The more I see of men the more I admire dogs. -- Mme De Sevigne, 1626-1696

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengeMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengeErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengeDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengeswp
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengeDan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challengePete Gayde
`* QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Bond locations, color challengeMark Brader
 `- QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Bond locations, color challengeswp

1
QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<3sicnR4SE9GztJ74nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5225&group=rec.games.trivia#5225

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:39:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:39 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
James Bond Novels

1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
state of Kentucky?

3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.

4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
movie version, and which the producers helped complete.

5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?

6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.

8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
of the four main islands of Japan?

10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
three archipelagos.

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder

We had enough questions for another challenge round of
color-adjacent questions, so let's do it again!

* A. Literature

A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?

A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"

* B. Science

B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
are indicators that notably change color depending on what
property of the solution to which they are added?

* C. Entertainment

C1. Jennie, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?

C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
2022 sequel. Name either film.

* D. Canadiana

D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
line would they be on?

D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
Line 3, the Scarborough Line?

* E. History

E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
organisation?

E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
Hoffman.

* F. Sports

F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto (require 'msb)
msb@vex.net -- Lars Lindberg

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<XnsB07FD3FC5ECE1Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5226&group=rec.games.trivia#5226

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 20:50:20 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder
>
> * B. Science
>
> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

Copper
> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

pH
> D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> Line 3, the Scarborough Line?

Pink
> * E. History
>
> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

Greenpeace
> * F. Sports
>
> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

Race suspended due to hindrance from a crash or similar.
> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

Yellow

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<udvv9g$s0a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5227&group=rec.games.trivia#5227

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:51:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:51 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
> James Bond Novels

> 1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
> kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
> clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

From Russia With Love

> 2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
> forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
> burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
> state of Kentucky?

Goldfinger

> 3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
> to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
> crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.

The Living Daylights

> 4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
> Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
> front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
> in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
> movie version, and which the producers helped complete.

The Spy Who Loved Me

> 5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
> write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
> Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?

Sotheby's

> 6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
> England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
> set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
> version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
> Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

Moonraker

> 7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
> the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
> of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.

Goldeneye

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
> pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
> finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

Gabon

> 9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
> Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
> eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
> of the four main islands of Japan?

Kyushu

> 10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
> about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
> by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
> comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
> three archipelagos.

the Antilles

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder

> * A. Literature

> A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
> the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
> who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?

Black Beauty

> A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
> that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
> in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"

The Color Purple

> * B. Science

> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

copper

> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

acidity

> * C. Entertainment

> C1. Jennie, Ros?, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
> doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?

Blackpink

> C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
> 2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
> 2022 sequel. Name either film.

Knives Out

> * E. History

> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

Greenpeace

> E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
> the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
> in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
> Hoffman.

Chicago

> * F. Sports

> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

pit stop

> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

yellow

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<403940a8-9f5e-4b3a-aab6-ca874041fe8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5228&group=rec.games.trivia#5228

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 23:26 UTC

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 11:39:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
> James Bond Novels
>
> 1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
> kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
> clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

from russia with love

> 2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
> forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
> burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
> state of Kentucky?

goldfinger

> 3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
> to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
> crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.

octopussy and the living daylights

> 4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
> Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
> front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
> in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
> movie version, and which the producers helped complete.

on her majesty's secret service

> 5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
> write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
> Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?

sotheby's

> 6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
> England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
> set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
> version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
> Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

moonraker

> 7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
> the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
> of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.

goldeneye

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
> pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
> finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

sierra leone

> 9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
> Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
> eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
> of the four main islands of Japan?

kyushu

> 10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
> about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
> by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
> comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
> three archipelagos.

the west indies

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder
>
> We had enough questions for another challenge round of
> color-adjacent questions, so let's do it again!
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
> the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
> who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?

black beauty

> A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
> that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
> in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"

the color purple

> * B. Science
>
> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

copper

> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

ph acidity level

> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Jennie, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
> doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?

blackpink

> C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
> 2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
> 2022 sequel. Name either film.

knives out ; glass onion

> * D. Canadiana
>
> D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
> line would they be on?

two

> D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> Line 3, the Scarborough Line?

green

> * E. History
>
> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

greenpeace

> E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
> the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
> in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
> Hoffman.

chicago

> * F. Sports
>
> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

start of the final lap

> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

yellow

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto (require 'msb)
> m...@vex.net -- Lars Lindberg
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<ue34f6$3k9si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5229&group=rec.games.trivia#5229

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:38:28 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 02:38 UTC

On 9/14/23 08:39, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
> James Bond Novels
>
> 1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
> kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
> clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

From Russia with Love

> 2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
> forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
> burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
> state of Kentucky?
>
> 3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
> to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
> crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.
>
> 4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
> Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
> front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
> in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
> movie version, and which the producers helped complete.
>
> 5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
> write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
> Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?
>
> 6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
> England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
> set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
> version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
> Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

Moonraker

> 7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
> the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
> of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.

Goldeneye

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
> pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
> finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

Sierra Leone

> 9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
> Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
> eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
> of the four main islands of Japan?

Kyushu

> 10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
> about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
> by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
> comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
> three archipelagos.

Lesser Antilles

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder
>
> We had enough questions for another challenge round of
> color-adjacent questions, so let's do it again!
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
> the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
> who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?
>
> A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
> that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
> in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"

The Color Purple

> * B. Science
>
> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

copper

> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

acidity

> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Jennie, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
> doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?
>
> C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
> 2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
> 2022 sequel. Name either film.
>

> * D. Canadiana
>
> D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
> line would they be on?
>
> D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> Line 3, the Scarborough Line?
>

> * E. History
>
> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

Greenpeace

> E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
> the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
> in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
> Hoffman.

Chicago

> * F. Sports
>
> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

end of caution

> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

yellow

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Bond locations, color challenge

<ue3a84$3l20t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5230&group=rec.games.trivia#5230

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 23:17:07 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 04:17 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
> James Bond Novels
>
> 1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
> kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
> clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

From Russia With Love

> 2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
> forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
> burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
> state of Kentucky?

Goldfinger

> 3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
> to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
> crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.
>
> 4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
> Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
> front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
> in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
> movie version, and which the producers helped complete.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

> 5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
> write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
> Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?

Sothebys

> 6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
> England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
> set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
> version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
> Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

For Your Eyes Only

> 7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
> the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
> of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.
>
> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
> pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
> finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

Sierra Leone

> 9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
> Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
> eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
> of the four main islands of Japan?

Okinawa

> 10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
> about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
> by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
> comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
> three archipelagos.

Lesser Antilles; Greater Antilles

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder
>
> We had enough questions for another challenge round of
> color-adjacent questions, so let's do it again!
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
> the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
> who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?
>
> A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
> that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
> in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"
>

> * B. Science
>
> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

Copper

> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

PH

> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Jennie, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
> doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?
>
> C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
> 2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
> 2022 sequel. Name either film.

Knives Out

> * D. Canadiana
>
> D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
> line would they be on?
>
> D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> Line 3, the Scarborough Line?

Red; Green

> * E. History
>
> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

Greenpeace

> E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
> the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
> in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
> Hoffman.

Chicago

> * F. Sports
>
> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?
>
> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

Yellow

Pete Gayde

QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Bond locations, color challenge

<_lKdnX0YuqMddpr4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=rec.games.trivia#5567

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Bond locations, color challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:17:36 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

This game is over and the winner is STEPHEN PERRY.
Hearty congratulations, eh?

This completes the Summer 2023 regular season. Next I will post
questions from the Final.

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Literature Geography - Locations in Ian Fleming's
> James Bond Novels

> 1. In what Fleming novel does Soviet Spy agency SMERSH plot to
> kill James Bond by baiting him into a sex scandal with a cipher
> clerk who works at the Russian Consulate in Istanbul?

"From Russia, with Love". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

Fun Fact: The novel's title has a comma, unlike the movie version.

> 2. In what novel does the climactic fight between the villain's
> forces, which include a gang of mobsters and a group of female
> burglar and the Pinkerton Detective Agency, take place in the
> state of Kentucky?

"Goldfinger". (Ft. Knox -- remember Game 5, Round 4, question #7?)
4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Joshua.

> 3. In what Fleming short story does Bond travel to the Berlin Wall
> to protect a Soviet defector from a sniper? If the defector
> crosses into West Berlin, he sniper has been ordered to kill him.

"The Living Daylights". 4 for Dan Blum.

"Octopussy and the Living Daylights" was a collection consisting of,
yes, "Octopussy" and "The Living Daylights".

> 4. In what novel does James Bond infiltrate the fictional Piz
> Gloria, a Swiss Alp with a mountaintop lab that is really a
> front for arch-nemesis Blofeld? The name Piz Gloria is still
> in use by a restaurant that was used in the filming of the
> movie version, and which the producers helped complete.

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service". 4 for Stephen and Pete.

The actual name of the Alp with the restaurant is the Schilthorn.

> 5. What venerable British company commissioned Ian Fleming to
> write the short story "The Property of a Lady", in which James
> Bond is sent to identify a Soviet Spy at an art auction?

Sotheby's. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. Name the only James Bond novel in which Bond never leaves
> England. Famous for his travel writing, Fleming had wanted to
> set the location in England to show off the country. The movie
> version of this novel is a more wide-flung affair, shuttling
> Bond from California to Venice to Rio to Earth orbit.

"Moonraker". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 7. What is the name of Ian Fleming's home in Jamaica where he wrote
> the majority of all of his James Bond novels? The producers
> of the James Bond movies used the bame as the title of one.

Goldeneye. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", James Bond tracks a diamond-smuggling
> pipeline from Las Vegas to New York to London to Paris and
> finally to Freetown, the capital city of what African country?

Sierra Leone. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 9. In "You Only Live Twice", James Bond pursues his revenge against
> Blofeld and destroys his Garden of Death by causing a volcanic
> eruption. This takes place on what Island, the southernmost
> of the four main islands of Japan?

Kyushu. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 10. Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from the author of a book
> about the "Birds of..." what region of North America, surrounded
> by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea? The region
> comprises 13 independent island countries and dependencies in
> three archipelagos.

West Indies. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Colors II: Color Harder

> We had enough questions for another challenge round of
> color-adjacent questions, so let's do it again!

> * A. Literature

> A1. In what 1877 Anna Sewell novel are Ginger and Rob Roy
> the friend and brother, respectively, of the title character,
> who works pulling cabs in Victorian-era London?

"Black Beauty". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> A2. In what 1982 Alice Walker novel does Shug Avery tell Celie
> that "I think it pisses God off if you walk by <answer>
> in a field somewhere and don't notice it?"

"The Color Purple". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> * B. Science

> B1. Verdigris ["VER-da-gree"] is a green layer that forms on
> the surface of which metallic element as it corrodes?

Copper. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> B2. Phenolphthalein ["PHEE-nol-ff-THAY-leen"] and litmus paper
> are indicators that notably change color depending on what
> property of the solution to which they are added?

Acidity/alkalinity (pH). 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> * C. Entertainment

> C1. Jennie, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo are the four members of which
> doubly-colorful K-pop girl group?

Blackpink. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> C2. Daniel Craig played the southern detective Benoit Blanc in a
> 2019 murder mystery movie and reprised the role in a
> 2022 sequel. Name either film.

"Knives Out", "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery". 4 for Dan Blum,
Stephen (the hard way), Pete, and Joshua.

> * D. Canadiana

> D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
> line would they be on?

Line 2, Bloor-Danforth Line (any part was sufficient). 4 for Stephen.

> D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> Line 3, the Scarborough Line?

Blue. Light blue, to be more precise. 2 for Joshua.

Obviously this should now read "was"! In fact, the night before
I posted this question set, I looked at the TTC web site to see how
they'd updated their official map following the earlier-than-scheduled
closure of the line[1], and they still hadn't. But now they have[2].
See:

[1] http://www.blogto.com/city/2023/08/ttc-line-3-officially-dead-and-will-never-run-again/
[2] http://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/media/Project/TTC/DevProto/Images/Home/Routes-and-Schedules/Landing-page-pdfs/TTC_SystemMap_2021-11.pdf

> * E. History

> E1. In July 1985, the French government bombed the Rainbow
> Warrior, a ship belonging to which global activist
> organisation?

Greenpeace. 4 for everyone.

> E2. In 1969, Fred Hampton founded a multicultural movement called
> the Rainbow Coalition in which city? A year earlier, a DNC
> in this city was disrupted by a group of men led by Abbie
> Hoffman.

Chicago. (Democratic [Party] National Convention.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> * F. Sports

> F1. In NASCAR, a green flag is waved to signal the beginning
> of a race while a checkered flag is waved to indicate
> the end. What does a white flag indicate during a race?

Final lap. 4 for Stephen.

> F2. During each stage of the Tour de France, the current overall
> leader typically wears a jersey of what color?

Yellow. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Sci His Can Lei L/G Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 36 40 32 40 -- -- 36 44 228
Dan Blum 32 32 32 36 4 40 28 36 208
Joshua Kreitzer 26 40 24 36 0 36 28 34 200
Dan Tilque 40 12 20 36 8 32 20 24 172
Pete Gayde -- -- 19 26 -- -- 20 24 89
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 23 31 -- -- 0 16 86

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If any form of pleasure is exhibited, report
msb@vex.net | to me and it will be prohibited." --DUCK SOUP

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Bond locations, color challenge

<13ca094a-ca70-4e44-8941-03b36731b822n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5570&group=rec.games.trivia#5570

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:34 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 2:17:46 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-17,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> > Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
> This game is over and the winner is STEPHEN PERRY.
> Hearty congratulations, eh?

thank you

> > * D. Canadiana
>
> > D1. If someone was at Greenwood subway station, which TTC subway
> > line would they be on?
> Line 2, Bloor-Danforth Line (any part was sufficient). 4 for Stephen.

no freakin' way! ... er, that is, of course! knew it all along.

> > D2. On the map of the TTC, what color is used to represent
> > Line 3, the Scarborough Line?
> Blue. Light blue, to be more precise. 2 for Joshua.

eh, I gave it a shot. knew it had to be one of the colors from the original crayola box of 8.

swp