To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. -- Elbert Hubbard

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: team nicknames, new artists

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsswp
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artistsPete Gayde
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: team nicknames, new artistsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<45icnfZsdONFGUD5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5053&group=rec.games.trivia#5053

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:24:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:24 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames

The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
part in the Cup.

1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
All-Whites. What country?

2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
jerseys. What is it?

3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
Jbeyq Phc.

4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
"Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".

5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
Portuguese or English.

8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
their jerseys?

9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
"Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
or English.

10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
What country?

* Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist

We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
the artist (singer or group).

1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".

2. Winner in 2018, born in Mississauga. Songs:". "Here", "Stay",
"Scars to Your Beautiful".

3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
Under", "Overkill".

5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".

6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
Now", "Cold Heart".

7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
"Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".

8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
"Give Me One Reason".

9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
"The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

--
Mark Brader | "Howeb45 9 qad no5 und8ly diturvrd v7 7jis dince
Toronto | 9 qas 8mtillihemt mot ikkfavpur4d 5esoyrdeful

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<d29e530d-1b9e-4e7b-857b-50ac806c3d5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5054&group=rec.games.trivia#5054

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:29 UTC

On Wednesday, August 16, 2023 at 9:24:36 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.
>
> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand; Australia

> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

Lionesses

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
> gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
> Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
> Jbeyq Phc.

Morocco

> 4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
> Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
> "Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".

China

> 5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
> gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
> genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

Matildas

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

The Blues

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.

Canadiennes
> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

Guatemala

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist
>
> We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
> some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
> the artist (singer or group).
>
> 1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".

Starland Vocal Band

> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

Adele

> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

Men at Work

> 5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".

Olivia Rodrigo

> 6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
> Now", "Cold Heart".

Dua Lipa

> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".

Maroon 5

> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

Tracy Chapman

> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

Sade

> 10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
> Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

Sheryl Crow

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<ubkem8$3m9cf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5055&group=rec.games.trivia#5055

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 23:28:22 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 06:28 UTC

On 8/16/23 19:24, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.
>
> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand

> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

Lionesses

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
> gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
> Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
> Jbeyq Phc.

Morocco

> 4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
> Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
> "Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".
>
> 5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
> gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
> genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

Matildas

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?
>
> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.
>
> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

Argentina

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.
>
> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist
>
> We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
> some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
> the artist (singer or group).
>
> 1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".
>
> 2. Winner in 2018, born in Mississauga. Songs:". "Here", "Stay",
> "Scars to Your Beautiful".
>
> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".
>
> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".
>
> 5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".
>
> 6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
> Now", "Cold Heart".
>
> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".
>
> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

Tracy Chapman

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<XnsB063D383EEE81Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5056&group=rec.games.trivia#5056

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:47:34 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:47 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.
>
> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand
> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

The lionesses
> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
> gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
> Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
> Jbeyq Phc.

Morrocco

> 4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
> Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
> "Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".

China
> 5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
> gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
> genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

Waltzing Maltida

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

The blue ones
> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.

The Canaries

> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

Argentina

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.

Red and Whites

> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

Colombia

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist
>
> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

Men at Work
> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

Bryan Adams

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<ubmahd$m59$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5057&group=rec.games.trivia#5057

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:29 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames

> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
> gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
> Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
> Jbeyq Phc.

Morocco; Tunisia

> 4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
> Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
> "Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".

Bhutan

> 5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
> gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
> genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

Matildas

> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Sele??o
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.

crows

> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

Belgium; Luxembourg

> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

Colombia

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist

> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

Adele

> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

Men At Work

> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".

Ke$ha

> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

Tracy Chapman

> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

Sade

> 10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
> Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

Sixpence None the Richer

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<fd945e03-a8b2-4d27-adfa-99361ab705f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5058&group=rec.games.trivia#5058

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:29:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:29 UTC

On Wednesday, August 16, 2023 at 10:24:36 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-26,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.
>
> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

new zealand

> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

lionesses

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> have finished with #1-2. This country's Atlas Lionesses gets
> their name from the mountains which cover much of their country.
> They are the first Arabic team to qualify for the Women's
> World Cup.

morocco

> 4. This country's men's team is known as "The Dragon Team".
> Rather than being dragonesses, the women ended up being called
> "The Steel Roses".

china

> 5. The other hosting nation is Australia. Their men's team are
> the Socceroos, but the women's team gets what nickname from a
> traditional Australian song?

waltzing matilda

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

the blues

> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.

the canaries

> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

argentina

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.

no official nickname [at least, that's what the fans were chanting]

> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

colombia

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist
>
> We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
> some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
> the artist (singer or group).
>
> 1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".

starland vocal band [this song has been used to torture people, or do I've heard]

> 2. Winner in 2018, born in Mississauga. Songs:". "Here", "Stay",
> "Scars to Your Beautiful".

alessia cara

> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

adele

> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

men at work

> 5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".

olivia rodrigo

> 6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
> Now", "Cold Heart".

dua lipa

> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".

maroon 5

> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

tracy chapman

> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

sade

> 10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
> Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

sheryl crow

> --
> Mark Brader | "Howeb45 9 qad no5 und8ly diturvrd v7 7jis dince
> Toronto | 9 qas 8mtillihemt mot ikkfavpur4d 5esoyrdeful
> m...@vex.net | abd fill if condif3nce on myd3lf." -- Cica
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who loves them all

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: team nicknames, new artists

<ubmbbn$3utc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5059&group=rec.games.trivia#5059

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:43:50 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:43 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-26,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.
>
> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand

> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

Lionesses

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. Guvf pbhagel'f Ngynf Yvbarffrf trgf
> gurve anzr sebz gur zbhagnvaf juvpu pbire zhpu bs gurve pbhagel.
> Gurl ner gur svefg Nenovp grnz gb dhnyvsl sbe gur Jbzra'f
> Jbeyq Phc.

Morocco

> 4. Guvf pbhagel'f zra'f grnz vf xabja nf "Gur Qentba Grnz".
> Engure guna orvat qentbarffrf, gur jbzra raqrq hc orvat pnyyrq
> "Gur Fgrry Ebfrf".

Japan

> 5. Gur bgure ubfgvat angvba vf Nhfgenyvn. Gurve zra'f grnz ner
> gur Fbpprebbf, ohg gur jbzra'f grnz trgf jung avpxanzr sebz n
> genqvgvbany Nhfgenyvna fbat?

Matildas

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

The Blues

> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.

Canaries

> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

Argentina

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.
>
> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

Colombia

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist
>
> We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
> some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
> the artist (singer or group).
>
> 1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".
>
> 2. Winner in 2018, born in Mississauga. Songs:". "Here", "Stay",
> "Scars to Your Beautiful".
>
> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

Adele

> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

Men with Hats

> 5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".
>
> 6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
> Now", "Cold Heart".
>
> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".
>
> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

Tracy Chapman

> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".
>
> 10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
> Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: team nicknames, new artists

<Zr2cncOJ4chLPnz5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5060&group=rec.games.trivia#5060

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: team nicknames, new artists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 05:25:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 05:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-06-26,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Women's World Cup Team Nicknames

> The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in July.
> Answer these questions about the nicknames of teams taking
> part in the Cup.

> 1. This country is co-hosting this year's event. Their women's
> team is known as the Fighting Ferns while their men are the
> All-Whites. What country?

New Zealand. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

> 2. The nickname for the English women's team is the female version
> of the men's nickname, derived from the coat-of-arms on their
> jerseys. What is it?

Lionesses. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 3. Please decode the rot13 for questions #3-5 only after you
> hsve finished with #1-2. This country's Atlas Lionesses gets
> their name from the mountains which cover much of their country.
> They are the first Arabic team to qualify for the Women's
> World Cup.

Morocco. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. This country's men's team is known as "The Dragon Team".
> Rather than being dragonesses, the women ended up being called
> "The Steel Roses".

China. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 5. The other hosting nation is Australia. Their men's team are
> the Socceroos, but the women's team gets what nickname from a
> traditional Australian song?

Matildas. No points for just naming the song. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 6. France and Italy are both European soccer superpowers, and when
> their teams' nickname are translated into English, they come
> out the same. What is this shared nickname, in English?

The Blues. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Erland.

> 7. The Brazilian team (both men and women) is usually called Seleção
> ("Selection"). However, they are also referred to by which
> avian nickname, from the color of their jerseys? Answer in
> Portuguese or English.

As Canarinhas (the Canaries). 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 8. Which country's men's and women's teams are both known as Les
> Albicelestes (The White & Sky-Blues), after the colors of
> their jerseys?

Argentina. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Various nicknames have been tried out for the Canadian team, but
> "Canucks", "Maple Leafs" and "Voyageurs" never really caught on.
> The most commonly used nickname is this unimaginative one.
> For some reason, it is usually in French. Name it in French
> or English.

Les Rouges (the Reds).

> 10. For some reason, this country's women's team is called Las
> Chicas Superpoderosas ("the Powerpuff Girls"). More sensibly,
> they are also known as Las Cafeteras ("the Coffee Growers").
> What country?

Colombia. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Best New Artist

> We'll give you the year they won the Grammy for Best New Artist,
> some of their song titles (possibly for later works); you tell us
> the artist (singer or group).

> 1. Winner in 1977, a group. Song: "Afternoon Delight".

Starland Vocal Band. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. Winner in 2018, born in Mississauga. Songs: "Here", "Stay",
> "Scars to Your Beautiful".

Alessia Cara. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Winner in 2009. Songs: "Chasing Pavements", "Rolling in the
> Deep", "Hello", "Skyfall".

Adele. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 4. Winner in 1983, a group. Songs: "Who Can it be Now", "Down
> Under", "Overkill".

Men at Work. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. Winner in 2022. Songs: "Driver's License", "Deja Vu", "Good 4 U".

Olivia Rodrigo. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. Winner in 2019. Songs: "New Rules", "Levitating", "Don't Start
> Now", "Cold Heart".

Dua Lipa. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. Winner in 2005. Songs: "She will be Loved", "This Love",
> "Moves like Jagger", "Girls like You".

Maroon 5. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. Winner in 1989. Songs: "Fast Car", "Talkin 'bout a Revolution",
> "Give Me One Reason".

Tracy Chapman. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Winner in 1986. Songs: "Smooth Operator", "Your Love is King",
> "The Sweetest Taboo", "Hang on to Your Love".

Sade. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. Winner in 1995. Songs: "All I Wanna Do", "If It Makes You
> Happy", "Soak Up the Sun".

Sheryl Crow. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Art His Sci Geo Spo Ent FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- 32 40 152
Joshua Kreitzer 28 32 16 30 23 36 126
Erland Sommarskog 8 24 20 32 31 4 107
Dan Tilque 8 24 32 23 20 4 99
Dan Blum 24 24 20 30 15 16 98
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 32 8 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ah, determinism (likewise, forgetfulness) reigns."
msb@vex.net | --Steve Summit