Scintillation is not always identification for an auric substance.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyMark Brader
+* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyErland Sommarskog
|`* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyMark Brader
| `- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyPete Gayde
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royaltyswp
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: graphic novels and royaltyMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<MIydnXs-ndoVYXv5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5069&group=rec.games.trivia#5069

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 06:45:28 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 06:45 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books

1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
'50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
for creative achievement in comics.

2. Name the Canadian cartoonist famous for her webcomic "Hark! A
Vagrant" and for her memoir "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands",
which became the first graphic work to win Canada Reads in 2023.

3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.

4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
"Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
for which he doesn't own all the rights.

5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
Persian Empire.

6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.

7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
"Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".

8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
"Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
the Endless"?

9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
a test that measures the representation of women in film and
other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
Watch Out For" comic strip.

10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
culture to this day even though both men have died.

* Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty

This round is flush with royals, so to speak.

1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
William IV and Victoria, 1837.

2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

3. George II and George III, 1760.

4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
at the end of it? Name and number required.

6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
-- to what?

8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
who was the first monarch to live there?

9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
never had.

--
Mark Brader | "Are you coming to bed?"
Toronto | "I can't. This is important... Someone is WRONG on the Internet."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<XnsB06AD5A1E9664Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5070&group=rec.games.trivia#5070

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:00:03 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:00 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty
>
> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.
>
> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

Uncle and niece

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

Brothers
> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

Father and son?

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

Sisters

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Charles I
> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

At least the closest ones were catholics.
> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor
> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?

George III
> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1936

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.
ID card

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<uc8vg8$3qram$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5071&group=rec.games.trivia#5071

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:17:59 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:17 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?
>
> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.
>
> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.

Stan Lee

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty
>
> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.
>
> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

Uncle and Niece

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

Brothers

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

Father and Son

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

Cousins

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Richard III

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?
>
> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?
>
> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?
>
> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

Passport

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<uc95ok$4ol$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5072&group=rec.games.trivia#5072

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 03:04:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 03:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books

> 1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
> is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
> also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
> '50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
> for creative achievement in comics.

Will Eisner

> 2. Name the Canadian cartoonist famous for her webcomic "Hark! A
> Vagrant" and for her memoir "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands",
> which became the first graphic work to win Canada Reads in 2023.

Kate Beaton

> 3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
> experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
> novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.

Maus

> 4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
> "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
> his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
> for which he doesn't own all the rights.

Alan Moore

> 5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
> in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
> novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
> Persian Empire.

Persepolis

> 6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
> novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
> 20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
> fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.

Scott Pilgrim

> 7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
> up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
> of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
> "Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
> she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".

Margaret Atwood

> 8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?

Sandman

> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.

Alison Bechdel

> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.

Jack Kirby

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty

> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.

> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

uncle

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

brother

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

grandfather

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

half-sister

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Charles I

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

they were Catholic

> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?

George III; George IV

> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1483

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

passport

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<cb6d3a5a-ba97-460a-94c5-be7e2b4c0e76n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5073&group=rec.games.trivia#5073

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 03:15 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 1:45:39 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books
>
> 1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
> is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
> also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
> '50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
> for creative achievement in comics.

Eisner
> 3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
> experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
> novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.

"Maus"

> 4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
> "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
> his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
> for which he doesn't own all the rights.

Moore
> 5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
> in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
> novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
> Persian Empire.

"Persepolis"

> 6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
> novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
> 20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
> fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.

Scott Pilgrim

> 7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
> up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
> of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
> "Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
> she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".

Atwood

> 8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?

"Sandman"

> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.

Bechdel

> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.

Kirby

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty
>
> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

uncle

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

brother

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

grandfather

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

sister

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Charles I

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

they were Catholic

> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?

George IV

> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1936

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

passport

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<uc9dd7$3sngg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5074&group=rec.games.trivia#5074

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:15:17 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 05:15 UTC

On 8/23/23 23:45, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books
>
> 1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
> is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
> also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
> '50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
> for creative achievement in comics.
>
> 2. Name the Canadian cartoonist famous for her webcomic "Hark! A
> Vagrant" and for her memoir "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands",
> which became the first graphic work to win Canada Reads in 2023.
>
> 3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
> experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
> novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.
>
> 4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
> "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
> his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
> for which he doesn't own all the rights.
>
> 5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
> in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
> novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
> Persian Empire.
>
> 6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
> novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
> 20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
> fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.
>
> 7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
> up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
> of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
> "Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
> she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".
>
> 8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?

Sandman

> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.
>
> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty
>
> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.
>
> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

uncle

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

brother

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

grandfather

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

half-sister

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Charles I

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

They were Roman Catholic

> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there? >
> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1936

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

driver's licence

(She didn't have one as Queen, but likely had one as Princess. Dunno if
that's an issue for this question.)

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<mp2cnfPC17HYFHX5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5075&group=rec.games.trivia#5075

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:58:13 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:58 UTC

Mark Brader:
>> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
>> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
>> never had.

Erland Sommarskog:
> ID card

Spoken like a true foreigner! The concept of a single national
ID card is one that the English-speaking countries generally
believe in. In North America at least, people who want verification
of your identity will generally ask for your driver's license.
(Nowadays similar-looking cards are issued to non-drivers, at
least in some states and provinces).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's easier to deal with 'opposite numbers'
msb@vex.net | when you know you cannot trust them." --Chess

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<W_-dnZA-3uVKFnX5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=rec.games.trivia#5076

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:09:11 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:09 UTC

Mark Brader:
> Spoken like a true foreigner! The concept of a single national
> ID card is one that the English-speaking countries generally
> believe in.

Not! Is NOT one. (Sigh.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Just be yourself -- everybody else is taken."
msb@vex.net | --David Crombie

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: graphic novels and royalty

<4acd0167-8b3e-415f-bcf8-761fabae6f2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5077&group=rec.games.trivia#5077

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 23:12 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 2:45:39 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books
>
> 1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
> is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
> also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
> '50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
> for creative achievement in comics.

eisner

> 2. Name the Canadian cartoonist famous for her webcomic "Hark! A
> Vagrant" and for her memoir "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands",
> which became the first graphic work to win Canada Reads in 2023.

kate beaton

> 3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
> experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
> novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.

maus

> 4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
> "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
> his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
> for which he doesn't own all the rights.

alan moore

> 5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
> in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
> novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
> Persian Empire.

perseopolis?

> 6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
> novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
> 20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
> fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.

scott pilgrim

> 7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
> up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
> of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
> "Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
> she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".

m. atwood

> 8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?

sandman [you left out ''the ocean at the end of the lane]

> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.

bechdel

> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.

stan lee ; jack kirby

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty
>
> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.
>
> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

uncle/niece

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

brothers

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

grandfather/grandson

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

sisters

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

charles i

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

he was protestant?

> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

windsor

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?

queen victoria?

> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1936 [and the only one]

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

passport ; driver's license

> --
> Mark Brader | "Are you coming to bed?"
> Toronto | "I can't. This is important... Someone is WRONG on the Internet.."
> m...@vex.net | --Randall Munroe
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, http://xkcd.com/386

QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: graphic novels and royalty

<jpGcnVEbusOilXb5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=rec.games.trivia#5078

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: graphic novels and royalty
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:24:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Graphic Novels and Comic Books

> 1. "A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories", from 1978,
> is often credited as the first graphic novel. Name its author,
> also famous for his groundbreaking early work in the 1940s and
> '50s with "The Spirit" and for his namesake award given annually
> for creative achievement in comics.

Will Eisner. (Not Harvey Kurtzman, that's a different award.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 2. Name the Canadian cartoonist famous for her webcomic "Hark! A
> Vagrant" and for her memoir "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands",
> which became the first graphic work to win Canada Reads in 2023.

Kate Beaton. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 3. Name Art Spiegelman's anthropomorphized retelling of his father's
> experiences during the Holocaust. It was the first graphic
> novel to win the Pulitzer Prize.

"Maus: A Survivor's Tale" (subtitle not required). 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen.

> 4. Name the prolific British author of influential graphic novels
> "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "From Hell", and "The League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen". Dissatisfied with adaptations of
> his work to other media, he is often uncredited on projects
> for which he doesn't own all the rights.

Alan Moore. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. Name Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical account of growing up
> in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. The graphic
> novel takes its name from the ancient capital city of the
> Persian Empire.

"Persepolis". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 6. Name the title character of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic
> novel series set in Toronto. The lead character is a slacker
> 20-something who plays bass in the band Sex Bob-Omb and has to
> fight Ramona Flowers' seven evil exes in order to date her.

Scott Pilgrim. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 7. Name the prolific Canadian writer and poet who is currently
> up for the <answer 1> award for writing a graphic adaptation
> of a Tori Amos song. She has also written the graphic novel
> "Angel Catbird", featuring an animal-human hybrid hero, a topic
> she also covered in her novel "Oryx and Crake".

Margaret Atwood. ("Silent All These Years", with David Mack).
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

It didn't win; the Best Short Story Eisner Award went to Kevin Conroy
(posthumously) and J. Bone for "Finding Batman".

> 8. Neil Gaiman is well known for his novels, which include "Good
> Omens", "American Gods", "Anansi Boys", "Stardust", and
> "Coraline", but he is probably best known for what graphic
> novel series focusing on Morpheus, also known as "Dream of
> the Endless"?

"The Sandman". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 9. Name the cartoonist responsible for the award-winning graphic
> novel "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic". She is also known for
> a test that measures the representation of women in film and
> other works of fiction, which she introduced in her "Dykes to
> Watch Out For" comic strip.

Alison Bechdel. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 10. Name *either* of the two men who collaborated on the 1978
> graphic novel "The Silver Surfer". They had a long creative
> partnership in the 1960s, but this final collaboration came
> after many years of acrimony between the two men and did not
> succeed in mending the rift, which continues to be felt in pop
> culture to this day even though both men have died.

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen
(the hard way).

> * Game 8, Round 3 - History - Royalty

> This round is flush with royals, so to speak.

> 1. For questions #1-4, tell us how each monarch was related to
> his/her successor. We'll also mention the year of succession.
> William IV and Victoria, 1837.

Uncle and niece. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 2. Edward VIII and George VI, 1936.

Brothers. 4 for everyone.

> 3. George II and George III, 1760.

Grandfather and grandson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 4. Mary I ("Bloody Mary") and Elizabeth I, 1558.

Half-sisters. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

In the original game "sisters" would have drawn a "more specific", but
I'm not accepting it here.

> 5. And now, for something completely different. Of which monarch
> did John Cleese say that the most interesting thing about him is
> that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4'8"
> at the end of it? Name and number required.

Charles I. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 6. Queen Anne died childless in 1714, and her sister Queen Mary II
> also died without heir, so the Stuart dynasty came to an end.
> A successor was found, a distant cousin of the German House of
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who became King George I. Why were 56
> other candidates with closer hereditary claims bypassed?

They were all Catholics, excluded from the throne by the Act of
Succession in 1702. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In 1917, when German Gotha bombers were hitting London, George V
> changed the family name (royal house) from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
> -- to what?

Windsor. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, including 78 bathrooms, but
> who was the first monarch to live there?

Queen Victoria. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. What was the last year during which the UK had three kings?

1936. (George V, Edward VIII, George VI.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 10. Name *either one* of the two personal documents, of which most
> Britons would have at least one, that Queen Elizabeth II
> never had.

Passport, driver's license. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen (the hard way).

As Dan Tilque noted, *Queen* Elizabeth never needed either document,
but earlier it was different. See:

http://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/b273891d02a76a09c4e7c9a7168c43c2

After her death the thing was included in a batch of royal memorabilia
sold at auction for £6,800.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit His
Dan Blum 40 32 72
Stephen Perry 40 32 72
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 68
Dan Tilque 4 36 40
Erland Sommarskog 0 24 24
Pete Gayde 4 16 20
--
Mark Brader "I am Sam. Sam I am.
Toronto I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."