Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital riversMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital riversDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital riversJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital riversDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital riversErland Sommarskog
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: celeb/pols, capital riversMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<QYWdnfvvcfoPfKD-nZ2dnZfqn_pj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5328&group=rec.games.trivia#5328

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 19:57:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Why did the police raid Le Parc Banquet Hall in Markham,
the night of February 3, arresting 6 people and dispersing
2,300 others?

2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?

* Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians

In this round, we are looking for actors, singers, journalists,
and the like who became politicians -- or in one case, the reverse.
Name each person described.

1. This singer and actor was part of a duo in the 1960s and '70s;
he went on to become mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992,
and served in Congress between 1995 and 1998.

2. This actor and acclaimed director served as mayor of Carmel
from 1986 to 1988.

3. This future politician was involved in "Saturday Night Live",
primarily as a writer. He occasionally performed as well,
between 1985 and 1995, being best known for his character Stuart
Smalley. In 2009 he was elected as a senator from Minnesota.

4. Speaking of Minnesota, this former wrestler and actor served
as governor there from 1999 to 2003.

5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
*California*, from 2003 to 2011.

6. This actor, principally known for his role on "The Love Boat",
served in Congress 1987-95.

7. This character actor, best known for his roles on "Law & Order"
and in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Die
Hard 2", served as a senator from Tennessee 1994-2003.

8. This talk show host was mayor of Cincinnati from 1977 to 1978.

9. This long-time CTV political journalist became a senator in 2009,
representing his home province of PEI.

10. This long-time journalist, who has worked for all of the major
Canadian networks and NBC, became a Conservative MP in 2008 and
"""is currently""" the Minister of the Environment. The full
name is required.

* Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers

1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
What is the fourth?

2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
(Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
national capital does it pass through in between?

3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
across the Congo River.

5. There are two national capitals on the Niger River. One is
Bamako, Mali; what is the other?

6. Lisbon, Portugal, is located near the mouth of what major
Iberian river? Answer in English or Portuguese.

7. There are two national capital cities on the Mekong River.
One is Phnom Penh (Cambodia); what is the other?

8. What river runs through Prague? Answer in Czech or German.

9. Khartoum, Sudan, is on what river and its two main tributaries?

10. What river runs through Hanoi, Vietnam? Answer in English
or Vietnamese.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Perhaps their software was written by
msb@vex.net a Byzan-tine-ager" -- Peter Neumann

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<thktuf$lf4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5329&group=rec.games.trivia#5329

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 21:45:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 21:45 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
> token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?

cat

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians

> 1. This singer and actor was part of a duo in the 1960s and '70s;
> he went on to become mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992,
> and served in Congress between 1995 and 1998.

Sonny Bono

> 2. This actor and acclaimed director served as mayor of Carmel
> from 1986 to 1988.

Clint Eastwood

> 3. This future politician was involved in "Saturday Night Live",
> primarily as a writer. He occasionally performed as well,
> between 1985 and 1995, being best known for his character Stuart
> Smalley. In 2009 he was elected as a senator from Minnesota.

Al Franken

> 4. Speaking of Minnesota, this former wrestler and actor served
> as governor there from 1999 to 2003.

Jesse Ventura

> 5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
> *California*, from 2003 to 2011.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

> 6. This actor, principally known for his role on "The Love Boat",
> served in Congress 1987-95.

Fred Grandy

> 7. This character actor, best known for his roles on "Law & Order"
> and in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Die
> Hard 2", served as a senator from Tennessee 1994-2003.

Fred Thompson

> 8. This talk show host was mayor of Cincinnati from 1977 to 1978.

Jerry Springer

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers

> 1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
> River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
> What is the fourth?

Budapest

> 2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
> (Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
> national capital does it pass through in between?

Zagreb

> 3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

Bangkok

> 4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
> across the Congo River.

Kinshasa

> 6. Lisbon, Portugal, is located near the mouth of what major
> Iberian river? Answer in English or Portuguese.

Tagus

> 7. There are two national capital cities on the Mekong River.
> One is Phnom Penh (Cambodia); what is the other?

Vientiane

> 9. Khartoum, Sudan, is on what river and its two main tributaries?

Nile

> 10. What river runs through Hanoi, Vietnam? Answer in English
> or Vietnamese.

Red River

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<8b2ae18e-6084-4102-b8bc-2bd7bc06414fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5330&group=rec.games.trivia#5330

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:04:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 02:04 UTC

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 2:57:12 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
> token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?

cat

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians
>
> In this round, we are looking for actors, singers, journalists,
> and the like who became politicians -- or in one case, the reverse.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the questions, I don't see anyone here who did the reverse -- that is, started as a politician and then became an actor, singer, or journalist.

> Name each person described.
>
> 1. This singer and actor was part of a duo in the 1960s and '70s;
> he went on to become mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992,
> and served in Congress between 1995 and 1998.

Sonny Bono

> 2. This actor and acclaimed director served as mayor of Carmel
> from 1986 to 1988.

Clint Eastwood

> 3. This future politician was involved in "Saturday Night Live",
> primarily as a writer. He occasionally performed as well,
> between 1985 and 1995, being best known for his character Stuart
> Smalley. In 2009 he was elected as a senator from Minnesota.

Al Franken

> 4. Speaking of Minnesota, this former wrestler and actor served
> as governor there from 1999 to 2003.

Jesse Ventura

> 5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
> *California*, from 2003 to 2011.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

> 6. This actor, principally known for his role on "The Love Boat",
> served in Congress 1987-95.

Fred Grandy

> 7. This character actor, best known for his roles on "Law & Order"
> and in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Die
> Hard 2", served as a senator from Tennessee 1994-2003.

Fred Thompson

> 8. This talk show host was mayor of Cincinnati from 1977 to 1978.

Jerry Springer

> 9. This long-time CTV political journalist became a senator in 2009,
> representing his home province of PEI.
>
> 10. This long-time journalist, who has worked for all of the major
> Canadian networks and NBC, became a Conservative MP in 2008 and
> """is currently""" the Minister of the Environment. The full
> name is required.
>
> * Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers
>
> 1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
> River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
> What is the fourth?

Bucharest

> 2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
> (Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
> national capital does it pass through in between?

Zagreb
> 3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

Bangkok

> 4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
> across the Congo River.

Kinshasa

> 5. There are two national capitals on the Niger River. One is
> Bamako, Mali; what is the other?

Niamey

> 7. There are two national capital cities on the Mekong River.
> One is Phnom Penh (Cambodia); what is the other?

Vientiane

> 8. What river runs through Prague? Answer in Czech or German.

Moldau; Vltava

> 9. Khartoum, Sudan, is on what river and its two main tributaries?

Nile

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<thm6oh$391i8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5331&group=rec.games.trivia#5331

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 02:22:25 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 09:22 UTC

On 10/5/22 12:57, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why did the police raid Le Parc Banquet Hall in Markham,
> the night of February 3, arresting 6 people and dispersing
> 2,300 others?
>
> 2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
> token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians
>
> In this round, we are looking for actors, singers, journalists,
> and the like who became politicians -- or in one case, the reverse.
> Name each person described.
>
> 1. This singer and actor was part of a duo in the 1960s and '70s;
> he went on to become mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992,
> and served in Congress between 1995 and 1998.

Sonny Bono

> 2. This actor and acclaimed director served as mayor of Carmel
> from 1986 to 1988.

Jack Nicholson

> 3. This future politician was involved in "Saturday Night Live",
> primarily as a writer. He occasionally performed as well,
> between 1985 and 1995, being best known for his character Stuart
> Smalley. In 2009 he was elected as a senator from Minnesota.

Franken

> 4. Speaking of Minnesota, this former wrestler and actor served
> as governor there from 1999 to 2003.

Ventura

> 5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
> *California*, from 2003 to 2011.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

> 6. This actor, principally known for his role on "The Love Boat",
> served in Congress 1987-95.
>
> 7. This character actor, best known for his roles on "Law & Order"
> and in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Die
> Hard 2", served as a senator from Tennessee 1994-2003.

Thompson

> 8. This talk show host was mayor of Cincinnati from 1977 to 1978.
>
> 9. This long-time CTV political journalist became a senator in 2009,
> representing his home province of PEI.
>
> 10. This long-time journalist, who has worked for all of the major
> Canadian networks and NBC, became a Conservative MP in 2008 and
> """is currently""" the Minister of the Environment. The full
> name is required.
>

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers
>
> 1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
> River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
> What is the fourth?

Bucharest

> 2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
> (Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
> national capital does it pass through in between?

Zagreb

> 3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

Kuala Lumpur ??

> 4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
> across the Congo River.

Kinshasa

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<XnsAF28F1F58E40AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5332&group=rec.games.trivia#5332

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 23:47:07 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 21:47 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> 2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
> token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?

Cat

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians
>
> 5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
> *California*, from 2003 to 2011.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
> * Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers
>
> 1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
> River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
> What is the fourth?

Budapest

> 2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
> (Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
> national capital does it pass through in between?

Zagreb
> 3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

Bangkok

> 4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
> across the Congo River.

Kinshasa
> 5. There are two national capitals on the Niger River. One is
> Bamako, Mali; what is the other?

Niamey
> 6. Lisbon, Portugal, is located near the mouth of what major
> Iberian river? Answer in English or Portuguese.

Tejo
> 7. There are two national capital cities on the Mekong River.
> One is Phnom Penh (Cambodia); what is the other?

Vientianne
> 8. What river runs through Prague? Answer in Czech or German.

Moldau
> 9. Khartoum, Sudan, is on what river and its two main tributaries?

The Nile

RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: celeb/pols, capital rivers

<-fucnRUjxO_Tz9_-nZ2dnZfqnPhi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5333&group=rec.games.trivia#5333

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: celeb/pols, capital rivers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 04:47:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 04:47 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Why did the police raid Le Parc Banquet Hall in Markham,
> the night of February 3, arresting 6 people and dispersing
> 2,300 others?

They were shocked, shocked to learn that illegal gambling (on the
Super Bowl) was going on there.

> 2. As a result of world-wide voting, the iron-shaped monopoly
> token was replaced by a token shaped like what animal?

Cat. Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland got this.

One commentator observed that, as a result, the immaculate clothes
that people previously played the game in would from now on not only
be wrinkled, but covered in cat hairs.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Celebrities Who Become Politicians

> In this round, we are looking for actors, singers, journalists,
> and the like who became politicians -- or in one case, the reverse.

To be more precise, or *also* the reverse.

> Name each person described.

This was the easiest round in the original game. Unless otherwise
noted, they are all still alive.

> 1. This singer and actor was part of a duo in the 1960s and '70s;
> he went on to become mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992,
> and served in Congress between 1995 and 1998.

Sonny Bono. (He died in 1998.) Either first or last name was
sufficient, but in fact everyone who answered in 2013 gave both.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This actor and acclaimed director served as mayor of Carmel
> from 1986 to 1988.

Clint Eastwood. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. This future politician was involved in "Saturday Night Live",
> primarily as a writer. He occasionally performed as well,
> between 1985 and 1995, being best known for his character Stuart
> Smalley. In 2009 he was elected as a senator from Minnesota.

Al Franken. (He resigned from the Senate in 2018.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Speaking of Minnesota, this former wrestler and actor served
> as governor there from 1999 to 2003.

Jesse Ventura. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. And this well-known action star served as governor of
> *California*, from 2003 to 2011.

Arnold Schwarzenegger. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

<answer 4> and <answer 5> co-starred in two movies, both in 1987 --
"Predator" and "The Running Man". Ventura also had a cameo in
Schwarzenegger's 1997 movie "Batman & Robin".

> 6. This actor, principally known for his role on "The Love Boat",
> served in Congress 1987-95.

Fred Grandy. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. This character actor, best known for his roles on "Law & Order"
> and in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Die
> Hard 2", served as a senator from Tennessee 1994-2003.

Fred Dalton Thompson. (He died in 2015.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

He worked mostly in movies, including the two listed above,
before being a senator, but he returned to acting afterwards,
including his run on "Law & Order" a senator. And after that,
he went back to politics, and then back to acting again.

> 8. This talk show host was mayor of Cincinnati from 1977 to 1978.

Jerry Springer. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

By the way, he was born *in a London Underground tube station*.
This was during World War II when many of the stations doubled as
bomb shelters.

> 9. This long-time CTV political journalist became a senator in 2009,
> representing his home province of PEI.

Mike Duffy. (He left the Senate in 2021 due to the age limit.)

> 10. This long-time journalist, who has worked for all of the major
> Canadian networks and NBC, became a Conservative MP in 2008 and
> """is currently""" the Minister of the Environment. The full
> name is required.

Peter Kent. (He lost his cabinet position later in 2013.)

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Geography - Capital Rivers

> 1. No less than four national capital cities are on the Danube
> River. Three of them are Vienna, Bratislava, and Belgrade.
> What is the fourth?

Budapest (Hungary). 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

Part of the Danube is indeed in Romania, but Bucharest isn't on it;
it's on the Dambovita River.

> 2. The Sava River converges with the Ljubljanica at Ljubljana
> (Slovenia), and with the Danube at Belgrade (Serbia). What other
> national capital does it pass through in between?

Zagreb (Croatia). 4 for everyone.

> 3. What national capital is on the Chao Phraya River?

Bangkok (Thailand). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

Kuala Lumpur is on the Klang River.

> 4. Name *either* of the two national capitals that face each other
> across the Congo River.

Brazzaville, Kinshasa (Congo, the other Congo). 4 for everyone.

> 5. There are two national capitals on the Niger River. One is
> Bamako, Mali; what is the other?

Niamey (Niger). 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 6. Lisbon, Portugal, is located near the mouth of what major
> Iberian river? Answer in English or Portuguese.

Tagus, Tejo. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

> 7. There are two national capital cities on the Mekong River.
> One is Phnom Penh (Cambodia); what is the other?

Vientiane (Laos). 4 for everyone.

> 8. What river runs through Prague? Answer in Czech or German.

Vltava, Moldau. 4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Erland.

> 9. Khartoum, Sudan, is on what river and its two main tributaries?

Nile. (White Nile, Blue Nile, but Nile was the required answer.)
4 for everyone.

> 10. What river runs through Hanoi, Vietnam? Answer in English
> or Vietnamese.

Red, Hong (Ha) or (Song) Cai. 4 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Dan Blum 32 32 64
Joshua Kreitzer 32 28 60
Erland Sommarskog 4 36 40
Dan Tilque 20 16 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson