Death is Nature's way of recycling human beings.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: QueLit, chemists

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemistsMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemistsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemistsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemistsDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemistsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: QueLit, chemistsMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists

<tsidnSFy4vrS39v-nZ2dnZfqn_hi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5340&group=rec.games.trivia#5340

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:27:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature

Given the work or works and year of publication, and in some cases
additional information, name the writer. All are Quebec writers,
in any language; but they may have been born elsewhere.

1. "Kamouraska", 1970.
2. "Beautiful Losers", 1966.
3. "Maria Chapdelaine", 1913.
4. "The Hockey Sweater", 1979.
5. "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz", 1959.
6. "The Tin Flute" ("Bonheur d'occasion"), 1947.
7. "Les Belles-soeurs" ("The Sisters-in-Law"), 1965.
8. "Two Solitudes", 1945. Born in Nova Scotia, but lived and
wrote in Montreal.

9. "My Heart is Broken and other stories", 1964. From Montreal,
but lived in Paris.

10. "The Luck of Ginger Coffey", 1960; "Black Robe", 1985.
From Belfast, but lived and wrote in Montreal.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists

In each case, name the famous chemist (or ancient philosopher).

1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
Chemistry" in 1868.

3. English scientist who discovered the properties of hydrogen in
1766 (describing it as "inflammable air"), and showed that
water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.

4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
fire, and water.

5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

6. Greek who developed a theory that the world consisted of tiny,
indivisible particles he called atoms.

7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

8. English scientist who discovered the chemical elements sodium,
potassium, magnesium, barium, calcium, and strontium in the
early 19th century.

9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
William Scheele.

10. Irish "Father of Chemistry" who developed his law of gases,
by which the volume of a gas varies inversely with pressure at
a constant temperature.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Could you guys please stop agreeing?
msb@vex.net | It's wearing me out." --Bob Lieblich

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists

<aaab80bb-79e1-4878-a92c-75e7e9807045n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5341&group=rec.games.trivia#5341

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 22:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 05:11 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 11:28:03 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature
>
> Given the work or works and year of publication, and in some cases
> additional information, name the writer. All are Quebec writers,
> in any language; but they may have been born elsewhere.
>
> 5. "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz", 1959.

Richler

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists
>
> In each case, name the famous chemist (or ancient philosopher).
>
> 1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
> discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
> same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
> He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

Avogadro

> 2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
> Chemistry" in 1868.

Mendeleev

> 3. English scientist who discovered the properties of hydrogen in
> 1766 (describing it as "inflammable air"), and showed that
> water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.

Priestley

> 4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
> fire, and water.

Aristotle
> 5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
> in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

Lavoisier

> 6. Greek who developed a theory that the world consisted of tiny,
> indivisible particles he called atoms.

Democrites

> 7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
> Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

Marie Curie

> 8. English scientist who discovered the chemical elements sodium,
> potassium, magnesium, barium, calcium, and strontium in the
> early 19th century.

Davy

> 9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
> and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
> William Scheele.

Priestley

> 10. Irish "Father of Chemistry" who developed his law of gases,
> by which the volume of a gas varies inversely with pressure at
> a constant temperature.

Boyle

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists

<XnsAF2ECA40A5225Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5344&group=rec.games.trivia#5344

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:52:56 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 17:52 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature

Merci, non.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists
>
> In each case, name the famous chemist (or ancient philosopher).
>
> 1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
> discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
> same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
> He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

Avagardo
> 2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
> Chemistry" in 1868.

Mendeliev
> 4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
> fire, and water.

Aristotle
> 5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
> in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

(well, one of its many names)

> 7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
> Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

Marie Curie
> 9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
> and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
> William Scheele.

Preston
> 10. Irish "Father of Chemistry" who developed his law of gases,
> by which the volume of a gas varies inversely with pressure at
> a constant temperature.

Boyle

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists

<ti7mkj$bo4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5345&group=rec.games.trivia#5345

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:37:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:37 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature

> 5. "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz", 1959.

Richler

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists

> 1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
> discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
> same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
> He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

Avogadro

> 2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
> Chemistry" in 1868.

Mendeleev

> 3. English scientist who discovered the properties of hydrogen in
> 1766 (describing it as "inflammable air"), and showed that
> water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.

Priestly

> 4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
> fire, and water.

Thales

> 5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
> in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

Lavoisier

> 6. Greek who developed a theory that the world consisted of tiny,
> indivisible particles he called atoms.

Democritus

> 7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
> Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

Marie Curie

> 8. English scientist who discovered the chemical elements sodium,
> potassium, magnesium, barium, calcium, and strontium in the
> early 19th century.

Davy

> 9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
> and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
> William Scheele.

Priestly

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: QueLit, chemists

<ti8lv3$1p0ir$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5346&group=rec.games.trivia#5346

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 02:32:19 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:32 UTC

On 10/11/22 21:27, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature
>
> Given the work or works and year of publication, and in some cases
> additional information, name the writer. All are Quebec writers,
> in any language; but they may have been born elsewhere.
>
> 1. "Kamouraska", 1970.
> 2. "Beautiful Losers", 1966.
> 3. "Maria Chapdelaine", 1913.
> 4. "The Hockey Sweater", 1979.
> 5. "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz", 1959.
> 6. "The Tin Flute" ("Bonheur d'occasion"), 1947.
> 7. "Les Belles-soeurs" ("The Sisters-in-Law"), 1965.
> 8. "Two Solitudes", 1945. Born in Nova Scotia, but lived and
> wrote in Montreal.
>
> 9. "My Heart is Broken and other stories", 1964. From Montreal,
> but lived in Paris.
>
> 10. "The Luck of Ginger Coffey", 1960; "Black Robe", 1985.
> From Belfast, but lived and wrote in Montreal.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists
>
> In each case, name the famous chemist (or ancient philosopher).
>
> 1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
> discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
> same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
> He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

Avogadro

> 2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
> Chemistry" in 1868.

Mendeleev

> 3. English scientist who discovered the properties of hydrogen in
> 1766 (describing it as "inflammable air"), and showed that
> water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.

Dalton

> 4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
> fire, and water.

Aristotle

> 5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
> in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

Lavoisier

> 6. Greek who developed a theory that the world consisted of tiny,
> indivisible particles he called atoms.
>
> 7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
> Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

Curie

> 8. English scientist who discovered the chemical elements sodium,
> potassium, magnesium, barium, calcium, and strontium in the
> early 19th century.

Davy

> 9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
> and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
> William Scheele.
>
> 10. Irish "Father of Chemistry" who developed his law of gases,
> by which the volume of a gas varies inversely with pressure at
> a constant temperature.

Boyle

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: QueLit, chemists

<4eGcnU92UNequtb-nZ2dnZfqnPtj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5347&group=rec.games.trivia#5347

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: QueLit, chemists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:33:43 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:33 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Quebec Literature

> Given the work or works and year of publication, and in some cases
> additional information, name the writer. All are Quebec writers,
> in any language; but they may have been born elsewhere.

> 1. "Kamouraska", 1970.

Anne Hébert.

> 2. "Beautiful Losers", 1966.

Leonard Cohen.

> 3. "Maria Chapdelaine", 1913.

Louis Hémon.

> 4. "The Hockey Sweater", 1979.

Roch Carrier.

> 5. "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz", 1959.

Mordecai Richler. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. "The Tin Flute" ("Bonheur d'occasion"), 1947.

Gabrielle Roy.

> 7. "Les Belles-soeurs" ("The Sisters-in-Law"), 1965.

Michel Tremblay.

> 8. "Two Solitudes", 1945. Born in Nova Scotia, but lived and
> wrote in Montreal.

Hugh MacLennan.

> 9. "My Heart is Broken and other stories", 1964. From Montreal,
> but lived in Paris.

Mavis Gallant.

> 10. "The Luck of Ginger Coffey", 1960; "Black Robe", 1985.
> From Belfast, but lived and wrote in Montreal.

Brian Moore.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Science - Famous Chemists

> In each case, name the famous chemist (or ancient philosopher).

> 1. Italian who developed the concept of molecules, then in 1811
> discovered a law of gases: equal volumes of all gases at the
> same temperature and pressure contain equal numbers of molecules.
> He is regarded as one of the founders of physical chemistry.

Amedeo Avogadro. I accepted "Avagardo" as close enough. 4 for
everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Russian who devised the periodic table and wrote "Elements of
> Chemistry" in 1868.

Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev. 4 for everyone.

> 3. English scientist who discovered the properties of hydrogen in
> 1766 (describing it as "inflammable air"), and showed that
> water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.

Lord Henry Cavendish.

> 4. Greek who declared that there were four elements: earth, air,
> fire, and water.

Empedocles of Agrigentum. (Not Aristotle, who added a fifth element,
ether. Not Thales, who believed water was fundamental.)

> 5. French father of modern chemistry; he discovered oxygen's role
> in combustion and respiration, and gave it its name.

Antoine Laurent Lavoisier. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Greek who developed a theory that the world consisted of tiny,
> indivisible particles he called atoms.

Democritus. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. Polish-French discoverer of radium and polonium, winner of
> Nobel Prizes in physics and chemistry.

Marie Curie. 4 for everyone.

> 8. English scientist who discovered the chemical elements sodium,
> potassium, magnesium, barium, calcium, and strontium in the
> early 19th century.

Sir Humphrey Davy. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In 2013 Gareth Owen reminded us of E.C. Bentley's first clerihew:

Sir Humphrey Davy
Abominated gravy.
He lived in the odium
Of having discovered sodium.

Yes, this is the same E.C. Bentley who wrote the mystery "Trent's
Last Case". Clerihew was his middle name.

> 9. English scientist who discovered nitrogen, sulfur dioxide,
> and other gases; co-discoverer of oxygen in 1774 with Carl
> William Scheele.

Joseph Priestley. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. Irish "Father of Chemistry" who developed his law of gases,
> by which the volume of a gas varies inversely with pressure at
> a constant temperature.

Robert Boyle. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Spo Can Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 28 32 15 4 32 124
Dan Blum 32 32 24 7 4 28 116
Dan Tilque 20 16 32 3 0 24 92
Erland Sommarskog 4 36 15 8 0 16 75

--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."