"Nature is very un-American. Nature never hurries." -- William George Jordan

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeDan Tilque
+* RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: CanRadio, super challengeMark Brader
|`- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: CanRadio, super challengeErland Sommarskog
`* RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengePete Gayde
 `- RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<NYGcnfbjopHLeYX5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5123&group=rec.games.trivia#5123

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:55:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:55 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio

(This round was designated as Canadiana after the original game
when they realized they hadn't designated a Canadiana round and
most of the questions are Canadiana.)

1. What """are""" the call letters for the Toronto FM station
"Jazz FM 91"?

2. In MHz, what FM frequency """does""" CBC Radio 1 broadcast on
in Toronto?

3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
high end?

4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

5. What is the FM frequency of the Radio-Canada station "Espace
Musique"?

6. Johnny Lombardi started a family-owned multicultural station
in the 1960s, which """supports""" an annual picnic.
What """are""" the call letters of this station?

7. On what station """does""" classic rocker Kim Mitchell host a
radio program?

8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
next evening."""

9. Moses Znaimer's Zoomer radio station """is""" aimed at the
"older but active segment of the population". It """has"""
the call letters CFZM. What """does""" ZM stand for?

10. Moses Znaimer """is""" also part-owner of another
primarily-music station, at 96.3 on the FM band. What
kind of music """does""" it play?

** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round

Your categories are:

A. Supermen
B. Super Science
C. Super Sports
D. Superpowers
E. Super Cars
F. Super Music

* A. Supermen

A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?

A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
"Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
over an abyss"?

* B. Super Science

B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
said to be what?

B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?

* C. Super Sports

C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
"""are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?

* D. Superpowers

D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
"The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
Name *all three* countries that the term originally
applied to.

D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
previous question. Va jung pbhagel qvq gur yrnqref bs gur
HX, HF, naq HFFE ubyq gurve svefg zrrgvat, va yngr 1943?

* E. Super Cars

E1. The designation SS """is""" used after the model name for a
great many makes, particularly General Motors Chevrolet
products. What does SS stand for?

E2. How does a supercharger increase the performance of internal
combustion engines?

* F. Super Music

F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
one* of the other members.

F2. In 1970 Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos. Again,
name *any one* of the other members.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | It's never too late to learn what "opsimath" means.
msb@vex.net | --James Hogg

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<8f60df59-0dd7-401d-bd59-d97c93e70bffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5124&group=rec.games.trivia#5124

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 23:32 UTC

On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 5:55:30 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio
>
> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

108 MHz

> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

amplitude modulation

> 8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
> from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
> which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
> non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
> 1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
> next evening."""

"Art Bell Coast to Coast" (?)
> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round
>
> * A. Supermen
>
> A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
> fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?

Shaw

> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Nietzsche

> * B. Super Science
>
> B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
> heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
> is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
> with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
> possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
> said to be what?

supersaturated

> * C. Super Sports
>
> C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
> disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
> 1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

Super G
> C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
> banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
> """are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
> Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?

superspeedways

> * D. Superpowers
>
> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

USA, USSR, UK

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Va jung pbhagel qvq gur yrnqref bs gur
> HX, HF, naq HFFE ubyq gurve svefg zrrgvat, va yngr 1943?

Iran

> * F. Super Music
>
> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.

Baker

> F2. In 1970 Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos. Again,
> name *any one* of the other members.

Allman

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<tvb5us$or6$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5125&group=rec.games.trivia#5125

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:49:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio

> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

110

> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

amplitude modulation

> 8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
> from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
> which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
> non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
> 1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
> next evening."""

Long John Nebel

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round

> * A. Supermen

> A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
> fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?

Shaw

> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "?bermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Nietzche

> * B. Super Science

> B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
> heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
> is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
> with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
> possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
> said to be what?

supersaturated

> B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
> says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
> sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
> neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?

superstring

> * C. Super Sports

> C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
> banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
> """are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
> Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?

super speedways

> * D. Superpowers

> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

USA, USSR, and China

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Va jung pbhagel qvq gur yrnqref bs gur
> HX, HF, naq HFFE ubyq gurve svefg zrrgvat, va yngr 1943?

USA

> * F. Super Music

> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.

Ginger Baker

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<XnsAFCECF84A2925Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5126&group=rec.games.trivia#5126

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:23:59 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:23 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio
>
> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

108
> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

Amplitude modulation

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round
>
> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Nietschke
> B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
> says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
> sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
> neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?

Super symmetry
> * C. Super Sports
>
> C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
> disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
> 1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

Super-G
> * D. Superpowers
>
> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

USA, USSR and China
> * F. Super Music
>
> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.

Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<tveqlu$jv3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5127&group=rec.games.trivia#5127

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 05:01:02 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:01 UTC

On 3/20/23 15:55, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio
>
> (This round was designated as Canadiana after the original game
> when they realized they hadn't designated a Canadiana round and
> most of the questions are Canadiana.)
>
> 1. What """are""" the call letters for the Toronto FM station
> "Jazz FM 91"?
>
> 2. In MHz, what FM frequency """does""" CBC Radio 1 broadcast on
> in Toronto?
>
> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

1510

> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

amplitude modulated

> 5. What is the FM frequency of the Radio-Canada station "Espace
> Musique"?
>
> 6. Johnny Lombardi started a family-owned multicultural station
> in the 1960s, which """supports""" an annual picnic.
> What """are""" the call letters of this station?
>
> 7. On what station """does""" classic rocker Kim Mitchell host a
> radio program?
>
> 8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
> from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
> which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
> non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
> 1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
> next evening."""
>
> 9. Moses Znaimer's Zoomer radio station """is""" aimed at the
> "older but active segment of the population". It """has"""
> the call letters CFZM. What """does""" ZM stand for?
>
> 10. Moses Znaimer """is""" also part-owner of another
> primarily-music station, at 96.3 on the FM band. What
> kind of music """does""" it play?
>

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. Supermen
> B. Super Science
> C. Super Sports
> D. Superpowers
> E. Super Cars
> F. Super Music
>

> * A. Supermen
>
> A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
> fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?
>
> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Neitzsche

> * B. Super Science
>
> B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
> heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
> is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
> with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
> possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
> said to be what?

supersaturated

> B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
> says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
> sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
> neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?

supersymetry

> * C. Super Sports
>
> C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
> disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
> 1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

Super G

> C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
> banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
> """are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
> Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?
>

> * D. Superpowers
>
> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

Soviet Union, United Kingdom, United States

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Va jung pbhagel qvq gur yrnqref bs gur
> HX, HF, naq HFFE ubyq gurve svefg zrrgvat, va yngr 1943?

Yalta

> * E. Super Cars
>
> E1. The designation SS """is""" used after the model name for a
> great many makes, particularly General Motors Chevrolet
> products. What does SS stand for?

Super Sport

> E2. How does a supercharger increase the performance of internal
> combustion engines?

increases the amount of air in the cylinders

> * F. Super Music
>
> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.
>
> F2. In 1970 Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos. Again,
> name *any one* of the other members.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: CanRadio, super challenge

<BLKcnRzvmO73dIH5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5128&group=rec.games.trivia#5128

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: CanRadio, super challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:06:02 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:06 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER! Hearty
congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio

> (This round was designated as Canadiana after the original game
> when they realized they hadn't designated a Canadiana round and
> most of the questions are Canadiana.)

> 1. What """are""" the call letters for the Toronto FM station
> "Jazz FM 91"?

CJRT. (Still true.)

> 2. In MHz, what FM frequency """does""" CBC Radio 1 broadcast on
> in Toronto?

99.1. (Still true.)

> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

108 MHz (accepting 107-109). 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

Amplitude modulation. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What is the FM frequency of the Radio-Canada station "Espace
> Musique"?

90.3. (Still true, but it's now called "Ici Musique".)

> 6. Johnny Lombardi started a family-owned multicultural station
> in the 1960s, which """supports""" an annual picnic.
> What """are""" the call letters of this station?

CHIN. (Still true.)

> 7. On what station """does""" classic rocker Kim Mitchell host a
> radio program?

Q107 (or CILQ). (His show ended in 2015.)

> 8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
> from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
> which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
> non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
> 1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
> next evening."""

"Coast to Coast AM". I accepted anything with "Coast to Coast".
(As far as I can tell the show still exists, but is no longer carried
in Toronto.) 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Moses Znaimer's Zoomer radio station """is""" aimed at the
> "older but active segment of the population". It """has"""
> the call letters CFZM. What """does""" ZM stand for?

Zoomer Media. (All still true.)

> 10. Moses Znaimer """is""" also part-owner of another
> primarily-music station, at 96.3 on the FM band. What
> kind of music """does""" it play?

Classical. (Also still true.)

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round

> Your categories are:

> A. Supermen
> B. Super Science
> C. Super Sports
> D. Superpowers
> E. Super Cars
> F. Super Music

> * A. Supermen

> A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
> fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?

George Bernard Shaw. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Friedrich Nietzsche. 4 for everyone, though Joshua was the only
one to spell the name correctly.

> * B. Super Science

> B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
> heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
> is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
> with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
> possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
> said to be what?

Supersaturated. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
> says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
> sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
> neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?

Supersymmetry. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Super Sports

> C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
> disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
> 1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

Super G (super giant slalom). 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

Again, on this question I did not think I could accept "superslalom"
as almost correct.

> C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
> banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
> """are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
> Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?

Superspeedways. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

I find conflicting information as to how many there are now.
NASCAR's own web site says in one place that there are just 2 --
Daytona and Talladega -- and in another place it lists 4.

> * D. Superpowers

> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

The UK, the US, and the USSR. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. In what country did the leaders of the
> UK, US, and USSR hold their first meeting, in late 1943?

Iran. (The Tehran Conference.) 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Super Cars

> E1. The designation SS """is""" used after the model name for a
> great many makes, particularly General Motors Chevrolet
> products. What does SS stand for?

Super Sport. (Chevrolet SS's are on longer made, but I am not
checking on other manufacturers.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> E2. How does a supercharger increase the performance of internal
> combustion engines?

It increases the pressure in the air/fuel mixture, enabling more
mixture (not just more air) to enter the cylinders.

> * F. Super Music

> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.

Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland (the
hard way).

In the original game this one was made somewhat harder because instead
of "Cream", the question writer wrote the name of Clapton's next group,
Blind Faith!

> F2. In 1970 Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos. Again,
> name *any one* of the other members.

Duane Allman, Jim Gordon, Dave Mason, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock.
4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci His Lit Geo Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 36 20 4 24 36 0 12 36 164
Dan Blum 24 4 24 36 28 11 4 20 143
Pete Gayde 18 29 12 36 20 4 -- -- 119
Dan Tilque 16 4 32 28 8 4 4 24 112
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 28 24 -- -- 8 16 84

--
Mark Brader | "Follow my posts and choose the opposite
msb@vex.net | of what I use. That generally works here."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<tvj2b0$1dbi7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5131&group=rec.games.trivia#5131

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:36:15 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 02:36 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana - Radio
>
> (This round was designated as Canadiana after the original game
> when they realized they hadn't designated a Canadiana round and
> most of the questions are Canadiana.)
>
> 1. What """are""" the call letters for the Toronto FM station
> "Jazz FM 91"?
>
> 2. In MHz, what FM frequency """does""" CBC Radio 1 broadcast on
> in Toronto?
>
> 3. The low end of the FM radio broadcast band """is""" 88 MHz.
> To the nearest whole megahertz, within 1, what """is""" the
> high end?

107

> 4. In AM radio, what does "AM" stand for?

Amplitude Modulation

> 5. What is the FM frequency of the Radio-Canada station "Espace
> Musique"?
>
> 6. Johnny Lombardi started a family-owned multicultural station
> in the 1960s, which """supports""" an annual picnic.
> What """are""" the call letters of this station?
>
> 7. On what station """does""" classic rocker Kim Mitchell host a
> radio program?
>
> 8. What """is""" the name of the all-night radio show originating
> from California, """broadcast locally on Talk Radio AM 640""",
> which deals in supernatural, UFO, conspiracy, and other
> non-mainstream subjects? """It is broadcast nightly from
> 1 to 5 am, and usually repeated again from 9 pm to 1 am the
> next evening."""
>
> 9. Moses Znaimer's Zoomer radio station """is""" aimed at the
> "older but active segment of the population". It """has"""
> the call letters CFZM. What """does""" ZM stand for?
>
> 10. Moses Znaimer """is""" also part-owner of another
> primarily-music station, at 96.3 on the FM band. What
> kind of music """does""" it play?
>

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Super Challenge Round
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. Supermen
> B. Super Science
> C. Super Sports
> D. Superpowers
> E. Super Cars
> F. Super Music
>

> * A. Supermen
>
> A1. The 4-act drama "Man and Superman" is based on the legendary
> fictional libertine Don Juan. Who wrote this play?

Goethe; Moliere

> A2. Which 19th-century philosopher developed the concept of the
> "Übermensch", or Superman, and said that "Man is a rope
> stretched between the animal and the Superman -- a rope
> over an abyss"?

Nietzsche

> * B. Super Science
>
> B1. In a classic high-school chemistry experiment, water is
> heated in a test tube, and a substance (usually a salt)
> is dissolved in it. The water is then cooled, and ends up
> with more of the salt dissolved in it than is normally
> possible at the cooler temperature. Such a solution is
> said to be what?

Super saturated

> B2. This extension of the standard model of particle physics
> says that every known particle has a yet-to-be discovered
> sister particle: for example, squarks, selectrons and
> neutralinos. What is the name given to this theory?
>

> * C. Super Sports
>
> C1. In Alpine skiing, what is the second-fastest of the four
> disciplines? It was introduced as a World Cup event in
> 1983 and an Olympic event in 1988.

Super Giant Slalom

> C2. These auto racing tracks are at least 2 miles long, have
> banked turns, and are known for high speeds. There
> """are""" 7 in the United States, including Daytona,
> Indianapolis, and Talladega. What are they called?

Super Speedways

> * D. Superpowers
>
> D1. The term "superpower" in its current political meaning
> was coined by geostrategist Nicholas Spykman in a series
> of lectures. A year later, foreign policy professor
> William T.R. Fox elaborated on the concept in the book
> "The Super-Powers". (The word was originally hyphenated.)
> Name *all three* countries that the term originally
> applied to.

Soviet Union, United States, United Kingdom; Soviet Union, United
States, Japan

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Va jung pbhagel qvq gur yrnqref bs gur
> HX, HF, naq HFFE ubyq gurve svefg zrrgvat, va yngr 1943?

Iran

> * E. Super Cars
>
> E1. The designation SS """is""" used after the model name for a
> great many makes, particularly General Motors Chevrolet
> products. What does SS stand for?
>
> E2. How does a supercharger increase the performance of internal
> combustion engines?

Feeding exhaust gases back into the engine

> * F. Super Music
>
> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
> one* of the other members.

Ginger Baker

> F2. In 1970 Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos. Again,
> name *any one* of the other members.

Bobby Whitlock

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: CanRadio, super challenge

<UYCdnbi0iKg1iYD5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=rec.games.trivia#5132

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:10:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:10 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
8 points on Round 9 and 31 on Round 10, for a final score of 146,
good enough to finish 2nd instead of 3rd.
--
Mark Brader | "If I quoted each [part] that had serious problems,
Toronto | [the author] could sue me for copyright infringement."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: CanRadio, super challenge

<XnsAFD37CC1ECC59Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5136&group=rec.games.trivia#5136

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:15:50 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:15 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> F1. Eric Clapton formed the supergroup Cream in 1966. Name *any
>> one* of the other members.
>
> Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland (the
> hard way).
>
> In the original game this one was made somewhat harder because instead
> of "Cream", the question writer wrote the name of Clapton's next group,
> Blind Faith!

I would rather say that this made the question easier, since Blind
Faith had four members, so there were more people to guess from!

In any case, Ginger Baker is a correct answer no matter the group.
(The other two were Rich Grech and Steve Winwood.)