A clever prophet makes sure of the event first.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 anwers: queens, nat'l/state sports

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sportsMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sportsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sportsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sportsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sportsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 anwers: queens, nat'l/state sportsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports

<IjudnZk-ZuFoUKH5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=rec.games.trivia#5201

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 04:41:25 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 04:41 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. This actor, director, and writer specializing in comedy died
of an autoimmune disease on Monday. Name him.

2. The bitcoin world was shaken on Tuesday when what Tokyo-based
exchange went under?

* Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today

Reminder of terminology: "Queen" can mean either a *queen consort*,
who is the wife of the reigning king; or a *queen dowager*, his
widow; or a *queen regnant*, who is the monarch in her own right.

The first 4 questions are about British monarchs, and when we ask
for a name, if it's not unique then you also need to give the number
(or some other unambiguous designation).

1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.

2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.

3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
the throne?

5. There """are now 10""" hereditary monarchies in Europe.
How many are """currently""" ruled by a queen regnant?

From here on, where we ask for a name, you don't need to give a number.
Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you have finished.
with #5.

6. Guvf Rhebcrna zbanepu noqvpngrq gur guebar va 2013, nf ure
bja zbgure unq qbar 23 lrnef rneyvre. Ure pbaarpgvba gb Pnanqn
jnf sbetrq qhevat gur jne lrnef jura fur nggraqrq choyvp fpubby
va Bggnjn. Tvir ure anzr *naq* pbhagel.

7. Gur pheerag dhrra bs Qraznex vf gur pbhagel'f svefg srznyr
zbanepu fvapr gur 14gu praghel, naq fur funerf n anzr jvgu
gung cerqrprffbe. Jub vf fur?

8. Which queen, with her husband Akhenaton, led a change from
polytheism to monotheism in ancient Egypt?

9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
Who was she?

10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
she then?

* Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports

1. Kabaddi is a team wrestling sport with ancient origins, popular
in South Asia, Iran, and among the global south Asian diaspora.
What country made it their official national sport in 1972?
Hint: it's not India.

2. Name """the only official state sport""" of North Carolina,
proclaimed in 2011.

3. This sport originated among slaves who disguised their martial
arts practice with dance moves and music. It officially became
Brazil's national sport in 1972. Name it.

4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.

5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
European countries, it's often referred to as the national
summer sport of what nation?

6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

7. The Afghani game buzkashi (or kokpar) resembles horseball,
or polo without the mallets. But what is used instead of a ball?

8. Jereed is a traditional Turkish game played by teams of players
on horseback carrying sticks resembling small javelins with
rounded tips. Players attempt to score points by throwing
the sticks. Where do they aim them?

9. In the official state individual sport of Maryland, you also
need a horse, and a much bigger stick. Although generally
thought of as European, it's been practised in Maryland for
centuries, and in 1962 became the first official sport of any
US state. Name it.

10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
called a "derby".

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
pne enpvat sbe nal dhrfgvba, jr arrq n zber fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr
tb onpx naq fhccyl bar.

--
Mark Brader | The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance.
Toronto | He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him.
| given to administer we presently imagine we own. -- Wells

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports

<7c9a39ec-175d-43c4-a311-b21476a122fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5202&group=rec.games.trivia#5202

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 21:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 04:50 UTC

On Sunday, April 16, 2023 at 11:41:30 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today
>
> Reminder of terminology: "Queen" can mean either a *queen consort*,
> who is the wife of the reigning king; or a *queen dowager*, his
> widow; or a *queen regnant*, who is the monarch in her own right.
>
> The first 4 questions are about British monarchs, and when we ask
> for a name, if it's not unique then you also need to give the number
> (or some other unambiguous designation).
>
> 1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
> became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.

Mary I

> 2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
> George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
> also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.

Anne

> 3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
> she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
> until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
> and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

Lady Jane Grey

> 4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
> monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
> the throne?

64 years

> 5. There """are now 10""" hereditary monarchies in Europe.
> How many are """currently""" ruled by a queen regnant?

1; 0

> From here on, where we ask for a name, you don't need to give a number.
> Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you have finished.
> with #5.
>
> 6. Guvf Rhebcrna zbanepu noqvpngrq gur guebar va 2013, nf ure
> bja zbgure unq qbar 23 lrnef rneyvre. Ure pbaarpgvba gb Pnanqn
> jnf sbetrq qhevat gur jne lrnef jura fur nggraqrq choyvp fpubby
> va Bggnjn. Tvir ure anzr *naq* pbhagel.

Beatrix of the Netherlands; Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

> 7. Gur pheerag dhrra bs Qraznex vf gur pbhagel'f svefg srznyr
> zbanepu fvapr gur 14gu praghel, naq fur funerf n anzr jvgu
> gung cerqrprffbe. Jub vf fur?

Margarethe

> 8. Which queen, with her husband Akhenaton, led a change from
> polytheism to monotheism in ancient Egypt?

Nefertiti

> 9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
> Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
> despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
> Who was she?

Isabella

> 10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
> cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
> she then?

15; 14

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports
>
> 1. Kabaddi is a team wrestling sport with ancient origins, popular
> in South Asia, Iran, and among the global south Asian diaspora.
> What country made it their official national sport in 1972?
> Hint: it's not India.

Pakistan; Afghanistan

> 2. Name """the only official state sport""" of North Carolina,
> proclaimed in 2011.

basketball

> 3. This sport originated among slaves who disguised their martial
> arts practice with dance moves and music. It officially became
> Brazil's national sport in 1972. Name it.

candomble

> 4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
> ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
> those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
> proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.

bandy

> 5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
> smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
> field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
> ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
> European countries, it's often referred to as the national
> summer sport of what nation?

Finland

> 6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
> carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
> a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

hurley

> 7. The Afghani game buzkashi (or kokpar) resembles horseball,
> or polo without the mallets. But what is used instead of a ball?

animal caracass

> 9. In the official state individual sport of Maryland, you also
> need a horse, and a much bigger stick. Although generally
> thought of as European, it's been practised in Maryland for
> centuries, and in 1962 became the first official sport of any
> US state. Name it.

jousting

> 10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
> hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
> and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
> But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
> apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
> official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
> have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
> called a "derby".

curling

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports

<u1jp0o$33b9b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5203&group=rec.games.trivia#5203

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:35:50 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:35 UTC

On 4/16/23 21:41, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. This actor, director, and writer specializing in comedy died
> of an autoimmune disease on Monday. Name him.
>
> 2. The bitcoin world was shaken on Tuesday when what Tokyo-based
> exchange went under?

Mt Gox

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today
>
> Reminder of terminology: "Queen" can mean either a *queen consort*,
> who is the wife of the reigning king; or a *queen dowager*, his
> widow; or a *queen regnant*, who is the monarch in her own right.
>
> The first 4 questions are about British monarchs, and when we ask
> for a name, if it's not unique then you also need to give the number
> (or some other unambiguous designation).
>
> 1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
> became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.

Mary I

> 2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
> George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
> also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.

Mary II

> 3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
> she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
> until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
> and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

Jane Grey

> 4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
> monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
> the throne?

72 years

3

> From here on, where we ask for a name, you don't need to give a number.
> Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you have finished.
> with #5.
>
> 6. Guvf Rhebcrna zbanepu noqvpngrq gur guebar va 2013, nf ure
> bja zbgure unq qbar 23 lrnef rneyvre. Ure pbaarpgvba gb Pnanqn
> jnf sbetrq qhevat gur jne lrnef jura fur nggraqrq choyvp fpubby
> va Bggnjn. Tvir ure anzr *naq* pbhagel.
>
> 7. Gur pheerag dhrra bs Qraznex vf gur pbhagel'f svefg srznyr
> zbanepu fvapr gur 14gu praghel, naq fur funerf n anzr jvgu
> gung cerqrprffbe. Jub vf fur?
>
> 8. Which queen, with her husband Akhenaton, led a change from
> polytheism to monotheism in ancient Egypt?

Nefertiti

> 9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
> Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
> despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
> Who was she?

Isabella

(and I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition)

> 10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
> cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
> she then?

15

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports
>
> 1. Kabaddi is a team wrestling sport with ancient origins, popular
> in South Asia, Iran, and among the global south Asian diaspora.
> What country made it their official national sport in 1972?
> Hint: it's not India.
>
> 2. Name """the only official state sport""" of North Carolina,
> proclaimed in 2011.

basketball

> 3. This sport originated among slaves who disguised their martial
> arts practice with dance moves and music. It officially became
> Brazil's national sport in 1972. Name it.

macarina

> 4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
> ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
> those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
> proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.
>
> 5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
> smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
> field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
> ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
> European countries, it's often referred to as the national
> summer sport of what nation?
>
> 6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
> carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
> a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

hurling

> 7. The Afghani game buzkashi (or kokpar) resembles horseball,
> or polo without the mallets. But what is used instead of a ball?
>
> 8. Jereed is a traditional Turkish game played by teams of players
> on horseback carrying sticks resembling small javelins with
> rounded tips. Players attempt to score points by throwing
> the sticks. Where do they aim them?
>
> 9. In the official state individual sport of Maryland, you also
> need a horse, and a much bigger stick. Although generally
> thought of as European, it's been practised in Maryland for
> centuries, and in 1962 became the first official sport of any
> US state. Name it.

jousting

> 10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
> hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
> and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
> But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
> apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
> official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
> have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
> called a "derby".

ice fishing

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports

<XnsAFEB9E6E4AF5AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5205&group=rec.games.trivia#5205

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:34:27 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today
> 1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
> became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.

Mary I
> 2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
> George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
> also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.

Anne
> 3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
> she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
> until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
> and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

Jabe Grey
> 4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
> monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
> the throne?

64
> 5. There """are now 10""" hereditary monarchies in Europe.
> How many are """currently""" ruled by a queen regnant?

1 (2023)

> 6. Guvf Rhebcrna zbanepu noqvpngrq gur guebar va 2013, nf ure
> bja zbgure unq qbar 23 lrnef rneyvre. Ure pbaarpgvba gb Pnanqn
> jnf sbetrq qhevat gur jne lrnef jura fur nggraqrq choyvp fpubby
> va Bggnjn. Tvir ure anzr *naq* pbhagel.

Beatrix of Netherlands
> 7. Gur pheerag dhrra bs Qraznex vf gur pbhagel'f svefg srznyr
> zbanepu fvapr gur 14gu praghel, naq fur funerf n anzr jvgu
> gung cerqrprffbe. Jub vf fur?

Margarthe

> 9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
> Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
> despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
> Who was she?

Isabella
> 10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
> cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
> she then?

16
> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports
> 4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
> ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
> those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
> proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.

Bandy
> 5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
> smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
> field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
> ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
> European countries, it's often referred to as the national
> summer sport of what nation?

Finland

> 6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
> carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
> a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

Hurling
> 10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
> hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
> and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
> But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
> apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
> official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
> have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
> called a "derby".

Horse racing

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: queens, nat'l/state sports

<u1qbkl$dj9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5206&group=rec.games.trivia#5206

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:30:29 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 03:30 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. This actor, director, and writer specializing in comedy died
> of an autoimmune disease on Monday. Name him.
>
> 2. The bitcoin world was shaken on Tuesday when what Tokyo-based
> exchange went under?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today
>
> Reminder of terminology: "Queen" can mean either a *queen consort*,
> who is the wife of the reigning king; or a *queen dowager*, his
> widow; or a *queen regnant*, who is the monarch in her own right.
>
> The first 4 questions are about British monarchs, and when we ask
> for a name, if it's not unique then you also need to give the number
> (or some other unambiguous designation).
>
> 1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
> became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.
>
> 2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
> George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
> also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.
>
> 3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
> she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
> until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
> and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

Mary, Queen of Scots

> 4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
> monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
> the throne?

65

> 5. There """are now 10""" hereditary monarchies in Europe.
> How many are """currently""" ruled by a queen regnant?

3; 4

> From here on, where we ask for a name, you don't need to give a number.
> Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you have finished.
> with #5.
>
> 6. Guvf Rhebcrna zbanepu noqvpngrq gur guebar va 2013, nf ure
> bja zbgure unq qbar 23 lrnef rneyvre. Ure pbaarpgvba gb Pnanqn
> jnf sbetrq qhevat gur jne lrnef jura fur nggraqrq choyvp fpubby
> va Bggnjn. Tvir ure anzr *naq* pbhagel.

Julianna of the Netherlands; Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

> 7. Gur pheerag dhrra bs Qraznex vf gur pbhagel'f svefg srznyr
> zbanepu fvapr gur 14gu praghel, naq fur funerf n anzr jvgu
> gung cerqrprffbe. Jub vf fur?
>
> 8. Which queen, with her husband Akhenaton, led a change from
> polytheism to monotheism in ancient Egypt?
>
> 9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
> Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
> despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
> Who was she?

Isabella

> 10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
> cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
> she then?

16; 18

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports
>
> 1. Kabaddi is a team wrestling sport with ancient origins, popular
> in South Asia, Iran, and among the global south Asian diaspora.
> What country made it their official national sport in 1972?
> Hint: it's not India.

Pakistan; Bangladesh

> 2. Name """the only official state sport""" of North Carolina,
> proclaimed in 2011.

Basketball

> 3. This sport originated among slaves who disguised their martial
> arts practice with dance moves and music. It officially became
> Brazil's national sport in 1972. Name it.
>
> 4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
> ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
> those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
> proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.
>
> 5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
> smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
> field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
> ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
> European countries, it's often referred to as the national
> summer sport of what nation?

Portugal; Italy

> 6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
> carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
> a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

Hurling

> 7. The Afghani game buzkashi (or kokpar) resembles horseball,
> or polo without the mallets. But what is used instead of a ball?

Goat's head

> 8. Jereed is a traditional Turkish game played by teams of players
> on horseback carrying sticks resembling small javelins with
> rounded tips. Players attempt to score points by throwing
> the sticks. Where do they aim them?
>
> 9. In the official state individual sport of Maryland, you also
> need a horse, and a much bigger stick. Although generally
> thought of as European, it's been practised in Maryland for
> centuries, and in 1962 became the first official sport of any
> US state. Name it.

Polo

> 10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
> hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
> and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
> But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
> apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
> official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
> have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
> called a "derby".

Ice fishing

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
> pne enpvat sbe nal dhrfgvba, jr arrq n zber fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr
> tb onpx naq fhccyl bar.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 anwers: queens, nat'l/state sports

<W7-cneFYRcmXXd35nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5207&group=rec.games.trivia#5207

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 anwers: queens, nat'l/state sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:31:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:31 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. This actor, director, and writer specializing in comedy died
> of an autoimmune disease on Monday. Name him.

Harold Ramis.

> 2. The bitcoin world was shaken on Tuesday when what Tokyo-based
> exchange went under?

Mt. Gox. Dan got this.

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Queens of Yesterday and Today

> Reminder of terminology: "Queen" can mean either a *queen consort*,
> who is the wife of the reigning king; or a *queen dowager*, his
> widow; or a *queen regnant*, who is the monarch in her own right.

> The first 4 questions are about British monarchs, and when we ask
> for a name, if it's not unique then you also need to give the number
> (or some other unambiguous designation).

> 1. Who was was England's first undisputed queen regnant? She also
> became the queen of Spain, through her marriage to Philip II.

Mary I (Mary Tudor or Bloody Mary). 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Erland.

> 2. Which queen endured 17 pregnancies by her husband, Prince
> George of Denmark, but died with no surviving children? She was
> also the last British monarch of the House of Stuart.

Anne. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

Wikipedia says she miscarried 7 times, had 5 stillborn children,
and gave birth to 5 children who respectively lived 20 months,
8 months, 11 years, 2 hours, and a matter of minutes. One of the
miscarriages may have been of twins, and perhaps for this reason,
some sources indicate she had 18 pregnancies. Incidentally, two of
the five children born alive had the same name -- Mary.

> 3. This woman was a contended successor to Edward VI of England;
> she was considered the queen (by some) for no more than 9 days
> until the crown went to Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VIII),
> and was subsequently executed. Who was she?

Jane (Jane Grey). 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Erland.

> 4. """Queen Victoria""" had the longest reign of all British
> monarchs to date. Within 2 years, how long did she occupy
> the throne?

2014 answer: 63 years 216 days. 2023 answer: Queen Elizabeth II
reigned 70 years 214 days. Accepting 61 years 216 days to
65 years 216 days or 68 years 214 days to 72 years 214 days.
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan, Erland, and Pete.

> 5. There """are now 10""" hereditary monarchies in Europe.
> How many are """currently""" ruled by a queen regnant?

2014 answer: 2. 2023 answer: 1. (There are still 10.) 3 for Joshua
and Erland.

Belgium: King Philippe (still true).
Denmark: Queen Margrethe II (still true).
Liechtenstein: Prince Hans Adam II (still true).
Luxembourg: Grand Duke Henri (still true).
Monaco: Prince Albert II (still true).
Netherlands: King Willem-Alexander (still true).
Norway: King Harald V (still true).
Spain: in 2014 King Juan Carlos I, in 2023 King Felipe VI.
Sweden: King Carl XVI Gustaf (still true).
UK: in 2014 Queen Elizabeth II, in 2023 King Charles III.

> From here on, where we ask for a name, you don't need to give a number.
> Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you have finished.
> with #5.

> 6. This European monarch abdicated the throne in 2013, as her
> own mother had done 23 years earlier. Her connection to Canada
> was forged during the war years when she attended public school
> in Ottawa. Give her name *and* country.

Beatrix, Netherlands. 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. The current queen of Denmark is the country's first female
> monarch since the 14th century, and she shares a name with
> that predecessor. Who is she?

Margarethe II. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 8. Which queen, with her husband Akhenaton, led a change from
> polytheism to monotheism in ancient Egypt?

Nefertiti. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 9. With her husband, she sponsored the voyages of Christopher
> Columbus. She """has passed the first hurdle""" to sainthood,
> despite also being responsible for initiating the Inquisition.
> Who was she?

Isabella I (Spain). (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 10. Marie Antoinette was a teenage bride when she married her second
> cousin, the future King Louis XIV of France. How old was
> she then?

14. Hey, at least it was multiple-choice. 2 for Joshua.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - National and State Sports

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Kabaddi is a team wrestling sport with ancient origins, popular
> in South Asia, Iran, and among the global south Asian diaspora.
> What country made it their official national sport in 1972?
> Hint: it's not India.

Bangladesh. 2 for Pete.

> 2. Name """the only official state sport""" of North Carolina,
> proclaimed in 2011.

Stock car racing. (Still true.) "Stock car" or NASCAR was required.

> 3. This sport originated among slaves who disguised their martial
> arts practice with dance moves and music. It officially became
> Brazil's national sport in 1972. Name it.

Capoeira.

> 4. This game resembles hockey, but is played by teams of 11 on an
> ice surface the size of a soccer field, and the sticks resemble
> those used in field hockey. The IOC turned down Russia's
> proposal to include it in the 2014 Olympics. Name it.

Bandy. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 5. Pesäpallo is a bat-and-ball sport with rules adopted for
> smaller fields; for example, a ball hit over the back of the
> field that would be an automatic home run in baseball is a foul
> ball in pesäpallo. Although it's played in several northern
> European countries, it's often referred to as the national
> summer sport of what nation?

Finland. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 6. This Irish sport resembles lacrosse, but instead of webbing to
> carry the ball, the sticks have a curved, hard end something like
> a hockey, field hockey, or <answer 4> stick. Name the sport.

Hurling or (the women's version) camogie. The stick is called a
hurley; I scored that answer as almost correct. 4 for Dan, Erland,
and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. The Afghani game buzkashi (or kokpar) resembles horseball,
> or polo without the mallets. But what is used instead of a ball?

A dead goat or similar animal. I scored "goat's head" as almost
correct. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Pete.

> 8. Jereed is a traditional Turkish game played by teams of players
> on horseback carrying sticks resembling small javelins with
> rounded tips. Players attempt to score points by throwing
> the sticks. Where do they aim them?

At their opponents.

If the opponent is hit, the thrower gets a point; if he catches
the stick, he gets the point. It's dodgeball with javelins!
Oh, and if the stick hits the horse, the thrower loses a point.

> 9. In the official state individual sport of Maryland, you also
> need a horse, and a much bigger stick. Although generally
> thought of as European, it's been practised in Maryland for
> centuries, and in 1962 became the first official sport of any
> US state. Name it.

Jousting. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 10. In 2014 we claimed that "Minnesota's official team sport is
> hockey. Their official individual sport is also a winter sport,
> and probably the least athletic official sport anywhere."
> But when I checked to see if this is still true, I found that
> apparently it never was -- this sport does not seem to be an
> official state sport anywhere. So then, uh, what sport did we
> have in mind? Hint: a tournament for this sport is sometimes
> called a "derby".

Ice fishing. 4 for Dan and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 36 19 55
Erland Sommarskog 31 12 43
Dan Tilque 20 12 32
Pete Gayde 8 13 21

--
Mark Brader | "Earthmen learned how to send ships through space, and
msb@vex.net | so initiated human history, though I suppose there was