Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:31:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 11:31 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment

* Iconic Movie Scenes

In each case, name the movie the scene is from. (In the original
game these were short animated clips that repeated every second
or two, but I'm just providing stills here.)

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg

* Disney Villains by Sidekick

4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.

5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.

6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.

* Unique Oscar Movies

7. Name the 1993 movie that became the only one *based on the
storyline of a US TV series* to be nominated for Best Picture.
It didn't win Best Picture, but it did pull in Best Supporting
Actor. Note: This means an adaptation of an actual TV series;
movies whose plot includes the making of fictional TV show,
like "Tootsie", don't count.

8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
(That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
Name the movie.

9. Name the 1932 movie that became the only one ever to win the
Best Picture Oscar without a single other nomination.

* Classical Gas

10. Name the Canadian opera singer, pianist, and comedienne famous
for her parodies of classical music and opera in her one-woman
stage shows. Her best-known works were "How to Write Your
Own Gilbert and Sullivan Opera" and "The Ring of the Nibelungs
(An Analysis)".

11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
"music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
"Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
on side B.

* Reality TV Hosts

From the photo of a reality TV show host, name the *show* they
"""currently""" host.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/13.jpg

14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/14.jpg>. *Note:*
He's also been on "Hollywood Squares" and "America's Funniest
Home Videos", but despite having perhaps as much reality as
the show we want, those don't count.

15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/15.jpg

** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

* Two of a Three of a Kind

We name two elements of a famous set of three; you name the third.

1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.
2. Lies, damn lies.
3. Green circle, blue square.

* Athletes & Dairy Products

In each case, name the athlete who "got milk".

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/4.jpg
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/5.jpg
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/6.jpg

* Medieval Armaments

7. What is the specific name for a full set of armor worn by a
horse, seen here?
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/7.jpg>

8. What is the name for these 4-pointed spikes that would be
strewn about on the ground to injure the feet of men and horses?
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/8.jpg>

9. What is the specific name for the type of catapult shown,
using a counterweight and gravity for power, rather than torsion?
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/9.jpg>

* Current Sovereigns

On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
names alone will do.

Who is the """current""" monarch of...
10. Sweden?
11. Norway?
12. Belgium?

After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Bar bs gurz
hfrf n qbhoyr anzr, yvxr Cbcr Wbua Cnhy V be VV. Jr qba'g arrq gur
ahzore, ohg jr qb arrq obgu anzrf; tb onpx naq nqq bar vs arprffnel.

* Canadian Flags

What, specifically, do these flags identify?

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/13.png
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/14.png
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/15.png

--
Mark Brader | "...the average homeowner should expect...
Toronto | meteor damage every hundred million years."

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous

<tevpni$r96$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=rec.games.trivia#5255

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:52:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:52 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment

> * Iconic Movie Scenes

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg

Full Metal Jacket

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg

Fargo

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg

Blade Runner

> * Disney Villains by Sidekick

> 4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.

Ursula

> 5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.

Jafar

> 6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.

Gaston

> * Unique Oscar Movies

> 8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
> of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
> (That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
> Name the movie.

Doctor Dolittle

> * Classical Gas

> 11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
> member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
> so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
> "music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
> concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
> Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
> and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

P. D. Q. Bach

> 12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
> album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
> "Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
> on side B.

Boston Pops

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

> * Two of a Three of a Kind

> 1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.

Dr. Strangelove

> 2. Lies, damn lies.

statistics

> 3. Green circle, blue square.

red triangle

> * Medieval Armaments

> 8. What is the name for these 4-pointed spikes that would be
> strewn about on the ground to injure the feet of men and horses?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/8.jpg>

caltrops

> 9. What is the specific name for the type of catapult shown,
> using a counterweight and gravity for power, rather than torsion?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/9.jpg>

trebuchet

> * Current Sovereigns

> 10. Sweden?

Christiana

> 11. Norway?

Olaf

> 12. Belgium?

Marguerite

> * Canadian Flags

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/13.png

British Columbia

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/14.png

Newfoundland and Labrador

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous

<97c814c8-37b1-4bc7-9c2b-ccac6b6a8736n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5256&group=rec.games.trivia#5256

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 09:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:07 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 6:31:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment
>
> * Iconic Movie Scenes
>
> In each case, name the movie the scene is from. (In the original
> game these were short animated clips that repeated every second
> or two, but I'm just providing stills here.)
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg

"Full Metal Jacket"

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg

"Fargo"

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg

"Blade Runner"

> * Disney Villains by Sidekick
>
> 4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.

Ursula

> 5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.

Jafar

> 6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.

Gaston

> * Unique Oscar Movies
>
> 7. Name the 1993 movie that became the only one *based on the
> storyline of a US TV series* to be nominated for Best Picture.
> It didn't win Best Picture, but it did pull in Best Supporting
> Actor. Note: This means an adaptation of an actual TV series;
> movies whose plot includes the making of fictional TV show,
> like "Tootsie", don't count.

"The Fugitive"

> 8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
> of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
> (That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
> Name the movie.

"Oliver!"

> 9. Name the 1932 movie that became the only one ever to win the
> Best Picture Oscar without a single other nomination.

"Grand Hotel"

> * Classical Gas
>
> 11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
> member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
> so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
> "music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
> concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
> Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
> and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

P. D. Q. Bach

> 12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
> album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
> "Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
> on side B.

Boston Pops

> * Reality TV Hosts
>
> From the photo of a reality TV show host, name the *show* they
> """currently""" host.
>
> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/14.jpg>. *Note:*
> He's also been on "Hollywood Squares" and "America's Funniest
> Home Videos", but despite having perhaps as much reality as
> the show we want, those don't count.

"Dancing with the Stars"

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/15.jpg

"So You Think You Can Dance"

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Two of a Three of a Kind
>
> We name two elements of a famous set of three; you name the third.
>
> 1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.

Dr. Strangelove

> 2. Lies, damn lies.

statistics
> * Athletes & Dairy Products
>
> In each case, name the athlete who "got milk".
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/4.jpg

Danica Patrick

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/5.jpg

Michael Phelps
> * Current Sovereigns
>
> On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
> names alone will do.
>
> Who is the """current""" monarch of...
> 10. Sweden?

Carl Gustaf

> 11. Norway?

Harald

> 12. Belgium?

Albert

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous

<tf01ud$2ua8t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=rec.games.trivia#5257

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:12:42 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 17:12 UTC

On 9/3/22 04:31, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment
>
> * Iconic Movie Scenes
>
> In each case, name the movie the scene is from. (In the original
> game these were short animated clips that repeated every second
> or two, but I'm just providing stills here.)
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg

A Few Good Men

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg

The Deerhunter

> * Disney Villains by Sidekick
>
> 4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.
>
> 5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.
>
> 6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.
>

> * Unique Oscar Movies
>
> 7. Name the 1993 movie that became the only one *based on the
> storyline of a US TV series* to be nominated for Best Picture.
> It didn't win Best Picture, but it did pull in Best Supporting
> Actor. Note: This means an adaptation of an actual TV series;
> movies whose plot includes the making of fictional TV show,
> like "Tootsie", don't count.
>
> 8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
> of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
> (That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
> Name the movie.
>
> 9. Name the 1932 movie that became the only one ever to win the
> Best Picture Oscar without a single other nomination.
>

> * Classical Gas
>
> 10. Name the Canadian opera singer, pianist, and comedienne famous
> for her parodies of classical music and opera in her one-woman
> stage shows. Her best-known works were "How to Write Your
> Own Gilbert and Sullivan Opera" and "The Ring of the Nibelungs
> (An Analysis)".
>
> 11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
> member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
> so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
> "music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
> concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
> Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
> and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

P.D.Q. Bach

> 12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
> album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
> "Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
> on side B.
>

> * Reality TV Hosts
>
> From the photo of a reality TV show host, name the *show* they
> """currently""" host.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/13.jpg
>
> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/14.jpg>. *Note:*
> He's also been on "Hollywood Squares" and "America's Funniest
> Home Videos", but despite having perhaps as much reality as
> the show we want, those don't count.
>
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/15.jpg
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Two of a Three of a Kind
>
> We name two elements of a famous set of three; you name the third.
>
> 1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.
> 2. Lies, damn lies.

statistics

> 3. Green circle, blue square.
>

> * Athletes & Dairy Products
>
> In each case, name the athlete who "got milk".
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/4.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/5.jpg
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/6.jpg
>

> * Medieval Armaments
>
> 7. What is the specific name for a full set of armor worn by a
> horse, seen here?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/7.jpg>
>
> 8. What is the name for these 4-pointed spikes that would be
> strewn about on the ground to injure the feet of men and horses?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/8.jpg>

caltrops

> 9. What is the specific name for the type of catapult shown,
> using a counterweight and gravity for power, rather than torsion?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/9.jpg>

trebuchet

> * Current Sovereigns
>
> On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
> names alone will do.
>
> Who is the """current""" monarch of...
> 10. Sweden?

John Karl

> 11. Norway?
> 12. Belgium?
>
> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Bar bs gurz
> hfrf n qbhoyr anzr, yvxr Cbcr Wbua Cnhy V be VV. Jr qba'g arrq gur
> ahzore, ohg jr qb arrq obgu anzrf; tb onpx naq nqq bar vs arprffnel.
>

> * Canadian Flags
>
> What, specifically, do these flags identify?
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/13.png

Governor General of Canada

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/14.png

Ministry of Fisheries

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/15.png

UN Peacekeepers

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous

<XnsAF089479AC0A1Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5258&group=rec.games.trivia#5258

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 14:35:44 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:35 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Two of a Three of a Kind
>
> 2. Lies, damn lies.

Statistics

> 3. Green circle, blue square.

Red triangle

> * Current Sovereigns
>
> On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
> names alone will do.
>
> Who is the """current""" monarch of...
> 10. Sweden?

Carl XVI Gustaf (Don't blame me. I didn't vote for him.)

> 11. Norway?

Haakon VII

> 12. Belgium?

Leopold IV
> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Bar bs gurz
> hfrf n qbhoyr anzr, yvxr Cbcr Wbua Cnhy V be VV. Jr qba'g arrq gur
> ahzore, ohg jr qb arrq obgu anzrf; tb onpx naq nqq bar vs arprffnel.

Hm, well, without the number, it gets a little funny in our case.
When speak of (or at least in older days did) spoke of Carl Gustaf
without a number, you talked about an actor who mainly did comedies.

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8: entertainment, miscellaneous

<tf5o1m$1bi2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5259&group=rec.games.trivia#5259

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 16:00:39 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:00 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment
>
> * Iconic Movie Scenes
>
> In each case, name the movie the scene is from. (In the original
> game these were short animated clips that repeated every second
> or two, but I'm just providing stills here.)
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg

Forrest Gump

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg

Fargo

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg
>

> * Disney Villains by Sidekick
>
> 4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.

Ursula

> 5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.

Jafar

> 6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.

Gaston

> * Unique Oscar Movies
>
> 7. Name the 1993 movie that became the only one *based on the
> storyline of a US TV series* to be nominated for Best Picture.
> It didn't win Best Picture, but it did pull in Best Supporting
> Actor. Note: This means an adaptation of an actual TV series;
> movies whose plot includes the making of fictional TV show,
> like "Tootsie", don't count.
>
> 8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
> of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
> (That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
> Name the movie.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

> 9. Name the 1932 movie that became the only one ever to win the
> Best Picture Oscar without a single other nomination.

Modern Times

> * Classical Gas
>
> 10. Name the Canadian opera singer, pianist, and comedienne famous
> for her parodies of classical music and opera in her one-woman
> stage shows. Her best-known works were "How to Write Your
> Own Gilbert and Sullivan Opera" and "The Ring of the Nibelungs
> (An Analysis)".

Russell

> 11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
> member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
> so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
> "music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
> concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
> Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
> and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

PDQ Bach

> 12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
> album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
> "Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
> on side B.

Boston Pops

> * Reality TV Hosts
>
> From the photo of a reality TV show host, name the *show* they
> """currently""" host.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/13.jpg
>
> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/14.jpg>. *Note:*
> He's also been on "Hollywood Squares" and "America's Funniest
> Home Videos", but despite having perhaps as much reality as
> the show we want, those don't count.

Dancing With the Stars

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/15.jpg
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Two of a Three of a Kind
>
> We name two elements of a famous set of three; you name the third.
>
> 1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.

Dr. Strangelove

> 2. Lies, damn lies.

Statistics

> 3. Green circle, blue square.

Black diamond

> * Athletes & Dairy Products
>
> In each case, name the athlete who "got milk".
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/4.jpg

Danica Patrick

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/5.jpg

Pete Sampras

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/6.jpg

Albert Pujols

> * Medieval Armaments
>
> 7. What is the specific name for a full set of armor worn by a
> horse, seen here?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/7.jpg>
>
> 8. What is the name for these 4-pointed spikes that would be
> strewn about on the ground to injure the feet of men and horses?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/8.jpg>

Picot

> 9. What is the specific name for the type of catapult shown,
> using a counterweight and gravity for power, rather than torsion?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/9.jpg>

Trebuchet

> * Current Sovereigns
>
> On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
> names alone will do.
>
> Who is the """current""" monarch of...
> 10. Sweden?
> 11. Norway?
> 12. Belgium?
>
> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Bar bs gurz
> hfrf n qbhoyr anzr, yvxr Cbcr Wbua Cnhy V be VV. Jr qba'g arrq gur
> ahzore, ohg jr qb arrq obgu anzrf; tb onpx naq nqq bar vs arprffnel.
>

> * Canadian Flags
>
> What, specifically, do these flags identify?
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/13.png
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/14.png

Canadian Coast Guard

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/15.png

CBC

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: entertainment, miscellaneous

<k_idnQux2LUJnYr-nZ2dnZfqn_rNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5260&group=rec.games.trivia#5260

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: entertainment, miscellaneous
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 08:11:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 08:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 7 - Entertainment

> * Iconic Movie Scenes

> In each case, name the movie the scene is from. (In the original
> game these were short animated clips that repeated every second
> or two, but I'm just providing stills here.)

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/1.jpg

"Full Metal Jacket". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/2.jpg

"Fargo". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/iconic/3.jpg

"Blade Runner". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * Disney Villains by Sidekick

> 4. Name the Disney villain whose sidekicks are Flotsam and Jetsam
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/4.jpg>.

Ursula the Sea Witch. ("The Little Mermaid".) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Iago
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/5.jpg>.

Jafar. ("Aladdin" et seq.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. Name the Disney villain whose sidekick is Le Fou
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/side/6.jpg>.

Gaston. ("Beauty and the Beast".) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> * Unique Oscar Movies

> 7. Name the 1993 movie that became the only one *based on the
> storyline of a US TV series* to be nominated for Best Picture.
> It didn't win Best Picture, but it did pull in Best Supporting
> Actor. Note: This means an adaptation of an actual TV series;
> movies whose plot includes the making of fictional TV show,
> like "Tootsie", don't count.

"The Fugitive". (Tommy Lee Jones; still the only one.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. 1968 was the first year of the MPAA ratings, and also the year
> of the """only""" Best Picture that was G-rated upon its release.
> (That is, retrospective ratings for older movies don't count.)
> Name the movie.

"Oliver!" (Still the only one.) 4 for Joshua.

According to the IMDB, two of the other Best Picture nominees that
year were also G-rated in original release form: "Funny Girl" and
"Romeo and Juliet". "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (1968) wasn't a Best
Picture nominee and won no Oscars. As to "Doctor Dolittle" (1968),
as far as I can tell it never had an MPAA rating in original release,
but was G-rated retrospectively. It did win two other Oscars but
not Best Picture.

> 9. Name the 1932 movie that became the only one ever to win the
> Best Picture Oscar without a single other nomination.

"Grand Hotel". (Still the only one.) 4 for Joshua.

> * Classical Gas

> 10. Name the Canadian opera singer, pianist, and comedienne famous
> for her parodies of classical music and opera in her one-woman
> stage shows. Her best-known works were "How to Write Your
> Own Gilbert and Sullivan Opera" and "The Ring of the Nibelungs
> (An Analysis)".

Anna Russell. 4 for Pete.

> 11. A long-running classical music parody is about this fictional
> member of a musical family, born in Leipzig in 1742, and his
> so-called "newly discovered" works. For over 40 years his
> "music" has been played on syndicated radio shows and NPR
> concerts and in 24 albums. Pieces include "Concerto for
> Piano vs. Orchestra", and "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds
> and Percussion". Name the fictional musician.

P.D.Q. Bach. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 12. Name the musical ensemble that put out the 1979 disco tribute
> album "Saturday Night Fiedler". It included covers of songs like
> "Stayin' Alive", with a single long track called "Bachamania"
> on side B.

The Boston Pops. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> * Reality TV Hosts

> From the photo of a reality TV show host, name the *show* they
> """currently""" host.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/13.jpg

"So You Think You Can Dance" (still true) or "The Choice" (2012 only).
(Cat Deeley.)

> 14. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/14.jpg>. *Note:*
> He's also been on "Hollywood Squares" and "America's Funniest
> Home Videos", but despite having perhaps as much reality as
> the show we want, those don't count.

"Dancing with the Stars". (Tom Bergeron, until 2019.) 4 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/host/15.jpg

"Big Brother". (Still true: Julie Chen Moonves, host since 2000 on
the US version.)

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

> * Two of a Three of a Kind

> We name two elements of a famous set of three; you name the third.

> 1. Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley.

Dr. Strangelove. (Characters played by Peter Sellers in that movie.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. Lies, damn lies.

Statistics. (Mark Twain's three kinds of lies.) 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. Green circle, blue square.

Black diamond. (Difficulty symbols for ski runs.) 4 for Pete.

http://www.allstaractivities.com/sports/skiing/skierscode_files/image001.gif

I didn't know these myself, but in 2013 I was stunned that no one
here did. I guessed a red triangle, by the way, as did some others
here, but that was wrong because in the CTV network logo

https://www.lyngsat.com/logo/tv/cc/ctv-ca.png

it's the circle that's red and the triangle that's green.

> * Athletes & Dairy Products

> In each case, name the athlete who "got milk".

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/4.jpg

Danica Patrick (car racing; yes, it counts as athletic). 4 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/5.jpg

Pete Sampras (tennis). 4 for Pete.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/milk/6.jpg

Albert Pujols (baseball). 4 for Pete.

> * Medieval Armaments

> 7. What is the specific name for a full set of armor worn by a
> horse, seen here?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/7.jpg>

Barb, bard, or barding.

Champron, criniere, cruopiere, flanchard, and peyrtal were not
acceptable, as they only protect certain parts of the horse.

> 8. What is the name for these 4-pointed spikes that would be
> strewn about on the ground to injure the feet of men and horses?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/8.jpg>

Caltrops, calthrops, caltraps, galthraps, galtraps, galtrops, cheval
traps, or crow's foots. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

If suitably sized and styled, they can also puncture the tires of
typical road vehicles:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Caltrop.jpg

And these WW2-era anti-tank devices have a different geometry and
a different interaction with the vehicle, but share a similar
spirit of working no matter which way up they are:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-719-0240-26%2C_Pas_de_Calais%2C_Atlantikwall%2C_Panzersperren.jpg

> 9. What is the specific name for the type of catapult shown,
> using a counterweight and gravity for power, rather than torsion?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/arms/9.jpg>

Trebuchet. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Current Sovereigns

> On this triple we generously do not ask for the numbers; the
> names alone will do.

> Who is the """current""" monarch of...
> 10. Sweden?

King Carl XVI Gustav. (Still true; both names required.)
4 for Joshua and Erland.

Erland adds: "Don't blame me. I didn't vote for him." and notes that
Carl Gustaf without a number is, or used to be, a comedy actor.

> 11. Norway?

King Harald V. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> 12. Belgium?

2012 answer: King Albert II. 2022 answer: King Philippe.
4 for Joshua.

> * Canadian Flags

> What, specifically, do these flags identify?

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/13.png

Governor-General. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/flag/14.png

Coast Guard. 4 for Pete.