A man who fishes for marlin in ponds will put his money in Etruscan bonds.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and bordersPete Gayde
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: vitamins and bordersMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<7g6dncn_dauD9Ib-nZ2dnZfqn_pi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5270&group=rec.games.trivia#5270

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 16:26:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 16:26 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion
posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
in an auction in Arizona last week?

2. As a result of games played on January 20, the Baltimore Ravens
and the San Francisco 49ers earned berths in the Super Bowl
game on February 3; and, for the first time, the two opposing
head coaches are brothers. Their first names are John and Jim,
but what is their family name?

* Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins

This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
where we need the *letter and number*.

1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?
2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?
3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?
4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?
5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?
6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?
7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?
8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?
9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?
10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
water-soluble?

* Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links

We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)

1. Syria, Egypt.
2. Gabon, Nigeria.
3. Laos, Malaysia.
4. Norway, Estonia.
5. Turkey, Pakistan.
6. Slovakia, Serbia.
7. Bolivia, Ecuador.
8. Namibia, Tanzania.
9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.
10. Switzerland, Hungary.

--
Mark Brader ...the scariest words of the afternoon:
Toronto "Hey, don't worry, I've read all about

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<tfglbu$s2i$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5272&group=rec.games.trivia#5272

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 00:22:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 00:22 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
> in an auction in Arizona last week?

Batmobile

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins

> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

B1

> 2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?

> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?

B6

> 4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?

> 5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?

> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?

B2; B3

> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

B1; B3

> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?

C; A

> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links

> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Israel

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Democratic Republic of the Congo

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Thailand

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Finland

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Afghanistan

> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Croatia

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Chile

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

Botswana

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

Honduras

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<f439b378-d7ad-4b48-b864-4e82ece98c74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5274&group=rec.games.trivia#5274

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 19:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 02:30 UTC

On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 11:26:12 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
> in an auction in Arizona last week?

Batmobile

> 2. As a result of games played on January 20, the Baltimore Ravens
> and the San Francisco 49ers earned berths in the Super Bowl
> game on February 3; and, for the first time, the two opposing
> head coaches are brothers. Their first names are John and Jim,
> but what is their family name?

Harbaugh

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins
>
> This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
> case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
> where we need the *letter and number*.
>
> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

B1

> 2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?

> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?

B2

> 4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?

B3

> 5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?

> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?

B6

> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?

> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links
>
> We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
> country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)
>
> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Israel

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Cameroon

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Thailand

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Russia

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Iran
> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Hungary

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Peru

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

Zimbabwe

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

El Salvador; Honduras

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<tfihpi$1i5s0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5275&group=rec.games.trivia#5275

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:33:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:33 UTC

On 9/9/22 09:26, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
> in an auction in Arizona last week?

Batmobile

> 2. As a result of games played on January 20, the Baltimore Ravens
> and the San Francisco 49ers earned berths in the Super Bowl
> game on February 3; and, for the first time, the two opposing
> head coaches are brothers. Their first names are John and Jim,
> but what is their family name?
>

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins
>
> This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
> case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
> where we need the *letter and number*.
>
> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

B2

> 2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?

> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?

B8

> 4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?

B12

> 5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?

> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?

B1

> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?

> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links
>
> We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
> country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)
>
> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Israel

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Cameroon

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Thailand

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Russia

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Iran

> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Croatia

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Peru

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

Zambia

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

Honduras

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<XnsAF0FB0BB6516Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5276&group=rec.games.trivia#5276

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:22:24 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 15:22 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins
>
> This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
> case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
> where we need the *letter and number*.
>
> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?

> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?

B12

> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

B1

> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?

> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links
>
> We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
> country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)
>
> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Isreal

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Cameroon

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Thailand

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Russia

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Iran

> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Hungary

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Peru

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

Zambia

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

Honduras

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: vitamins and borders

<tflikh$174i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5277&group=rec.games.trivia#5277

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 16:06:25 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:06 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion
> posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
> in an auction in Arizona last week?
>
> 2. As a result of games played on January 20, the Baltimore Ravens
> and the San Francisco 49ers earned berths in the Super Bowl
> game on February 3; and, for the first time, the two opposing
> head coaches are brothers. Their first names are John and Jim,
> but what is their family name?
>

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins
>
> This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
> case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
> where we need the *letter and number*.
>
> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

B8; B12

> 2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?
> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?
> 4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?
> 5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?
> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?
> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?
> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?
> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links
>
> We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
> country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)
>
> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Israel

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Sierra Leone; Ivory Coast

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Cambodia

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Russia

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Iran

> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Hungary

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Brazil

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

DR Congo

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

El Salvador

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: vitamins and borders

<pxmdnccwQY7G6YL-nZ2dnZfqnPpi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5278&group=rec.games.trivia#5278

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: vitamins and borders
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:03:07 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. What iconic vehicle from the '60s was sold for $4,300,000
> in an auction in Arizona last week?

The Batmobile from the TV series "Batman". Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque got this.

See:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/1960s_Batmobile_(FMC).jpg

> 2. As a result of games played on January 20, the Baltimore Ravens
> and the San Francisco 49ers earned berths in the Super Bowl
> game on February 3; and, for the first time, the two opposing
> head coaches are brothers. Their first names are John and Jim,
> but what is their family name?

Harbaugh. Joshua got this.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Science - Vitamins

> This is a round about vitamins. Some answers may repeat. In each
> case give the *letter of the vitamin*, except for the B vitamins,
> where we need the *letter and number*.

In 2013 Gareth Owen commented:
All those hours spent reading cereal packets not entirely wasted!
That's the spirit!

> 1. Niacin is better known as what vitamin?

B3.

> 2. Retinol is better known as what vitamin?

A. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Thiamine is better known as what vitamin?

B1.

> 4. Calciferol is better known as what vitamin?

D. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Tocopherol is better known as what vitamin?

E. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Riboflavin is better known as what vitamin?

B2. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Rickets is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

D. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 8. Beriberi is caused by a deficiency of what vitamin?

B1. 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. In 1913, what become the first vitamin to be isolated?

A (yes!). 4 for Joshua and Erland. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Besides the B vitamin complex, what other vitamin is
> water-soluble?

C. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Geography - Country Links

> We'll name two countries, and you give us the name of the only
> country which """touches""" both of them. (Land borders only.)

None of these have changed.

> 1. Syria, Egypt.

Israel. 4 for everyone.

> 2. Gabon, Nigeria.

Cameroon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. Laos, Malaysia.

Thailand. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 4. Norway, Estonia.

Russia. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 5. Turkey, Pakistan.

Iran. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. Slovakia, Serbia.

Hungary. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 7. Bolivia, Ecuador.

Peru. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 8. Namibia, Tanzania.

Zambia. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 9. Guatemala, Nicaragua.

Honduras. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. Switzerland, Hungary.

Austria. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Geo
Erland Sommarskog 16 40 56
Dan Tilque 16 36 52
Joshua Kreitzer 16 34 50
Dan Blum 28 16 44
Pete Gayde 4 20 24

--
Mark Brader | "Which humans of that time did here whether this place
Toronto | was cult place already at that time, extracts itself