Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius. -- Josh Billings

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophiesMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophiesDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophiesDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophiesJoshua Kreitzer
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: Great Recession, trophiesMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies

<fs-cnVPCHdhWKa3-nZ2dnZfqnPpg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5311&group=rec.games.trivia#5311

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 20:06:35 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 20:06 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 4 - History - The Great Recession

This is a round on the 2008 financial crisis, or the Great Recession
as it has come to be known.

1. What does MBS stand for?
2. What does TARP stand for?
3. Name the either the US treasury secretary in 2008 or the one
who succeeded him in 2009.

4. In US dollars within $50,000,000,000, what was the initial
amount of money allocated to TARP?

5. Washington Mutual was the 6th largest bank in the US.
It collapsed and was acquired by what bank?

6. Which major US auto company claimed that they did not receive
any bailout money during the crisis?

7. After Bear Stearns was taken over in May 2008, which investment
bank filed for bankruptcy protection in September 2008?

8. Which insurance company initially received $80,000,000,000 in
credit from the US government to deal with its financial
problems?

9. The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature of 2010 went to what
movie that tried to explain the crisis?

10. Wachovia was the 4th largest bank in the US. Wachovia was
bought out by another bank. Wachovia broke the agreement with
that bank and merged into yet another bank. Name either one
of those other two banks.

* Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Trophies of Champions

In this round we will give you the name of a trophy and you have to
provide the *league -- or the specific tournament or competition, as
the case may be* -- that the trophy is associated with. For example,
if we said the Stanley Cup, we would be looking for the NHL.

1. Claret Jug.
2. Vanier Cup.
3. Webb Ellis Cup.
4. Wanamaker Trophy.
5. Larry O'Brien Cup.
6. Borg-Warner Trophy.
7. Vince Lombardi Trophy.
8. Commissioner's Trophy.
9. Nextel Cup, formerly known as the Winston Cup and Grand National.
10. Calder Cup. (Not the Calder Memorial Trophy for NHL rookie
of the year.)

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I wish to God these calculations had been
msb@vex.net | executed by steam!" -- Charles Babbage, 1821

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies

<tgunpv$245a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5312&group=rec.games.trivia#5312

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 04:46:04 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:46 UTC

On 9/25/22 13:06, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - History - The Great Recession
>
> This is a round on the 2008 financial crisis, or the Great Recession
> as it has come to be known.
>
> 1. What does MBS stand for?
> 2. What does TARP stand for?
> 3. Name the either the US treasury secretary in 2008 or the one
> who succeeded him in 2009.
>
> 4. In US dollars within $50,000,000,000, what was the initial
> amount of money allocated to TARP?
>
> 5. Washington Mutual was the 6th largest bank in the US.
> It collapsed and was acquired by what bank?

Chase Bank

> 6. Which major US auto company claimed that they did not receive
> any bailout money during the crisis?

Ford

> 7. After Bear Stearns was taken over in May 2008, which investment
> bank filed for bankruptcy protection in September 2008?

AIG

> 8. Which insurance company initially received $80,000,000,000 in
> credit from the US government to deal with its financial
> problems?
>
> 9. The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature of 2010 went to what
> movie that tried to explain the crisis?
>
> 10. Wachovia was the 4th largest bank in the US. Wachovia was
> bought out by another bank. Wachovia broke the agreement with
> that bank and merged into yet another bank. Name either one
> of those other two banks.
>

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Trophies of Champions
>
> In this round we will give you the name of a trophy and you have to
> provide the *league -- or the specific tournament or competition, as
> the case may be* -- that the trophy is associated with. For example,
> if we said the Stanley Cup, we would be looking for the NHL.
>
> 1. Claret Jug.

British Open

> 2. Vanier Cup.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
> 4. Wanamaker Trophy.
> 5. Larry O'Brien Cup.

NBA

> 6. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 7. Vince Lombardi Trophy.

NFL

> 8. Commissioner's Trophy.

MLB

> 9. Nextel Cup, formerly known as the Winston Cup and Grand National.

NASCAR

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies

<tgvtd9$u4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5313&group=rec.games.trivia#5313

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:27:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - History - The Great Recession

> 3. Name the either the US treasury secretary in 2008 or the one
> who succeeded him in 2009.

Geithner

> 5. Washington Mutual was the 6th largest bank in the US.
> It collapsed and was acquired by what bank?

Wells Fargo; SunTrust

> 6. Which major US auto company claimed that they did not receive
> any bailout money during the crisis?

GM

> 7. After Bear Stearns was taken over in May 2008, which investment
> bank filed for bankruptcy protection in September 2008?

Merrill Lynch

> 8. Which insurance company initially received $80,000,000,000 in
> credit from the US government to deal with its financial
> problems?

AIG

> 9. The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature of 2010 went to what
> movie that tried to explain the crisis?

Too Big to Fail

> 10. Wachovia was the 4th largest bank in the US. Wachovia was
> bought out by another bank. Wachovia broke the agreement with
> that bank and merged into yet another bank. Name either one
> of those other two banks.

Wells Fargo; SunTrust

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Trophies of Champions

> 6. Borg-Warner Trophy.

US Tennis Association

> 7. Vince Lombardi Trophy.

NFL

> 9. Nextel Cup, formerly known as the Winston Cup and Grand National.

PGA

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: Great Recession, trophies

<b3572eb2-6e15-401e-b027-578399e7cacbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5314&group=rec.games.trivia#5314

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 00:09 UTC

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 3:06:39 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - History - The Great Recession
>
> This is a round on the 2008 financial crisis, or the Great Recession
> as it has come to be known.
>
> 1. What does MBS stand for?

mortgage backed securities

> 2. What does TARP stand for?

Troubled Assets Relief Program

> 6. Which major US auto company claimed that they did not receive
> any bailout money during the crisis?

Ford
> 8. Which insurance company initially received $80,000,000,000 in
> credit from the US government to deal with its financial
> problems?

AIG
> 9. The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature of 2010 went to what
> movie that tried to explain the crisis?

"Inside Job"

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Trophies of Champions
>
> In this round we will give you the name of a trophy and you have to
> provide the *league -- or the specific tournament or competition, as
> the case may be* -- that the trophy is associated with. For example,
> if we said the Stanley Cup, we would be looking for the NHL.
>
> 1. Claret Jug.

The Open Championship

> 5. Larry O'Brien Cup.

NBA

> 6. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500

> 7. Vince Lombardi Trophy.

NFL

> 8. Commissioner's Trophy.

Major League Baseball

> 9. Nextel Cup, formerly known as the Winston Cup and Grand National.

NASCAR

> 10. Calder Cup. (Not the Calder Memorial Trophy for NHL rookie
> of the year.)

American Hockey League

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: Great Recession, trophies

<s1GdnZ4-mIegjqj-nZ2dnZfqn_hj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5315&group=rec.games.trivia#5315

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: Great Recession, trophies
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 03:38:37 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 03:38 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 4 - History - The Great Recession

> This is a round on the 2008 financial crisis, or the Great Recession
> as it has come to be known.

> 1. What does MBS stand for?

Mortgage-Backed Security. 4 for Joshua.

Nobody guessed "Mark Brader Stuart" in 2013, or this time either. :-(

> 2. What does TARP stand for?

Troubled Asset Relief Program. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Name the either the US treasury secretary in 2008 or the one
> who succeeded him in 2009.

Henry Paulson, Timothy Geithner. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. In US dollars within $50,000,000,000, what was the initial
> amount of money allocated to TARP?

$700,000,000,000 (accepting $650,000,000,000-750,000,000,000).

> 5. Washington Mutual was the 6th largest bank in the US.
> It collapsed and was acquired by what bank?

J.P. Morgan Chase. (Accepting "J.P. Morgan" or "Chase".)
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. Which major US auto company claimed that they did not receive
> any bailout money during the crisis?

Ford. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 7. After Bear Stearns was taken over in May 2008, which investment
> bank filed for bankruptcy protection in September 2008?

Lehman Brothers.

> 8. Which insurance company initially received $80,000,000,000 in
> credit from the US government to deal with its financial
> problems?

AIG. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature of 2010 went to what
> movie that tried to explain the crisis?

"Inside Job". 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Wachovia was the 4th largest bank in the US. Wachovia was
> bought out by another bank. Wachovia broke the agreement with
> that bank and merged into yet another bank. Name either one
> of those other two banks.

Citigroup (accepting "Citibank" or similar), Wells Fargo.
3 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Trophies of Champions

> In this round we will give you the name of a trophy and you have to
> provide the *league -- or the specific tournament or competition, as
> the case may be* -- that the trophy is associated with. For example,
> if we said the Stanley Cup, we would be looking for the NHL.

> 1. Claret Jug.

British Open golf tournament. I reluctantly accepted "The Open
Championship", because, well, that is what they actually call it.
4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 2. Vanier Cup.

Canadian university football.

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

Rugby Union world champion.

> 4. Wanamaker Trophy.

PGA golf championship.

> 5. Larry O'Brien Cup.

NBA. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 6. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Vince Lombardi Trophy.

NFL (Super Bowl). 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. Commissioner's Trophy.

Major League Baseball (World Series). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 9. Nextel Cup, formerly known as the Winston Cup and Grand National.

NASCAR. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 10. Calder Cup. (Not the Calder Memorial Trophy for NHL rookie
> of the year.)

AHL. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 TOTALS