If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Canadian events, board games

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board gamesMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board gamesDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board gamesJoshua Kreitzer
+* QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board gamesDan Tilque
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board gamesDan Tilque
`- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Canadian events, board gamesMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games

<Z8udnQT7sZ4_MWP5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5219&group=rec.games.trivia#5219

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 05:58:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 05:58 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Significant Events

A series of questions from the Canadian Encyclopedia web site's
"Significant Events in Canadian History" page.

1. In 1642, he founded Ville-Marie, which would become an important
trading post in New France, and the future city of Montréal.
He served as governor until 1665. Who was he?

2. In 1749, he arrived in Chebucto, and soon afterwards, work
began on the town of Halifax, which replaced Annapolis Royal
as the capital of Nova Scotia. Who is he?

3. In 1829, two schooners passed from Port Dalhousie to Port
Robinson, Upper Canada, over the first link between Lakes Erie
and Ontario. What is this link?

4. In 1856, what railway was completed from Guelph to Stratford
in what is now Ontario? The last stretch from St. Marys to
Sarnia was finished on November 21.

5. In 1907, Charles Edward Saunders completed the development
of a new cultivar of wheat, a cross between Red Fife and Hard
Red Calcutta. By 1920 it comprised 90% of the wheat grown on
the Prairies. Name this cultivar.

6. In 1909, the first powered flight of a heavier-than-air machine
in Canada and the British Empire occurred at Baddeck, NS.
Piloted by John Alexander Douglas McCurdy, the aircraft flew
about 1 km. Name the *aircraft*.

7. In 1935, William Aberhart led this party to victory in Alberta's
provincial elections. He was sworn in on September 3. The party
dominated Alberta politics until 1971. Name the party.

8. Jacques Cartier's first expedition began on April 20, 1534.
On July 24, he took possession of Canada on behalf of the king
of France and placed a cross at what location -- one of the
oldest settlements in North America?

9. 1877-11-17 is the birth date of the NHL's founding president
(or chancellor as they said then). He was born in Bristol,
England. Both the NHL and the American Hockey League have an
award named after him. Who was he?

10. At the summer 1904 Olympic Games, two teams represented Canada
in this field sport. One of those teams, the Winnipeg Shamrocks,
earned the first Olympic men's gold medal in it. What sport?

* Game 9, Round 8 - Leisure - Classic Board Games

Given the year it was published and a one-line description from
boardgamegeek.com, identify these classic board games. Note:
the dates are as shown for the primary version on the web site;
some of the games had earlier versions.

1. 1935. In this competitive real estate market, there's only
one possible outcome.

2. 1949. Race along the candy road to be the first to tour King
Kandy's castle.

3. 1959. Will you conquer the world in this multi-player
push-your-luck wargame?

4. 1995. Collect and trade resources to build up the namesake
island in this modern classic.

5. 1960. Travel down life's road with its highs and lows as you
try to amass a fortune.

6. 1965. Help the patient without hurting him!

7. 2004. Build your railroad across North America to connect
cities and complete tickets.

8. 1955. Sports? Business? Politics? Who will be the first
player to reach their goals?

9. 1949. Catch the culprit of a crime by identifying who did it,
with what, and where.

10. 1959. Powers of post-Victorian Europe cooperate and clash to
become master of the Continent.

--
Mark Brader "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
Toronto "Wait till I get going!"

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games

<udo2v4$iph$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5220&group=rec.games.trivia#5220

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:05:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:05 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Significant Events

> 4. In 1856, what railway was completed from Guelph to Stratford
> in what is now Ontario? The last stretch from St. Marys to
> Sarnia was finished on November 21.

Grand Trunk

> 5. In 1907, Charles Edward Saunders completed the development
> of a new cultivar of wheat, a cross between Red Fife and Hard
> Red Calcutta. By 1920 it comprised 90% of the wheat grown on
> the Prairies. Name this cultivar.

triticale

> 9. 1877-11-17 is the birth date of the NHL's founding president
> (or chancellor as they said then). He was born in Bristol,
> England. Both the NHL and the American Hockey League have an
> award named after him. Who was he?

Stanley

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Leisure - Classic Board Games

> 1. 1935. In this competitive real estate market, there's only
> one possible outcome.

Monopoly

> 2. 1949. Race along the candy road to be the first to tour King
> Kandy's castle.

Candyland

> 3. 1959. Will you conquer the world in this multi-player
> push-your-luck wargame?

Risk

> 4. 1995. Collect and trade resources to build up the namesake
> island in this modern classic.

(The Settlers of) Catan

> 5. 1960. Travel down life's road with its highs and lows as you
> try to amass a fortune.

The Game of Life

> 6. 1965. Help the patient without hurting him!

Operation

> 7. 2004. Build your railroad across North America to connect
> cities and complete tickets.

Ticket to Ride

> 8. 1955. Sports? Business? Politics? Who will be the first
> player to reach their goals?

Careers

> 9. 1949. Catch the culprit of a crime by identifying who did it,
> with what, and where.

Clue

> 10. 1959. Powers of post-Victorian Europe cooperate and clash to
> become master of the Continent.

Diplomacy

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games

<4752ebba-6db5-47fb-b128-d61702dda0bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5221&group=rec.games.trivia#5221

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 19:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 02:23 UTC

On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 12:59:10 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Significant Events
>
> 3. In 1829, two schooners passed from Port Dalhousie to Port
> Robinson, Upper Canada, over the first link between Lakes Erie
> and Ontario. What is this link?

Niagara River

> 8. Jacques Cartier's first expedition began on April 20, 1534.
> On July 24, he took possession of Canada on behalf of the king
> of France and placed a cross at what location -- one of the
> oldest settlements in North America?

Quebec City

> 9. 1877-11-17 is the birth date of the NHL's founding president
> (or chancellor as they said then). He was born in Bristol,
> England. Both the NHL and the American Hockey League have an
> award named after him. Who was he?

Norris

> 10. At the summer 1904 Olympic Games, two teams represented Canada
> in this field sport. One of those teams, the Winnipeg Shamrocks,
> earned the first Olympic men's gold medal in it. What sport?

field hockey

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Leisure - Classic Board Games
>
> Given the year it was published and a one-line description from
> boardgamegeek.com, identify these classic board games. Note:
> the dates are as shown for the primary version on the web site;
> some of the games had earlier versions.
>
> 1. 1935. In this competitive real estate market, there's only
> one possible outcome.

Monopoly

> 2. 1949. Race along the candy road to be the first to tour King
> Kandy's castle.

Candy Land

> 3. 1959. Will you conquer the world in this multi-player
> push-your-luck wargame?

Risk

> 4. 1995. Collect and trade resources to build up the namesake
> island in this modern classic.

Settlers of Catan

> 5. 1960. Travel down life's road with its highs and lows as you
> try to amass a fortune.

The Game of Life

> 6. 1965. Help the patient without hurting him!

Operation

> 7. 2004. Build your railroad across North America to connect
> cities and complete tickets.

Ticket to Ride

> 9. 1949. Catch the culprit of a crime by identifying who did it,
> with what, and where.

Clue

> 10. 1959. Powers of post-Victorian Europe cooperate and clash to
> become master of the Continent.

Diplomacy

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games

<udrk92$20l57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5222&group=rec.games.trivia#5222

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 23:19:12 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 06:19 UTC

On 9/10/23 22:58, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Significant Events
>
> A series of questions from the Canadian Encyclopedia web site's
> "Significant Events in Canadian History" page.
>
> 1. In 1642, he founded Ville-Marie, which would become an important
> trading post in New France, and the future city of Montréal.
> He served as governor until 1665. Who was he? >
> 2. In 1749, he arrived in Chebucto, and soon afterwards, work
> began on the town of Halifax, which replaced Annapolis Royal
> as the capital of Nova Scotia. Who is he?
>
> 3. In 1829, two schooners passed from Port Dalhousie to Port
> Robinson, Upper Canada, over the first link between Lakes Erie
> and Ontario. What is this link?

Wendell Canal

> 4. In 1856, what railway was completed from Guelph to Stratford
> in what is now Ontario? The last stretch from St. Marys to
> Sarnia was finished on November 21.

Grand Trunk

> 5. In 1907, Charles Edward Saunders completed the development
> of a new cultivar of wheat, a cross between Red Fife and Hard
> Red Calcutta. By 1920 it comprised 90% of the wheat grown on
> the Prairies. Name this cultivar.
>
> 6. In 1909, the first powered flight of a heavier-than-air machine
> in Canada and the British Empire occurred at Baddeck, NS.
> Piloted by John Alexander Douglas McCurdy, the aircraft flew
> about 1 km. Name the *aircraft*.
>
> 7. In 1935, William Aberhart led this party to victory in Alberta's
> provincial elections. He was sworn in on September 3. The party
> dominated Alberta politics until 1971. Name the party.

Social Credit

> 8. Jacques Cartier's first expedition began on April 20, 1534.
> On July 24, he took possession of Canada on behalf of the king
> of France and placed a cross at what location -- one of the
> oldest settlements in North America?

Quebec City

> 9. 1877-11-17 is the birth date of the NHL's founding president
> (or chancellor as they said then). He was born in Bristol,
> England. Both the NHL and the American Hockey League have an
> award named after him. Who was he?
>
> 10. At the summer 1904 Olympic Games, two teams represented Canada
> in this field sport. One of those teams, the Winnipeg Shamrocks,
> earned the first Olympic men's gold medal in it. What sport?

field hockey

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Leisure - Classic Board Games
>
> Given the year it was published and a one-line description from
> boardgamegeek.com, identify these classic board games. Note:
> the dates are as shown for the primary version on the web site;
> some of the games had earlier versions.
>
> 1. 1935. In this competitive real estate market, there's only
> one possible outcome.

Monopoly

> 2. 1949. Race along the candy road to be the first to tour King
> Kandy's castle.

Candyland

> 3. 1959. Will you conquer the world in this multi-player
> push-your-luck wargame?

Risk

> 4. 1995. Collect and trade resources to build up the namesake
> island in this modern classic.

Settlers of Catan

> 5. 1960. Travel down life's road with its highs and lows as you
> try to amass a fortune.

Game of Life

> 6. 1965. Help the patient without hurting him!

Operation

> 7. 2004. Build your railroad across North America to connect
> cities and complete tickets.

Railroad Tycoon

> 8. 1955. Sports? Business? Politics? Who will be the first
> player to reach their goals?
>
> 9. 1949. Catch the culprit of a crime by identifying who did it,
> with what, and where.

Clue

> 10. 1959. Powers of post-Victorian Europe cooperate and clash to
> become master of the Continent.

Diplomacy

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Canadian events, board games

<udrroe$21t0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5223&group=rec.games.trivia#5223

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 01:26:54 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:26 UTC

On 9/12/23 23:19, Dan Tilque wrote:
> On 9/10/23 22:58, Mark Brader wrote:
>>
>> 3. In 1829, two schooners passed from Port Dalhousie to Port
>>     Robinson, Upper Canada, over the first link between Lakes Erie
>>     and Ontario.  What is this link?
>
> Wendell Canal

Aargh! After I posted, I realized it's the Welland Canal. Well, I had
most of the letters there, if not in the right order.

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Canadian events, board games

<b9-dnbbxGIRNtZ74nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5224&group=rec.games.trivia#5224

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Canadian events, board games
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:37:52 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:37 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Significant Events

> A series of questions from the Canadian Encyclopedia web site's
> "Significant Events in Canadian History" page.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. In 1642, he founded Ville-Marie, which would become an important
> trading post in New France, and the future city of Montréal.
> He served as governor until 1665. Who was he?

Paul de Chomedey (Sieur) de Maisonneuve.

> 2. In 1749, he arrived in Chebucto, and soon afterwards, work
> began on the town of Halifax, which replaced Annapolis Royal
> as the capital of Nova Scotia. Who is he?

Edward Cornwallis.

> 3. In 1829, two schooners passed from Port Dalhousie to Port
> Robinson, Upper Canada, over the first link between Lakes Erie
> and Ontario. What is this link?

Welland Canal, duh. Sorry, "Wendell" was not quite close enough for
"almost correct".

> 4. In 1856, what railway was completed from Guelph to Stratford
> in what is now Ontario? The last stretch from St. Marys to
> Sarnia was finished on November 21.

Grand Trunk Railway. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

Some of you may be amused to know that I got this wrong in the
original game. I named the Great Western, which built the *other*
route from Toronto to London, and was later bought out by the GTR.

> 5. In 1907, Charles Edward Saunders completed the development
> of a new cultivar of wheat, a cross between Red Fife and Hard
> Red Calcutta. By 1920 it comprised 90% of the wheat grown on
> the Prairies. Name this cultivar.

Marquis wheat.

> 6. In 1909, the first powered flight of a heavier-than-air machine
> in Canada and the British Empire occurred at Baddeck, NS.
> Piloted by John Alexander Douglas McCurdy, the aircraft flew
> about 1 km. Name the *aircraft*.

Silver Dart.

> 7. In 1935, William Aberhart led this party to victory in Alberta's
> provincial elections. He was sworn in on September 3. The party
> dominated Alberta politics until 1971. Name the party.

Social Credit Party. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. Jacques Cartier's first expedition began on April 20, 1534.
> On July 24, he took possession of Canada on behalf of the king
> of France and placed a cross at what location -- one of the
> oldest settlements in North America?

Gaspé.

> 9. 1877-11-17 is the birth date of the NHL's founding president
> (or chancellor as they said then). He was born in Bristol,
> England. Both the NHL and the American Hockey League have an
> award named after him. Who was he?

Frank Calder.

> 10. At the summer 1904 Olympic Games, two teams represented Canada
> in this field sport. One of those teams, the Winnipeg Shamrocks,
> earned the first Olympic men's gold medal in it. What sport?

Lacrosse.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Leisure - Classic Board Games

> Given the year it was published and a one-line description from
> boardgamegeek.com, identify these classic board games. Note:
> the dates are as shown for the primary version on the web site;
> some of the games had earlier versions.

That note was not included in the original game, in particular
causing some distress on question #5, where we would have expected
the date 1860.

> 1. 1935. In this competitive real estate market, there's only
> one possible outcome.

Monopoly. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. 1949. Race along the candy road to be the first to tour King
> Kandy's castle.

Candy Land. 4 for everyone.

> 3. 1959. Will you conquer the world in this multi-player
> push-your-luck wargame?

Risk. 4 for everyone.

> 4. 1995. Collect and trade resources to build up the namesake
> island in this modern classic.

Catan (formerly Settlers of Catan). 4 for everyone.

> 5. 1960. Travel down life's road with its highs and lows as you
> try to amass a fortune.

Game of Life. 4 for everyone.

> 6. 1965. Help the patient without hurting him!

Operation. 4 for everyone.

> 7. 2004. Build your railroad across North America to connect
> cities and complete tickets.

Ticket to Ride. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. 1955. Sports? Business? Politics? Who will be the first
> player to reach their goals?

Careers. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. 1949. Catch the culprit of a crime by identifying who did it,
> with what, and where.

Clue (or Cluedo). 4 for everyone.

> 10. 1959. Powers of post-Victorian Europe cooperate and clash to
> become master of the Continent.

Diplomacy. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Sci His Can Lei FOUR
Stephen Perry 36 40 32 40 -- -- 148
Dan Blum 32 32 32 36 4 40 140
Joshua Kreitzer 26 40 24 36 0 36 138
Dan Tilque 40 12 20 36 8 32 128
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 23 31 -- -- 70
Pete Gayde -- -- 19 26 -- -- 45

--
Mark Brader "...most mistakes are made the last thing before
Toronto you go to bed. So go to bed before you do