But like the Good Book says... There's BIGGER DEALS to come!

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: burnings and wood

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodPete Gayde
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and woodErland Sommarskog
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: burnings and woodMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<KZmdne1wkdFWdIH5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5129&group=rec.games.trivia#5129

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:07:39 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:07 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
when it named a female chair. What is her name?

* Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It

1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
What novel?

2. And speaking of religion... William Tyndale's edition of the
Bible was burned in 1526, but this wasn't enough to stop him,
so in 1536 he too was publicly burned. What was it about
his version of the Bible that was so horrible it led to both
punishments?

3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
that something never happened. What's the term?

4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
Name it.

5. This man, who should be near and dear to our hearts (though
not for any reason described here), promoted the burning of
non-Catholic literature, especially the Jewish Talmud and Arabic
books, after the final defeat of the Moors at Granada in 1492.

6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
of the United States is from Texas"?

9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
"Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
being used to hide these messages?

10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
Lennon's controversial statement?

* Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction

The following are some questions based on CMHC's best-selling
"Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" booklet. (I suspect
someone was desperate for an idea for a Canadiana round...)

*Note*: I am not checking for a newer version of this booklet.
Only answers that were correct in the original game will be
accepted.

1. Name the concrete strip poured below a foundation wall to
increase the area of load-bearing soil for the wall.

2. A wood member is bolted to the top of a foundation wall to
provide bearing and connection for a wood-frame floor or a wall.
What is this member called?

3. Name the vertical structural members in a wood frame wall.
They are usually 2×4's or 2×6's (38×89 or 38×140 mm).

4. Name the horizontal structural members usually spaced at
16" or 24" (400 or 600 mm) on centers.

5. Name the sloping wood members which make up a roof structure.

6. Any openings in stud walls require supports for the part of
the wall above them, and loads transmitted through it. What
are these supports called?

7. In contemporary suburban homes, roofs are often made up of a
number of smaller sections. Usually prefabricated and often
in a W configuration, these assemblies are called what?

8. Exterior walls in most suburban homes consist of an insulated
wood-stud wall with a single wythe of masonry 3½" (90 mm)
thick tied to it, then a 1" (25 mm) air space. What is this
type of wall called?

9. On the exterior side of an exterior wood-stud wall or roof is
a layer of plywood or some similar manufactured wood product
such as oriented strand board. What is this layer called?

10. To prevent moisture from inside the building penetrating a
wall and condensing inside of it, a sheet material -- usually
6-mil (0.15 mm) polyethylene -- is installed between the
interior finish and the studs, providing an air seal. What is
this layer called?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "(And then there were the mtimes.
msb@vex.net | Oh, the mtimes...)" --Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<a4cb7655-ca22-4c31-948b-4a638831aad2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5130&group=rec.games.trivia#5130

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:32 UTC

On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 7:07:50 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It
>
> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

"The Satanic Verses"

> 2. And speaking of religion... William Tyndale's edition of the
> Bible was burned in 1526, but this wasn't enough to stop him,
> so in 1536 he too was publicly burned. What was it about
> his version of the Bible that was so horrible it led to both
> punishments?

it was translated into English

> 3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
> novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
> in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
> were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
> ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
> alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
> documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
> particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
> that something never happened. What's the term?

memory hole

> 4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
> of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
> burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
> Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
> because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
> second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
> Name it.

"Lady Chatterley's Lover"

> 5. This man, who should be near and dear to our hearts (though
> not for any reason described here), promoted the burning of
> non-Catholic literature, especially the Jewish Talmud and Arabic
> books, after the final defeat of the Moors at Granada in 1492.

Torquemada
> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

firemen

> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

the Nazi Party

> 8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
> But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
> after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
> of the United States is from Texas"?

the Dixie Chicks

> 9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
> burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
> in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
> "Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
> being used to hide these messages?

backwards masking

> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

that the Beatles were "bigger than Jesus"

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction

I'll take the zero here.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<tvj52f$qib$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5133&group=rec.games.trivia#5133

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:22:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:22 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It

> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

The Satanic Verses

> 3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
> novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
> in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
> were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
> ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
> alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
> documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
> particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
> that something never happened. What's the term?

memory hole

> 4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
> of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
> burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
> Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
> because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
> second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
> Name it.

Lady Chatterley's Lover

> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

firefightwe

> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

the Nazi Party

> 9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
> burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
> in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
> "Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
> being used to hide these messages?

backward masking

> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction

> 3. Name the vertical structural members in a wood frame wall.
> They are usually 2?4's or 2?6's (38?89 or 38?140 mm).

studs

> 8. Exterior walls in most suburban homes consist of an insulated
> wood-stud wall with a single wythe of masonry 3?" (90 mm)
> thick tied to it, then a 1" (25 mm) air space. What is this
> type of wall called?

drywall

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<tvj9nr$1hacr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5134&group=rec.games.trivia#5134

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 23:42:34 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 04:42 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?
>
> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It
>
> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

Satanic Verses

> 2. And speaking of religion... William Tyndale's edition of the
> Bible was burned in 1526, but this wasn't enough to stop him,
> so in 1536 he too was publicly burned. What was it about
> his version of the Bible that was so horrible it led to both
> punishments?
>
> 3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
> novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
> in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
> were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
> ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
> alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
> documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
> particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
> that something never happened. What's the term?
>
> 4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
> of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
> burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
> Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
> because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
> second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
> Name it.
>
> 5. This man, who should be near and dear to our hearts (though
> not for any reason described here), promoted the burning of
> non-Catholic literature, especially the Jewish Talmud and Arabic
> books, after the final defeat of the Moors at Granada in 1492.

Torquemada

> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?
>
> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

Hitler

> 8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
> But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
> after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
> of the United States is from Texas"?

Dixie Chicks

> 9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
> burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
> in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
> "Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
> being used to hide these messages?
>
> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

The Beatles were more popular than God

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction
>
> The following are some questions based on CMHC's best-selling
> "Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" booklet. (I suspect
> someone was desperate for an idea for a Canadiana round...)
>
> *Note*: I am not checking for a newer version of this booklet.
> Only answers that were correct in the original game will be
> accepted.
>
> 1. Name the concrete strip poured below a foundation wall to
> increase the area of load-bearing soil for the wall.

Sill

> 2. A wood member is bolted to the top of a foundation wall to
> provide bearing and connection for a wood-frame floor or a wall.
> What is this member called?

Sill

> 3. Name the vertical structural members in a wood frame wall.
> They are usually 2×4's or 2×6's (38×89 or 38×140 mm).

Framing members

> 4. Name the horizontal structural members usually spaced at
> 16" or 24" (400 or 600 mm) on centers.
>
> 5. Name the sloping wood members which make up a roof structure.

Joists

> 6. Any openings in stud walls require supports for the part of
> the wall above them, and loads transmitted through it. What
> are these supports called?

Jamb

> 7. In contemporary suburban homes, roofs are often made up of a
> number of smaller sections. Usually prefabricated and often
> in a W configuration, these assemblies are called what?
>
> 8. Exterior walls in most suburban homes consist of an insulated
> wood-stud wall with a single wythe of masonry 3½" (90 mm)
> thick tied to it, then a 1" (25 mm) air space. What is this
> type of wall called?
>
> 9. On the exterior side of an exterior wood-stud wall or roof is
> a layer of plywood or some similar manufactured wood product
> such as oriented strand board. What is this layer called?

Sheathing

> 10. To prevent moisture from inside the building penetrating a
> wall and condensing inside of it, a sheet material -- usually
> 6-mil (0.15 mm) polyethylene -- is installed between the
> interior finish and the studs, providing an air seal. What is
> this layer called?

Moisture barrier

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<tvkc2b$1mt35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=rec.games.trivia#5135

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:28:24 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:28 UTC

On 3/23/23 17:07, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?
>
> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It
>
> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

the Satanic Verses

> 2. And speaking of religion... William Tyndale's edition of the
> Bible was burned in 1526, but this wasn't enough to stop him,
> so in 1536 he too was publicly burned. What was it about
> his version of the Bible that was so horrible it led to both
> punishments?

published in English instead of Latin

> 3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
> novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
> in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
> were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
> ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
> alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
> documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
> particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
> that something never happened. What's the term?
>
> 4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
> of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
> burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
> Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
> because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
> second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
> Name it.

Tropic of Cancer

> 5. This man, who should be near and dear to our hearts (though
> not for any reason described here), promoted the burning of
> non-Catholic literature, especially the Jewish Talmud and Arabic
> books, after the final defeat of the Moors at Granada in 1492.

Torquemada

(I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition)

> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

fireman

> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

Hitler

> 8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
> But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
> after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
> of the United States is from Texas"?

Dixie Chicks

> 9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
> burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
> in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
> "Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
> being used to hide these messages?

back masking

> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

That the Beatles were bigger than Jesus

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction
>
> The following are some questions based on CMHC's best-selling
> "Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" booklet. (I suspect
> someone was desperate for an idea for a Canadiana round...)
>
> *Note*: I am not checking for a newer version of this booklet.
> Only answers that were correct in the original game will be
> accepted.
>
> 1. Name the concrete strip poured below a foundation wall to
> increase the area of load-bearing soil for the wall.
>
> 2. A wood member is bolted to the top of a foundation wall to
> provide bearing and connection for a wood-frame floor or a wall.
> What is this member called?
>
> 3. Name the vertical structural members in a wood frame wall.
> They are usually 2×4's or 2×6's (38×89 or 38×140 mm).

stud

> 4. Name the horizontal structural members usually spaced at
> 16" or 24" (400 or 600 mm) on centers.
>
> 5. Name the sloping wood members which make up a roof structure.
>
> 6. Any openings in stud walls require supports for the part of
> the wall above them, and loads transmitted through it. What
> are these supports called?
>
> 7. In contemporary suburban homes, roofs are often made up of a
> number of smaller sections. Usually prefabricated and often
> in a W configuration, these assemblies are called what?
>
> 8. Exterior walls in most suburban homes consist of an insulated
> wood-stud wall with a single wythe of masonry 3½" (90 mm)
> thick tied to it, then a 1" (25 mm) air space. What is this
> type of wall called?

wood-frame

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: burnings and wood

<XnsAFD37DBD3634FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5137&group=rec.games.trivia#5137

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:21:38 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:21 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Yanokovich
> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen
> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It
>
> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

The Satanic Verses (If I've botched the title, blame it on that I had
to translate it from the Swedish name.)
> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

Fire fighter
> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

Adolf Hitler
> 8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
> But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
> after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
> of the United States is from Texas"?

Dixie Chicks
> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

Beatles more popular than Jesus Christ

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction

Hm, I think I will stop reading right there.

RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: burnings and wood

<f8OdnX_WOsgTgbz5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5138&group=rec.games.trivia#5138

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: burnings and wood
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 04:33:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 04:33 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Battling mass unrest against his rule, Ukraine's president faced
> demands from the opposition this week for a constitutional
> change that would seriously curtail his powers. Who is he?

Viktor Yanukovych. Erland got this.

It was less than 2 weeks after the original game that the Ukrainian
legislature voted 328-0 to remove him from office. Putin's government
in Russia supported him and went to war against Ukraine.

> 2. The US Federal Reserve made a historic appointment this week
> when it named a female chair. What is her name?

Janet Yellen. Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland got this.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - If You Don't Like It, Burn It

> 1. The 1988 publication of this novel provoked angry demonstrations
> and riots around the world by followers of Islam, including
> book-burnings in the English cities of Bolton and Bradford,
> and firebombings of 5 British and 2 California bookstores.
> What novel?

"The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie. 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 2. And speaking of religion... William Tyndale's edition of the
> Bible was burned in 1526, but this wasn't enough to stop him,
> so in 1536 he too was publicly burned. What was it about
> his version of the Bible that was so horrible it led to both
> punishments?

It was in English. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This term was invented by George Orwell in his dystopian
> novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" as the nickname for the chutes
> in the Ministry of Truth down which all inconvenient documents
> were sent to be to totally incinerated such that "not even the
> ash remains". Now it may be used for any mechanism for the
> alteration or disappearance of inconvenient or embarrassing
> documents, photographs, transcripts, or other records,
> particularly as part of an attempt to give the impression
> that something never happened. What's the term?

Memory hole. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. On 1959-10-03, in the Ontario city of Ft. William (now part
> of Thunder Bay), over 700 copies of this British book were
> burned at the mayor's behest in order to avoid running afoul of
> Canada's newly passed obscenity law. Despite (or more likely
> because of) such activities, the book ended up being ranked the
> second-best-selling book in Canada for the second half of 1959.
> Name it.

"Lady Chatterley's Lover", by D.H. Lawrence, originally published
in 1928. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. This man, who should be near and dear to our hearts (though

Because, as you know from Robert J. Sawyer's 1990 novel "Golden
Fleece", one of the Canadian Inquisition's two divisions is named
after him (and still will be in 2177).

> not for any reason described here), promoted the burning of
> non-Catholic literature, especially the Jewish Talmud and Arabic
> books, after the final defeat of the Moors at Granada in 1492.

Tomas Torquemada, the first Grand Inquisitor of the Spanish
Inquisition. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel "Fahrenheit 451", the
> protagonist, Guy Montag, starts out as a member of this
> profession charged with burning the possessions of anyone caught
> possessing books. What name, which would undoubtedly appear
> ironic to the reader, was used for this profession in the book?

Fireman. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The night of 1933-05-10 has gone down as one of the most
> ominous mass book-burnings of all time. Upward of 25,000
> volumes were burned. Who was behind these book-burnings?

Specifically it was the German Students Union, but any reference to
the Nazi regime was acceptable. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Okay, the remaining questions aren't actually about literature.
> But anyway, in 2003, which musical group's records were burned
> after they declared that they were "ashamed that the President
> of the United States is from Texas"?

The Dixie Chicks. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 9. In 1982, a youth minister in North Carolina led a group in
> burning albums and cassettes of various popular artists,
> in an attempt to destroy the purported hidden messages in
> "Satan's records". What technique did the minister claim was
> being used to hide these messages?

They were recorded backwards ("backward masking"). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. This claim made by John Lennon led to public burnings of
> Beatles records and memorabilia in August 1966. What was
> Lennon's controversial statement?

"We're more popular than Jesus." (I accepted "bigger" as having
that meaning.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.
3 for Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction

> The following are some questions based on CMHC's best-selling
> "Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" booklet. (I suspect
> someone was desperate for an idea for a Canadiana round...)

> *Note*: I am not checking for a newer version of this booklet.
> Only answers that were correct in the original game will be
> accepted.

> 1. Name the concrete strip poured below a foundation wall to
> increase the area of load-bearing soil for the wall.

A footing.

> 2. A wood member is bolted to the top of a foundation wall to
> provide bearing and connection for a wood-frame floor or a wall.
> What is this member called?

Sill (plate). 4 for Pete.

> 3. Name the vertical structural members in a wood frame wall.
> They are usually 2×4's or 2×6's (38×89 or 38×140 mm).

Studs. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Name the horizontal structural members usually spaced at
> 16" or 24" (400 or 600 mm) on centers.

Joists.

> 5. Name the sloping wood members which make up a roof structure.

Rafters.

> 6. Any openings in stud walls require supports for the part of
> the wall above them, and loads transmitted through it. What
> are these supports called?

Lintels or headers.

> 7. In contemporary suburban homes, roofs are often made up of a
> number of smaller sections. Usually prefabricated and often
> in a W configuration, these assemblies are called what?

Roof trusses.

> 8. Exterior walls in most suburban homes consist of an insulated
> wood-stud wall with a single wythe of masonry 3½" (90 mm)
> thick tied to it, then a 1" (25 mm) air space. What is this
> type of wall called?

Masonry (or brick) veneer.

> 9. On the exterior side of an exterior wood-stud wall or roof is
> a layer of plywood or some similar manufactured wood product
> such as oriented strand board. What is this layer called?

Sheathing. 4 for Pete.

> 10. To prevent moisture from inside the building penetrating a
> wall and condensing inside of it, a sheet material -- usually
> 6-mil (0.15 mm) polyethylene -- is installed between the
> interior finish and the studs, providing an air seal. What is
> this layer called?

Vapor barrier. I accepted "moisture barrier". 4 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Can
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 40
Dan Tilque 32 4 36
Pete Gayde 19 12 31
Dan Blum 24 4 28
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 16

--
Mark Brader | "Reality aside, we would like to deploy a methodology
msb@vex.net | for how Rooter might behave in theory."