Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 05:23:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:23 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking

The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".

1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
humans, and produces that burning sensation.

2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
these mixtures.

4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
_____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
finished with the preceding questions. Gur cebprff bs znxvat
lrnfg oernqf vaibyirf n frevrf bs nygreangvat jbex naq erfg
crevbqf. Gur jbex crevbqf ner jurer gur qbhtu vf zvkrq, xarnqrq,
be sbyqrq. Qhevat gur erfg crevbqf, gur lrnfg srezragf gur
qbhtu, cebqhpvat tnfrf juvpu yrnira gur qbhtu. Jung anzr vf
tvira gb gurfr erfg crevbqf?

7. Tvir gur npebalz -- be gur shyy anzr vs lbh yvxr -- sbe gur
srezragngvba fgnegre phygher hfrq va gur cercnengvba bs fbhe
sbbqf naq orirentrf fhpu nf xbzohpun. Vg pbafvfgf bs ynpgvp
npvq onpgrevn, nprgvp npvq onpgrevn, naq lrnfg -- naq hfhnyyl
ybbxf yvxr n tryngvabhf oybo.

8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

9. Name the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing
sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor --
or, to quote Alton Brown, it makes things "golden, brown,
and delicious". Hint: it is not caramelization.

10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
regulated temperature?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire

1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?
2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
significant river?

4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?
7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?
8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?
9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
on the Danube?

10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
its name shortened to become which German city?

--
Mark Brader | "Some societies define themselves by being open to new
Toronto | influences, others define their identity by resisting.

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands

<udeg26$3c5vt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5114&group=rec.games.trivia#5114

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 23:47:32 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 06:47 UTC

On 9/7/23 22:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking
>
> The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
> and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".
>
> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

capsaicin

> 2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
> effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
> the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

casein

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

colloid

> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

fermentation

> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

sugar

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
> finished with the preceding questions. Gur cebprff bs znxvat
> lrnfg oernqf vaibyirf n frevrf bs nygreangvat jbex naq erfg
> crevbqf. Gur jbex crevbqf ner jurer gur qbhtu vf zvkrq, xarnqrq,
> be sbyqrq. Qhevat gur erfg crevbqf, gur lrnfg srezragf gur
> qbhtu, cebqhpvat tnfrf juvpu yrnira gur qbhtu. Jung anzr vf
> tvira gb gurfr erfg crevbqf?
>
> 7. Tvir gur npebalz -- be gur shyy anzr vs lbh yvxr -- sbe gur
> srezragngvba fgnegre phygher hfrq va gur cercnengvba bs fbhe
> sbbqf naq orirentrf fhpu nf xbzohpun. Vg pbafvfgf bs ynpgvp
> npvq onpgrevn, nprgvp npvq onpgrevn, naq lrnfg -- naq hfhnyyl
> ybbxf yvxr n tryngvabhf oybo.
>
> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

oxidation

7

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

Tiber

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

Rubicon

> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

Hadrian's Wall

> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

Algeria

> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

Turkey

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

Paris

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

Milan

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

Vienna

> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

Cologne

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands

<XnsB079D4935FCEAYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5214&group=rec.games.trivia#5214

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 20:53:49 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 18:53 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking
>
> The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
> and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".
>
> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

Capuscine

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

Emulsion
> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

Fermentation
> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

Carbon dioxide
> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

Oxidation
> 10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
> food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
> water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
> regulated temperature?

Sous vide

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire
>
> 1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?

Seven

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

Teverino

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

Rubicon
> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

Hadrianus' Wall
> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?
Libya
> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

Turkey

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

Paris

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

Milano

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

Vienna
> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

Aachen

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands

<udgb2n$5dh$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5215&group=rec.games.trivia#5215

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 23:34:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 23:34 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking

> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

capsaicin

> 2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
> effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
> the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

collagen

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

emulsion

> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

fermentation

> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

sugar

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
> finished with the preceding questions. Gur cebprff bs znxvat
> lrnfg oernqf vaibyirf n frevrf bs nygreangvat jbex naq erfg
> crevbqf. Gur jbex crevbqf ner jurer gur qbhtu vf zvkrq, xarnqrq,
> be sbyqrq. Qhevat gur erfg crevbqf, gur lrnfg srezragf gur
> qbhtu, cebqhpvat tnfrf juvpu yrnira gur qbhtu. Jung anzr vf
> tvira gb gurfr erfg crevbqf?

proving

> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

oxidation

> 9. Name the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing
> sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor --
> or, to quote Alton Brown, it makes things "golden, brown,
> and delicious". Hint: it is not caramelization.

Maillard reaction

> 10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
> food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
> water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
> regulated temperature?

sous vide

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire

> 1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?

seven

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

Tiber

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

Rubicon

> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

Hadrian's Wall

> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

Libya

> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

Turkey

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

Paris

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

Milan

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

Vienna

> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

Cologne

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands

<5c85c978-1d73-4acf-82e7-0f2f864b3c14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5216&group=rec.games.trivia#5216

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:39 UTC

On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 1:23:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking
>
> The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
> and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".
>
> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

capsaicin

> 2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
> effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
> the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

casein

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

emulsion

> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

fermentation

> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

sugars, carbon dioxide

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
> finished with the preceding questions. The process of making
> yeast breads involves a series of alternating work and rest
> periods. The work periods are where the dough is mixed, kneaded,
> or folded. During the rest periods, the yeast ferments the
> dough, producing gases which leaven the dough. What name is
> given to these rest periods?

rising

> 7. Give the acronym -- or the full name if you like -- for the
> fermentation starter culture used in the preparation of sour
> foods and beverages such as kombucha. It consists of lactic
> acid bacteria, acetic acid bacteria, and yeast -- and usually
> looks like a gelatinous blob.

labaab

> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

the oxygen-reactive enzyme is exposed to oxygen

> 9. Name the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing
> sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor --
> or, to quote Alton Brown, it makes things "golden, brown,
> and delicious". Hint: it is not caramelization.

the maillard reaction?

> 10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
> food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
> water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
> regulated temperature?

sous vide

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire
>
> 1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?

seven

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

tiber

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

rubicon

> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

hadrian's wall

> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

tunisia

> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

turkey

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

paris france

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

milan italy

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

vienna austria

> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

cologne germany

> --
> Mark Brader | "Some societies define themselves by being open to new
> Toronto | influences, others define their identity by resisting.
> m...@vex.net | In either case, they take the consequences."
> --Donna Richoux
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is reaping the rewards of his son being in the culinary school

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: food science, Roman lands

<udjde1$eb73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5217&group=rec.games.trivia#5217

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:33:21 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking
>
> The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
> and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".
>
> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

Capcasin

> 2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
> effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
> the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

Lactose

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

Suspension

> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

Fermentation

> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

Heat; Gluten

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
> finished with the preceding questions. Gur cebprff bs znxvat
> lrnfg oernqf vaibyirf n frevrf bs nygreangvat jbex naq erfg
> crevbqf. Gur jbex crevbqf ner jurer gur qbhtu vf zvkrq, xarnqrq,
> be sbyqrq. Qhevat gur erfg crevbqf, gur lrnfg srezragf gur
> qbhtu, cebqhpvat tnfrf juvpu yrnira gur qbhtu. Jung anzr vf
> tvira gb gurfr erfg crevbqf?

Proofing

> 7. Tvir gur npebalz -- be gur shyy anzr vs lbh yvxr -- sbe gur
> srezragngvba fgnegre phygher hfrq va gur cercnengvba bs fbhe
> sbbqf naq orirentrf fhpu nf xbzohpun. Vg pbafvfgf bs ynpgvp
> npvq onpgrevn, nprgvp npvq onpgrevn, naq lrnfg -- naq hfhnyyl
> ybbxf yvxr n tryngvabhf oybo.
>
> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

Oxidization

> 9. Name the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing
> sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor --
> or, to quote Alton Brown, it makes things "golden, brown,
> and delicious". Hint: it is not caramelization.
>
> 10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
> food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
> water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
> regulated temperature?

Sous vide

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire
>
> 1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?

7

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

Tiber

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

Po

> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

English Channel; Alps

> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

Libya; Tunisia

> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

Turkey

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

Lutece

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

Milan

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

Vienna

> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

Cologne

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: food science, Roman lands

<ipicnSWYlaGtMWP5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5218&group=rec.games.trivia#5218

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: food science, Roman lands
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 05:57:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 05:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - On Food And Cooking

> The title of this round is borrowed From Harold McGee's "On Food
> and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen".

> 1. Name the active chemical component that makes chili peppers hot.
> It is a chemical irritant and neurotoxin for mammals, including
> humans, and produces that burning sensation.

Capsaicin [4 syllables]. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen. 3 for Erland and Pete.

> 2. Name the animal protein that binds to <answer 1> and lessens its
> effects -- which is why animal milk can be effective to soothe
> the burn, whereas pure plant-based "milks" are not.

Casein. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 3. What type of mixture is defined as a fine dispersion of minute
> droplets of one liquid in another in which it is not soluble
> or miscible? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise sauce are examples of
> these mixtures.

Emulsion. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. Microorganisms like yeast and bacteria usually play a role
> in this process, in which a substance breaks down into a
> simpler substance. Examples of foods produced or preserved by
> this process include yogurt, kimchi, and wine.

Fermentation. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 5. Yeast is an important ingredient in many breads. When preparing
> the dough, to quote Harold McGee: "The yeast cells feed on the
> _____, producing _____ and alcohol." Fill in either blank.

Sugar, carbon dioxide. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen (the hard way).

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for questions #6-7 only after you are
> finished with the preceding questions. The process of making
> yeast breads involves a series of alternating work and rest
> periods. The work periods are where the dough is mixed, kneaded,
> or folded. During the rest periods, the yeast ferments the
> dough, producing gases which leaven the dough. What name is
> given to these rest periods?

Proofing, proving, or (accepted on protest) rising. 4 for Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 7. Give the acronym -- or the full name if you like -- for the
> fermentation starter culture used in the preparation of sour
> foods and beverages such as kombucha. It consists of lactic
> acid bacteria, acetic acid bacteria, and yeast -- and usually
> looks like a gelatinous blob.

SCOBY -- Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast.

> 8. What is the chemical reaction where atoms lose electrons,
> the cause of cut avocados or apples turning brown?

Oxidation. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Name the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing
> sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor --
> or, to quote Alton Brown, it makes things "golden, brown,
> and delicious". Hint: it is not caramelization.

Maillard reaction. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. What cooking method, also a French phrase, involves sealing
> food, typically in a plastic pouch, and immersing it in a
> water bath for longer than usual cooking times, at a precisely
> regulated temperature?

Sous vide. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography History - Geography of the Roman Empire

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Traditionally, the city of Rome was founded on how many hills?

7. 4 for everyone.

They were the Aventine, Caelian, Capitoline, Esquiline, Palatine,
Quirinal, and Viminal Hills.

> 2. Those hills all lie on the east bank of which river?

Tiber. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> 3. The eastern portion of the boundary between Italy proper and
> the rest of the Roman Empire was marked by which historically
> significant river?

Rubicon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

As governor, Julius Caesar was authorized to command troops in the
province of Gaul, but once he brought them across the Rubicon into
Italy, he was officially in rebellion.

> 4. Starting in 122, what formed the boundary between the Roman
> Empire and the unconquered territory of the Caledonians?

Hadrian's Wall. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

From 152 to 162, the boundary was moved north to the Antonine Wall,
but it never had the permanence of Hadrian's Wall.

> 5. The Roman province of Africa extended at times into three
> modern-day countries, but in which one was its core?

Tunisia. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 6. The Roman province of Asia lay within which modern-day country?

Turkey (or Türkiye). 4 for everyone.

Even today, this region is called "Asia Minor", as distinguished
from the full continent of Asia.

> 7. The Roman city of Lutetia corresponds to which French city?

Paris. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. The Roman city of Mediolanum corresponds to which Italian city?

Milan. 4 for everyone.

> 9. The Roman military camp of Vindobona corresponds to which city
> on the Danube?

Vienna. 4 for everyone.

> 10. The Roman outpost of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium had
> its name shortened to become which German city?

Cologne (Köln). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent Sci His
Stephen Perry 36 40 32 40 148
Dan Blum 32 32 32 36 132
Joshua Kreitzer 26 40 24 36 126
Dan Tilque 40 12 20 36 108
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 23 31 70
Pete Gayde -- -- 19 26 45

--
Mark Brader | Yet again, I begged him to explain himself in plain
Toronto | English. This request always surprises him, as he