Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10 answers: goodbye, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:26:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:26 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

So Game 10 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by a sizable margin.
Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Words for Goodbye

> In Samoa you would say "tofa"; in Norway, "ha det." For the first
> 6 questions, we'll give you the name of a country, and you say
> "goodbye" in that country's native language.

In the original game, this was tied with Round 8 (Canadian character
actors) as the easiest round and, if current-events rounds are
ignored, as two of four rounds tied for third-easiest in the entire
season. (The other two were: Game 8, Round 3 - Name the Artwork -
and Game 7, Round 3 - Dickens Characters.)

> 1. Italy.

Arrivederci or ciao. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Japan.

Sayonara. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Spain.

Adiós or hasta la vista. 4 for everyone.

> 4. France.

Au revoir or adieu. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Germany.

Auf Wiedersehen or (informal) Tschüss. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Ireland (Gaelic).

Slán ("slawn"). (Not "Sláinte", which means "health" and is a
drinking toast like "cheers".)

> 7. In which language is the word for goodbye "lehitraot"?

Hebrew. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 8. In what country would you expect someone to say "zài jiàn"?

China. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 9. In which major language is the word for goodbye "ma'as-salama"?

Arabic. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. In which language is the word for goodbye "vale" ["VAH-lay" or
> "WAH-lay"]?

Latin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Weird Art Trivia

> A1. What famous artist was arrested and charged as a
> co-conspirator in the theft of the "Mona Lisa" from the
> Louvre in 1911, and for forging a copy which was sold as
> the original?

Pablo Picasso. (He was cleared.) 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> A2. What famous artist designed the logo for the candy sucker
> pop Chupa Chups?

Salvador Dalí. 4 for Joshua.

> * B. Supercontinents

> B1. Plate tectonics keeps juggling the continents, bringing them
> back together into a supercontinent roughly every 450,000,000
> years after each split. Given the name of the supercontinent
> that was in existence 200,000,000-300,000,000 years ago.
> Its name derives from the Greek term for "entire Earth".

Pangaea. 4 for everyone.

> B2. Give the name of the supercontinent in existence 750,000,000-
> 1,100,000,000 years ago. This name comes from the Russian
> for "to give birth".

Rodinia. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * C. Record-Holding Lakes

> C1. This lake has the longest coastline in the world for
> freshwater lakes at 2,980 km (1,851 miles), or 6,175 km
> (3,840 miles) if you count the islands within the lake.
> It's a record either way. Name the lake.

L. Huron. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> C2. The oldest known lake in the world is this Russian lake that
> fills a rift valley, and is estimated to be 25,000,000
> years old. Name the lake.

L. Baikal. 4 for everyone.

> * D. Numerical Women's Groups

> D1. What is the numerical term for the group of Canadian women
> who in 1927 challenged the Supreme Court of Canada's
> decision that women are "not persons", eventually leading
> to a change in Canadian judicial approach known as the
> "Living Tree Doctrine"?

The Famous (or Valiant) Five. (Emily Murphy, Irene Parlby, Nellie
McClung, Louise McKinney, Henrietta Edwards.) 4 for Joshua.

> D2. What is the numerical term for the group of women's liberal
> arts colleges in the US that has been considered a parallel
> to the men's -- as it was -- Ivy League?

The Seven Sisters. (Vassar, Radcliffe, Bryn Mawr, Wellesley, Barnard,
Smith, Mt. Holyoke.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Pixar Villains

> E1. Charles Muntz, voiced by Christopher Plummer, is the villain
> of which Pixar movie?

"Up!" 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> E2. Randall Boggs, voiced by Steve Buscemi, is the villain of
> which Pixar movie?

"Monsters Inc." 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * F. Quadrennial Non-Soccer World Cups

> *Note*: in each case you can answer for the next event, in 2023.

> F1. What nation will host the """next""" Rugby World Cup,
> in 2015?

2015 answer: England. 2023 answer: France. 4 for Erland.

> F2. Give either of the two nations that will co-host the
> """next""" Cricket World Cup, also in 2015.

2015 answer: Australia, New Zealand. 2023 answer: India.
4 for Erland and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Lit Can Can Sci Can Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 8 28 18 3 8 10 36 32 132
Dan Tilque 3 8 -- -- 24 0 28 20 83
Dan Blum -- -- -- -- 12 17 32 20 81
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- 4 0 32 20 56
Pete Gayde -- -- 0 10 -- -- 20 24 54

--
Mark Brader "'A matter of opinion'[?] I have to say you are
Toronto right. There['s] your opinion, which is wrong,