It's gonna be alright, It's almost midnight, And I've got two more bottles of wine.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsgerson
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsJoshua Kreitzer
+* RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader
|+- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee thingsErland Sommarskog
|`* RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee thingsDan Tilque
| `* RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader
|  `- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader
`* RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader
 `- RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee thingsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<kWednQCtQJDslLD5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5161&group=rec.games.trivia#5161

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 05:38:57 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 05:38 UTC

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because, he said, it
wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

2. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
at high risk of suffering from what condition?

* Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy

1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?

3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?

4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
of particles are observed at SNOLAB?

5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
space, in 1961?

6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
in space?

7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
nadir?

8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.

9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

* Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee

Here are pictures of bees and bee products in popular culture,
real or fictional. Please remember that there are different uses
of the word "bee".

See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf

As usual, for this medium I'll rearrange the questions in order by
picture number. There were 6 decoys; identify their subjects as
well if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. (decoy) Name the movie.
2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.
3. Name the character from "The Simpsons".
4. (decoy) Name the song.
5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.
6. (decoy) Name the movie.
7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
Wannabes".
8. Name the movie.
9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.
10. (decoy) Name the mammal.
11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.
12. Name the cereal.
13. Name the movie.
14. Name the TV show.
15. (decoy) Name the movie.
16. Name the movie.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
msb@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<XnsAFDDCDB8215CFYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5163&group=rec.games.trivia#5163

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 20:13:22 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 18:13 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy
>
> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Sirius
> 4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
> of particles are observed at SNOLAB?

Small neutrinos
> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Gagarin
> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?

Laika

> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?

Zenit
> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

Andromeda
> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

Brian May

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee
> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

Bee Gees

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<u0krnv$fak$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5164&group=rec.games.trivia#5164

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:12:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:12 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy

> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Sirius

> 2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
> of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
> pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
> 14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?

Percival Lowell

> 3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
> science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
> a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?

Carl Sagan

> 4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
> of particles are observed at SNOLAB?

neutrinos

> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Yuri Gagarin

> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?

Laika

> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?

zenith

> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.

the corona around a total solar eclipse

> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

Andromeda

> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

Brian May

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee

> See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf

> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

Bee Gees

> 5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.

The X-Files

> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".

Mean Girls

> 8. Name the movie.

Bee Movie

> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.

The Secret Life of Bees

> 12. Name the cereal.

Honey Nut Cheerios

> 13. Name the movie.

Invasion of the Bee Women

> 16. Name the movie.

The Wicker Man

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<WNudnQVLI7wlubP5nZ2dnZeNn_Vg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5165&group=rec.games.trivia#5165

From: gerson@bigpond.net.au (gerson)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 11:48:30 +1000
 by: gerson - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 01:48 UTC

"Mark Brader" wrote in message news:kWednQCtQJDslLD5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because, he said, it
wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

2. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
at high risk of suffering from what condition?

* Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy

1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?
Sirius

2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?
Schiaparelli

3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?
Carl Sagan

4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
of particles are observed at SNOLAB?
Neutrons

5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
space, in 1961?
John Glenn

6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
in space?
Laika

7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
nadir?
Zenith

8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.
Total eclipse of the sun by the moon

9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?
Andromeda

10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?
Cliff Richard

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
msb@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<u0litr$7uf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5166&group=rec.games.trivia#5166

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 21:47:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 04:47 UTC

On 4/4/23 22:38, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because, he said, it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

sports bars

> 2. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy
>
> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Sirius

> 2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
> of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
> pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
> 14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?

Percival Lowell

> 3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
> science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
> a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?

Carl Sagan

> 4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
> of particles are observed at SNOLAB?

neutrinos

> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Gagarin

> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?

Laika

> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?

zenith

> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.

annular eclipse of the sun

> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

Andromeda Galaxy

> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee
>
> Here are pictures of bees and bee products in popular culture,
> real or fictional. Please remember that there are different uses
> of the word "bee".
>
> See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf
>
> As usual, for this medium I'll rearrange the questions in order by
> picture number. There were 6 decoys; identify their subjects as
> well if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. (decoy) Name the movie.
> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

Bee Gees

> 3. Name the character from "The Simpsons".

Milhouse

> 4. (decoy) Name the song.
> 5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.
> 6. (decoy) Name the movie.
> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".
> 8. Name the movie.
> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.
> 10. (decoy) Name the mammal.

honey badger

> 11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.
> 12. Name the cereal.

Honey Nut Cheerios

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<3db00fb4-804b-46f6-b972-806389c9e795n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5167&group=rec.games.trivia#5167

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 12:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 19:42 UTC

On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 1:39:06 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy
>
> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Sirius
> 2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
> of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
> pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
> 14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?

Lowell

> 3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
> science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
> a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?

Sagan
> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Gagarin

> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?

Laika

> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?

zenith

> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

Andromeda

> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

Brian May

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee
>
> Here are pictures of bees and bee products in popular culture,
> real or fictional. Please remember that there are different uses
> of the word "bee".
>
> See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf
>
> 1. (decoy) Name the movie.

"Akeelah and the Bee"

> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

The Bee Gees;
or an imitation thereof

> 3. Name the character from "The Simpsons".

Bumblebee Man

> 4. (decoy) Name the song.

"No Rain"
> 6. (decoy) Name the movie.

"Ulee's Gold"

> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".

"Mean Girls"
> 8. Name the movie.

"Bee Movie"
> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.

"The Secret Life of Bees"

> 10. (decoy) Name the mammal.

honey badger
> 11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.

John Belushi

> 12. Name the cereal.

Honey Nut Cheerios

> 13. Name the movie.

"Invasion of the Bee Girls"

> 16. Name the movie.

"The Wicker Man"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

<dgidnUK-hIVrZ635nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5168&group=rec.games.trivia#5168

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 05:26:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 05:26 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> > see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> > the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because, he said, it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?

Nightclubs.

> 2. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?

Depression.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy

> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Sirius or Alpha Canis Majoris (also accepting the Dog Star).
4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, John, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
> of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
> pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
> 14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?

Percival Lowell. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
> science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
> a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?

Carl Sagan. 4 for Dan Blum, John, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
> of particles are observed at SNOLAB?

N is for Neutrinos. (And S is for Sudbury; there is no such thing as
a "small neutrino". And a neutron is a different sort of particle.)
4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Yuri Gagarin. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

As Stephen Perry said in 2014, Gagarin's flight was not actually
a complete orbit -- but that's *if* you count orbits relative to the
Earth's (rotating) surface. As I pointed out in response, this is
not the correct way to count them, but I still would probably have
also accepted Ghermann Titov anyway (on his flight, later in 1961,
he orbited the Earth for over 25 hours) -- if anybody had named him.

> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?

Laika (a Russian dog, in Sputnik II in 1957). 4 for everyone.

> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?

The zenith. 4 for everyone.

> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.

A total solar eclipse. 4 for John.

Still more specifically, these are seen at two moments during
that phenomenon: when totality is about to begin and when it has
just ended. Consequently only a small part of the photosphere
(not the corona!) is visible.

Although you often see it spelled "Bailey's" beads, the man's name
was in fact Baily.

> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

M31, NGC 224, the Great Galaxy in Andromeda, or simply the Andromeda
Galaxy. I accepted "Andromeda", even though that word by itself
does not properly name the galaxy, because "galaxy" appeared in
the question. 4 for everyone.

> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

Brian May (of Queen). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee

> Here are pictures of bees and bee products in popular culture,
> real or fictional. Please remember that there are different uses
> of the word "bee".

> See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf

> As usual, for this medium I'll rearrange the questions in order by
> picture number. There were 6 decoys; identify their subjects as
> well if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. (decoy) Name the movie.

"Akeelah and the Bee" (2006; the title refers to a spelling bee).
Joshua got this.

> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

Bee Gees. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 3. Name the character from "The Simpsons".

Bumblebee Man. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. (decoy) Name the song.

"No Rain". Joshua got this.

> 5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.

"The X-Files". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. (decoy) Name the movie.

"Ulee's Gold" (1997; the title refers to honey). Joshua got this.

> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".

"Mean Girls" (2004). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Name the movie.

"Bee Movie" (2007). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.

"The Secret Life of Bees" (2008). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. (decoy) Name the mammal.

Honey badger. On the right it's eating a honeycomb with a dead
cobra alongside. Dan Tilque and Joshua got this.

> 11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.

John Belushi (on "Saturday Night Live"). Joshua got this.

> 12. Name the cereal.

Honey Nut Cheerios. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 13. Name the movie.

"Invasion of the Bee Girls" (1973). 4 for Joshua.

I edited the image to make this a bit harder; in the original game
only the word "Bee" was masked out of the title!

> 14. Name the TV show.

"Breaking Bad".

> 15. (decoy) Name the movie.

"The Wasp Woman" (1959), also titled "Insect Woman" or "The Bee Girl".

> 16. Name the movie.

"The Wicker Man" (2006, but you did not have to specify).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

I'm pleased to say I have never seen this movie -- the original
version from 1973 was unpleasant enough -- but I find mentions
on the Net of an alternate ending having been provided for the
DVD release, and as far as I can tell, this shot is from that,
and not the actual movie. Apologies if that's actually the case.
There's certainly nothing like it in the 1973 version.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 64
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Dan Tilque 32 8 40
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 28
John Gerson 24 0 24

--
Mark Brader | "The occasional accidents had been much overemphasized,
Toronto | and later investigations ... revealed that nearly 90%

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<kIOdnWMrB7-LZq35nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5169&group=rec.games.trivia#5169

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 05:26:46 +0000
> [...]

> 4. (decoy) Name the song.
> 5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.
> 6. (decoy) Name the movie.
> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".
> 8. Name the movie.
> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.
> 10. (decoy) Name the mammal.
> 11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.
> 12. Name the cereal.
> 13. Name the movie.
> 14. Name the TV show.
> 15. (decoy) Name the movie.
> 16. Name the movie.
>
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
> msb@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: astronomy, bee things

<qUKdndthI9iyYa35nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5171&group=rec.games.trivia#5171

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 05:31:27 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 05:31 UTC

Apologies for the accidental repost there.
--
Mark Brader | "If one were to believe the bulk of our mail, one
Toronto | would conclude that about every part of our anatomy

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

<XnsAFE1752AE470DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5173&group=rec.games.trivia#5173

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 11:31:04 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 09:31 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> (And S is for Sudbury; there is no such thing as
> a "small neutrino".

Come on, have you ever seen a *big* neutrino? All neutrinos are small!

(No, that is not a real protest. "Small neutrino" came to my mind and
it was so silly that I could not resist from entering it.)

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

<u0vlr7$1tn5e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5178&group=rec.games.trivia#5178

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:39:01 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 00:39 UTC

On 4/7/23 22:26, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
>> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
>> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.
>
> A total solar eclipse. 4 for John.

Challenge on this answer. While Baily's beads do appear during total
eclipses, they also appear during annular eclipses. In fact, one page
(link below) says that Baily described them after seeing an annular
eclipse. The Wikipage on Baily's Beads says that the Diamond Ring Effect
shows up on both kinds of eclipses. The Diamond Ring Effect is viewing
the last Baily's bead with some light showing all the way around the
moon. So annular eclipse should also be a valid answer.

https://eclipsesoundscapes.org/annular-eclipse-features/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily%27s_beads

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

<IQ-dnX3L0MNb6K75nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5179&group=rec.games.trivia#5179

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 02:34:46 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 02:34 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
>>> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.

>> A total solar eclipse. 4 for John.

>> Still more specifically, these are seen at two moments during
>> that phenomenon: when totality is about to begin and when it has
>> just ended.

Dan Tilque:
> Challenge on this answer. While Baily's beads do appear during total
> eclipses, they also appear during annular eclipses...

Hmm, you're right -- they would similarly appear at the start and end
of annularity. Sorry about that. 4 for Dan Tilque also.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 64
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Dan Tilque 36 8 44
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 28
John Gerson 24 0 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
Irving Thalberg's advice on GONE WITH THE WIND:

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: astronomy, bee things

<pmydnbsJct5pJan5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5181&group=rec.games.trivia#5181

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:33:40 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:33 UTC

Pete Gayde:
> According to my SeaMonkey app, I sent the following reply at 1:00pm on
> 4/7/2023. Apparently it hasn't arrived yet.

Since this was posted in the thread for the following set of
questions, I didn't look at it (and notice that it had the right
Subject line for *this* thread) until I was going to score that one.
I am accepting that Pete somehow had technical difficulties.

On Round 2, Pete scores 2 on question #1, and 4 each on #5, #9, and #10.
On Round 3, Pete scores 4 each on #2, #5, and #7, and he got decoy #6.

Scores, if there are *now* no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 64
Dan Tilque 36 8 44
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 28
Pete Gayde 14 12 26
John Gerson 24 0 24
--
Mark Brader | "I could be wrong."
Toronto | "Have you ever said that and actually meant it?"