You are not dead yet. But watch for further reports.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: celeb relatives, animal challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeswp
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challengeDan Blum
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: celeb relatives, animal challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<9--dnRZJv9GBH035nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5033&group=rec.games.trivia#5033

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 05:33:16 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 05:33 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives

1. What long-deceased legendary music and film star is the
grandfather of actress Riley Keough, who plays a talented
singer/songwriter in "Daisy Jones & the Six"?

2. Maya Rudolph, multitalented former "Saturday Night Live" star,
may have inherited some of her vocal chops from her late mother,
who hit #1 in 1975 with "Lovin' You". Name Maya Rudolph's
mother.

3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
Zoe's mother or grandmother.

4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
grandmother or mother

5. Name the mother of Rashida Jones. Famous for her appearance on
"The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she had a
career revival when she appeared in the '90s on "Twin Peaks".

6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
"Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.

8. The late Natasha Richardson was descended from a prominent
British acting family. Name her mother, a star of stage and
screen and winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her
role in "Julia" (1977).

9. Mariska Hargitay has been a fixture of prime-time TV for
nearly 25 years. Name her famous mother -- an actress, singer,
and Playboy Playmate who died in a car accident in June 1967.

10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?

Twelve questions about animals.

* A. Geography

A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
country?

A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

* B. Art

B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
subject matter? (Species and activity.)

* C. History

C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
What was the lion's name?

* D. Science

D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
her name?

* E. Sports

E1. The Florida Panthers just lost the Stanley Cup Finals.
They have two mascots -- a panther and a rat. One name is a
nod to the NHL, the other is a nod to the Panthers' history.
Give us the name of *either* mascot.

E2. The Vegas Golden Knights just won the Stanley Cup Finals.
They also have an animal mascot. Give us *either* the name
or what specific kind of animal their mascot is.

* F. Movies

F1. What's the name of Harry Potter's snowy owl in the Harry
Potter franchise?

F2. What's the name of Dr. Evil's hairless cat in the Austin
Powers franchise?

--
Mark Brader | "Europe contains a great many cathedrals, which were
Toronto | caused by the Middle Ages, which means they are very old,
| -- Dave Barry

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<XnsB059E7951E3DFYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5034&group=rec.games.trivia#5034

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 22:45:55 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:45 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives
>
> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

Ingrid Bergman
> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?
>
> Twelve questions about animals.
>
> * A. Geography
>
> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

Taiwan
> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

Madagaskar

> * C. History
>
> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

Wallaby
> * D. Science
>
> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

Dolly
> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

Laika

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<03f9e22f-425b-42e4-9517-d1ad9c5350c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5035&group=rec.games.trivia#5035

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 15:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 22:13 UTC

On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 1:33:28 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives
>
> 1. What long-deceased legendary music and film star is the
> grandfather of actress Riley Keough, who plays a talented
> singer/songwriter in "Daisy Jones & the Six"?

elvis presley

> 2. Maya Rudolph, multitalented former "Saturday Night Live" star,
> may have inherited some of her vocal chops from her late mother,
> who hit #1 in 1975 with "Lovin' You". Name Maya Rudolph's
> mother.

minnie riperton

> 3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
> known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
> on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
> Zoe's mother or grandmother.

lisa bonet

> 4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
> Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
> woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
> grandmother or mother

melanie griffith

> 5. Name the mother of Rashida Jones. Famous for her appearance on
> "The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she had a
> career revival when she appeared in the '90s on "Twin Peaks".

peg lipton

> 6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
> musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
> influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

ravi shankar?

> 7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
> "Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
> for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
> comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
> to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.

david bowie

> 8. The late Natasha Richardson was descended from a prominent
> British acting family. Name her mother, a star of stage and
> screen and winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role in "Julia" (1977).

vanessa redgrave?

> 9. Mariska Hargitay has been a fixture of prime-time TV for
> nearly 25 years. Name her famous mother -- an actress, singer,
> and Playboy Playmate who died in a car accident in June 1967.

jane mansfield

> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

ingrid bergman

.... those additional clues in each question were very helpful

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?
>
> Twelve questions about animals.
>
> * A. Geography
>
> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

taiwan

> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

madigascar

> * B. Art
>
> B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
> a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
> in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
> Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
> BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

garfield

> B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
> a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
> subject matter? (Species and activity.)

dogs playing poker

> * C. History
>
> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

emu?

> C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
> public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
> is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
> What was the lion's name?

elsa

> * D. Science
>
> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

dolly

> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

laika

> * E. Sports
>
> E1. The Florida Panthers just lost the Stanley Cup Finals.
> They have two mascots -- a panther and a rat. One name is a
> nod to the NHL, the other is a nod to the Panthers' history.
> Give us the name of *either* mascot.

stanley c panther

> E2. The Vegas Golden Knights just won the Stanley Cup Finals.
> They also have an animal mascot. Give us *either* the name
> or what specific kind of animal their mascot is.

gila monster [because its less scary to kids. no, seriously.]

> * F. Movies
>
> F1. What's the name of Harry Potter's snowy owl in the Harry
> Potter franchise?

hedwig

> F2. What's the name of Dr. Evil's hairless cat in the Austin
> Powers franchise?

mr bigglesworth

> --
> Mark Brader | "Europe contains a great many cathedrals, which were
> Toronto | caused by the Middle Ages, which means they are very old,
> m...@vex.net | so you have to take color slide photographs of them."
> | -- Dave Barry
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<ec7ef8bf-b29c-48f0-961e-f90af1f2e859n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5036&group=rec.games.trivia#5036

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 23:50 UTC

On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 12:33:28 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives
>
> 1. What long-deceased legendary music and film star is the
> grandfather of actress Riley Keough, who plays a talented
> singer/songwriter in "Daisy Jones & the Six"?

Elvis Presley

> 2. Maya Rudolph, multitalented former "Saturday Night Live" star,
> may have inherited some of her vocal chops from her late mother,
> who hit #1 in 1975 with "Lovin' You". Name Maya Rudolph's
> mother.

Minnie Riperton

> 3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
> known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
> on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
> Zoe's mother or grandmother.

Lisa Bonet

> 4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
> Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
> woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
> grandmother or mother

Melanie Griffith

> 5. Name the mother of Rashida Jones. Famous for her appearance on
> "The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she had a
> career revival when she appeared in the '90s on "Twin Peaks".

Peggy Lipton

> 6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
> musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
> influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

Ravi Shankar

> 7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
> "Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
> for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
> comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
> to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.

David Bowie

> 8. The late Natasha Richardson was descended from a prominent
> British acting family. Name her mother, a star of stage and
> screen and winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role in "Julia" (1977).

Vanessa Redgrave

> 9. Mariska Hargitay has been a fixture of prime-time TV for
> nearly 25 years. Name her famous mother -- an actress, singer,
> and Playboy Playmate who died in a car accident in June 1967.

Jayne Mansfield

> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

Ingrid Bergman

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?
>
> * A. Geography
>
> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

Taiwan

> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

Madagascar

> * B. Art
>
> B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
> a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
> in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
> Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
> BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

Garfield

> B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
> a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
> subject matter? (Species and activity.)

dogs playing poker

> * C. History
>
> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

emu

> C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
> public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
> is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
> What was the lion's name?

Elsa

> * D. Science
>
> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

Dolly

> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

Laika

> * F. Movies
>
> F1. What's the name of Harry Potter's snowy owl in the Harry
> Potter franchise?

Hedwig
> F2. What's the name of Dr. Evil's hairless cat in the Austin
> Powers franchise?

Mr. Bigglesworth

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<uas085$32bgg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5037&group=rec.games.trivia#5037

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 16:54:44 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 23:54 UTC

On 8/6/23 22:33, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives
>
> 1. What long-deceased legendary music and film star is the
> grandfather of actress Riley Keough, who plays a talented
> singer/songwriter in "Daisy Jones & the Six"?
>
> 2. Maya Rudolph, multitalented former "Saturday Night Live" star,
> may have inherited some of her vocal chops from her late mother,
> who hit #1 in 1975 with "Lovin' You". Name Maya Rudolph's
> mother.
>
> 3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
> known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
> on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
> Zoe's mother or grandmother.
>
> 4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
> Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
> woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
> grandmother or mother
>
> 5. Name the mother of Rashida Jones. Famous for her appearance on
> "The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she had a
> career revival when she appeared in the '90s on "Twin Peaks".
>
> 6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
> musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
> influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

John Paul Jones

> 7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
> "Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
> for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
> comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
> to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.
>
> 8. The late Natasha Richardson was descended from a prominent
> British acting family. Name her mother, a star of stage and
> screen and winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role in "Julia" (1977).
>
> 9. Mariska Hargitay has been a fixture of prime-time TV for
> nearly 25 years. Name her famous mother -- an actress, singer,
> and Playboy Playmate who died in a car accident in June 1967.
>
> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?
>
> Twelve questions about animals.
>
> * A. Geography
>
> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

Taiwan

> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

Madagascar

> * B. Art
>
> B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
> a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
> in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
> Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
> BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

Garfield

> B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
> a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
> subject matter? (Species and activity.)
>

> * C. History
>
> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

emu

> C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
> public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
> is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
> What was the lion's name?
>

> * D. Science
>
> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

Dolly

> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

Laika

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<uas9le$ktg$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5038&group=rec.games.trivia#5038

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 02:35:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 02:35 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives

> 3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
> known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
> on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
> Zoe's mother or grandmother.

Lisa Bonet

> 4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
> Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
> woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
> grandmother or mother

Eva Marie Saint

> 6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
> musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
> influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

Ravi Shankar

> 7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
> "Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
> for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
> comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
> to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.

David Bowie

> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

Ingrid Bergman

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?

> Twelve questions about animals.

> * A. Geography

> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

Taiwan

> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

Magagascar

> * B. Art

> B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
> a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
> in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
> Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
> BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

Garfield

> B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
> a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
> subject matter? (Species and activity.)

dogs playing poker

> * C. History

> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

emus

> C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
> public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
> is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
> What was the lion's name?

Elsa

> * D. Science

> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

Dolly

> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

Laika

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: celeb relatives, animal challenge

<FN2cnRZozbStzUj5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5039&group=rec.games.trivia#5039

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: celeb relatives, animal challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 21:01:36 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 21:01 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-19,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
Game 6 is over and the winner is STEPHEN PERRY. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - Celebrity Relatives

> 1. What long-deceased legendary music and film star is the
> grandfather of actress Riley Keough, who plays a talented
> singer/songwriter in "Daisy Jones & the Six"?

Elvis Presley. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

She is the daughter of Lisa Marie Presley.

> 2. Maya Rudolph, multitalented former "Saturday Night Live" star,
> may have inherited some of her vocal chops from her late mother,
> who hit #1 in 1975 with "Lovin' You". Name Maya Rudolph's
> mother.

Minnie Riperton. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

Feel free to sing a few bars: "La la la la la, La la la la la,
La la la la la, La la la la la, do do do do do, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

> 3. Both of actress Zoe Kravitz's mother and grandmother are best
> known for their supporting roles on hit TV comedies focusing
> on African-American life in New York City. Name *either*
> Zoe's mother or grandmother.

Lisa Bonet ("The Cosby Show"),Roxie Roker ("The Jeffersons").
4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Dakota Johnson's grandmother played a mysterious woman in an
> Alfred Hitchcock movie, while Dakota's mother played a mysterious
> woman in a Brian de Palma movie. Again, name either Dakota's
> grandmother or mother

Tippi Hedren ("Marnie"), Melanie Griffith ("Body Double").
4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 5. Name the mother of Rashida Jones. Famous for her appearance on
> "The Mod Squad" in the late 1960s and early 1970s, she had a
> career revival when she appeared in the '90s on "Twin Peaks".

Peggy Lipton. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Stephen.

> 6. Grammy-winning musician Norah Jones is the daughter of what
> musician who rose to global fame in the 1960s due to his
> influence on popular music, most notably the Beatles?

Ravi Shankar. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 7. Director Duncan Jones won acclaim for his debut sci-fi movie
> "Moon". This space setting would have been an appropriate one
> for his musician father, who changed his name in 1966 to avoid
> comparisons to another British musician who would later go on
> to be a member of the Monkees. Name the father of Duncan Jones.

David Bowie. (Real name David Jones.) 4 for Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Blum.

> 8. The late Natasha Richardson was descended from a prominent
> British acting family. Name her mother, a star of stage and
> screen and winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role in "Julia" (1977).

Vanessa Redgrave. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 9. Mariska Hargitay has been a fixture of prime-time TV for
> nearly 25 years. Name her famous mother -- an actress, singer,
> and Playboy Playmate who died in a car accident in June 1967.

Jayne Mansfield. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 10. Name the mother of Isabella Rossellini. She was one of the
> most influential actresses of the 20th century, with a 50-year
> acting career, three Academy Awards, and two Emmys, including
> one for her final performance as Golda Meir.

Ingrid Bergman. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - We're STILL at the Zoo?

> Twelve questions about animals.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * A. Geography

> A1. Formosan rock macaques can only be found in what island
> country?

Taiwan. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> A2. Lemurs can only be found in what island country?

Madagascar. 4 for everyone.

> * B. Art

> B1. Dan Walsh created a webcomic that is an edit of
> a long-running comic strip, removing the title character,
> in to quote "reveal the existential angst of a certain young
> Mr. Jon Arbuckle". The webcomic is called "BLANK Minus
> BLANK", where BLANK is the character removed. Who is it?

Garfield. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

See e.g.: http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/post/175121871977/worthwhile

> B2. Cassius Marcellus Coolidge is best known for creating
> a series of now-kitschy paintings that depict what specific
> subject matter? (Species and activity.)

Dogs playing poker. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

See e.g.: http://artsy-media-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/phSxLtPuOSPsnJF0obkh5A/A_Friend_in_Need_1903_C.M.Coolidge.jpg
(and look at the rear paw at the bottom).

> * C. History

> C1. In 1932, public concern over destruction of crops in
> the wheat belt of Western Australia led to a nuisance-
> wildlife-management military operation against what animal?

Emu. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> C2. Credited with promoting wildlife conservation to the general
> public, the 1960 book -- and subsequent movie -- "Born Free"
> is an account of a couple who adopted and raised a lion cub.
> What was the lion's name?

Elsa. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> * D. Science

> D1. In July 1996, a sheep was the first mammal to be cloned
> from an adult somatic cell. What was her name?

Dolly. 4 for everyone.

> D2. In November 1957, a Russian dog was the first animal to
> orbit the Earth. Sadly, she died in orbit. What was
> her name?

Laika. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Sports

> E1. The Florida Panthers just lost the Stanley Cup Finals.
> They have two mascots -- a panther and a rat. One name is a
> nod to the NHL, the other is a nod to the Panthers' history.
> Give us the name of *either* mascot.

Stanley (C. Panther), or Viktor (E. Rat). 4 for Stephen.

> E2. The Vegas Golden Knights just won the Stanley Cup Finals.
> They also have an animal mascot. Give us *either* the name
> or what specific kind of animal their mascot is.

Chance the Gila Monster. 4 for Stephen.

> * F. Movies

> F1. What's the name of Harry Potter's snowy owl in the Harry
> Potter franchise?

Hedwig. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> F2. What's the name of Dr. Evil's hairless cat in the Austin
> Powers franchise?

Mr. Bigglesworth. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Spo Aud Mis Can Lit Ent Cha SEVEN
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 31 40 39 48 278
Joshua Kreitzer 40 40 28 28 32 19 40 40 40 260
Dan Blum 36 40 4 12 32 4 36 16 32 204
Dan Tilque 40 24 4 0 28 4 40 0 24 164
Pete Gayde 28 8 36 8 23 0 24 -- -- 127
Erland Sommarskog 40 4 0 12 4 0 16 4 16 96

--
Mark Brader | Obviously an off by 1 error somewhere. You know
Toronto | the kind, where you intend to put something simple