The horror... the horror!

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & lit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litMark Brader
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litDan Tilque
+* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litErland Sommarskog
|`* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litErland Sommarskog
| `- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litMark Brader
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litDan Blum
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litPete Gayde
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & litswp
`* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & litMark Brader
 `* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & litswp
  `- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & litMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<iYidnSVBt75wK5f-nZ2dnZfqn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5236&group=rec.games.trivia#5236

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:29:33 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:29 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
"The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
is sufficient.

2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?

3. Royal Envelope of Concord, Ontario, will cover 50% of the
costs of adopting a cat or dog from the Toronto Humane Society
-- if the animal meets a certain criterion. What is the
requirement?

** Final, Round 2 - History

* Provinces of Ancient Rome

In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
the corresponding modern country.

1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
name either one.

* Floor-Crossers and Party-Switchers

In each case, name the politician.

4. This man was first elected to the federal Parliament for
Vancouver Kingsway as a Liberal, later becoming Minister of
Industry under Paul Martin. On 2006-02-06 he crossed the floor
to become Minister of Trade for Stephen Harper. He later served
as the Foreign Affairs Minister. He did not seek reelection
in 2008.

5. This future Canadian Prime Minister resigned a seat won in the
provincial legislature while in the Social Credit Party, to
run federally as a Progressive Conservative.

6. In 1990 this man resigned as Mulroney's Minister of the
Environment to sit as an independent. He later joined with
7 other former PC and Liberal politicians to form a new party,
under which he eventually become Leader of the Opposition.

* National Chiefs

In each case, name the illustrated National Chief of the Assemblies
of First Nations (AoFN).

7. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/7.jpg> was National
Chief from 1982 to 1985. He was elected President of the
Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations in 1968. In 2002
he was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Semitic remarks
made during a speech.

8. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/8.jpg> was National
Chief from 1985 to 1991, including he time of the Oka crisis.
From the Northwest Territories, he was President of the Dene
Nation. He later co-chaired the Royal Commission on Aboriginal
Peoples. Made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1999, he
"""has""" honorary doctorates from 7 Canadian universities.

9. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/9.jpg> was National
Chief from 1991 to 1997. A Cree from Manitoba, as a lawyer
he was a key strategist for the AoFN during the Oka crisis.
As National Chief he was a key player in the Charlottetown
Accord.

* Former Federal Party Logos

In each case, name the former Canadian federal party that used
the illustrated logo. We need its name *at the time the logo was
in use*.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/10.png
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/11.png
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png

* History of Plastic Payments

13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
-- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
What was this card called?

** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

* Posthumous Publishing

Name the authors of these posthumously published works.

1. "Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man".
2. "The Original of Laura".
3. "Armageddon in Retrospect".

* Museum Collections

In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
all the works shown.

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

* Canadian Award Statuettes

In each case, name the awards associated with the statuette.

7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/7.png>
8. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/8.jpg>
9. These awards <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/9.png>
are given to Quebec artists for excellence in music, TV, and
film; they are named after a famed singer/songwriter/actor/radio
host. In 1990 Céline Dion refused an award as anglophone artist
of the year.

* Canadian Photographers

In each case, name the photographer whose work is shown.

10. This Vancouver photographer creates large-scale genre scenes
that are often staged, photographed in individual sections,
and digitally assembled. In 2012 his picture "Dead Troops
Talk" <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/10.jpg> sold
for $3,600,000 in New York, then a record price for a Canadian
photograph and the third-highest price ever paid for any photo.

11. He is well known for his black-and-white photographs, usually
taken in long exposures on old panoramic cameras. His subjects
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/11.jpg> 18th-century
include gardens in France and Italy, North American parks of
F.L. Olmstead, asbestos slag heaps in Quebec, and the running
fence along the California-Mexico border.

12. This photographer is famous for his large-format images
of industrial landscapes. His subjects include mines, the
Alberta tar sands, and the Three Gorges Dam in China. See:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/12.jpg>.

* Born in 1912

Last week in current events we called to mind the 100th birthday
of Northrop Frye. Name these other people born that same year.
(None of them lived to 100, though.)

13. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/13.jpg> American
author and critic wrote "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood",
"Birds of America", and "The Group". She was famous for her
feud with Lillian Hellman, of whom she said that every word
Hellman wrote was a lie, including "and" and "the".

14. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/14.jpg>
Romanian-French playwright was a leading proponent of the
theater of the absurd. His works include "The Bald Soprano",
"The Lesson", and "Rhinoceros".

15. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/15.jpg> Australian
novelist and short-story writer won the 1973 Nobel Prize for
Literature. His works include "Voss", "A Fringe of Leaves",
and "The Twyborn Affair".

--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
msb@vex.net | many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<teet45$i2sm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5237&group=rec.games.trivia#5237

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 22:06:11 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 05:06 UTC

On 8/27/22 17:29, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
> son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
> as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
> "The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
> is sufficient.
>
> 2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
> by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
> across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
> 60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
> embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?
>
> 3. Royal Envelope of Concord, Ontario, will cover 50% of the
> costs of adopting a cat or dog from the Toronto Humane Society
> -- if the animal meets a certain criterion. What is the
> requirement?
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Provinces of Ancient Rome
>
> In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
> the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
> the corresponding modern country.
>
> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

France

> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Turkey

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

Portugal

> * Floor-Crossers and Party-Switchers
>
> In each case, name the politician.
>
> 4. This man was first elected to the federal Parliament for
> Vancouver Kingsway as a Liberal, later becoming Minister of
> Industry under Paul Martin. On 2006-02-06 he crossed the floor
> to become Minister of Trade for Stephen Harper. He later served
> as the Foreign Affairs Minister. He did not seek reelection
> in 2008.
>
> 5. This future Canadian Prime Minister resigned a seat won in the
> provincial legislature while in the Social Credit Party, to
> run federally as a Progressive Conservative.
>
> 6. In 1990 this man resigned as Mulroney's Minister of the
> Environment to sit as an independent. He later joined with
> 7 other former PC and Liberal politicians to form a new party,
> under which he eventually become Leader of the Opposition.
>

> * National Chiefs
>
> In each case, name the illustrated National Chief of the Assemblies
> of First Nations (AoFN).
>
> 7. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/7.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1982 to 1985. He was elected President of the
> Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations in 1968. In 2002
> he was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Semitic remarks
> made during a speech.
>
> 8. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/8.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1985 to 1991, including he time of the Oka crisis.
> From the Northwest Territories, he was President of the Dene
> Nation. He later co-chaired the Royal Commission on Aboriginal
> Peoples. Made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1999, he
> """has""" honorary doctorates from 7 Canadian universities.
>
> 9. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/9.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1991 to 1997. A Cree from Manitoba, as a lawyer
> he was a key strategist for the AoFN during the Oka crisis.
> As National Chief he was a key player in the Charlottetown
> Accord.
>

> * Former Federal Party Logos
>
> In each case, name the former Canadian federal party that used
> the illustrated logo. We need its name *at the time the logo was
> in use*.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/10.png
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/11.png
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png
>

> * History of Plastic Payments
>
> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

Diner's Club

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

BankAmericard

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
> What was this card called?

Discover

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Posthumous Publishing
>
> Name the authors of these posthumously published works.
>
> 1. "Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man".
> 2. "The Original of Laura".
> 3. "Armageddon in Retrospect".
>

> * Museum Collections
>
> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

Guggenheim Museum

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

Museum of Modern Art

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

The Louvre

--
Dan Tilque

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<XnsAF01798C33E78Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5238&group=rec.games.trivia#5238

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 11:56:55 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 09:56 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Provinces of Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

France
> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Turkey
> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

Portugal
> * Floor-Crossers and Party-Switchers
>
> 5. This future Canadian Prime Minister resigned a seat won in the
> provincial legislature while in the Social Credit Party, to
> run federally as a Progressive Conservative.

Harper
> * History of Plastic Payments
>
> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

American Express
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Museum Collections
>
> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

Am I right to asume that all are Canadian museums?

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<teg0ss$a33$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5239&group=rec.games.trivia#5239

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:16:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
> by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
> across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
> 60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
> embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?

Kinder Egg

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Provinces of Ancient Rome

> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

France

> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Hungary; Romania

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

Portugal

> * History of Plastic Payments

> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

Diners Club

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

BankAmericaCard

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
> What was this card called?

Discover

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Museum Collections

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

Rijksmuseum

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

Metropolitan Museum of Art

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

Louvre; Art Institute of Chicago

> * Born in 1912

> 13. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/13.jpg> American
> author and critic wrote "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood",
> "Birds of America", and "The Group". She was famous for her
> feud with Lillian Hellman, of whom she said that every word
> Hellman wrote was a lie, including "and" and "the".

Edna Ferber

> 14. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/14.jpg>
> Romanian-French playwright was a leading proponent of the
> theater of the absurd. His works include "The Bald Soprano",
> "The Lesson", and "Rhinoceros".

Ionesco

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<11fd2781-e1d3-460f-84ea-22b7c91ca09en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5240&group=rec.games.trivia#5240

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 12:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:46 UTC

On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 7:29:39 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
> son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
> as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
> "The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
> is sufficient.

Zanuck

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Provinces of Ancient Rome
>
> In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
> the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
> the corresponding modern country.
>
> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

France; Spain
> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Turkey

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

Portugal

> * Former Federal Party Logos
>
> In each case, name the former Canadian federal party that used
> the illustrated logo. We need its name *at the time the logo was
> in use*.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/10.png

Progressive Conservative Party

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png

Reform Party
> * History of Plastic Payments
>
> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

Diners Club

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

Bank Americard

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
> What was this card called?

Discover

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Museum Collections
>
> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

National Gallery
(note: I mean the one in London)

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

Louvre

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

Museum of Modern Art; Metropolitan Museum of Art

> * Canadian Award Statuettes
>
> In each case, name the awards associated with the statuette.

> 8. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/8.jpg>

Hangman (?)

> * Born in 1912
>
> Last week in current events we called to mind the 100th birthday
> of Northrop Frye. Name these other people born that same year.
>
> 13. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/13.jpg> American
> author and critic wrote "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood",
> "Birds of America", and "The Group". She was famous for her
> feud with Lillian Hellman, of whom she said that every word
> Hellman wrote was a lie, including "and" and "the".

McCarthy
> 14. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/14.jpg>
> Romanian-French playwright was a leading proponent of the
> theater of the absurd. His works include "The Bald Soprano",
> "The Lesson", and "Rhinoceros".

Ionesco

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<tehbiq$11db$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5241&group=rec.games.trivia#5241

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 22:25:14 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 03:25 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
> son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
> as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
> "The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
> is sufficient.
>
> 2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
> by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
> across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
> 60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
> embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?
>
> 3. Royal Envelope of Concord, Ontario, will cover 50% of the
> costs of adopting a cat or dog from the Toronto Humane Society
> -- if the animal meets a certain criterion. What is the
> requirement?
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Provinces of Ancient Rome
>
> In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
> the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
> the corresponding modern country.
>
> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

Spain

> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Turkey

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

England

> [...]
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/11.png
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png
>

> * History of Plastic Payments
>
> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

Diners Club

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

Bank Americard

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.

Universal Card

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Posthumous Publishing
>
> Name the authors of these posthumously published works.
>
> 1. "Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man".

Hemingway

> 2. "The Original of Laura".
> 3. "Armageddon in Retrospect".
>

> * Museum Collections
>
> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

Art Institute of Chicago

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

New York Metropolitan Museum

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

Rijksmuseum

> * Canadian Award Statuettes
>
> In each case, name the awards associated with the statuette.
>
> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/7.png>
> 8. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/8.jpg>
> 9. These awards <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/9.png>
> are given to Quebec artists for excellence in music, TV, and
> film; they are named after a famed singer/songwriter/actor/radio
> host. In 1990 Céline Dion refused an award as anglophone artist
> of the year.
>

> * Canadian Photographers
>
> In each case, name the photographer whose work is shown.
>
> 10. This Vancouver photographer creates large-scale genre scenes
> that are often staged, photographed in individual sections,
> and digitally assembled. In 2012 his picture "Dead Troops
> Talk" <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/10.jpg> sold
> for $3,600,000 in New York, then a record price for a Canadian
> photograph and the third-highest price ever paid for any photo.
>
> 11. He is well known for his black-and-white photographs, usually
> taken in long exposures on old panoramic cameras. His subjects
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/11.jpg> 18th-century
> include gardens in France and Italy, North American parks of
> F.L. Olmstead, asbestos slag heaps in Quebec, and the running
> fence along the California-Mexico border.
>
> 12. This photographer is famous for his large-format images
> of industrial landscapes. His subjects include mines, the
> Alberta tar sands, and the Three Gorges Dam in China. See:
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/12.jpg>.
>

> * Born in 1912
>
> Last week in current events we called to mind the 100th birthday
> of Northrop Frye. Name these other people born that same year.
> (None of them lived to 100, though.)
>
> 13. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/13.jpg> American
> author and critic wrote "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood",
> "Birds of America", and "The Group". She was famous for her
> feud with Lillian Hellman, of whom she said that every word
> Hellman wrote was a lie, including "and" and "the".
>
> 14. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/14.jpg>
> Romanian-French playwright was a leading proponent of the
> theater of the absurd. His works include "The Bald Soprano",
> "The Lesson", and "Rhinoceros".
>
> 15. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/15.jpg> Australian
> novelist and short-story writer won the 1973 Nobel Prize for
> Literature. His works include "Voss", "A Fringe of Leaves",
> and "The Twyborn Affair".

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<XnsAF031B0C918Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5242&group=rec.games.trivia#5242

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 00:09:58 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:09 UTC

Erland Sommarskog (esquel@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> * Museum Collections
>>
>> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
>> all the works shown.
>>
>> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png
>> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png
>> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png
>
> Am I right to asume that all are Canadian museums?

So let me explain what happened here. It appears that I clicked the
links for the "Former Federal Party Logos", and seeing maple leaves
on all of them lead to my sneaky comment. I got a little confused
when other entrants started mentioned renowned museums in Europe.

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<PlOdnVYsdL4GoZD-nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5243&group=rec.games.trivia#5243

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:24:27 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:24 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> > Am I right to asume that all are Canadian museums?
>
> So let me explain what happened here. It appears that I clicked the
> links for the "Former Federal Party Logos"...

Well, that explains that, all right.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto But that's what all the other
msb@vex.net individualists are doing!

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, arts & lit

<e1496843-e2e0-41c9-91f5-87f492ed40d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5244&group=rec.games.trivia#5244

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 01:42 UTC

On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 8:29:39 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
> son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
> as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
> "The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
> is sufficient.

dick zanuck

> 2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
> by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
> across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
> 60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
> embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?

kinder eggs

> 3. Royal Envelope of Concord, Ontario, will cover 50% of the
> costs of adopting a cat or dog from the Toronto Humane Society
> -- if the animal meets a certain criterion. What is the
> requirement?

it had to be black

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Provinces of Ancient Rome
>
> In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
> the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
> the corresponding modern country.
>
> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

france

> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

turkey

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

spain

> * Floor-Crossers and Party-Switchers
>
> In each case, name the politician.
>
> 4. This man was first elected to the federal Parliament for
> Vancouver Kingsway as a Liberal, later becoming Minister of
> Industry under Paul Martin. On 2006-02-06 he crossed the floor
> to become Minister of Trade for Stephen Harper. He later served
> as the Foreign Affairs Minister. He did not seek reelection
> in 2008.

emerson

> 5. This future Canadian Prime Minister resigned a seat won in the
> provincial legislature while in the Social Credit Party, to
> run federally as a Progressive Conservative.

laurier?

> 6. In 1990 this man resigned as Mulroney's Minister of the
> Environment to sit as an independent. He later joined with
> 7 other former PC and Liberal politicians to form a new party,
> under which he eventually become Leader of the Opposition.

suzanne grenier

> * National Chiefs
>
> In each case, name the illustrated National Chief of the Assemblies
> of First Nations (AoFN).
>
> 7. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/7.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1982 to 1985. He was elected President of the
> Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations in 1968. In 2002
> he was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Semitic remarks
> made during a speech.

ah-choo!

> 8. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/8.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1985 to 1991, including he time of the Oka crisis.
> From the Northwest Territories, he was President of the Dene
> Nation. He later co-chaired the Royal Commission on Aboriginal
> Peoples. Made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1999, he
> """has""" honorary doctorates from 7 Canadian universities.

erasmus

> 9. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/9.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1991 to 1997. A Cree from Manitoba, as a lawyer
> he was a key strategist for the AoFN during the Oka crisis.
> As National Chief he was a key player in the Charlottetown
> Accord.

mercedes ... ok, in my head it sounds similar to that

> * Former Federal Party Logos
>
> In each case, name the former Canadian federal party that used
> the illustrated logo. We need its name *at the time the logo was
> in use*.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/10.png

the green party

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/11.png

the green party

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png

the green party

> * History of Plastic Payments
>
> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

diner's club

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

bankamericard

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
> What was this card called?

discover

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Posthumous Publishing
>
> Name the authors of these posthumously published works.
>
> 1. "Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man".

joseph heller

> 2. "The Original of Laura".

vladimir nabokov

> 3. "Armageddon in Retrospect".

kurt vonnegut

> * Museum Collections
>
> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

the national gallery (london)

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

musee d'orsay

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

the museum of modern art (new york)

> * Canadian Award Statuettes
>
> In each case, name the awards associated with the statuette.
>
> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/7.png>

gemini awards

> 8. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/8.jpg>

arthur ellis awards

> 9. These awards <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/9.png>
> are given to Quebec artists for excellence in music, TV, and
> film; they are named after a famed singer/songwriter/actor/radio
> host. In 1990 Céline Dion refused an award as anglophone artist
> of the year.

felix award

> * Canadian Photographers
>
> In each case, name the photographer whose work is shown.
>
> 10. This Vancouver photographer creates large-scale genre scenes
> that are often staged, photographed in individual sections,
> and digitally assembled. In 2012 his picture "Dead Troops
> Talk" <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/10.jpg> sold
> for $3,600,000 in New York, then a record price for a Canadian
> photograph and the third-highest price ever paid for any photo.

wall

> 11. He is well known for his black-and-white photographs, usually
> taken in long exposures on old panoramic cameras. His subjects
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/11.jpg> 18th-century
> include gardens in France and Italy, North American parks of
> F.L. Olmstead, asbestos slag heaps in Quebec, and the running
> fence along the California-Mexico border.

james

> 12. This photographer is famous for his large-format images
> of industrial landscapes. His subjects include mines, the
> Alberta tar sands, and the Three Gorges Dam in China. See:
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/photo/12.jpg>.

africa johnson

> * Born in 1912
>
> Last week in current events we called to mind the 100th birthday
> of Northrop Frye. Name these other people born that same year.
> (None of them lived to 100, though.)
>
> 13. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/born/13.jpg> American
> author and critic wrote "Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood",
> "Birds of America", and "The Group". She was famous for her
> feud with Lillian Hellman, of whom she said that every word
> Hellman wrote was a lie, including "and" and "the".

Click here to read the complete article
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & lit

<tVidnXuX64j5MJP-nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5245&group=rec.games.trivia#5245

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 00:37:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 00:37 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Name the Hollywood producer who died this week. He was the
> son of a famous movie mogul, but achieved success on his own
> as producer of films such as "The Sound of Music", "Patton",
> "The French Connection", "The Sting", and "Jaws". The surname
> is sufficient.

Richard Zanuck. (Son of Darryl.) Joshua and Stephen got this.

> 2. Two Seattle men returning from a trip to Vancouver were detained
> by US Customs when they tried to take six of these products
> across the border. In fact, the US has seized more than
> 60,000 of them due to concerns over of a "non-nutritive object"
> embedded in each one. What is this tasty treat?

Kinder Surprise "eggs" (chocolate eggs each enclosing a toy).
Dan Blum and Stephen got this.

In 2012 I wrote: "Wikipedia says they are sold 'all over the world
excluding the United States'". Now it says they are also banned in
Chile, while US customers can legally buy a a variant called Kinder
Joy, where the toy is packaged outside the chocolate.

> 3. Royal Envelope of Concord, Ontario, will cover 50% of the
> costs of adopting a cat or dog from the Toronto Humane Society
> -- if the animal meets a certain criterion. What is the
> requirement?

It must be black. (Black animals aren't adopted as quickly as
others.) Stephen got this.

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Provinces of Ancient Rome

> In each case we name a Roman province and describe some or all of
> the places bordering it. You tell where it was located, by naming
> the corresponding modern country.

> 1. Aquitania -- bordered to the north by Lugdunensis.

France. (Lugdunensis was also in France.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. Cappadocia -- bordered to the west by Galatia, and to the north
> by Pontus and the Pontus Euxinus.

Turkey. (Pontus was also in Turkey; the Pontus Euxinus was the
Black Sea.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. Lusitania -- bordered to the south by Baetica and to the north
> by Tarraconensis. Lusitania extended into two modern countries:
> name either one.

Portugal, Spain. (Tarraconensis was also in those countries;
Baetica was in Spain.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> * Floor-Crossers and Party-Switchers

> In each case, name the politician.

> 4. This man was first elected to the federal Parliament for
> Vancouver Kingsway as a Liberal, later becoming Minister of
> Industry under Paul Martin. On 2006-02-06 he crossed the floor
> to become Minister of Trade for Stephen Harper. He later served
> as the Foreign Affairs Minister. He did not seek reelection
> in 2008.

David Emerson. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. This future Canadian Prime Minister resigned a seat won in the
> provincial legislature while in the Social Credit Party, to
> run federally as a Progressive Conservative.

Kim Campbell.

> 6. In 1990 this man resigned as Mulroney's Minister of the
> Environment to sit as an independent. He later joined with
> 7 other former PC and Liberal politicians to form a new party,
> under which he eventually become Leader of the Opposition.

Lucien Bouchard. (The Bloc Québécois.)

> * National Chiefs

> In each case, name the illustrated National Chief of the Assemblies
> of First Nations (AoFN).

> 7. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/7.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1982 to 1985. He was elected President of the
> Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations in 1968. In 2002
> he was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Semitic remarks
> made during a speech.

David Ahenakew. (He was convicted, then acquitted on appeal.
He died in 2010.)

Sorry, only giggle points for "ah-choo!"

> 8. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/8.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1985 to 1991, including he time of the Oka crisis.
> From the Northwest Territories, he was President of the Dene
> Nation. He later co-chaired the Royal Commission on Aboriginal
> Peoples. Made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1999, he
> """has""" honorary doctorates from 7 Canadian universities.

George Erasmus. (Still alive.) 4 for Stephen.

> 9. He <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/chief/9.jpg> was National
> Chief from 1991 to 1997. A Cree from Manitoba, as a lawyer
> he was a key strategist for the AoFN during the Oka crisis.
> As National Chief he was a key player in the Charlottetown
> Accord.

Ovide Mercredi. (Still alive.) 3 for Stephen.

> * Former Federal Party Logos

> In each case, name the former Canadian federal party that used
> the illustrated logo. We need its name *at the time the logo was
> in use*.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/10.png

(Canadian Reform Conservative) Alliance.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/11.png

Social Credit.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/party/12.png

Reform. (Meaning the one that first became the Alliance [answer 10]
and is now the Conservatives, not the other Reform party that is now
the Liberals, but you didn't have to be that specific.) 4 for Joshua.

> * History of Plastic Payments

> 13. Early charge cards were issued by businesses such as department
> stores, but could only be used at the issuing store. In 1950
> there appeared a charge card that was not so limited, initially
> being accepted at any of two dozen New York City establishments
> -- of a certain type, hence its name. What was this card called?

Diners Club -- as mentioned in the 1963 movie title "The Man from the
Diners' Club". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 14. The first card that allowed credit over time (instead of full
> payment every month) was this US card, first sent unsolicited
> in 1958 to 60,000 residents of Fresno, California. In 1977 it
> changed its name to Visa. What was the original name?

BankAmericard. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.
3 for Dan Blum.

To expand into some other countries, Visa bought into existing
card systems, such as Chargex in Canada and Barclaycard in the UK.
The name change to Visa was worldwide, but for a while after it,
I had a card clearly marked as a Visa card, but on which the fine
print referred to it as "This Chargex card".

> 15. In 1985, Sears introduced a credit card that had no annual fee.
> What was this card called?

Discover. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * Posthumous Publishing

> Name the authors of these posthumously published works.

> 1. "Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man".

Joseph Heller. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. "The Original of Laura".

Vladimir Nabokov. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. "Armageddon in Retrospect".

Kurt Vonnegut. 4 for Stephen.

> * Museum Collections

> In each case, name the museum whose permanent collection includes
> all the works shown.

You will, of course, remember some of the paintings from Game 8,
Round 3.

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/4.png

National Gallery (London). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

They are:
* "The Umbrellas" by Pierre-Auguste Renoir;
* "Bathers at Asnières" by Georges Seurat;
* "The Arnolfini Portrait" by Jan van Eyck;
* "Sunflowers" by Vincent van Gogh;
* "Virgin and Child with St. Anne and Infant St. John the Baptist"
by Leonardo da Vinci.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/5.png

Musée d'Orsay (Paris). 4 for Stephen.

* "Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette" by Pierre-Auguste Renoir;
* "Luncheon on the Grass" by Édouard Manet;
* self-portrait by Vincent van Gogh;
* "Arrangement in Gray and Black #1, Portrait of the Artist's
Mother" by James Whistler;
* "The Gleaners" by Jean-François Millet.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/museum/6.png

Museum of Modern Art (New York). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

* "Sleeping Gypsy" by Henri Rousseau;
* "Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth;
* "The Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh;
* "The Dance" by Henri Matisse;
* "The Young Ladies of Avignon" by Pablo Picasso.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & lit

<4c8e3025-d746-4d65-9ab4-79018e873dd7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5247&group=rec.games.trivia#5247

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:15:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 03:15 UTC

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 8:38:00 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> > 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/7.png>
> Gemini Awards.

> Scores, if there are no errors:
> --
> Mark Brader "I am taking what you write in the spirit in
> Toronto which it is intended. That's the problem."
> m...@vex.net -- Tony Cooper
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

did I miss something on #7?

swp

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, arts & lit

<7XadnbuuCdlavJL-nZ2dnZfqn_vNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5250&group=rec.games.trivia#5250

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:54:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:54 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > > 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/award/7.png>
> > Gemini Awards.

Stephen Perry:
> did I miss something on #7?

No, I missed something when preparing the round for being scored.
Everyone's answer on #7 showed up for me as a second answer on #6,
but Stephen was the only entrant who answered #7 at all, and with
#6 drawing several wrong answers, I missed seeing the anomaly.
Sorry. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His A+L
Stephen Perry 32 56 88
Joshua Kreitzer 27 15 42
Dan Tilque 24 0 24
Dan Blum 19 4 23
Pete Gayde 12 0 12
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 12
--
Mark Brader | "Well, that is a really tough question...
Toronto | I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: yes and no."