He who laughs, lasts.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 [not 7-8, sorry] answers: X, Valentine's challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeErland Sommarskog
+* RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengePete Gayde
|`* RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengePete Gayde
| `- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challengeDan Tilque
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 [not 7-8, sorry] answers: X, Valentine's challengMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<C-qdnWpXv4peutb-nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5348&group=rec.games.trivia#5348

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:36:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:36 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor

All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
full phrase is required.

1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
so they gave it their own name. What was that?

3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
the English name?

4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
of its name?

5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
to this group of countries?

6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
peace due to British hegemony?

9. In 1989 three classmates at Thornlea Secondary School banded
together to become the Chia Pets. They changed their name in
1992, added a fourth band member, performed and released albums
until 2000, and disbanded in 2001. Name this band.

10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
Potter series. Name her.

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day

* A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day

A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
by Bugs Moran?

A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
company from CTR to IBM?

* B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of

These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
ah, probably should not be classified as literature.

B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?

B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
and "Breaking Dawn"?

* C. Geography: What's in a Name?

These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
with, ah, interesting names.

C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
Wives, and Poor Man?

* D. Sports: 40-Love

These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
professional tennis players.

D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
since 2001?

D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
18 months?

* E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics

E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
the 1957 film?

E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
What is its title?

* F. What Do You Say?

These two questions cover famous quotes on sex.

F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
one of the best."

F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following? "Why should
we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything
about it, he shouldn't!"

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
"Nyyra" sbe nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur svefg anzr.
--
Mark Brader "One doesn't have to be a grammarian
Toronto to know when someone's talking balls."

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<0c7e4389-6dbb-45ca-b0fc-c26b41f91c93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5349&group=rec.games.trivia#5349

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:49:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:49 UTC

On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 4:36:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor
>
> All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
> whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
> full phrase is required.
>
> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
> letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

ExxonMobil
> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?

Usenix
> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
> sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
> associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
> the English name?

Excalibur
> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

axis of evil

> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville

> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx

> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Britannica

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day
>
> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day
>
> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1929

> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?

1920; 1915

> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of
>
> These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
> ah, probably should not be classified as literature.
>
> B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?

E. L. James

> B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
> which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
> and "Breaking Dawn"?

Stephenie Meyer

> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?
>
> These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
> with, ah, interesting names.
>
> C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
> Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
> Wives, and Poor Man?

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> * D. Sports: 40-Love
>
> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
> professional tennis players.
>
> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?

Steffi Graf

> D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
> Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
> 18 months?

Greg Norman

> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics
>
> E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
> Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
> at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
> 1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
> the 1957 film?

"An Affair to Remember"

> E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
> at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
> attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
> and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
> What is its title?

"From Here to Eternity"
> * F. What Do You Say?
>
> F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
> an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
> one of the best."

Woody Allen

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<tifdp3$bq0$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5350&group=rec.games.trivia#5350

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:55:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:55 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor

> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
> letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

Exxon-Mobil

> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?

OS/2

> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
> sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
> associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
> the English name?

Excalibur

> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

Axis of Evil

> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville

> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx

> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Britannica

> 10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
> Potter series. Name her.

Beatrix

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day

> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day

> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1922

> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?

1930; 1935

> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of

> B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
> which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
> and "Breaking Dawn"?

Meyer

> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?

> C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
> Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
> Wives, and Poor Man?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> * D. Sports: 40-Love

> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?

Graf

> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics

> E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
> Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
> at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
> 1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
> the 1957 film?

An Affair to Remember

> E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
> at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
> attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
> and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
> What is its title?

From Here to Eternity

> * F. What Do You Say?

> F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
> an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
> one of the best."

Woody Allen

> F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following? "Why should
> we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything
> about it, he shouldn't!"

Noel Coward

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<XnsAF327AD23DF6FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5351&group=rec.games.trivia#5351

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:04:25 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 10:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor
>
> All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
> whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
> full phrase is required.
>
> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?

Xenix
> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

Axis of evil
> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville
> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx
> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Brittanica
> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day
>
> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day
>
> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1929
> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?

1949
> * D. Sports: 40-Love
>
> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
> professional tennis players.
>
> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?

Steffi Graf
> D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
> Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
> 18 months?

Ivan Lendl

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<tihee5$3gk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5352&group=rec.games.trivia#5352

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:19:01 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:19 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor
>
> All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
> whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
> full phrase is required.
>
> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
> letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

Exxon

> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?
>
> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
> sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
> associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
> the English name?
>
> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

Axis of Evil

> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville

> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx

> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?
>
> 9. In 1989 three classmates at Thornlea Secondary School banded
> together to become the Chia Pets. They changed their name in
> 1992, added a fourth band member, performed and released albums
> until 2000, and disbanded in 2001. Name this band.
>
> 10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
> Potter series. Name her.

Bellatrix LeStrange

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day
>
> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day
>
> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1932; 1933

> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?
>

> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of
>
> These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
> ah, probably should not be classified as literature.
>
> B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?
>
> B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
> which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
> and "Breaking Dawn"?
>

> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?
>
> These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
> with, ah, interesting names.
>
> C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
> Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
> Wives, and Poor Man?

> * D. Sports: 40-Love
>
> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
> professional tennis players.
>
> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?

Graf

> D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
> Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
> 18 months?

> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics
>
> E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
> Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
> at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
> 1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
> the 1957 film?
>
> E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
> at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
> attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
> and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
> What is its title?
>

> * F. What Do You Say?
>
> These two questions cover famous quotes on sex.
>
> F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
> an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
> one of the best."
>
> F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following? "Why should
> we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything
> about it, he shouldn't!"
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
> "Nyyra" sbe nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur svefg anzr.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<tiheo3$832$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5353&group=rec.games.trivia#5353

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:24:19 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:24 UTC

I hit "send" too soon. Here are all of my answers (if you'll accept them).

Pete

Pete Gayde wrote:
> Mark Brader wrote:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly.  All questions were written
>> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
>> have been retyped and/or edited by me.  I will reveal the correct
>> answers in about 3 days.
>>
>> For further information, including an explanation of the """
>> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
>> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>>

>> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor
>>
>> All answers in this round contain the letter X.  For personal
>> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
>> whether it is the first or last name.  For phrases, though, the
>> full phrase is required.
>>
>> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
>>     letter X appears twice.  One is Xerox.  Name the other.

Exxon

>> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
>>     on microcomputers.  They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
>>     so they gave it their own name.  What was that?
>>
>> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich.  In legend it is
>>     sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
>>     associated with the rightful sovereignty of England.  What its
>>     the English name?

Excalibur

>> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
>>     in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
>>     Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
>>     1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  What was that version
>>     of its name?

Xanadu

>> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
>>     accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
>>     seeking nuclear weapons.  What phrase did he subsequently apply
>>     to this group of countries?

Axis of Evil

>> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
>>     Tennessee.  It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair.  Name the city.

Knoxville

>> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
>>     Julius, Milton, and Herbert.  These brothers enjoyed success
>>     in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
>>     1900s to 1950.  What was their family name?

Marx

>> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
>>     in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
>>     during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
>>     all time.  What phrase was used to describe this period of
>>     peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Brittania

>> 9. In 1989 three classmates at Thornlea Secondary School banded
>>     together to become the Chia Pets.  They changed their name in
>>     1992, added a fourth band member, performed and released albums
>>     until 2000, and disbanded in 2001.  Name this band.
>>
>> 10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
>>     Potter series.  Name her.

Bellatrix LeStrange

>> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day
>>
>> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day
>>
>>     A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
>>         in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
>>         murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
>>         by Bugs Moran?

1932; 1933

>>     A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
>>         company from CTR to IBM?

1902; 1905

>> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of
>>
>> These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
>> ah, probably should not be classified as literature.
>>
>>     B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?
>>
>>     B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
>>         which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
>>         and "Breaking Dawn"?

Meyer

>> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?
>>
>> These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
>> with, ah, interesting names.
>>
>>     C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
>>         Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

>>     C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
>>         Wives, and Poor Man?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

>> * D. Sports: 40-Love
>>
>> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
>> professional tennis players.
>>
>>     D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
>>         since 2001?

Graf

>>     D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
>>         Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
>>         18 months?

Greg Norman

>> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics
>>
>>     E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
>>         Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
>>         at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
>>         1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle".  What is the title of
>>         the 1957 film?
>>
>>     E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
>>         at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
>>         attack.  Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
>>         and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
>>         What is its title?

From Here to Eternity

>> * F. What Do You Say?
>>
>> These two questions cover famous quotes on sex.
>>
>>     F1. Who said (or wrote) the following?  "Sex without love is
>>         an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
>>         one of the best."
>>
>>     F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following?  "Why should
>>         we take advice on sex from the pope?  If he knows anything
>>         about it, he shouldn't!"
>>
>> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
>> "Nyyra" sbe nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur svefg anzr.
>>

> Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<xImdnVGVa-3oHNH-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5354&group=rec.games.trivia#5354

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 22:11:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 22:11 UTC

Pete Gayde:
> I hit "send" too soon. Here are all of my answers (if you'll accept them).

OK.
--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
msb@vex.net | many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: X, Valentine's challenge

<tiije0$3c878$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5355&group=rec.games.trivia#5355

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:50:24 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 03:50 UTC

On 10/15/22 14:36, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor
>
> All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
> whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
> full phrase is required.
>
> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
> letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

ExxonMobil

> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?

Xenix

> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
> sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
> associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
> the English name?
>
> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

Axis of Evil

> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville

> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx

> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Britannica

> 9. In 1989 three classmates at Thornlea Secondary School banded
> together to become the Chia Pets. They changed their name in
> 1992, added a fourth band member, performed and released albums
> until 2000, and disbanded in 2001. Name this band.
>
> 10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
> Potter series. Name her.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day
>
> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day
>
> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1929

> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?
>

> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of
>
> These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
> ah, probably should not be classified as literature.
>
> B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?
>
> B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
> which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
> and "Breaking Dawn"?
>

> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?
>
> These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
> with, ah, interesting names.
>
> C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
> Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
> Wives, and Poor Man?

Alberta

> * D. Sports: 40-Love
>
> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
> professional tennis players.
>
> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?
>
> D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
> Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
> 18 months?
>

> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics
>
> E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
> Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
> at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
> 1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
> the 1957 film?
>
> E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
> at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
> attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
> and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
> What is its title?

South Pacific

> * F. What Do You Say?
>
> These two questions cover famous quotes on sex.
>
> F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
> an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
> one of the best."
>
> F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following? "Why should
> we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything
> about it, he shouldn't!"
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
> "Nyyra" sbe nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur svefg anzr.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 [not 7-8, sorry] answers: X, Valentine's challenge

<S96cncFEfrqY4dL-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5356&group=rec.games.trivia#5356

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 [not 7-8, sorry] answers: X, Valentine's challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 04:24:37 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 04:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-02-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09 companion
> posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (RQFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner. Hearty
congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - X Factor

> All answers in this round contain the letter X. For personal
> names, the single name containing the X is sufficient no matter
> whether it is the first or last name. For phrases, though, the
> full phrase is required.

In 2013 I got some answers written like "Axis (of Evil)", which
seemed to imply that "Okay, you're talking about the Axis of Evil,
but I'll just give Axis as my answer." I still accepted these as
if the correct answer had been given.

> 1. Two companies """in the Fortune 500 list""" have names where the
> letter X appears twice. One is Xerox. Name the other.

ExxonMobil. (Still true. Not accepting Exxon; it's been over 20
years since the merger.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Microsoft created their own version of UNIX, intended for use
> on microcomputers. They didn't have the right to call it UNIX,
> so they gave it their own name. What was that?

Xenix. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 3. In Welsh this object is named Caledfwich. In legend it is
> sometimes said to have magical powers, and its owner is
> associated with the rightful sovereignty of England. What its
> the English name?

Excalibur. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. This place was the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty
> in China when it was visited by Marco Polo in about 1275.
> Its name has multiple spellings, but one was made famous in a
> 1797 poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. What was that version
> of its name?

Xanadu. ("Kubla Khan".) 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush
> accused Iran, Iraq, and North Korea of helping terrorism and
> seeking nuclear weapons. What phrase did he subsequently apply
> to this group of countries?

Axis of Evil. 4 for everyone.

> 6. First settled in 1786, this city was the first capital of
> Tennessee. It also hosted the 1982 World's Fair. Name the city.

Knoxville. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Their real names were Leonard, Adolph (who became Arthur),
> Julius, Milton, and Herbert. These brothers enjoyed success
> in vaudeville, Broadway, and motion pictures from the early
> 1900s to 1950. What was their family name?

Marx. (Respectively Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo, Zeppo. Gummo never
appeared in the movies, and Zeppo only appeared in them until 1933.
4 for everyone.

> 8. From the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 until World War I
> in 1914 was a period of relative peace in Europe and the world,
> during which the British Empire became the largest empire of
> all time. What phrase was used to describe this period of
> peace due to British hegemony?

Pax Britannica. 4 for everyone.

> 9. In 1989 three classmates at Thornlea Secondary School banded
> together to become the Chia Pets. They changed their name in
> 1992, added a fourth band member, performed and released albums
> until 2000, and disbanded in 2001. Name this band.

Moxy Früvous.

> 10. This character was the aunt to Draco Malfoy in the Harry
> Potter series. Name her.

Bellatrix Lestrange. The first name was sufficient. 4 for Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Valentine's Day

> * A. History: It Happened on Valentine's Day

> A1. In what year did the St. Valentine's Day massacre occur
> in Chicago, when the South Side gang led by Al Capone
> murdered several members of the North Side Irish gang led
> by Bugs Moran?

1929. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. In what year, within 2, did Thomas Watson Sr. rename his
> company from CTR to IBM?

1924 (accepting 1922-26, and since nobody was within that range,
I'm accepting 1920-28 as "almost correct"). 2 for Joshua.

The full names: Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. and International
Business Machines Corp.

> * B. Literature: Romantic Literature -- Sort Of

> These two questions are on novels that have a romantic theme but,
> ah, probably should not be classified as literature.

> B1. Who is the author of the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey"?

E.L. James. 4 for Joshua.

> B2. Who is the author of the "Twilight" vampire romance series,
> which includes the novels "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse",
> and "Breaking Dawn"?

Stephenie Meyer. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

In 2013, I noted that of 7 entrants who named her, only Joshua
Kreitzer and Dan Blum gave both names and spelled them both correctly
-- with 5 E's, no A's, and no final S. This time 3 entrants gave
the right answer, and Joshua was the only one to give both names.

> * C. Geography: What's in a Name?

> These two questions are about Canadian provinces that have towns
> with, ah, interesting names.

> C1. In what province would you find towns named Come by Chance,
> Dildo, and Heart's Delight?

Newfoundland and Labrador. In contrast with the ExxonMobil question,
I'm accepting "Newfoundland". It's been than 20 years since that
change happened, too, but this one was just a renaming; the provincial
boundaries didn't change. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. In what province would you find towns named Fertile, Old
> Wives, and Poor Man?

Saskatchewan. 3 for Dan Blum and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> * D. Sports: 40-Love

> These two questions are about the marriages and divorces of
> professional tennis players.

> D1. Andre Agassi """has been""" married to which tennis player
> since 2001?

Steffi Graf. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> D2. Chris Evert """has been""" married and divorced three times.
> Who did she marry in 2008, and divorce in 2009 after only
> 18 months?

Greg Norman. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> * E. Entertainment: Romantic Film Classics

> E1. In this 1957 movie, a couple played by Cary Grant and
> Deborah Kerr fall in love and agree to meet in 6 months
> at the Empire State Building, thus inspiring part of the
> 1993 movie "Sleepless in Seattle". What is the title of
> the 1957 film?

"An Affair to Remember". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> E2. This 1953 movie is about the troubles of soldiers stationed
> at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the months leading up to the
> attack. Its stars include Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr,
> and it's best known for their kissing scene on the beach.
> What is its title?

"From Here to Eternity". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * F. What Do You Say?

> These two questions cover famous quotes on sex.

> F1. Who said (or wrote) the following? "Sex without love is
> an empty experience -- but, as empty experiences go, it's
> one of the best."

Woody Allen. Both names were required. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> F2. What playwright said (or wrote) the following? "Why should
> we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything
> about it, he shouldn't!"

George Bernard Shaw.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Spo Can Sci Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 28 32 15 4 32 28 40 192
Dan Blum 32 32 24 7 4 28 31 27 174
Dan Tilque 20 16 32 3 0 24 28 8 128
Erland Sommarskog 4 36 15 8 0 16 24 8 107
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- -- -- 28 19 47

--
Mark Brader | "I'm a little worried about the bug-eater", she said.
Toronto | "We're embedded in bugs, have you noticed?"