The sum of the intelligence of the world is constant. The population is, of course, growing.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sportsMark Brader
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sportsDan Blum
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sportsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sportsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sportsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: geography, sportsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

<7_mcnQJSTYIsM5P-nZ2dnZfqn_rNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5246&group=rec.games.trivia#5246

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 00:43:29 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 00:43 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - Geography

* Shared Deserts

1. What desert spans Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?
It's the 16th-largest desert in the world.

2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
desert in the world. What is it?

3. What desert spans Pakistan and India? It's the 18th-largest
desert in the world by size.

* Islands' Largest Cities

We name the largest city (by population) on an island; you name
the island. (Country not required.)

4. Hobart.
5. Sapporo.
6. Cagliari.

* Previously Known As

We give you a historic name of a country (perhaps from colonial
times); you give the current name.

7. Upper Volta.
8. South-West Africa.
9. French Sudan (Soudan).

* Who Borders Who?

We name all the countries surrounding a particular country, in
clockwise order; you name that country.

10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.
11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.
12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
Rwanda.

* Dissecting Norway

Please see the handout: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/norway.png>

Within the flag of Norway can be found the flags of 6 other nations
(if you aren't too fussy about things like the exact shade or
red or blue). There are almost 9, but Yugoslavia is no more,
Luxembourg requires way too pale a blue, and the need to avoid
the red leaves the blue stripes too wide for Finland.

Name the flags contained within the Norwegian flag:

13. Rectangle B.
14. Rectangle E.
15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
name *either*.

So there were three decoys, only two of which are actual national
flags (assuming the hoist is to the left, as is conventional).
Identify the two countries if you like for fun, but for no points.

16. Rectangle A.

17. Rectangle C.

18. Rectangle F.

** Final, Round 6 - Sports

* Name the Soccer Player

*Note*: In each case you must name the person in the photo whether
the description is out of date or not.

1. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/1.jpg>
Argentinean, """current""" FIFA player of the year.

2. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/2.jpg>
Portuguese, former FIFA player of the year.

3. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/3.jpg>
Dutchman, """current""" Barclay's Premier League Golden Boot
holder, and England's Professional Footballers Association
Player of the Year.

* Name the Poker Player

*Note*: Again, name only the person in the photo.

4. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/4.jpg>
Canadian poker player. He is """currently""" second-highest
in career tournament winnings at over $16,000,000 US.

5. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/5.jpg>
American, known as the "Poker Brat". He """currently""" has
the record for most World Series of Poker bracelets, at 11.

6. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/6.jpg>
American, third on the all-time tournament money list. He """is
considered""" by many as the greatest all-around player in
the world.

* Canadian Female Athletes

7. Name the """current""" Senator and former alpine skier who was
voted the Canadian Female Athlete of the Century in a 1999
poll of Canadian sportswriters and broadcasters conducted by
the Canadian Press.

8. The Lou Marsh Trophy is awarded annually for the top athlete
in Canada as selected by 11 registered organisations (CBC,
Rogers Sportsnet, La Presse, etc.). In 1999 this award went to
a woman, Caroline Brunet. In *what sport* was she exceptional?

9. Name the Russian-born Canadian who won gold (4×100 m relay) and
silver (100 m dash) in Amsterdam in 1928. In a single day of
the National Track Championship she placed first in discus,
shot put, 200 m dash, hurdles, and long jump, and second in two
other events. She was also an accomplished basketball, hockey,
softball, golf, and lacrosse player. The """current""" Canadian
Press award for Female Athlete of the Year is named for her.

* Sporting Regulations

We give you an """official rule""" from the governing body of a
sport; you name the *sport*.

10. "13.1. The first team listed in the official program will wear
white caps or the caps reflecting the colour of their country
and will start the game to the left of the official table.
The other team will wear blue caps or caps of a contrasting
colour and will start the game to the right of the table."

11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
shall be of 20 minutes duration."

12. "262 - 3.3 In the event of a Refusal or a Run-out, the Athlete
must restart the course at the obstacle where the Fault was
made."

After completing the triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
nafjrerq "rdhrfgevna" sbe nal fcbeg: bxnl, gung vf n fcbeg, ohg
arireguryrff jr arrq n zber fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhccyl vg.

* American Football Penalties

Name the penalties indicated in the NFL or NCAA by these signals.
(CFL signals are different.) *Note*: I am only accepting the
answers that were correct at the original name. Some signals may
have changed.

13. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/13.png> The ref locks
his elbow and moves his forearm from beside his head forward,
as in a throwing motion.

14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/14.png> The ref moves
both arms parallel from shoulder to knee height, by the left
side of his body, palms open.

15. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/15.png> The ref pushes
both arms away from his chest until his arms are fully extended,
palms out.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "... trapped in a twisty little maze
msb@vex.net of backslashes ..." -- Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

<temk1b$2q$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5248&group=rec.games.trivia#5248

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 03:20:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 03:20 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Shared Deserts

> 1. What desert spans Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?
> It's the 16th-largest desert in the world.

Karakorum

> 2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
> Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
> desert in the world. What is it?

Mojave

> * Islands' Largest Cities

> 4. Hobart.

Tasmania

> 5. Sapporo.

Hokkaido

> 6. Cagliari.

Sardinia

> * Previously Known As

> 7. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 8. South-West Africa.

Namibia

> 9. French Sudan (Soudan).

Chad

> * Who Borders Who?

> 10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.

Belarus

> 12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
> Rwanda.

Uganda

> * Dissecting Norway

> 13. Rectangle B.

Netherlands

> 14. Rectangle E.

Croatia; Slovenia

> 15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
> name *either*.

Malta

> * Name the Poker Player

> 5. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/5.jpg>
> American, known as the "Poker Brat". He """currently""" has
> the record for most World Series of Poker bracelets, at 11.

Moneymaker

> * Sporting Regulations

> 10. "13.1. The first team listed in the official program will wear
> white caps or the caps reflecting the colour of their country
> and will start the game to the left of the official table.
> The other team will wear blue caps or caps of a contrasting
> colour and will start the game to the right of the table."

table tennis

> 11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
> 40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
> shall be of 20 minutes duration."

cricket

> 12. "262 - 3.3 In the event of a Refusal or a Run-out, the Athlete
> must restart the course at the obstacle where the Fault was
> made."

steeplechase

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

<d6c89cdc-104f-4d74-8f97-908913afe5a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5249&group=rec.games.trivia#5249

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 23:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 06:35 UTC

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 7:43:33 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> * Shared Deserts
>
> 2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
> Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
> desert in the world. What is it?

Mojave

> 3. What desert spans Pakistan and India? It's the 18th-largest
> desert in the world by size.

Karakoram

> * Islands' Largest Cities
>
> We name the largest city (by population) on an island; you name
> the island. (Country not required.)
>
> 4. Hobart.

Tasmania
> 5. Sapporo.

Hokkaido
> 6. Cagliari.

Sardinia; Sicily

> * Previously Known As
>
> We give you a historic name of a country (perhaps from colonial
> times); you give the current name.
>
> 7. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso
> 8. South-West Africa.

Namibia

> 9. French Sudan (Soudan).

Mali

> * Who Borders Who?
>
> We name all the countries surrounding a particular country, in
> clockwise order; you name that country.
>
> 10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.

Belarus

> 12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
> Rwanda.

Central African Republic

> * Dissecting Norway
>
> Please see the handout: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/norway.png>
>
> Within the flag of Norway can be found the flags of 6 other nations
> (if you aren't too fussy about things like the exact shade or
> red or blue).
>
> Name the flags contained within the Norwegian flag:
>
> 13. Rectangle B.

Netherlands

> 14. Rectangle E.

Honduras
> 15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
> name *either*.

Poland; Indonesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports

> * Sporting Regulations
>
> We give you an """official rule""" from the governing body of a
> sport; you name the *sport*.
>
> 11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
> 40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
> shall be of 20 minutes duration."

cricket

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

<XnsAF04D5BEADE55Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5251&group=rec.games.trivia#5251

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:00:43 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 19:00 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> * Shared Deserts
>
> 2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
> Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
> desert in the world. What is it?

Death Valley

> 4. Hobart.

Tasmania

> 5. Sapporo.

Hokkaido

> 6. Cagliari.

Sardegna

> * Previously Known As
>
> We give you a historic name of a country (perhaps from colonial
> times); you give the current name.
>
> 7. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 8. South-West Africa.

Namibia

> 9. French Sudan (Soudan).

Tchad

> * Who Borders Who?
>
> We name all the countries surrounding a particular country, in
> clockwise order; you name that country.
>
> 10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

Kirgizistan

> 11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.

Belarus

> 12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
> Rwanda.

Uganda

> * Dissecting Norway
>
> Please see the handout: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/norway.png>
>
> Name the flags contained within the Norwegian flag:
>
> 13. Rectangle B.

Nehterlands

> 14. Rectangle E.

Costa Rica

> 15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
> name *either*.

Monaco

> So there were three decoys, only two of which are actual national
> flags (assuming the hoist is to the left, as is conventional).
> Identify the two countries if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 16. Rectangle A.

France
> 17. Rectangle C.

Poland

> 18. Rectangle F.

France
> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Name the Soccer Player
>
> 1. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/1.jpg>
> Argentinean, """current""" FIFA player of the year.

Leo Messi
> 2. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/2.jpg>
> Portuguese, former FIFA player of the year.

Cristiano Ronaldo
> 3. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/3.jpg>
> Dutchman, """current""" Barclay's Premier League Golden Boot
> holder, and England's Professional Footballers Association
> Player of the Year.

Huntelaar

> * Sporting Regulations
>
> We give you an """official rule""" from the governing body of a
> sport; you name the *sport*.
>
> 10. "13.1. The first team listed in the official program will wear
> white caps or the caps reflecting the colour of their country
> and will start the game to the left of the official table.
> The other team will wear blue caps or caps of a contrasting
> colour and will start the game to the right of the table."

Tug-of-war
> 11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
> 40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
> shall be of 20 minutes duration."

Cricket
> 12. "262 - 3.3 In the event of a Refusal or a Run-out, the Athlete
> must restart the course at the obstacle where the Fault was
> made."

Baseball

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6: geography, sports

<tes13o$2erim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5252&group=rec.games.trivia#5252

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 21:33:57 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 04:33 UTC

On 8/30/22 17:43, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography
>
> * Shared Deserts
>
> 1. What desert spans Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?
> It's the 16th-largest desert in the world.
>
> 2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
> Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
> desert in the world. What is it?

Mohave

> 3. What desert spans Pakistan and India? It's the 18th-largest
> desert in the world by size.
>

> * Islands' Largest Cities
>
> We name the largest city (by population) on an island; you name
> the island. (Country not required.)
>
> 4. Hobart.

Tasmania

> 5. Sapporo.

Hokaido

> 6. Cagliari.

Sardinia

> * Previously Known As
>
> We give you a historic name of a country (perhaps from colonial
> times); you give the current name.
>
> 7. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 8. South-West Africa.

Namibia

> 9. French Sudan (Soudan).
>

> * Who Borders Who?
>
> We name all the countries surrounding a particular country, in
> clockwise order; you name that country.
>
> 10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.

Belarus

> 12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
> Rwanda.

Uganda

> * Dissecting Norway
>
> Please see the handout: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/norway.png>
>
> Within the flag of Norway can be found the flags of 6 other nations
> (if you aren't too fussy about things like the exact shade or
> red or blue). There are almost 9, but Yugoslavia is no more,
> Luxembourg requires way too pale a blue, and the need to avoid
> the red leaves the blue stripes too wide for Finland.
>
> Name the flags contained within the Norwegian flag:
>
> 13. Rectangle B.

Netherlands

> 14. Rectangle E.
> 15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
> name *either*.

Indonesia (the other is Monaco)

> So there were three decoys, only two of which are actual national
> flags (assuming the hoist is to the left, as is conventional).
> Identify the two countries if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 16. Rectangle A.

France

> 17. Rectangle C.

Poland

> 18. Rectangle F.
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Name the Soccer Player
>
> *Note*: In each case you must name the person in the photo whether
> the description is out of date or not.
>
> 1. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/1.jpg>
> Argentinean, """current""" FIFA player of the year.
>
> 2. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/2.jpg>
> Portuguese, former FIFA player of the year.
>
> 3. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/3.jpg>
> Dutchman, """current""" Barclay's Premier League Golden Boot
> holder, and England's Professional Footballers Association
> Player of the Year.
>

> * Name the Poker Player
>
> *Note*: Again, name only the person in the photo.
>
> 4. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/4.jpg>
> Canadian poker player. He is """currently""" second-highest
> in career tournament winnings at over $16,000,000 US.
>
> 5. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/5.jpg>
> American, known as the "Poker Brat". He """currently""" has
> the record for most World Series of Poker bracelets, at 11.
>
> 6. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/6.jpg>
> American, third on the all-time tournament money list. He """is
> considered""" by many as the greatest all-around player in
> the world.
>

> * Canadian Female Athletes
>
> 7. Name the """current""" Senator and former alpine skier who was
> voted the Canadian Female Athlete of the Century in a 1999
> poll of Canadian sportswriters and broadcasters conducted by
> the Canadian Press.
>
> 8. The Lou Marsh Trophy is awarded annually for the top athlete
> in Canada as selected by 11 registered organisations (CBC,
> Rogers Sportsnet, La Presse, etc.). In 1999 this award went to
> a woman, Caroline Brunet. In *what sport* was she exceptional?
>
> 9. Name the Russian-born Canadian who won gold (4×100 m relay) and
> silver (100 m dash) in Amsterdam in 1928. In a single day of
> the National Track Championship she placed first in discus,
> shot put, 200 m dash, hurdles, and long jump, and second in two
> other events. She was also an accomplished basketball, hockey,
> softball, golf, and lacrosse player. The """current""" Canadian
> Press award for Female Athlete of the Year is named for her.
>

> * Sporting Regulations
>
> We give you an """official rule""" from the governing body of a
> sport; you name the *sport*.
>
> 10. "13.1. The first team listed in the official program will wear
> white caps or the caps reflecting the colour of their country
> and will start the game to the left of the official table.
> The other team will wear blue caps or caps of a contrasting
> colour and will start the game to the right of the table."

water polo

> 11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
> 40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
> shall be of 20 minutes duration."

cricket

> 12. "262 - 3.3 In the event of a Refusal or a Run-out, the Athlete
> must restart the course at the obstacle where the Fault was
> made."

equestrian obstacle course

> After completing the triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "rdhrfgevna" sbe nal fcbeg: bxnl, gung vf n fcbeg, ohg
> arireguryrff jr arrq n zber fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhccyl vg.
>

> * American Football Penalties
>
> Name the penalties indicated in the NFL or NCAA by these signals.
> (CFL signals are different.) *Note*: I am only accepting the
> answers that were correct at the original name. Some signals may
> have changed.
>
> 13. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/13.png> The ref locks
> his elbow and moves his forearm from beside his head forward,
> as in a throwing motion.

roughing the passer

> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/14.png> The ref moves
> both arms parallel from shoulder to knee height, by the left
> side of his body, palms open.

grounding

> 15. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/15.png> The ref pushes
> both arms away from his chest until his arms are fully extended,
> palms out.

illegal use of hands

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: geography, sports

<L9mdne_O8Zusp47-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5253&group=rec.games.trivia#5253

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: geography, sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:27:45 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 11:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23, and
> should be interpreted accordingly... For further information... see
> my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 4 - Geography

> * Shared Deserts

> 1. What desert spans Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?
> It's the 16th-largest desert in the world.

Kyzyl Kum.

> 2. Two deserts span Mexico and the United States. One is the
> Sonoran Desert (15th-largest). The other is the 11th-largest
> desert in the world. What is it?

Chihuahuan.

> 3. What desert spans Pakistan and India? It's the 18th-largest
> desert in the world by size.

Thar or Great Indian Desert.

> * Islands' Largest Cities

> We name the largest city (by population) on an island; you name
> the island. (Country not required.)

> 4. Hobart.

Tasmania, Australia. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Sapporo.

Hokkaido, Japan. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Cagliari.

Sardinia, Italy. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Joshua.

> * Previously Known As

> We give you a historic name of a country (perhaps from colonial
> times); you give the current name.

> 7. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso. 4 for everyone.

> 8. South-West Africa.

Namibia. 4 for everyone.

> 9. French Sudan (Soudan).

Mali. 4 for Joshua.

> * Who Borders Who?

> We name all the countries surrounding a particular country, in
> clockwise order; you name that country.

> 10. Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

Kyrgyzstan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 11. Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia.

Belarus. 4 for everyone.

> 12. Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania,
> Rwanda.

Uganda. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> * Dissecting Norway

> Please see the handout: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/norway.png>

> Within the flag of Norway can be found the flags of 6 other nations
> (if you aren't too fussy about things like the exact shade or
> red or blue). There are almost 9, but Yugoslavia is no more,
> Luxembourg requires way too pale a blue, and the need to avoid
> the red leaves the blue stripes too wide for Finland.

> Name the flags contained within the Norwegian flag:

> 13. Rectangle B.

The Netherlands. 4 for everyone.

> 14. Rectangle E.

Thailand.

Costa Rica has the same flag except with red and blue interchanged.

> 15. Rectangle D corresponds to two different countries' flags;
> name *either*.

Indonesia, Monaco. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> So there were three decoys, only two of which are actual national
> flags (assuming the hoist is to the left, as is conventional).
> Identify the two countries if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 16. Rectangle A.

No country.

In 2013 I looked for real flags resembling this one.
The most similar one that I found was for the state of
Alagoas in Brazil, which adds a coat of arms in the center:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/b/br-al.gif

> 17. Rectangle C.

Poland. Erland and Dan Tilque got this.

> 18. Rectangle F.

France. Erland got this.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports

> * Name the Soccer Player

> *Note*: In each case you must name the person in the photo whether
> the description is out of date or not.

> 1. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/1.jpg>
> Argentinean, """current""" FIFA player of the year.

Lionel "Leo" Messi. (The "player of the year" award is now the "Best
FIFA Men's Player", and Messi last won it for 2019.) 4 for Erland.

> 2. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/2.jpg>
> Portuguese, former FIFA player of the year.

Cristiano Ronaldo. 4 for Erland.

> 3. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/soccer/3.jpg>
> Dutchman, """current""" Barclay's Premier League Golden Boot
> holder, and England's Professional Footballers Association
> Player of the Year.

Robin Van Persie. (He last won the Golden Boot, whose full name has
changed several times, for 2012-13, and the other award for 2011-12.)

> * Name the Poker Player

> *Note*: Again, name only the person in the photo.

> 4. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/4.jpg>
> Canadian poker player. He is """currently""" second-highest
> in career tournament winnings at over $16,000,000 US.

Daniel Negreanu. (As of 2021 his career total was $42,200,000 US,
which was third-highest.)

> 5. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/5.jpg>
> American, known as the "Poker Brat". He """currently""" has
> the record for most World Series of Poker bracelets, at 11.

Phil Hellmuth. (Still true, now with 15 bracelets.)

> 6. Name this <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/poker/6.jpg>
> American, third on the all-time tournament money list. He """is
> considered""" by many as the greatest all-around player in
> the world.

Phil Ivey. (The last part is still true, but as of 2021 he was down
to 9th on the all-time list.)

> * Canadian Female Athletes

> 7. Name the """current""" Senator and former alpine skier who was
> voted the Canadian Female Athlete of the Century in a 1999
> poll of Canadian sportswriters and broadcasters conducted by
> the Canadian Press.

Nancy Greene (Raine). (Still alive, Senate appointment expired
in 2018.)

> 8. The Lou Marsh Trophy is awarded annually for the top athlete
> in Canada as selected by 11 registered organisations (CBC,
> Rogers Sportsnet, La Presse, etc.). In 1999 this award went to
> a woman, Caroline Brunet. In *what sport* was she exceptional?

Kayaking.

> 9. Name the Russian-born Canadian who won gold (4×100 m relay) and
> silver (100 m dash) in Amsterdam in 1928. In a single day of
> the National Track Championship she placed first in discus,
> shot put, 200 m dash, hurdles, and long jump, and second in two
> other events. She was also an accomplished basketball, hockey,
> softball, golf, and lacrosse player. The """current""" Canadian
> Press award for Female Athlete of the Year is named for her.

Fanny "Bobbie" Rosenfeld. (Still true.)

> * Sporting Regulations

> We give you an """official rule""" from the governing body of a
> sport; you name the *sport*.

> 10. "13.1. The first team listed in the official program will wear
> white caps or the caps reflecting the colour of their country
> and will start the game to the left of the official table.
> The other team will wear blue caps or caps of a contrasting
> colour and will start the game to the right of the table."

Water polo. (FINA rules.) No points for polo! 4 for Dan Tilque.

This is now Rule 14.1.

> 11. "15.1.1 Luncheon Interval: The interval shall be of
> 40 minutes duration. 15.1.2 Tea Interval: The interval
> shall be of 20 minutes duration."

That, as Calvin put it, would be cricket. (Conditions of Contest
for test matches. Now called "ICC World Test Championship Playing
Conditions", in which these are rules 11.2.1.1 and 11.2.1.2, and
"Luncheon" is now "Lunch".) 4 for everyone.

> 12. "262 - 3.3 In the event of a Refusal or a Run-out, the Athlete
> must restart the course at the obstacle where the Fault was
> made."

Equestrian jumping. (FEI rules for jumping events. Still true.
"Jumping" was required.)

> * American Football Penalties

> Name the penalties indicated in the NFL or NCAA by these signals.
> (CFL signals are different.) *Note*: I am only accepting the
> answers that were correct at the original name. Some signals may
> have changed.

Name, game, what's the difference?

> 13. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/13.png> The ref locks
> his elbow and moves his forearm from beside his head forward,
> as in a throwing motion.

Roughing the passer. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/14.png> The ref moves
> both arms parallel from shoulder to knee height, by the left
> side of his body, palms open.

Intentional grounding. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 15. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/sign/15.png> The ref pushes
> both arms away from his chest until his arms are fully extended,
> palms out.

Forward-pass interference or kick-catching interference.

Scores, if there are no errors:

Click here to read the complete article