We are governed not by armies and police but by ideas. -- Mona Caird, 1892

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actorsPete Gayde
`* RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actorsMark Brader
 +- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actorsJoshua Kreitzer
 `* RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actorsDan Blum
  `- RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actorsMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<u6Kcnf1t0aIXcr7-nZ2dnZfqnPVh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5289&group=rec.games.trivia#5289

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 03:37:46 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 03:37 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion
posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature

1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
Read Across America Day. Name this author.

2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
Give the title.

3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
(Micimackó utca). Name the character.

4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
The National Education Association named the book one of its
"Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
Give the title of this book.

5. This award is awarded to a writer whose body of work has been
"inspirational to Canadian youth." It is one of the top awards
for Canadian children's writers. The award """has been presented
annually""" since 1963. In 2012 it was awarded to Paul Yee.
Name the award.

6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
Name this alleged author.

7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
*men who collected* these folk tales.

8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
Who was this author?

9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

* Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses

1. This actor was born in Toronto in 1935 to Polish Jewish
immigrants. Better known for his work on TV series on CBC and
CBS, he also appeared in about 20 movies, including a role
playing a cocaine dealer with a seemingly endless supply of
cash in the award-winning 1980 movie "Atlantic City", starring
Burt Lancaster. In 2001 he died during open-heart surgery.
Who was he?

2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?

3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
Who was this actress?

4. Born in downtown Toronto in 1918 with the name of Louis
Weingarter, this Canadian comedic actor had a stage name very
similar to an American actor whose real name was Marion Robert
Morrison. What was the stage name of the Canadian actor,
who died in 1990? First and last name required exactly.

5. Born in 1896 in Toronto, this actor died in 1983 on the same
day as David Niven, his co-star in the movies "The Prisoner
of Zenda" and "A Matter of Life and Death" (or "Stairway to
Heaven"). He is best known for portraying the TV character
Dr. Gillespie. Who was he?

6. This actor who was born in Toronto in 1883, and won an Oscar
for Best Supporting Actor in for a 1948 movie directed by
his son. He died in 1950. Who was he?

7. Born in Toronto in 1916, this comedic actor was a cousin of
one of the co-creators of Superman. He died in 2002. Who was
this actor?

8. At the age of 82, at the Academy Awards presentation for 2011,
this Toronto-born actor became the oldest actor ever to win
an Oscar. Who """is""" he?

9. Born March 14, 1968, this Toronto-born actress """is""" best
known for her role of Anne Shirley in the 1985 CBC mini-series
"Anne of Green Gables".

10. Born in Toronto, January 8, 1979, this actress/screenwriter/
director first became widely known at the age of 9 for her
role in "The Road to Avonlea". In 1991, at the age of 12,
she caused controversy by wearing a peace sign at an awards
ceremony, to protest the first Gulf War. Who """is""" she?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
msb@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<f9e40358-90c2-4453-895f-617e950ab1c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5290&group=rec.games.trivia#5290

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:22:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 04:22 UTC

On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 10:37:50 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature
>
> 1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
> In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
> His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
> Read Across America Day. Name this author.

Dr. Seuss
> 2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
> It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
> Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
> the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
> author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
> Give the title.

"The Incredible Journey"

> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimackó utca). Name the character.

Winnie the Pooh

> 4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
> grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
> By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
> The National Education Association named the book one of its
> "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
> Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
> time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
> illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
> Give the title of this book.

"Goodnight Moon"

> 6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
> his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
> have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
> in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
> of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
> Name this alleged author.

Aesop
> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

the brothers Grimm

> 8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
> illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
> for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
> celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
> of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
> Who was this author?

Beatrix Potter

> 9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
> C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
> is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
> The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
> The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

"The Silver Chair"

> 10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
> Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
> Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
> his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

Charles Dodgson
> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses

> 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?

Dave Thomas
> 3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
> of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
> the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
> died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
> Who was this actress?

Mary Pickford

> 4. Born in downtown Toronto in 1918 with the name of Louis
> Weingarter, this Canadian comedic actor had a stage name very
> similar to an American actor whose real name was Marion Robert
> Morrison. What was the stage name of the Canadian actor,
> who died in 1990? First and last name required exactly.

Johnny Wayne

> 6. This actor who was born in Toronto in 1883, and won an Oscar
> for Best Supporting Actor in for a 1948 movie directed by
> his son. He died in 1950. Who was he?

Walter Huston
> 7. Born in Toronto in 1916, this comedic actor was a cousin of
> one of the co-creators of Superman. He died in 2002. Who was
> this actor?

Shuster

> 8. At the age of 82, at the Academy Awards presentation for 2011,
> this Toronto-born actor became the oldest actor ever to win
> an Oscar. Who """is""" he?

Christopher Plummer

> 9. Born March 14, 1968, this Toronto-born actress """is""" best
> known for her role of Anne Shirley in the 1985 CBC mini-series
> "Anne of Green Gables".

Megan Follows

> 10. Born in Toronto, January 8, 1979, this actress/screenwriter/
> director first became widely known at the age of 9 for her
> role in "The Road to Avonlea". In 1991, at the age of 12,
> she caused controversy by wearing a peace sign at an awards
> ceremony, to protest the first Gulf War. Who """is""" she?

Sarah Polley

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<XnsAF14B1D722D81Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5291&group=rec.games.trivia#5291

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:28:56 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:28 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature
>
> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimackó utca). Name the character.

Winnie the Pooh

(Chance has it that right now I'm listening to an album by the Hungarian
group KFT. On another album they have a song where they sing "Micimackó".
I've never known what it means. Until now.)
> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

The Grimm Brothers

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<tg2s9u$jbe$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5292&group=rec.games.trivia#5292

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:11:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature

> 1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
> In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
> His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
> Read Across America Day. Name this author.

Dr. Seuss

> 2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
> It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
> Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
> the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
> author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
> Give the title.

Incredible Journey

> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimack? utca). Name the character.

Winnie the Pooh

> 4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
> grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
> By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
> The National Education Association named the book one of its
> "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
> Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
> time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
> illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
> Give the title of this book.

Goodnight Moon

> 6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
> his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
> have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
> in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
> of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
> Name this alleged author.

Aesop

> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

the Grimm brothers

> 8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
> illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
> for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
> celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
> of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
> Who was this author?

Beatrix Potter

> 9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
> C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
> is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
> The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
> The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

> 10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
> Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
> Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
> his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

Charles Dodgson

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses

> 3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
> of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
> the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
> died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
> Who was this actress?

Mary Pickford

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<tg41n6$4jcb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5293&group=rec.games.trivia#5293

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 01:49:40 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:49 UTC

On 9/15/22 20:37, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature
>
> 1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
> In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
> His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
> Read Across America Day. Name this author.

Dr Seuss

> 2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
> It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
> Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
> the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
> author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
> Give the title.
>
> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimackó utca). Name the character.

Pinocchio

> 4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
> grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
> By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
> The National Education Association named the book one of its
> "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
> Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
> time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
> illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
> Give the title of this book.

The Cat in the Hat

> 5. This award is awarded to a writer whose body of work has been
> "inspirational to Canadian youth." It is one of the top awards
> for Canadian children's writers. The award """has been presented
> annually""" since 1963. In 2012 it was awarded to Paul Yee.
> Name the award.
>
> 6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
> his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
> have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
> in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
> of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
> Name this alleged author.

Aesop

> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

Grimm

> 8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
> illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
> for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
> celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
> of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
> Who was this author?
>
> 9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
> C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
> is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
> The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
> The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

> 10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
> Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
> Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
> his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

Charles Dodgson

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses
>
> 1. This actor was born in Toronto in 1935 to Polish Jewish
> immigrants. Better known for his work on TV series on CBC and
> CBS, he also appeared in about 20 movies, including a role
> playing a cocaine dealer with a seemingly endless supply of
> cash in the award-winning 1980 movie "Atlantic City", starring
> Burt Lancaster. In 2001 he died during open-heart surgery.
> Who was he?
>
> 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?
>
> 3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
> of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
> the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
> died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
> Who was this actress?
>
> 4. Born in downtown Toronto in 1918 with the name of Louis
> Weingarter, this Canadian comedic actor had a stage name very
> similar to an American actor whose real name was Marion Robert
> Morrison. What was the stage name of the Canadian actor,
> who died in 1990? First and last name required exactly.
>
> 5. Born in 1896 in Toronto, this actor died in 1983 on the same
> day as David Niven, his co-star in the movies "The Prisoner
> of Zenda" and "A Matter of Life and Death" (or "Stairway to
> Heaven"). He is best known for portraying the TV character
> Dr. Gillespie. Who was he?
>
> 6. This actor who was born in Toronto in 1883, and won an Oscar
> for Best Supporting Actor in for a 1948 movie directed by
> his son. He died in 1950. Who was he?
>
> 7. Born in Toronto in 1916, this comedic actor was a cousin of
> one of the co-creators of Superman. He died in 2002. Who was
> this actor?
>
> 8. At the age of 82, at the Academy Awards presentation for 2011,
> this Toronto-born actor became the oldest actor ever to win
> an Oscar. Who """is""" he?
>
> 9. Born March 14, 1968, this Toronto-born actress """is""" best
> known for her role of Anne Shirley in the 1985 CBC mini-series
> "Anne of Green Gables".
>
> 10. Born in Toronto, January 8, 1979, this actress/screenwriter/
> director first became widely known at the age of 9 for her
> role in "The Road to Avonlea". In 1991, at the age of 12,
> she caused controversy by wearing a peace sign at an awards
> ceremony, to protest the first Gulf War. Who """is""" she?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: kiddie lit, TO actors

<tg5k9s$hd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5294&group=rec.games.trivia#5294

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:13:00 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 23:13 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion
> posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature
>
> 1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
> In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
> His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
> Read Across America Day. Name this author.

Dr Seuss

> 2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
> It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
> Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
> the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
> author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
> Give the title.
>
> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimackó utca). Name the character.

Winnie the Pooh

> 4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
> grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
> By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
> The National Education Association named the book one of its
> "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
> Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
> time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
> illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
> Give the title of this book.

Goodnight Moon

> 5. This award is awarded to a writer whose body of work has been
> "inspirational to Canadian youth." It is one of the top awards
> for Canadian children's writers. The award """has been presented
> annually""" since 1963. In 2012 it was awarded to Paul Yee.
> Name the award.

Newberry

> 6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
> his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
> have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
> in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
> of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
> Name this alleged author.

Aesop

> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

Grimm brothers

> 8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
> illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
> for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
> celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
> of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
> Who was this author?

Beatrix Potter

> 9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
> C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
> is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
> The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
> The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

The Sun Treader

> 10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
> Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
> Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
> his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

Dodgson

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses
>
> 1. This actor was born in Toronto in 1935 to Polish Jewish
> immigrants. Better known for his work on TV series on CBC and
> CBS, he also appeared in about 20 movies, including a role
> playing a cocaine dealer with a seemingly endless supply of
> cash in the award-winning 1980 movie "Atlantic City", starring
> Burt Lancaster. In 2001 he died during open-heart surgery.
> Who was he?

Peter Finch

> 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?
>
> 3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
> of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
> the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
> died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
> Who was this actress?

Pickford

> 4. Born in downtown Toronto in 1918 with the name of Louis
> Weingarter, this Canadian comedic actor had a stage name very
> similar to an American actor whose real name was Marion Robert
> Morrison. What was the stage name of the Canadian actor,
> who died in 1990? First and last name required exactly.

David Wayne

> 5. Born in 1896 in Toronto, this actor died in 1983 on the same
> day as David Niven, his co-star in the movies "The Prisoner
> of Zenda" and "A Matter of Life and Death" (or "Stairway to
> Heaven"). He is best known for portraying the TV character
> Dr. Gillespie. Who was he?
>
> 6. This actor who was born in Toronto in 1883, and won an Oscar
> for Best Supporting Actor in for a 1948 movie directed by
> his son. He died in 1950. Who was he?

Ladd

> 7. Born in Toronto in 1916, this comedic actor was a cousin of
> one of the co-creators of Superman. He died in 2002. Who was
> this actor?
>
> 8. At the age of 82, at the Academy Awards presentation for 2011,
> this Toronto-born actor became the oldest actor ever to win
> an Oscar. Who """is""" he?

Plummer

> 9. Born March 14, 1968, this Toronto-born actress """is""" best
> known for her role of Anne Shirley in the 1985 CBC mini-series
> "Anne of Green Gables".
>
> 10. Born in Toronto, January 8, 1979, this actress/screenwriter/
> director first became widely known at the age of 9 for her
> role in "The Road to Avonlea". In 1991, at the age of 12,
> she caused controversy by wearing a peace sign at an awards
> ceremony, to protest the first Gulf War. Who """is""" she?

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors

<1fOdnR4TzdBqZbr-nZ2dnZfqnPhj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5295&group=rec.games.trivia#5295

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 05:07:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 05:07 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Children's Literature

> 1. He wrote 46 children's books, but had no children of his own.
> In 1991 he left an estate valued at roughly $500,000,000.
> His birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the date for National
> Read Across America Day. Name this author.

Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 2. This is a story about three animals traveling in the wilderness.
> It became a bestseller after it formed the basis of a successful
> Disney film. It is marketed as a children's book, and won
> the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award, but the
> author has stated that it was not intended as a children's book.
> Give the title.

"The Incredible Journey" (by Sheila Burnford). 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 3. Benjamin Hoff used this character to explain Taoism.
> Frederick Crews rewrote stories from the same character's world
> in abstruse academic jargon to satirize philosophical approaches.
> John T. Williams uses the character as a backdrop to illustrate
> the works of philosophers, including Descartes, Kant, Plato,
> and Nietzsche. And the character also has a street named after
> him in Warsaw (Ulica Kubusia Puchatka) and another in Budapest
> (Micimackó utca). Name the character.

Winnie-the-Pooh (by A.A. Milne). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 4. This children's book slowly became a bestseller. Annual sales
> grew from about 1,500 copies in 1953 to 20,000 in 1970.
> By 1990 the total number of copies sold was more than 4,000,000.
> The National Education Association named the book one of its
> "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" and the "School Library
> Journal" named it one of the top 100 picture books of all
> time. One feature of this book is the wealth of detail in the
> illustrations. The entire story takes place in a single room.
> Give the title of this book.

"Goodnight Moon" (by Margaret Wise Brown). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 5. This award is awarded to a writer whose body of work has been
> "inspirational to Canadian youth." It is one of the top awards
> for Canadian children's writers. The award """has been presented
> annually""" since 1963. In 2012 it was awarded to Paul Yee.
> Name the award.

Vicky Metcalf Award. (Still true, at least as of 2021.)

> 6. Although no actual writings by this author survive and even
> his existence remains uncertain, numerous tales credited to him
> have been gathered across the centuries and in many languages,
> in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day. In many
> of the tales, animals speak and have human characteristics.
> Name this alleged author.

Aesop. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. The popularity of these folk tales endured well beyond the
> lifetimes of the men who collected them. The tales are
> available in more than 100 translations and have been adapted
> to popular films. In the mid 20th century the tales were used
> as propaganda by the Third Reich. Later in the 20th century
> psychologists such as Bruno Bettelheim reaffirmed the value of
> the work, in spite of the cruelty and violence in the original
> versions of some of the tales that were sanitized. Name the
> *men who collected* these folk tales.

Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. I accepted "Grimm" alone, although it
seems to name only one of them. So, 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. She was an English author who lived 1866-1943. She was an
> illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known
> for her imaginative children's books featuring animals, which
> celebrated the British landscape and country life. The titles
> of most of her books begin with "The Tale of" or "The Story of".
> Who was this author?

Beatrix Potter. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. "The Chronicles of Narnia", a series of 7 high-fantasy novels by
> C.S. Lewis, is considered a classic of children's literature and
> is the author's best-known work. The first book is "The Lion,
> The Witch, and The Wardrobe"; the second is "Prince Caspian:
> The Return to Narnia". Name *any one* of the remaining 5 books.

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", "The Silver Chair", "The Horse and
His Boy", "The Magician's Nephew", "The Last Battle". 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

The movie adaptations of 2005-10 covered the first three of the
series.

> 10. He gave us "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the
> Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", "The Hunting of the
> Snark", "A Tangled Tale", and other works. Lewis Carroll was
> his nom de plume. What was this author's *real* name?

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana Entertainment - Toronto-Born Actors/Actresses

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. This actor was born in Toronto in 1935 to Polish Jewish
> immigrants. Better known for his work on TV series on CBC and
> CBS, he also appeared in about 20 movies, including a role
> playing a cocaine dealer with a seemingly endless supply of
> cash in the award-winning 1980 movie "Atlantic City", starring
> Burt Lancaster. In 2001 he died during open-heart surgery.
> Who was he?

Al Waxman.

> 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?

Rick Moranis. (Still alive.)

Personally, I would have said he was most famous for his movie work,
such as the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "Ghostbusters" movies.

> 3. Born in 1892 in Toronto, this actress was one of four co-founders
> of United Artists. Later she became one of the 36 founders of
> the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Before she
> died in 1979 she became a dual Canadian-American citizen.
> Who was this actress?

Mary Pickford. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. Born in downtown Toronto in 1918 with the name of Louis
> Weingarter, this Canadian comedic actor had a stage name very
> similar to an American actor whose real name was Marion Robert
> Morrison. What was the stage name of the Canadian actor,
> who died in 1990? First and last name required exactly.

Johnny Wayne. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Born in 1896 in Toronto, this actor died in 1983 on the same
> day as David Niven, his co-star in the movies "The Prisoner
> of Zenda" and "A Matter of Life and Death" (or "Stairway to
> Heaven"). He is best known for portraying the TV character
> Dr. Gillespie. Who was he?

Raymond Massey. (On "Dr. Kildare".)

> 6. This actor who was born in Toronto in 1883, and won an Oscar
> for Best Supporting Actor in for a 1948 movie directed by
> his son. He died in 1950. Who was he?

Walter Huston. ("The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".) 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Born in Toronto in 1916, this comedic actor was a cousin of
> one of the co-creators of Superman. He died in 2002. Who was
> this actor?

Frank Shuster (cousin of Joe Shuster and longtime comedy partner of
<answer 4>). 4 for Joshua.

> 8. At the age of 82, at the Academy Awards presentation for 2011,
> this Toronto-born actor became the oldest actor ever to win
> an Oscar. Who """is""" he?

Christopher Plummer. (He died in 2021; he won Best Supporting Actor
for "Beginners".) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. Born March 14, 1968, this Toronto-born actress """is""" best
> known for her role of Anne Shirley in the 1985 CBC mini-series
> "Anne of Green Gables".

Megan Follows. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Born in Toronto, January 8, 1979, this actress/screenwriter/
> director first became widely known at the age of 9 for her
> role in "The Road to Avonlea". In 1991, at the age of 12,
> she caused controversy by wearing a peace sign at an awards
> ceremony, to protest the first Gulf War. Who """is""" she?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors

<ebc744ac-3eb9-4000-a193-4410a26460bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5298&group=rec.games.trivia#5298

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 06:02:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:02 UTC

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 12:07:07 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> > for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> > Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?
>
> Rick Moranis. (Still alive.)
>
> Personally, I would have said he was most famous for his movie work,
> such as the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "Ghostbusters" movies.

Thank you for pointing this out. I had been planning to make a similar comment when the answers were published.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors

<tgdc61$al5$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5302&group=rec.games.trivia#5302

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:43:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> > 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
> > for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
> > Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?

> Rick Moranis. (Still alive.)

> Personally, I would have said he was most famous for his movie work,
> such as the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "Ghostbusters" movies.

Indeed, I assumed the other Brother, whose name I could not quite
remember, must have been meant.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: kiddie lit, TO actors

<IkqdnUF1XsMX57f-nZ2dnZfqn_pj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5304&group=rec.games.trivia#5304

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 02:44:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 02:44 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 2. Born in Toronto in 1953, this comedic actor """is""" most famous
>>> for portraying one of the Mackenzie Brothers. (The other
>>> Mackenzie brother was born in St. Catharines.) Who is he?
>
>> Rick Moranis. (Still alive.)
>
>> Personally, I would have said he was most famous for his movie work,
>> such as the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "Ghostbusters" movies.
Dan Blum:
> Indeed, I assumed the other Brother, whose name I could not quite
> remember, must have been meant.

Dave Thomas (also still alive). I had to look him up; I was never a fan.
--
Mark Brader "There are three rules for writing the novel.
Toronto Unfortunately no one knows what they are."