That which is not good for the swarm, neither is it good for the bee.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsPete Gayde
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiumsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanExplorers, stadiumsMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<CcudnX7TUaRwJ_7-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5389&group=rec.games.trivia#5389

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 12:58:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:58 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada

1. Who led the first expedition to cross North America by land
north of Mexico, in 1793? His crossing ended at the mouth of
the Bella Coola River on the Pacific coast.

2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
that can measure solar angles up to 90°. Who was he?

4. Sir John Franklin died trying to sail through the Northwest
Passage, while stuck in the ice aboard the Terror, one of his
two ships. Within a year, in what year did Franklin die?

5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77°45'N latitude.
It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
this man?

6. This British sea captain, navigator, and cartographer produced
detailed maps of Newfoundland's jagged coastline from data
collected on a series on voyages in the 1760s. His last voyage,
in 1776-79, in part involved exploring the coast of BC. Who was
this British explorer?

7. This explorer supervised the construction of Le Griffon,
the first full-sized sailing ship to ply the waters of the upper
Great Lakes. The vessel was launched from the upper part of
the Niagara River in 1679. Who was he?

8. Europeans first became aware of the existence of the Athabasca
Oil Sands in 1719, when a member of the Cree nation brought
a sample to the York Factory trading center on Hudson Bay.
But who led the first European expedition through the Athabasca
Oil Sands area, in 1778?

9. Who led the first successful expedition to sail through the
Northwest Passage, in 1903-06?

10. This explorer, who was born in 1770, mapped 3,900,000 km²
(1,500,000 mi²) of territory, and is considered by some as the
best land geographer who ever lived. Among his accomplishments
was the surveying of the US border with the British territory
that is now Canada, from the St. Lawrence to the Pacific Ocean.
He was also the first to travel the length of the Columbia River.
Simon Fraser, who was a close friend, named the largest tributary
of the Fraser River after him. Who was he?

* Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names

The Blue Jays' opening day at the Rogers Centre """is less than
a month away""". For each team listed, name their """home
ballpark""", from the following list:

| Angel Stadium | Nationals Park
| AT&T Park | O.co Coliseum
| Busch Stadium | Oriole Park
| Chase Field | Petco Park
| Citi Field | PNC Park
| Citizens Bank Park | Progressive Field
| Comerica Park | Rangers Ballpark
| Coors Field | Rogers Centre
| Dodger Stadium | Safeco Field
| Fenway Park | Target Field
| Great American Ball Park | Tropicana Field
| Kauffman Stadium | Turner Field
| Marlins Park | US Cellular Field
| Miller Park | Wrigley Field
| Minute Maid Park | Yankee Stadium

1. Tampa Bay Rays.
2. Kansas City Royals.
3. Atlanta Braves.
4. Chicago Cubs.
5. Cincinnati Reds.
6. St. Louis Cardinals.
7. Boston Red Sox.
8. Minnesota Twins.
9. Colorado Rockies.
10. New York Mets.

--
Mark Brader | "You can't go around quoting politicians accurately:
Toronto | that's dirty journalism, and you know it!"

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<XnsAF44CE3967DAAYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5392&group=rec.games.trivia#5392

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 20:16:21 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:16 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada
>
> 1. Who led the first expedition to cross North America by land
> north of Mexico, in 1793? His crossing ended at the mouth of
> the Bella Coola River on the Pacific coast.

Vancouver
> 2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
> the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
> 48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

Vancouver
> 9. Who led the first successful expedition to sail through the
> Northwest Passage, in 1903-06?

Nansen
> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names
>
>| Dodger Stadium | Safeco Field

Seattle Mariners

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<4ac1ac27-9cf3-492f-b25c-df0a2a7b3acdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5393&group=rec.games.trivia#5393

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:38 UTC

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 7:58:27 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada
>
> 2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
> the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
> 48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

Cook

> 3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
> this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
> he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
> and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
> that can measure solar angles up to 90°. Who was he?

Frobisher

> 5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
> the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77°45'N latitude.
> It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
> European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
> this man?

Frobisher

> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names
>
> For each team listed, name their """home
> ballpark""", from the following list:
>
> 1. Tampa Bay Rays.

Tropicana Field

> 2. Kansas City Royals.

Kauffman Stadium

> 3. Atlanta Braves.

Turner Field

> 4. Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley Field

> 5. Cincinnati Reds.

Great American Ball Park

> 6. St. Louis Cardinals.

Busch Stadium

> 7. Boston Red Sox.

Fenway Park

> 8. Minnesota Twins.

Target Field

> 9. Colorado Rockies.

Coors Field

> 10. New York Mets.

Chase Field

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<tk21r1$len$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5394&group=rec.games.trivia#5394

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:44:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:44 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada

> 3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
> this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
> he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
> and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
> that can measure solar angles up to 90?. Who was he?

Frobisher

> 4. Sir John Franklin died trying to sail through the Northwest
> Passage, while stuck in the ice aboard the Terror, one of his
> two ships. Within a year, in what year did Franklin die?

1851

> 5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
> the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77?45'N latitude.
> It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
> European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
> this man?

Baffin

> 6. This British sea captain, navigator, and cartographer produced
> detailed maps of Newfoundland's jagged coastline from data
> collected on a series on voyages in the 1760s. His last voyage,
> in 1776-79, in part involved exploring the coast of BC. Who was
> this British explorer?

Cook

> 7. This explorer supervised the construction of Le Griffon,
> the first full-sized sailing ship to ply the waters of the upper
> Great Lakes. The vessel was launched from the upper part of
> the Niagara River in 1679. Who was he?

Champlain

> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names

> 1. Tampa Bay Rays.

Tropicana Field; Minute Maid Park

> 2. Kansas City Royals.

Comerica Park; Kauffman Stadium

> 3. Atlanta Braves.

Turner Field

> 4. Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley Field

> 5. Cincinnati Reds.

Progressive Field; Safeco Field

> 6. St. Louis Cardinals.

US Cellular Field; Chase Field

> 7. Boston Red Sox.

Fenway Park

> 8. Minnesota Twins.

Target Field

> 9. Colorado Rockies.

Busch Stadium

> 10. New York Mets.

Citi Field

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<tk4ced$1uhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5395&group=rec.games.trivia#5395

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 19:57:50 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 00:57 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada
>
> 1. Who led the first expedition to cross North America by land
> north of Mexico, in 1793? His crossing ended at the mouth of
> the Bella Coola River on the Pacific coast.

Vancouver; MacKenzie

> 2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
> the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
> 48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

Cook

> 3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
> this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
> he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
> and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
> that can measure solar angles up to 90°. Who was he?

Hudson

> 4. Sir John Franklin died trying to sail through the Northwest
> Passage, while stuck in the ice aboard the Terror, one of his
> two ships. Within a year, in what year did Franklin die?

1793; 1796

> 5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
> the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77°45'N latitude.
> It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
> European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
> this man?

Ellesmere

> 6. This British sea captain, navigator, and cartographer produced
> detailed maps of Newfoundland's jagged coastline from data
> collected on a series on voyages in the 1760s. His last voyage,
> in 1776-79, in part involved exploring the coast of BC. Who was
> this British explorer?

Vancouver

> 7. This explorer supervised the construction of Le Griffon,
> the first full-sized sailing ship to ply the waters of the upper
> Great Lakes. The vessel was launched from the upper part of
> the Niagara River in 1679. Who was he?
>
> 8. Europeans first became aware of the existence of the Athabasca
> Oil Sands in 1719, when a member of the Cree nation brought
> a sample to the York Factory trading center on Hudson Bay.
> But who led the first European expedition through the Athabasca
> Oil Sands area, in 1778?
>
> 9. Who led the first successful expedition to sail through the
> Northwest Passage, in 1903-06?
>
> 10. This explorer, who was born in 1770, mapped 3,900,000 km²
> (1,500,000 mi²) of territory, and is considered by some as the
> best land geographer who ever lived. Among his accomplishments
> was the surveying of the US border with the British territory
> that is now Canada, from the St. Lawrence to the Pacific Ocean.
> He was also the first to travel the length of the Columbia River.
> Simon Fraser, who was a close friend, named the largest tributary
> of the Fraser River after him. Who was he?
>

> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names
>
> The Blue Jays' opening day at the Rogers Centre """is less than
> a month away""". For each team listed, name their """home
> ballpark""", from the following list:
>
> | Angel Stadium | Nationals Park
> | AT&T Park | O.co Coliseum
> | Busch Stadium | Oriole Park
> | Chase Field | Petco Park
> | Citi Field | PNC Park
> | Citizens Bank Park | Progressive Field
> | Comerica Park | Rangers Ballpark
> | Coors Field | Rogers Centre
> | Dodger Stadium | Safeco Field
> | Fenway Park | Target Field
> | Great American Ball Park | Tropicana Field
> | Kauffman Stadium | Turner Field
> | Marlins Park | US Cellular Field
> | Miller Park | Wrigley Field
> | Minute Maid Park | Yankee Stadium
>
> 1. Tampa Bay Rays.

Tropicana Field

> 2. Kansas City Royals.

Kauffman Stadium

> 3. Atlanta Braves.

Turner Field

> 4. Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley Field

> 5. Cincinnati Reds.

Great American Ball Park

> 6. St. Louis Cardinals.

Busch Stadium

> 7. Boston Red Sox.

Fenway Park

> 8. Minnesota Twins.

Target Field

> 9. Colorado Rockies.

Coors Field

> 10. New York Mets.

Citi Field

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: CanExplorers, stadiums

<tk4e77$246oq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5396&group=rec.games.trivia#5396

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 18:28:06 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 01:28 UTC

On 11/3/22 05:58, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada
>
> 1. Who led the first expedition to cross North America by land
> north of Mexico, in 1793? His crossing ended at the mouth of
> the Bella Coola River on the Pacific coast.

MacKenzie

> 2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
> the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
> 48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

Vancouver

> 3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
> this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
> he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
> and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
> that can measure solar angles up to 90°. Who was he?
>
> 4. Sir John Franklin died trying to sail through the Northwest
> Passage, while stuck in the ice aboard the Terror, one of his
> two ships. Within a year, in what year did Franklin die?
>
> 5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
> the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77°45'N latitude.
> It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
> European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
> this man?

Frobisher

> 6. This British sea captain, navigator, and cartographer produced
> detailed maps of Newfoundland's jagged coastline from data
> collected on a series on voyages in the 1760s. His last voyage,
> in 1776-79, in part involved exploring the coast of BC. Who was
> this British explorer?

Cook

> 7. This explorer supervised the construction of Le Griffon,
> the first full-sized sailing ship to ply the waters of the upper
> Great Lakes. The vessel was launched from the upper part of
> the Niagara River in 1679. Who was he?
>
> 8. Europeans first became aware of the existence of the Athabasca
> Oil Sands in 1719, when a member of the Cree nation brought
> a sample to the York Factory trading center on Hudson Bay.
> But who led the first European expedition through the Athabasca
> Oil Sands area, in 1778?
>
> 9. Who led the first successful expedition to sail through the
> Northwest Passage, in 1903-06?
>
> 10. This explorer, who was born in 1770, mapped 3,900,000 km²
> (1,500,000 mi²) of territory, and is considered by some as the
> best land geographer who ever lived. Among his accomplishments
> was the surveying of the US border with the British territory
> that is now Canada, from the St. Lawrence to the Pacific Ocean.
> He was also the first to travel the length of the Columbia River.
> Simon Fraser, who was a close friend, named the largest tributary
> of the Fraser River after him. Who was he?

Thompson

> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names
>
> The Blue Jays' opening day at the Rogers Centre """is less than
> a month away""". For each team listed, name their """home
> ballpark""", from the following list:
>
> | Angel Stadium | Nationals Park
> | AT&T Park | O.co Coliseum
> | Busch Stadium | Oriole Park
> | Chase Field | Petco Park
> | Citi Field | PNC Park
> | Citizens Bank Park | Progressive Field
> | Comerica Park | Rangers Ballpark
> | Coors Field | Rogers Centre
> | Dodger Stadium | Safeco Field
> | Fenway Park | Target Field
> | Great American Ball Park | Tropicana Field
> | Kauffman Stadium | Turner Field
> | Marlins Park | US Cellular Field
> | Miller Park | Wrigley Field
> | Minute Maid Park | Yankee Stadium
>
> 1. Tampa Bay Rays.

Comerica Park

> 2. Kansas City Royals.

Great American Ball Park

> 3. Atlanta Braves.

Turner Field

> 4. Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley Field

> 5. Cincinnati Reds.
> 6. St. Louis Cardinals.

Busch Stadium

> 7. Boston Red Sox.

Fenway Park

> 8. Minnesota Twins.
> 9. Colorado Rockies.

Coors Field

> 10. New York Mets.

Yankee Stadium

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanExplorers, stadiums

<3MGdnb74NpCCdfr-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5397&group=rec.games.trivia#5397

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanExplorers, stadiums
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 17:00:15 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:00 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Explorers of Canada

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Who led the first expedition to cross North America by land
> north of Mexico, in 1793? His crossing ended at the mouth of
> the Bella Coola River on the Pacific coast.

Alexander Mackenzie. See <http://data2.archives.ca/ap/c/c003131.jpg>.
4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 2. At the same time in 1793, this British sea captain was mapping
> the Pacific coast. The two explorers missed meeting by only
> 48 days. Who was this other explorer who almost met <answer 1>?

George Vancouver. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

James Cook did also explore this area -- see question #6 -- but that
was in 1778.

> 3. As a result of his attempts to find the Northwest Passage,
> this explorer has two bodies of water named after him. As well,
> he is credited with discovering the Falkland Islands in 1592,
> and inventing the double quadrant, a navigational instrument
> that can measure solar angles up to 90°. Who was he?

John Davis. (Davis Strait, between Greenland and Baffin I.; Davis
Inlet, on the Labrador coast.)

> 4. Sir John Franklin died trying to sail through the Northwest
> Passage, while stuck in the ice aboard the Terror, one of his
> two ships. Within a year, in what year did Franklin die?

1847 (accepting 1846-48). Nobody answered within twice the allowed
leeway.

It wasn't just Franklin who died, but the entire expedition, about
130 men. When it was realized that something had gone wrong, the
wealthy and influential Mrs. Franklin arranged for mission after
mission to rescue them or at least find out what had happened.
But it took more than 10 years before even the location of the
disaster was known.

The main reason for this, and one reason for the disaster happening
in the first place, was that nobody in England realized that there
were places in the Arctic where the ice melts in warm summers but
not in cooler summers. The expedition had sailed into one of those,
expecting to be on the move again in the spring; and the follow-up
expeditions, seeing the area frozen, had decided they must not have
gone that way.

The two ships, which the then-surviving crew members had abandoned
in 1848, were found on the seabed in 2014 and 2016.

> 5. In 1616 this explorer, whose name also appears on the map of
> the Canadian Arctic, sailed as far north as 77°45'N latitude.
> It was not until 1852 -- 236 years later -- that any other
> European ventured farther north in North America. Who was
> this man?

William Baffin. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. This British sea captain, navigator, and cartographer produced
> detailed maps of Newfoundland's jagged coastline from data
> collected on a series on voyages in the 1760s. His last voyage,
> in 1776-79, in part involved exploring the coast of BC. Who was
> this British explorer?

James Cook. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. This explorer supervised the construction of Le Griffon,
> the first full-sized sailing ship to ply the waters of the upper
> Great Lakes. The vessel was launched from the upper part of
> the Niagara River in 1679. Who was he?

René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle. (Cavelier or La Salle
was sufficient.)

> 8. Europeans first became aware of the existence of the Athabasca
> Oil Sands in 1719, when a member of the Cree nation brought
> a sample to the York Factory trading center on Hudson Bay.
> But who led the first European expedition through the Athabasca
> Oil Sands area, in 1778?

Peter Pond.

> 9. Who led the first successful expedition to sail through the
> Northwest Passage, in 1903-06?

Roald Amundsen.

> 10. This explorer, who was born in 1770, mapped 3,900,000 km²
> (1,500,000 mi²) of territory, and is considered by some as the
> best land geographer who ever lived. Among his accomplishments
> was the surveying of the US border with the British territory
> that is now Canada, from the St. Lawrence to the Pacific Ocean.
> He was also the first to travel the length of the Columbia River.
> Simon Fraser, who was a close friend, named the largest tributary
> of the Fraser River after him. Who was he?

David Thompson. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Game 5 Round 6 - Sports - Baseball Stadium Names

> The Blue Jays' opening day at the Rogers Centre """is less than
> a month away""". For each team listed, name their """home
> ballpark""", from the following list:

> | Angel Stadium | Nationals Park
> | AT&T Park | O.co Coliseum
> | Busch Stadium | Oriole Park
> | Chase Field | Petco Park
> | Citi Field | PNC Park
> | Citizens Bank Park | Progressive Field
> | Comerica Park | Rangers Ballpark
> | Coors Field | Rogers Centre
> | Dodger Stadium | Safeco Field
> | Fenway Park | Target Field
> | Great American Ball Park | Tropicana Field
> | Kauffman Stadium | Turner Field
> | Marlins Park | US Cellular Field
> | Miller Park | Wrigley Field
> | Minute Maid Park | Yankee Stadium

> 1. Tampa Bay Rays.

Tropicana Field. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Kansas City Royals.

Kauffman Stadium. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Atlanta Braves.

2013 answer: Turner Field. 2022 answer: moved to Truist Park.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Chicago Cubs.

Wrigley Field. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Cincinnati Reds.

Great American Ball Park. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. St. Louis Cardinals.

Busch Stadium. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Boston Red Sox.

Fenway Park. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Minnesota Twins.

Target Field. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Colorado Rockies.

Coors Field. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. New York Mets.

Citi Field. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

As for the others, these are still used by the same teams as in 2013:
Angel Stadium Los Angeles Angels*
Chase Field Arizona Diamondbacks
Citizens Bank Park Philadelphia Phillies
Comerica Park Detroit Tigers
Dodger Stadium Los Angeles Dodgers*
Minute Maid Park Houston Astros
Nationals Park Washington Nationals*
Oriole Park Baltimore Orioles*
PNC Park Pittsburgh Pirates
Petco Park San Diego Padres
Progressive Field Cleveland Indians (now renamed the Guardians)
Rogers Centre Toronto Blue Jays**
Yankee Stadium New York Yankees*
These are still used by the same teams, but the stadiums themselves
have been renamed for new corporate sponsors:
AT&T Park (now Oracle Park) San Francisco Giants
Marlins Park (now LoanDepot Park) Miami Marlins*
Miller Park (now American Family Field) Milwaukee Brewers
O.co Coliseum (now RingCentral Coliseum***) Oakland Athletics
Safeco Field (now T-Mobile Park) Seattle Mariners
US Cellular Field (now Guaranteed Rate Field) Chicago White Sox
*Duh!
**In case you forgot the question.
***Also sometimes called by its old name, Oakland Coliseum.
And that leaves Rangers Ballpark, from which the Texas Rangers* have
moved to Globe Life Field.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 35 16 0 36 87
Dan Blum 24 12 8 25 69
Dan Tilque 8 16 16 20 60
Pete Gayde -- -- 2 40 42
Erland Sommarskog 0 35 4 0 39

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My pasta, what stop does it close down to?"
msb@vex.net | --Lee Ayrton