The three best things about going to school are June, July, and August.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physicsMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physicsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physicsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physicsswp
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physicsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: music theory, particle physicsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

<8lOdnUzppIZjXd35nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5208&group=rec.games.trivia#5208

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:35:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory

1. What is the system of musical notation mainly used for fretted
instruments such as guitars, which shows finger placements
graphically?

2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
"la" always represents what note?

4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
ti and do; what notes is the other one between?

5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
the alto clef?

7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.

8. How many notes are there in a chromatic scale? (Not counting
the note an octave above the starting note.)

9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
name the notes in order.

10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
term that covers these modified notes?

* Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics

1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
the answer "antielectron".)

2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
and kaons.

3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
of highly energetic photons.

4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
and in SI units has a value of 6.626 × 10^-34. When multiplied
by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
What German physicist is this constant named after?

6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
What is the fourth one?

7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
British physicist Peter Higgs.

8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
is located.

9. The American physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from the
following line in literature: "Three quarks for Muster Mark,
sure he hasn't got much of a bark". Name either the novel or
its author.

10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

--
Mark Brader | "In the land of truth, my friend,
Toronto | the man with one fact is king."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

<52ce8278-8580-4532-ba94-469f47609a84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5209&group=rec.games.trivia#5209

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 01:19 UTC

On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 11:35:21 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory
>
> 2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
> strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

> 3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
> solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
> a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
> "la" always represents what note?

> 4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
> are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
> ti and do; what notes is the other one between?

mi and fa
> 5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
> as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

tenor

> 6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
> typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
> the alto clef?

viola

> 7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
> the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
> pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
> UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.

A = 440 hertz

7

> 9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
> the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
> starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
> name the notes in order.

B, D, F
> 10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
> key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
> in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
> term that covers these modified notes?

accidental

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
> the answer "antielectron".)

positron

> 2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
> composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
> and kaons.

muons

> 3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
> which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
> of highly energetic photons.

gamma rays; alpha rays

> 4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
> two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

1 proton and 1 neutron

> 5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
> and in SI units has a value of 6.626 в 10^-34. When multiplied
> by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
> What German physicist is this constant named after?

Planck

> 6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
> these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
> What is the fourth one?

strong force

> 7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
> with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
> electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
> with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
> and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
> British physicist Peter Higgs.

bosons

> 8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
> is located.

France, Switzerland

> 9. The American physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from the
> following line in literature: "Three quarks for Muster Mark,
> sure he hasn't got much of a bark". Name either the novel or
> its author.

Joyce

> 10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
> down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

up

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

<XnsAFED516C8B00EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5210&group=rec.games.trivia#5210

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 08:00:15 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 06:00 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory
>
> 2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
> strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

> 3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
> solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
> a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
> "la" always represents what note?

> 4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
> are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
> ti and do; what notes is the other one between?

mi-fa

> 5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
> as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

Tenod

> 6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
> typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
> the alto clef?

viola
> 7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
> the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
> pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
> UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.

A, 440 Hz
> 8. How many notes are there in a chromatic scale? (Not counting
> the note an octave above the starting note.)

12
> 9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
> the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
> starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
> name the notes in order.

E-G-B-D-F
> 10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
> key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
> in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
> term that covers these modified notes?

"förtecken" in Swedish.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
> the answer "antielectron".)

positron

> 2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
> composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
> and kaons.

bosons
> 3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
> which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
> of highly energetic photons.

gamma
> 4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
> two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

proton + neutron

> 5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
> and in SI units has a value of 6.626 × 10^-34. When multiplied
> by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
> What German physicist is this constant named after?

Bolzmann

> 6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
> these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
> What is the fourth one?

The strong force

> 7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
> with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
> electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
> with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
> and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
> British physicist Peter Higgs.

Boson
> 8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
> is located.

Switzerland and France
> 10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
> down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

Up

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

<81c2429e-ca9a-4313-b34e-7eab0177506en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5211&group=rec.games.trivia#5211

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 06:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:08 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 12:35:21 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory
>
> 1. What is the system of musical notation mainly used for fretted
> instruments such as guitars, which shows finger placements
> graphically?

tablature

> 2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
> strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

> 3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
> solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
> a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
> "la" always represents what note?

> 4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
> are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
> ti and do; what notes is the other one between?

mi and fa

> 5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
> as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

tenor

> 6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
> typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
> the alto clef?

viola

> 7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
> the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
> pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
> UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.

a, 440 hz

> 8. How many notes are there in a chromatic scale? (Not counting
> the note an octave above the starting note.)

12

> 9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
> the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
> starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
> name the notes in order.

every good boy deserves fudge

> 10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
> key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
> in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
> term that covers these modified notes?

accidental

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
> the answer "antielectron".)

positron

> 2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
> composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
> and kaons.

mesons

> 3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
> which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
> of highly energetic photons.

gamma rays

> 4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
> two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

1 proton and 1 neutron

> 5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
> and in SI units has a value of 6.626 в 10^-34. When multiplied
> by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
> What German physicist is this constant named after?

max planck

> 6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
> these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
> What is the fourth one?

the strong force

> 7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
> with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
> electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
> with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
> and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
> British physicist Peter Higgs.

bosons

> 8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
> is located.

switzerland, france

> 9. The American physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from the
> following line in literature: "Three quarks for Muster Mark,
> sure he hasn't got much of a bark". Name either the novel or
> its author.

finnegan's wake ; james joyce

> 10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
> down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

up

> --
> Mark Brader | "In the land of truth, my friend,
> Toronto | the man with one fact is king."
> m...@vex.net | --"In the Loop", Jesse Armstrong et al.
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: music theory, particle physics

<u218ds$3cjoi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5212&group=rec.games.trivia#5212

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:18:34 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 18:18 UTC

On 4/19/23 21:35, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory
>
> 1. What is the system of musical notation mainly used for fretted
> instruments such as guitars, which shows finger placements
> graphically?
>
> 2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
> strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

> 3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
> solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
> a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
> "la" always represents what note?
>
> 4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
> are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
> ti and do; what notes is the other one between?
>
> 5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
> as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

tenor

> 6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
> typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
> the alto clef?
>
> 7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
> the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
> pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
> UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.
>
> 8. How many notes are there in a chromatic scale? (Not counting
> the note an octave above the starting note.)

7

> 9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
> the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
> starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
> name the notes in order. >
> 10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
> key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
> in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
> term that covers these modified notes?
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
> the answer "antielectron".)

positron

> 2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
> composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
> and kaons.

meson

> 3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
> which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
> of highly energetic photons.

gamma rays

> 4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
> two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

proton and neutron

> 5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
> and in SI units has a value of 6.626 × 10^-34. When multiplied
> by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
> What German physicist is this constant named after?

Planck

> 6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
> these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
> What is the fourth one?

strong nuclear force

> 7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
> with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
> electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
> with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
> and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
> British physicist Peter Higgs.

bosons

> 8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
> is located.

Switzerland and France

> 9. The American physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from the
> following line in literature: "Three quarks for Muster Mark,
> sure he hasn't got much of a bark". Name either the novel or
> its author.

James Joyce

> 10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
> down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

up

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: music theory, particle physics

<eNWdnbCnfqAvKNn5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5213&group=rec.games.trivia#5213

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: music theory, particle physics
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 04:36:02 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 04:36 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Basic Musical Theory

> 1. What is the system of musical notation mainly used for fretted
> instruments such as guitars, which shows finger placements
> graphically?

Tablature (or tab). 4 for Stephen.

> 2. On a 6-string guitar using standard tuning, the top and bottom
> strings are the same note, 2 octaves apart. Which note?

E. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 3. Solfege is a musical system of notation similar to the tonic
> solfa (the "do-re-mi" system we learned in school), but with
> a fixed "do", always being the musical note C. In solfege,
> "la" always represents what note?

A. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 4. Most of the intervals in a major scale are whole tones, but two
> are semitones (half tones). In solfa, one semitone is between
> ti and do; what notes is the other one between?

Between mi and fa. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 5. A lot of music is written in 4-part harmony, also referred to
> as SATB. What musical voice does the T stand for?

Tenor. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Stephen, and Dan.

> 6. In the violin family of stringed instruments, which instrument
> typically plays the alto voice, and plays music written using
> the alto clef?

Viola. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 7. The musical note to which most instruments are tuned, played by
> the oboe in a symphony orchestra, is a note referred to as
> pitch standard. This note is widely used as concert pitch in
> UK and USA. Name the note *and* its frequency in hertz.

A = 440 Hz. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> 8. How many notes are there in a chromatic scale? (Not counting
> the note an octave above the starting note.)

12. (Unlike e.g. the major or minor scale, every half-step is
included.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 9. With the treble clef, the notes corresponding to the lines of
> the staff are often learned from the bottom up using a mnemonic
> starting with "Every Good". Give the complete mnemonic or just
> name the notes in order.

"Every Good Boy Deserves Fun" or "...Fudge" is what's normally heard
around here, but I accepted any completion with the right initials:
E, G, B, D, F. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 10. In written music when a note is written which is not in the
> key signature, it is indicated with a sharp, flat, or natural
> in front of the note to modify its pitch. What is the generic
> term that covers these modified notes?

Accidental. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Erland.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Particle Physics

> 1. What is the antiparticle of the electron? (No, we won't take
> the answer "antielectron".)

Positron. 4 for everyone.

> 2. What do we call the class of fundamental particles which are
> composed of a quark and an antiquark? Examples include pions
> and kaons.

Mesons. 4 for Stephen and Dan.

> 3. Radioactivity is composed of three types of rays, each one of
> which is a beam of particles. Name the rays which are composed
> of highly energetic photons.

Gamma rays. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Dan. 3 for Joshua.

> 4. Deuterium (or heavy hydrogen) is an isotope of hydrogen with
> two particles in its nucleus. What particles?

One proton and one neutron. 4 for everyone.

> 5. This fundamental constant in physics is denoted by the letter h,
> and in SI units has a value of 6.626 × 10^-34. When multiplied
> by the frequency of a photon, the result is the photon's energy.
> What German physicist is this constant named after?

Max Ernst Karl Ludwig Planck. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan.

> 6. Physics identifies four fundamental forces in nature. Three of
> these are gravity, the weak force, and electromagnetism.
> What is the fourth one?

The strong force. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Subatomic particles have a property known as spin. Particles
> with half-integral spin are called fermions: examples are
> electrons, protons, and neutrinos. What do we call particles
> with integral spin? Examples of these are photons, gravitons,
> and the """recently""" discovered particle named after the
> British physicist Peter Higgs.

Bosons. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Name the two countries in which the CERN research laboratory
> is located.

France, Switzerland. (It's on the border, near Geneva.)
4 for everyone.

> 9. The American physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the quark from the
> following line in literature: "Three quarks for Muster Mark,
> sure he hasn't got much of a bark". Name either the novel or
> its author.

"Finnegan's Wake" by James Joyce. 4 for Joshua, Stephen (the hard
way), and Dan.

> 10. Quarks come in six types. Five of these types are bottom,
> down, charm, strange, and top. What's the other one?

Up. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Spo Mis Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 36 19 28 35 118
Erland Sommarskog 31 12 31 28 102
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 80
Dan Tilque 20 12 4 40 76
Pete Gayde 8 13 -- -- 21

--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."