The important thing is not to stop questioning.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffsswp
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: Korean War, TV spinoffsMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<A_OcndlVFebrMGv5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5105&group=rec.games.trivia#5105

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 04:24:22 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 04:24 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War

This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.

1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
was set at which parallel of north latitude?

2. At the time of the invasion, the Democratic People's Republic
of Korea was led by which man?

3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
the auspices of which organization?

4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
licence by Canadair)?

9. Although this technology dates back to the 1920s (or earlier),
its first widespread wartime use was in Korea. In combination
with Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals, this technology gave wounded
<answer 3> soldiers an unprecedented 97% chance of survival.
Which technology?

10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va gur bevtvany
tnzr, Xvz jnf "tehqtvatyl npprcgrq" nf n fhssvpvrag nafjre ba bar
dhrfgvba, ohg V qba'g guvax gung'f ernfbanoyr. Vs lbh tnir whfg
gung anzr nf na nafjre, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs

1. Name the "Cheers" spinoff that is *not* "Frasier". This
short-lived sitcom focused on Carla's ex-husband Nick and
his ditzy wife Loretta, played by Dan Hedaya and Jean Kasem.

2. Name the spinoff in which a Hazzard County deputy moves to
Los Angeles and joins the LAPD. Uncle Jesse, Daisy, and
Rosco P. Coltrane all made guest appearancesi, but the show
still got cancelled after only one season

3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
2009 to 2012?

4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
became generally known.

5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
Vigoda's detective character.

6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
spinoff show which bears his name.

7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
long, long-running animated sitcom?

8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.

9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
each include the given names of the two main characters.

10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
"Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "No victor believes in chance."
msb@vex.net -- Nietzsche (trans. Kaufmann)

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<ud6f2t$1s0mp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5106&group=rec.games.trivia#5106

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:41:47 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 05:41 UTC

On 9/4/23 21:24, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War
>
> This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
> Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.
>
> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

38th

> 2. At the time of the invasion, the Democratic People's Republic
> of Korea was led by which man?

Kim Il Sung

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

United Nations

> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

Canada

> 5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
> forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
> President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

Douglas MacArthur

> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

Inchon

> 7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
> to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
> Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
> which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

Yalu

> 8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
> between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
> was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
> which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
> licence by Canadair)?

F-86

> 9. Although this technology dates back to the 1920s (or earlier),
> its first widespread wartime use was in Korea. In combination
> with Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals, this technology gave wounded
> <answer 3> soldiers an unprecedented 97% chance of survival.
> Which technology?

helicopter

> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

Panmunjom

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va gur bevtvany
> tnzr, Xvz jnf "tehqtvatyl npprcgrq" nf n fhssvpvrag nafjre ba bar
> dhrfgvba, ohg V qba'g guvax gung'f ernfbanoyr. Vs lbh tnir whfg
> gung anzr nf na nafjre, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs
>
> 1. Name the "Cheers" spinoff that is *not* "Frasier". This
> short-lived sitcom focused on Carla's ex-husband Nick and
> his ditzy wife Loretta, played by Dan Hedaya and Jean Kasem.
>
> 2. Name the spinoff in which a Hazzard County deputy moves to
> Los Angeles and joins the LAPD. Uncle Jesse, Daisy, and
> Rosco P. Coltrane all made guest appearancesi, but the show
> still got cancelled after only one season
>
> 3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
> series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
> 2009 to 2012?

Jersey Shore

> 4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
> TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
> got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
> Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
> became generally known.
>
> 5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
> became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
> He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
> two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
> Vigoda's detective character.
>
> 6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
> for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
> in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
> at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
> spinoff show which bears his name.
>
> 7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
> character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
> fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
> that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
> long, long-running animated sitcom?

The Simpsons

> 8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
> high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
> Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
> MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
> an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
> most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.
>
> 9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
> each include the given names of the two main characters.

Laverne and Shirley

> 10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
> Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
> main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
> own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
> "Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
> Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
> spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

Different Strokes

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<5504f63b-d11e-4315-8dd4-63ca22a5c5e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5107&group=rec.games.trivia#5107

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 05:52 UTC

On Monday, September 4, 2023 at 11:24:28 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War
>
> This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
> Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.
>
> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

38th

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

United Nations

> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

UK; Canada

> 5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
> forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
> President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

MacArthur

> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

Incheon

> 7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
> to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
> Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
> which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

Yalu River

> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

Panmunjom

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs
>
> 1. Name the "Cheers" spinoff that is *not* "Frasier". This
> short-lived sitcom focused on Carla's ex-husband Nick and
> his ditzy wife Loretta, played by Dan Hedaya and Jean Kasem.

"The Tortellis"
> 2. Name the spinoff in which a Hazzard County deputy moves to
> Los Angeles and joins the LAPD. Uncle Jesse, Daisy, and
> Rosco P. Coltrane all made guest appearancesi, but the show
> still got cancelled after only one season

"Enos"

> 3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
> series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
> 2009 to 2012?

"Jersey Shore"

> 4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
> TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
> got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
> Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
> became generally known.

Honey Boo Boo

> 5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
> became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
> He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
> two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
> Vigoda's detective character.

"Fish"

> 6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
> for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
> in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
> at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
> spinoff show which bears his name.
Lou Grant

> 7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
> character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
> fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
> that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
> long, long-running animated sitcom?

"The Simpsons"

> 8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
> high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
> Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
> MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
> an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
> most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.

"Beavis and Butt-head"

> 9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
> each include the given names of the two main characters.

"Joanie Loves Chachi"

> 10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
> Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
> main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
> own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
> "Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
> Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
> spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

"All in the Family"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<XnsB076D26C9367CYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5108&group=rec.games.trivia#5108

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 20:41:07 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 18:41 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War
>
> This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
> Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.
>
> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

35°N
> 2. At the time of the invasion, the Democratic People's Republic
> of Korea was led by which man?

Kim Il-Sung

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

United Nations
> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

UK
> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

Incheon
> 8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
> between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
> was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
> which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
> licence by Canadair)?

F-16
> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

Panmunjon
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va gur bevtvany
> tnzr, Xvz jnf "tehqtvatyl npprcgrq" nf n fhssvpvrag nafjre ba bar
> dhrfgvba, ohg V qba'g guvax gung'f ernfbanoyr. Vs lbh tnir whfg
> gung anzr nf na nafjre, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.

Says the man who answers Johnson to everything!

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<ud8rgt$7d9$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5110&group=rec.games.trivia#5110

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 03:26:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 03:26 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War

> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

38

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

United Nations

> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

United Kingdom

> 5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
> forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
> President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

Douglas MacArthur

> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

Incheon

> 7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
> to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
> Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
> which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

Yalu

> 8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
> between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
> was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
> which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
> licence by Canadair)?

F-86

> 9. Although this technology dates back to the 1920s (or earlier),
> its first widespread wartime use was in Korea. In combination
> with Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals, this technology gave wounded
> <answer 3> soldiers an unprecedented 97% chance of survival.
> Which technology?

helicopters

> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

Panmunjon

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs

> 3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
> series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
> 2009 to 2012?

The Jersey Shore

> 4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
> TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
> got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
> Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
> became generally known.

Honey Boo-Boo

> 5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
> became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
> He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
> two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
> Vigoda's detective character.

Fish

> 6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
> for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
> in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
> at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
> spinoff show which bears his name.

Lou Grant

> 7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
> character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
> fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
> that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
> long, long-running animated sitcom?

The Simpsons

> 8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
> high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
> Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
> MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
> an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
> most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.

Beavis & Butthead

> 9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
> each include the given names of the two main characters.

Laverne & Shirley

> 10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
> Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
> main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
> own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
> "Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
> Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
> spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

All in the Family

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<cb9a830a-6905-4e89-8eb6-884a879e4a14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5111&group=rec.games.trivia#5111

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:39:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 23:39 UTC

On Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 12:24:28 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War
>
> This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
> Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.
>
> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

38

> 2. At the time of the invasion, the Democratic People's Republic
> of Korea was led by which man?

kim il sung

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

united nations

> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

uk

> 5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
> forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
> President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

general macarthur

> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

incheon

> 7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
> to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
> Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
> which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

yalu river

> 8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
> between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
> was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
> which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
> licence by Canadair)?

f-86 sabre

> 9. Although this technology dates back to the 1920s (or earlier),
> its first widespread wartime use was in Korea. In combination
> with Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals, this technology gave wounded
> <answer 3> soldiers an unprecedented 97% chance of survival.
> Which technology?

helicopters

> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

panmunjom

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va gur bevtvany
> tnzr, Xvz jnf "tehqtvatyl npprcgrq" nf n fhssvpvrag nafjre ba bar
> dhrfgvba, ohg V qba'g guvax gung'f ernfbanoyr. Vs lbh tnir whfg
> gung anzr nf na nafjre, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs
>
> 1. Name the "Cheers" spinoff that is *not* "Frasier". This
> short-lived sitcom focused on Carla's ex-husband Nick and
> his ditzy wife Loretta, played by Dan Hedaya and Jean Kasem.

dang nabbit Mark! this might actually require thought ... the tortellis ??

> 2. Name the spinoff in which a Hazzard County deputy moves to
> Los Angeles and joins the LAPD. Uncle Jesse, Daisy, and
> Rosco P. Coltrane all made guest appearancesi, but the show
> still got cancelled after only one season

enos

> 3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
> series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
> 2009 to 2012?

jersey shore

> 4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
> TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
> got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
> Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
> became generally known.

honey boo boo

> 5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
> became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
> He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
> two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
> Vigoda's detective character.

fish

> 6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
> for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
> in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
> at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
> spinoff show which bears his name.

lou grant

> 7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
> character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
> fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
> that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
> long, long-running animated sitcom?

the simpsons

> 8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
> high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
> Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
> MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
> an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
> most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.

beavis and butthead

> 9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
> each include the given names of the two main characters.

joanie loves chachi

> 10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
> Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
> main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
> own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
> "Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
> Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
> spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

all in the family

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "No victor believes in chance."
> m...@vex.net -- Nietzsche (trans. Kaufmann)
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: Korean War, TV spinoffs

<boOdnQBb2dCCMmf5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5112&group=rec.games.trivia#5112

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: Korean War, TV spinoffs
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 05:20:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - The Korean War

> This week marks the 70th anniversary of the end of the Korean War.
> Let's hope you remember some facts about this forgotten war.

> 1. Prior to 1950-06-25, the boundary between North and South Korea
> was set at which parallel of north latitude?

38°. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and (just in time!)
Stephen.

> 2. At the time of the invasion, the Democratic People's Republic
> of Korea was led by which man?

Kim Il Sung (full name required). 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.

> 3. The military force defending South Korea was organized under
> the auspices of which organization?

United Nations. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

At the time of the invasion, the Soviet Union was boycotting the UN
(over their non-recognition of Communist China), so they weren't
present to veto the resolutions enabling the UN intervention.

> 4. In terms of manpower, the main contributors to the <answer 3>
> forces were South Korea and the US. Which country was in third
> place, with about 26,000 soldiers?

Canada! 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. For the first year of the war, the commander of <answer 3>
> forces was this general who made his reputation in World War II.
> President Truman fired him in April 1951. Who?

Douglas MacArthur. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. One of <answer 5>'s accomplishments was the massive September
> 1950 amphibious assault on a certain port city, leading to the
> recapture of Seoul. Today, you may be more likely to know it
> as the site of Seoul's main airport. What city?

Incheon. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Concerned by <answer 5>'s rapid advance towards China (not
> to mention his threats to use nuclear weapons), in October 1950
> Mao Zedong sent the People's Volunteer Army across which river,
> which forms the boundary between China and North Korea?

Yalu (or Amnok). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. The Korean War was the first war to involve widespread combat
> between jet aircraft. The mainstay of the Chinese air force
> was the MiG-15. The <answer 3> air force countered it with
> which jet manufactured by North American Aviation (and under
> licence by Canadair)?

F-86 Sabre (either part was sufficient). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 9. Although this technology dates back to the 1920s (or earlier),
> its first widespread wartime use was in Korea. In combination
> with Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals, this technology gave wounded
> <answer 3> soldiers an unprecedented 97% chance of survival.
> Which technology?

Helicopter. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. Since a peace treaty has never been signed, the war is still
> technically under way. Hostilities ended after an armistice
> agreement was signed on 1953-07-27 at which border village?

Panmunjom. 4 for everyone.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Spinoffs

> 1. Name the "Cheers" spinoff that is *not* "Frasier". This
> short-lived sitcom focused on Carla's ex-husband Nick and
> his ditzy wife Loretta, played by Dan Hedaya and Jean Kasem.

"The Tortellis". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. Name the spinoff in which a Hazzard County deputy moves to
> Los Angeles and joins the LAPD. Uncle Jesse, Daisy, and
> Rosco P. Coltrane all made guest appearancesi, but the show
> still got cancelled after only one season

"Enos". (From "The Dukes of Hazzard", of course.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> 3. "The Pauly D Project" and "Snooki and JWoww" were two spinoff
> series from what popular MTV reality series that aired from
> 2009 to 2012?

"Jersey Shore". 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. Alana Thompson was the breakout star of the 2011 edition of
> TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". She and her family quickly
> got their own spinoff series in 2012 that ran for 4 seasons.
> Name *either* the spinoff show or the nickname by which Thompson
> became generally known.

"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo", Honey Boo Boo. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 5. Abe Vigoda had his biggest film role in "The Godfather", but he
> became best known for his role as a detective on "Barney Miller".
> He was so popular he was given his own spinoff, which ran for
> two seasons starting in 1977. Name the spinoff focusing on
> Vigoda's detective character.

"Fish". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. Ed Asner won three Emmys for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy
> for playing a TV news director -- and two more for Best Actor
> in a Drama for playing the same character, now a city editor
> at a newspaper in a spinoff show. Name this character, or the
> spinoff show which bears his name.

Lou Grant, "Lou Grant". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Only one other person has won comedy and drama Emmys for playing the
same character: Uzo Aduba as Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren. In her case
both awards were for the same show, the comedy-drama "Orange Is the
New Black". The TV Academy decided in 2015 that a 1-hour show was
automatically a drama unless they granted a special exemption, and
the show's application to continue competing as a comedy was denied.

> 7. "Chief Wiggum P.I." was a spinoff that followed the title
> character as he and his son Ralph moved to New Orleans to
> fight crime. Okay, this was actually a *potential* spinoff
> that aired as a segment in the 8th-season finale of what long,
> long, long-running animated sitcom?

"The Simpsons". 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. "Daria", an animated sitcom focusing on the life of cynical
> high-schooler Daria Morgendorffer, ran from 1997 to 2002 on MTV.
> Previously, Daria had been a recurring character on another
> MTV animated show. Name the series where Daria made her debut,
> an animated sitcom produced by Mike Judge whose lead characters
> most recently appeared in a 2022 movie.

"Beavis and Butthead". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. Name any *any one* of three Happy Days spinoffs whose titles
> each include the given names of the two main characters.

"Laverne and Shirley", "Mork and Mindy", "Joanie Loves Chachi".
4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. Some shows are so successful, even their spinoffs have spinoffs.
> Both "Maude" and "The Jeffersons" had spinoffs in which the
> main character's African-American housekeeper went off on her
> own to a new job. "Good Times" was a Dyn-o-mite! hit, but
> "Checking In" only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled.
> Name their grandfather series -- the groundbreaking sitcom that
> spawned "Maude" and "The Jeffersons".

"All in the Family". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent
Stephen Perry 36 40 76
Joshua Kreitzer 26 40 66
Dan Blum 32 32 64
Dan Tilque 40 12 52
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Perhaps I should have done the posting and sleeping
msb@vex.net | in the other order." --Peter Duncanson