Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: indigenes, bones
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <wt2cnc28bLMAcLn5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 02:03:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 02:03 UTC

Again I forgot to start a new thread. Sorry. Please post your

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - Indigenous Peoples

Please see the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-7/people.jpg

(No, I don't know how the mapmakers decided which national borders
to show.)

We give you the name of an indigenous people or group, and you
tell us which letter on the map coincides with a typical part of
their geographical range.

1. Sami.
2. !Kung.
3. Pygmies.
4. Berbers.
5. Nubians.
6. Marsh Arabs.
7. Kanaka Maoli.
8. Uyghurs ["WEE-gurz"].
9. Rapanui (or Rapa Nui).
10. Amerindians. Note: while this term may have been originally
coined to have a wider meaning, today it is typically used to
refer to the indigenous peoples of a smaller, more specific
range. We're looking for this narrower usage.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Skull and Bones... or Backbones, Anyway

This is a round about the human spine, with a nod to the skull
and related structures.

1. The spine consists of 24 articulating vertebrae. How many of
these are cervical vertebrae, making up the neck?

2. There are 12 vertebrae which have ribs more or less attached.
What are they called?

3. And the remaining vertebrae are called what?

4. Next below the <answer 3> are 5 fused bones known collectively
as what?

5. Between each vertebra and the next is an intervertebral disk.
What is it called when one of these is injured and forced out
of position?

6. What congenital condition results in a sideways curvature of
the spine?

7. What is CSF short for? This is the liquid that surrounds the
spinal cord and the brain, and may be sometimes "tapped into"
(with a spinal tap) to test for disease.

8. The spinal cord and the CSF run through a set of openings in
the vertebrae, collectively called what?

9. What's the name of the semi-rigid, zigzag-shaped structures
that join the bones of the skull?

10. The protective membranes of the brain and spinal column,
containing the CSF, may become the site of life-threatening
inflammation caused by infection by viruses or baceteria.
What are these membranes collectively known as?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
msb@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: indigenes, bones

<u047bv$tl7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5150&group=rec.games.trivia#5150

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: indigenes, bones
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 07:46:20 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:46 UTC

7

> 2. There are 12 vertebrae which have ribs more or less attached.
> What are they called?
>
> 3. And the remaining vertebrae are called what?
>
> 4. Next below the <answer 3> are 5 fused bones known collectively
> as what?

coccyx

> 5. Between each vertebra and the next is an intervertebral disk.
> What is it called when one of these is injured and forced out
> of position?

slipped disk

> 6. What congenital condition results in a sideways curvature of
> the spine?
>
> 7. What is CSF short for? This is the liquid that surrounds the
> spinal cord and the brain, and may be sometimes "tapped into"
> (with a spinal tap) to test for disease.

cerebral-spinal fluid

> 8. The spinal cord and the CSF run through a set of openings in
> the vertebrae, collectively called what?
>
> 9. What's the name of the semi-rigid, zigzag-shaped structures
> that join the bones of the skull?
>
> 10. The protective membranes of the brain and spinal column,
> containing the CSF, may become the site of life-threatening
> inflammation caused by infection by viruses or baceteria.
> What are these membranes collectively known as?

blood-brain barrier

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: indigenes, bones

<u053ej$k6s$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5152&group=rec.games.trivia#5152

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:45:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:45 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - Indigenous Peoples

> 1. Sami.

> 2. !Kung.

D; A

> 3. Pygmies.

A; D

> 4. Berbers.

> 5. Nubians.

> 6. Marsh Arabs.

> 7. Kanaka Maoli.

C; N

> 8. Uyghurs ["WEE-gurz"].

> 9. Rapanui (or Rapa Nui).

> 10. Amerindians. Note: while this term may have been originally
> coined to have a wider meaning, today it is typically used to
> refer to the indigenous peoples of a smaller, more specific
> range. We're looking for this narrower usage.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Skull and Bones... or Backbones, Anyway

> 1. The spine consists of 24 articulating vertebrae. How many of
> these are cervical vertebrae, making up the neck?

7

> 4. Next below the <answer 3> are 5 fused bones known collectively
> as what?

coccyx

> 5. Between each vertebra and the next is an intervertebral disk.
> What is it called when one of these is injured and forced out
> of position?

slipped disc

> 6. What congenital condition results in a sideways curvature of
> the spine?

scoliosis

> 7. What is CSF short for? This is the liquid that surrounds the
> spinal cord and the brain, and may be sometimes "tapped into"
> (with a spinal tap) to test for disease.

cerebrospinal fluid

> 9. What's the name of the semi-rigid, zigzag-shaped structures
> that join the bones of the skull?

sutures

> 10. The protective membranes of the brain and spinal column,
> containing the CSF, may become the site of life-threatening
> inflammation caused by infection by viruses or baceteria.
> What are these membranes collectively known as?

meninges

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: indigenes, bones

<DCadnUUUpaSFa7X5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5153&group=rec.games.trivia#5153

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: indigenes, bones
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 03:27:20 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 03:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - Indigenous Peoples

> Please see the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-7/people.jpg

> (No, I don't know how the mapmakers decided which national borders
> to show.)

> We give you the name of an indigenous people or group, and you
> tell us which letter on the map coincides with a typical part of
> their geographical range.

In the original game, not only were the letters in the random layout
that you see on the map, but there was a second R and a second H
where you're seeing T and U! This made it a bit tricky for players
trying to mark the map to show which letters had already been used.

Still, this was the second-easiest round in the original game,
and the fourth-easiest of the entire season.

> 1. Sami.

R. (Otherwise known as Lapps or Laplanders.) 4 for everyone --
Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 2. !Kung.

D. (The "Bushmen of the Kalahari". These are the people featured
in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Pygmies.

A. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Berbers.

I. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Nubians.

O. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Marsh Arabs.

Q. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Kanaka Maoli.

B. (Otherwise known as Hawaiians.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Uyghurs ["WEE-gurz"].

E. (They've been in the news in the """last couple of years""" as
the source of China's "homegrown" terrorist problem.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. Rapanui (or Rapa Nui).

F. (Otherwise known as Easter Islanders. No, they didn't go
completely extinct.) 4 for everyone.

> 10. Amerindians. Note: while this term may have been originally
> coined to have a wider meaning, today it is typically used to
> refer to the indigenous peoples of a smaller, more specific
> range. We're looking for this narrower usage.

H. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Skull and Bones... or Backbones, Anyway

> This is a round about the human spine, with a nod to the skull
> and related structures.

> 1. The spine consists of 24 articulating vertebrae. How many of
> these are cervical vertebrae, making up the neck?

7. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

This answer is also correct for most other species of mammals,
including mice and giraffes!

> 2. There are 12 vertebrae which have ribs more or less attached.
> What are they called?

Thoracic vertebrae.

> 3. And the remaining vertebrae are called what?

Lumbar vertebrae. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Next below the <answer 3> are 5 fused bones known collectively
> as what?

The sacrum. (Not the coccyx or tailbone, which is another set of
fused bones below that.)

> 5. Between each vertebra and the next is an intervertebral disk.
> What is it called when one of these is injured and forced out
> of position?

A ruptured, herniated, or colloquially "slipped" disk. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

A bulging disk is different; see
http://www.mayoclinic.org/anykey/faq-20058428

> 6. What congenital condition results in a sideways curvature of
> the spine?

Scoliosis. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

In 2014 someone answered hunchback. This is not the same thing;
it's a forward curvature, also called kyphosis. When I posted these
answers in 2014, I noted that the distinction had come up in the
news that same day:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/health/richard-iii-spine-scoliosis/

and that the signature quote I used on the posting, which I have
selected manually to use this time, had come up at random!

This time someone tried "stenosis". That means a narrowing.

> 7. What is CSF short for? This is the liquid that surrounds the
> spinal cord and the brain, and may be sometimes "tapped into"
> (with a spinal tap) to test for disease.

Cerebrospinal fluid. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 8. The spinal cord and the CSF run through a set of openings in
> the vertebrae, collectively called what?

The spinal canal.

> 9. What's the name of the semi-rigid, zigzag-shaped structures
> that join the bones of the skull?

Sutures. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. The protective membranes of the brain and spinal column,
> containing the CSF, may become the site of life-threatening
> inflammation caused by infection by viruses or baceteria.
> What are these membranes collectively known as?

Meninges. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

There are three of them, individually called the dura mater, the
arachnoid mater or just arachnoid, and the pia mater.

The blood-brain barrier is something different.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Can Spo His Geo Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 16 36 39 20 135