Everyone is more or less mad on one point. -- Rudyard Kipling

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsDan Blum
+* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsswp
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsLee Songee
+* QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsJoshua Kreitzer
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsLee Songee
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car starsErland Sommarskog
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: laws, car starsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<3aqdnc96LY2PSXP5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5086&group=rec.games.trivia#5086

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 05:30:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 05:30 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems

1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
planetary motion?

4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
what 10n-letter word?

5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
substances with a two-word name*?

7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
precision is a principle commonly named after which German
physicist?

8. The No-Hair Theorem states that *which astronomical objects*
can be entirely characterized by their mass, charge, and
angular momentum? Katie Bouman's work was key to the creation
of a 2019 image of one of these objects.

9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
same color?

10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
his namesake "machines"?

* Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing

Given a movie or TV show, identify the car that deserved its own
star billing. That means the model, not the individual car.

1. "Goldfinger".
2. "Smokey and the Bandit".
3. "Dukes of Hazzard".
4. "Back to the Future".
5. "The Love Bug".
6. "Bullitt".
7. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
8. "The Italian Job" (1969).
9. "Thelma and Louise".
10. "Breaking Bad".

--
Mark Brader "Never trust anybody who says 'trust me.'
Toronto Except just this once, of course."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<ucmmdr$2kscl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5087&group=rec.games.trivia#5087

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:08:57 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 06:08 UTC

On 8/29/23 22:30, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems
>
> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

force

> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

entropy

> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

Kepler

> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

hypotenuse

> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

integration

> 6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
> volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
> substances with a two-word name*?

ideal gas

> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

Heisenberg

> 8. The No-Hair Theorem states that *which astronomical objects*
> can be entirely characterized by their mass, charge, and
> angular momentum? Katie Bouman's work was key to the creation
> of a 2019 image of one of these objects.

black hole

> 9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
> prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
> countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
> same color?

four

> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

Turing

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing
>
> Given a movie or TV show, identify the car that deserved its own
> star billing. That means the model, not the individual car.
>
> 1. "Goldfinger".

Aston Martin

> 2. "Smokey and the Bandit".

Chevy Camaro

> 3. "Dukes of Hazzard".
> 4. "Back to the Future".

Delorean

> 5. "The Love Bug".

Volkswagen Beetle

> 6. "Bullitt".

Ford Mustang

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<ucoecu$51n$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5088&group=rec.games.trivia#5088

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:04:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems

> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

force

> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

entropy

> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

Kepler

> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a? + b? = c?".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

hypotenuse

> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

integration

> 6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
> volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
> substances with a two-word name*?

ideal gases

> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

Heisenberg

> 8. The No-Hair Theorem states that *which astronomical objects*
> can be entirely characterized by their mass, charge, and
> angular momentum? Katie Bouman's work was key to the creation
> of a 2019 image of one of these objects.

black holes

> 9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
> prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
> countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
> same color?

four

> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

Turing

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing

> 1. "Goldfinger".

Aston-Martin

> 4. "Back to the Future".

DeLorean

> 5. "The Love Bug".

Volkswagen Beetle

> 7. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

Ferrari

> 8. "The Italian Job" (1969).

Mini Cooper

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<258f974f-8fda-4494-9680-94aedd6d9305n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5090&group=rec.games.trivia#5090

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 16:58:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 23:58 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 1:31:05 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems
>
> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

force

> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

entropy

> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

kepler

> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

hypotenuse

> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

differentiation ; integration

> 6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
> volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
> substances with a two-word name*?

ideal gas

> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

heisenberg

> 8. The No-Hair Theorem states that *which astronomical objects*
> can be entirely characterized by their mass, charge, and
> angular momentum? Katie Bouman's work was key to the creation
> of a 2019 image of one of these objects.

black holes

> 9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
> prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
> countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
> same color?

four

> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

alan turing

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing
>
> Given a movie or TV show, identify the car that deserved its own
> star billing. That means the model, not the individual car.
>
> 1. "Goldfinger".

aston martin db5

> 2. "Smokey and the Bandit".

pontiac trans am

> 3. "Dukes of Hazzard".

dodge charger named 'the general lee'

> 4. "Back to the Future".

dmc delorian

> 5. "The Love Bug".

volkswagon beetle

> 6. "Bullitt".

ford mustang gt fastback

> 7. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

ferrari spyder

> 8. "The Italian Job" (1969).

mini cooper

> 9. "Thelma and Louise".

ford thunderbird

> 10. "Breaking Bad".

el camino?

> --
> Mark Brader "Never trust anybody who says 'trust me.'
> Toronto Except just this once, of course."
> m...@vex.net -- John Varley, "Steel Beach"
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<ee5a2525-f926-41d1-b4d1-b680ade19345n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5091&group=rec.games.trivia#5091

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 00:48 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 12:31:05 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems
>
> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

force
> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

entropy

> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

Kepler

> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

hypotenuse

> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

integration

> 6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
> volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
> substances with a two-word name*?

ideal gases

> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

Heisenberg

4

> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

Turing
> * Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing
>
> Given a movie or TV show, identify the car that deserved its own
> star billing. That means the model, not the individual car.
>
> 1. "Goldfinger".

Aston Martin

> 3. "Dukes of Hazzard".

Dodge Challenger
> 4. "Back to the Future".

DeLorean
> 5. "The Love Bug".

Volkswagen Beetle
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<XnsB071D14B2AA16Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5093&group=rec.games.trivia#5093

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:34:27 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems
>
> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

Force
> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Entrophy
> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

Kepler
> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

Hypotenuse
> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

Derivate and integral
> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

Heisenberg
> 9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
> prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
> countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
> same color?

Four
> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

Turing

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: laws, car stars

<20963f28-bcd8-4d12-9df4-4ab2c35b00dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5094&group=rec.games.trivia#5094

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 05:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: songeelee144@gmail.com (Lee Songee)
 by: Lee Songee - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:35 UTC

<2b779198-e589-42ba-aa26-a6d5bfd37948n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5095&group=rec.games.trivia#5095

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 05:36:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: songeelee144@gmail.com (Lee Songee)
 by: Lee Songee - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:36 UTC

<E_ScnfIK7r81KW_5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5096&group=rec.games.trivia#5096

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: laws, car stars
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 04:06:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 04:06 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-10,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Lee Songee posted twice in the thread, each time quoting the whole
of an earlier poster's entry but adding nothing. These were ignored.
If you want to enter, you must, of course, post a response to the
questions without looking at someone else's answers. If you want
to comment on a question or answer, please quote only what you are
commenting on, and say something about it.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Laws & Theorems

> 1. Newton's Second law of Motion is commonly stated as "*what
> quantity* equals the product of mass and acceleration"?

Force. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Erland.

> 2. What measure of disorder, denoted S, always increases within
> a closed system according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Entropy. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The orbit of a planet is an ellipse based around the sun.
> This is the first of *which German astronomer's* laws of
> planetary motion?

Johannes Kepler. 4 for everyone.

> 4. The Pythagorean theorem is often presented as "a² + b² = c²".
> In this formulation, c represents a line segment designated by
> what 10n-letter word?

Hypotenuse. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus lays out the relationship
> between two operations on a function. One describes the slope
> of the tangent to the function and the other calculates the
> area under a curve. Name *either* operation.

Differentiation, integration. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen
(the hard way), and Joshua.

> 6. A chemistry law often presented as PV = nRT relates the pressure,
> volume, number of moles, and temperature of *what class of
> substances with a two-word name*?

Ideal gases. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 7. The idea that any pair of conjugate quantities, like position
> and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with exact
> precision is a principle commonly named after which German
> physicist?

Werner Heisenberg (the Uncertainty Principle). 4 for everyone.

> 8. The No-Hair Theorem states that *which astronomical objects*
> can be entirely characterized by their mass, charge, and
> angular momentum? Katie Bouman's work was key to the creation
> of a 2019 image of one of these objects.

Black holes. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 9. In 1976, Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken used a computer to
> prove that it takes a maximum of how many colors to color the
> countries on a map so that no two adjacent countries share the
> same color?

4. 4 for everyone.

That's how it was worded in the original game, but of course several
qualifications are necessary to state the theorem exactly. The map
must be on a plane or spherical surface or the topological equivalent;
only countries are mapped (as opposed to another color being used
for water areas); each country must consist of a single area (no
exclaves); and single-point contacts (like Utah and New Mexico)
do not make countries adjacent.

> 10. A "thesis" jointly named for Alonzo Church and which legendary
> British computer scientist effectively states that any problem
> is computable if and only if it can be computed using one of
> his namesake "machines"?

Alan Turing (Church-Turing Thesis). 4 for everyone.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Cars with Star Billing

> Given a movie or TV show, identify the car that deserved its own
> star billing. That means the model, not the individual car.

> 1. "Goldfinger".

Aston Martin DB5. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 2. "Smokey and the Bandit".

Pontiac Trans Am. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. "Dukes of Hazzard".

1969 Dodge Charger. (Years were not required.) 4 for Stephen.

> 4. "Back to the Future".

DeLorean DMC-12. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 5. "The Love Bug".

1963 Volkswagen Beetle. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> 6. "Bullitt".

Ford Mustang GT Fastback. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 7. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 8. "The Italian Job" (1969).

Austin Mini Cooper S. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

The 2003 remake also used Mini Coopers.

> 9. "Thelma and Louise".

1966 Ford Thunderbird. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "Breaking Bad".

2004 Pontiac Aztek. The Chevrolet El Camino, the title car of the
sequel movie, was also accepted on a protest. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit His Mis Spo Sci Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 32 36 40 40 40 160
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 28 19 40 12 136
Dan Blum 40 32 12 4 40 20 132
Dan Tilque 4 36 8 12 40 16 104
Erland Sommarskog 0 24 4 24 28 0 80
Pete Gayde 4 16 -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "But [he] had already established his own reputation
Toronto | as someone who wrote poetry that mentioned the el."