit", this 6'10" pitcher won in 1995 for
> the Mariners and then 4 consecutive years (1999-2002) for the
> Diamondbacks.

Randy Johnson. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Other than <answer 8>, the only pitcher to win 4 consecutive Cy
> Youngs is this man. He won as a Cub in 1992 and then the
> following 3 years as a Brave.

Greg Maddux. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 10. Despite a career plagued by injuries, this New York Met managed
> to win the Cy Young in 2018 and 2019.

Jacob deGrom. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - At The Zoo

> Yes, here's another audio round without the audio.

> The audio round is about songs with animals in the titles. In the
> original game you would have been played a clip; here I'll just
> name the singer or group. In all cases, please name the song.
> (With this change, there may be additional answers for some artists
> besides the ones in the originsl game; if so, I will accept them.)

> 1. Peter Gabriel.

Original answer: "Shock the Monkey". Also correct: "Kiss That Frog".
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Stephen (the hard way).

> 2. Katy Perry, featuring Juicy J.

"Dark Horse". 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Shakira.

Original answer: "She Wolf". Also correct: "Poem to a Horse".
4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 4. The Who.

Original answer: "Boris the Spider". Also correct: "The Ox".
4 for Joshua, Stephen (the hard way), and Pete.

> 5. Duran Duran.

Original answers: "Union of the Snake", "Hungry like the Wolf".
4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. Culture Club.

"Karma Chameleon". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7. Led Zeppelin.

"Black Dog". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. Heart.

"Barracuda". 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 9. The Trashmen.

"Surfin Bird". (Not "Bird is the Word", which is a repeated lyric
in it.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 10. Meat Loaf.

"Bat out of Hell". 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Stephen.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Corporate Advertising Mascots

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Introduced in 1980 for the purpose of increasing crime awareness
> and personal safety, name the animated bloodhound who wanted
> you to help "Take a bite out of crime".

McGruff (the Crime Dog). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 2. Identify the beret-wearing hipster character introduced in 1961
> as the spokesman for the StarKist brand of products. He thinks
> he's the perfect catch, but he always ends up getting rejected.

Charlie (the Tuna). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Pete.

> 3. Introduced in 1894 by two French brothers as the official mascot
> for their company and given the name Bibendum, what is the name
> by which he is commonly referred to in English? Bibendum's
> appearance is that of a man made up of a white stack of the
> product that the brothers were famous for producing.

Michelin (Tire) man. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Pete.

His real name comes from this poster ad:

http://media.mutualart.com/Images/2019_04/12/21/213421547/78e0a265-62d4-4588-ad0b-c9b38ffe5a6e.Jpeg

"Nunc est bibendum", at the top, is Latin for "now it's time to
drink", and the French words at the bottom mean "To your health!" and
"The Michelin tire drinks obstacles" (such as the broken glass and
other sharp objects in the glass he's toasting with). He's seated
between Brand X and Brand Y tires.

Note incidentally that he's smoking a cigar and wearing a monocle
and a pinky ring. Most car tires don't do that.

Also note that the table is set with tire-repair equipment such
as glue, levers, valve parts, and an air pump. I thought the idea
might be that the Michelin tire won't be needing those, but in that
case why is the line about drinking obstacles repeated on the pump?

> 4. Rich Uncle Pennybags is his official name, but in large parts
> of the world this board-game mascot is better known by what name?

Mr. Monopoly or the Monopoly man. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 5. Name this "original party animal" who first appeared in 1987
> as a mascot for Annheuser-Busch. This mascot was retired in
> 1989, partly due to public outcry, but also possibly because the
> mascot had begun to overshadow the actual product being sold.
> The original portrayer of the mascot died shortly thereafter
> in 1993. Name this mascot.

Spuds Mackenzie. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Pete.

The time probably didn't seem as short to the dog

> 6. What is the official name of the mascot widely known as the
> Pillsbury Doughboy?`

Poppin' Fresh. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7. Name the small animated lamp that is the official mascot of
> Pixar Animation Studios. He shares his name with the 1996 Oscar-
> nominated animated short that is widely seen as a breakthrough
> in computer animation.

Luxo Jr. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?"
> is what this default Microsoft Office Assistant might annoyingly
> ask you. What is this character's actual name?

Clippit (accepting Clippy or Paperclip). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Introduced in 1957, this red-headed breakfast cereal mascot
> can't crow in the morning without first having a bowl of the
> product that he represents. Name this Kellogg's brand mascot.

Cornelius ("Corny" Rooster). 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 10. His full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe and he's
> been the mascot for his signature product since 1916. He faked
> his death in January 2020 as part of a Super-Bowl-related ad
> campaign. Fortunately a baby version of the same character
> was reborn from the soil. By what name is he best known?

Mr. Peanut. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Spo Aud Mis THREE
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 120