As crazy as hauling timber into the woods. -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, France

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, FranceMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, FranceJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, FranceDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, FranceDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, FranceErland Sommarskog
`* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, FranceMark Brader
 +- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, FranceMark Brader
 `- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, FranceErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France

<t9qcnWFRL68mwcL-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5383&group=rec.games.trivia#5383

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 05:27:23 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 05:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Who was the actress who tripped and said the F word, while
walking to the stage to accept her Oscar at the Academy Awards
ceremony?

2. The reigning champion of the Honda Golf Classic suddenly withdrew
part way through this year's tournament because of a toothache.
Who is this #1-rated golfer, who made a sudden exit from the
Honda Classic last week?

* Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - One-Season Wonders

This round is about television programs that ran for just one
season, or in some cases even less. In each case, give the title.

1. This 1999 show about misfits in a 1980 Michigan high school
was run by Judd Apatow and starred Seth Rogen, James Franco,
and Jason Segel.

2. This 2003 show was a sequel to a popular movie starring Nia
Vardalos.

3. This 2005 show starred Geena Davis as the first woman to become
the American president.

4. This 2006 show was about a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional
sketch-comedy TV show. It starred Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet,
and Bradley Whitford.

5. This 2002 show was an oddball Western/SF mash-up -- about a
crew of bandits working jobs on the frontier of a new solar
system. The creative force behind the show was Joss Whedon.

6. This 2009 show was about a special task force in the FBI that
investigates after every person on Earth simultaneously blacks
out and awakens with a short vision of their future. It was
based on the Robert J. Sawyer novel of the same name.

7. This 1982 show was a comedy that starred Leslie Nielsen and had
the same puns and sight gags that would be found in the "Naked
Gun" movies that followed.

8. This 1966 crime-fighting show starred Van Williams and Bruce Lee.

9. This 1994 show starring Claire Danes looked at the experiences
of a teenage girl. This show was run by the same creative team
that was behind "thirtysomething".

10. This British-made TV show aired in the UK during the 1967-68
season and in the US in 1968-69, and starred Patrick McGoohan.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - French Regions

And now, the first visual handout round of the season! Please see:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/france.png

While France replaced the historical provinces with departments
during the French Revolution, the provinces have remained the
common reference in identifying the various parts of the country.
"""Today""", modern French "regions", each grouping several
departments, replicate many of the old provinces. In French or
English, name the modern region indicated by the following numbers
on the map.

There were 10 decoys; for convenience I've put them in numerical
sequence with the 10 regions that were actually used in the round.
As usual, answer the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

Same regions have double-barreled names like "Schleswig-Holstein";
in these cases the first part of the name will be sufficient.

1. (decoy)
2. Name it.

3. Regions 3A and 3B were split from a single region and are
named accordingly. Just give the name of the original region
before the split.

4. Name it.
5. Name it.
6. (decoy)
7. Name it.
8. Name it.
9. (decoy)
10. Name it.
11. (decoy)
12. (decoy)
13. (decoy)
14. (decoy)
15. (decoy)
16. (decoy)
17. Name it.
18. Name it.
19. (decoy)
20. Name it.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
Without the threat of frequent new releases of the system to

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France

<4052a469-bc1c-4935-bb0f-e5ae1f17188an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5384&group=rec.games.trivia#5384

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 22:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 05:32 UTC

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 12:27:29 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - One-Season Wonders
>
> This round is about television programs that ran for just one
> season, or in some cases even less. In each case, give the title.
>
> 1. This 1999 show about misfits in a 1980 Michigan high school
> was run by Judd Apatow and starred Seth Rogen, James Franco,
> and Jason Segel.

"Freaks and Geeks"
> 2. This 2003 show was a sequel to a popular movie starring Nia
> Vardalos.

"My Big Fat Greek Life"; "My Big Fat Greek Family"

> 3. This 2005 show starred Geena Davis as the first woman to become
> the American president.

"Commander in Chief"

> 4. This 2006 show was about a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional
> sketch-comedy TV show. It starred Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet,
> and Bradley Whitford.

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"

> 5. This 2002 show was an oddball Western/SF mash-up -- about a
> crew of bandits working jobs on the frontier of a new solar
> system. The creative force behind the show was Joss Whedon.

"Firefly"

> 7. This 1982 show was a comedy that starred Leslie Nielsen and had
> the same puns and sight gags that would be found in the "Naked
> Gun" movies that followed.

"Police Squad!"
> 8. This 1966 crime-fighting show starred Van Williams and Bruce Lee.

"The Green Hornet"

> 9. This 1994 show starring Claire Danes looked at the experiences
> of a teenage girl. This show was run by the same creative team
> that was behind "thirtysomething".

"My So-Called Life"

> 10. This British-made TV show aired in the UK during the 1967-68
> season and in the US in 1968-69, and starred Patrick McGoohan.

"The Prisoner"

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - French Regions
>
> And now, the first visual handout round of the season! Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/france.png
>
> While France replaced the historical provinces with departments
> during the French Revolution, the provinces have remained the
> common reference in identifying the various parts of the country.
> """Today""", modern French "regions", each grouping several
> departments, replicate many of the old provinces. In French or
> English, name the modern region indicated by the following numbers
> on the map.
>
> 3. Regions 3A and 3B were split from a single region and are
> named accordingly. Just give the name of the original region
> before the split.

Normandie

> 4. Name it.

Bretagne

> 5. Name it.

Alsace

> 8. Name it.

Ile-de-France
> 20. Name it.

Navarre

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France

<tjq14h$3jc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5385&group=rec.games.trivia#5385

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 02:43:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 02:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Who was the actress who tripped and said the F word, while
> walking to the stage to accept her Oscar at the Academy Awards
> ceremony?

Jennifer Lawrence

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - One-Season Wonders

> 1. This 1999 show about misfits in a 1980 Michigan high school
> was run by Judd Apatow and starred Seth Rogen, James Franco,
> and Jason Segel.

Freaks & Geeks

> 2. This 2003 show was a sequel to a popular movie starring Nia
> Vardalos.

My Big Fat Greek Marriage

> 4. This 2006 show was about a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional
> sketch-comedy TV show. It starred Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet,
> and Bradley Whitford.

60 Sunset Strip

> 5. This 2002 show was an oddball Western/SF mash-up -- about a
> crew of bandits working jobs on the frontier of a new solar
> system. The creative force behind the show was Joss Whedon.

Firefly

> 7. This 1982 show was a comedy that starred Leslie Nielsen and had
> the same puns and sight gags that would be found in the "Naked
> Gun" movies that followed.

Police Squad

> 8. This 1966 crime-fighting show starred Van Williams and Bruce Lee.

The Green Hornet

> 9. This 1994 show starring Claire Danes looked at the experiences
> of a teenage girl. This show was run by the same creative team
> that was behind "thirtysomething".

My So-Called Life

> 10. This British-made TV show aired in the UK during the 1967-68
> season and in the US in 1968-69, and starred Patrick McGoohan.

The Prisoner

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - French Regions

> 4. Name it.

Brittany

> 5. Name it.

Alsace

> 8. Name it.

Paris

> 17. Name it.

Provence

> 18. Name it.

Provence

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France

<tjrrlg$r8a5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5386&group=rec.games.trivia#5386

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:22:23 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 19:22 UTC

On 10/30/22 22:27, Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]

> And now, the first visual handout round of the season! Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/france.png
>
> While France replaced the historical provinces with departments
> during the French Revolution, the provinces have remained the
> common reference in identifying the various parts of the country.
> """Today""", modern French "regions", each grouping several
> departments, replicate many of the old provinces. In French or
> English, name the modern region indicated by the following numbers
> on the map.
>
> There were 10 decoys; for convenience I've put them in numerical
> sequence with the 10 regions that were actually used in the round.
> As usual, answer the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> Same regions have double-barreled names like "Schleswig-Holstein";
> in these cases the first part of the name will be sufficient.

Flanders

> 3. Regions 3A and 3B were split from a single region and are
> named accordingly. Just give the name of the original region
> before the split.

Normandy

> 4. Name it.

Brittany

> 5. Name it.

Alsace

> 6. (decoy)
> 7. Name it.

Burgundy

> 8. Name it.

Coucy

> 9. (decoy)
> 10. Name it.

Lyon

> 11. (decoy)
> 12. (decoy)
> 13. (decoy)
> 14. (decoy)
> 15. (decoy)
> 16. (decoy)
> 17. Name it.

Provence

> 18. Name it.
> 19. (decoy)
> 20. Name it.

Bordeaux

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: one season, France

<XnsAF42D73478954Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5387&group=rec.games.trivia#5387

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:09:19 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 20:09 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - French Regions
> 1. (decoy)

Flandres

> 2. Name it.

Picardie

> 3. Regions 3A and 3B were split from a single region and are
> named accordingly. Just give the name of the original region
> before the split.

Normandie.
> 4. Name it.

Bretagne

> 5. Name it.

Alsace

> 6. (decoy)

Lorraine

> 7. Name it.

Champagne

> 8. Name it.

Île-de-France

> 10. Name it.

Franche-Compte

> 17. Name it.

Provence

> 18. Name it.

Languedoc

> 20. Name it.

Gascogne

RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, France

<NK-dnR-wg8UIJ_7-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5388&group=rec.games.trivia#5388

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, France
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 12:56:53 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:56 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Who was the actress who tripped and said the F word, while
> walking to the stage to accept her Oscar at the Academy Awards
> ceremony?

Jennifer Lawrence. Dan Blum got this.

> 2. The reigning champion of the Honda Golf Classic suddenly withdrew
> part way through this year's tournament because of a toothache.
> Who is this #1-rated golfer, who made a sudden exit from the
> Honda Classic last week?

Rory McIlroy.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - One-Season Wonders

> This round is about television programs that ran for just one
> season, or in some cases even less. In each case, give the title.

As Rob Parker noted in 2013, some of these may never have been
broadcast in some of your countries. Your fault for living in the
wrong place. :-)

> 1. This 1999 show about misfits in a 1980 Michigan high school
> was run by Judd Apatow and starred Seth Rogen, James Franco,
> and Jason Segel.

"Freaks and Geeks". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. This 2003 show was a sequel to a popular movie starring Nia
> Vardalos.

"My Big Fat Greek Life". I required the full title for any points,
since it was easy to guess that it would be similar to the movie
title. 3 for Joshua.

> 3. This 2005 show starred Geena Davis as the first woman to become
> the American president.

"Commander in Chief". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. This 2006 show was about a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional
> sketch-comedy TV show. It starred Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet,
> and Bradley Whitford.

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip". I required "Studio" for any points.
4 for Joshua.

> 5. This 2002 show was an oddball Western/SF mash-up -- about a
> crew of bandits working jobs on the frontier of a new solar
> system. The creative force behind the show was Joss Whedon.

"Firefly". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. This 2009 show was about a special task force in the FBI that
> investigates after every person on Earth simultaneously blacks
> out and awakens with a short vision of their future. It was
> based on the Robert J. Sawyer novel of the same name.

"Flashforward".

> 7. This 1982 show was a comedy that starred Leslie Nielsen and had
> the same puns and sight gags that would be found in the "Naked
> Gun" movies that followed.

"Police Squad!" 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. This 1966 crime-fighting show starred Van Williams and Bruce Lee.

"The Green Hornet". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. This 1994 show starring Claire Danes looked at the experiences
> of a teenage girl. This show was run by the same creative team
> that was behind "thirtysomething".

"My So-Called Life". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. This British-made TV show aired in the UK during the 1967-68
> season and in the US in 1968-69, and starred Patrick McGoohan.

"The Prisoner". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Unlike all the others, this was a one-season show voluntarily.
McGoohan, who also created the show and was executive producer,
was not interested in making it more than a limited series.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - French Regions

> And now, the first visual handout round of the season! Please see:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/france.png

> While France replaced the historical provinces with departments
> during the French Revolution, the provinces have remained the
> common reference in identifying the various parts of the country.
> """Today""", modern French "regions", each grouping several
> departments, replicate many of the old provinces. In French or
> English, name the modern region indicated by the following numbers
> on the map.

In a 2016 reform, the 21 regions in the main part of France were
reduced to 12 by combining several of them in groups of 2 or 3.
At about the same time, another region was renamed. In all these
cases either the name at the time of the original game or the new
name will be accepted, although this means answers will now repeat.

> There were 10 decoys; for convenience I've put them in numerical
> sequence with the 10 regions that were actually used in the round.
> As usual, answer the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

> Same regions have double-barreled names like "Schleswig-Holstein";
> in these cases the first part of the name will be sufficient.

But since I was already accepting several variations of some names,
I did not accept the second part alone.

> 1. (decoy)

2013 answer: Nord-Pas-de-Calais. 2022 answer: Hauts-de-France.

> 2. Name it.

2013 answer: Picardie (Picardy). 2022 answer: Hauts-de-France.
4 for Erland.

Flanders is the name in English of the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.

> 3. Regions 3A and 3B were split from a single region and are
> named accordingly. Just give the name of the original region
> before the split.

Normandie (Normandy). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

3A was Basse-Normandie, 3B Haute-Normandie (Lower and Upper Normandy);
they were recombined in the reform.

> 4. Name it.

Bretagne (Brittany). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

> 5. Name it.

2013 answer: Alsace. 2022 answer: Grand Est. 4 for everyone.

> 6. (decoy)

2013 answer: Lorraine. 2022 answer: Grand Est. Erland got this.

> 7. Name it.

2013 answer: Champagne-Ardenne. 2022 answer: Grand Est.
4 for Erland.

> 8. Name it.

Île-de-France. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 9. (decoy)

2013 answer: Franche-Comté (Free County). 2022 answer:
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté.

> 10. Name it.

2013 answer: Bourgogne (Burgundy). 2022 answer:
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté.

> 11. (decoy)

2013 answer: Centre (Center). 2022 answer: Centre - Val de Loire.

> 12. (decoy)

Pays de la Loire (Loire Country).

> 13. (decoy)

2013 answer: Rhône-Alpes. 2022 answer: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

> 14. (decoy)

2013 answer: Auvergne. 2022 answer: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

> 15. (decoy)

2013 answer: Limousin (Limousine). 2022 answer: Nouvelle-Aquitaine.

> 16. (decoy)

2013 answer: Poitou-Charente. 2022 answer: Nouvelle-Aquitaine.

> 17. Name it.

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Provence - Alps - French Riviera).
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 18. Name it.

2013 answer: Languedoc-Roussillon. 2022 answer: Occitanie.
4 for Erland.

> 19. (decoy)

2013 answer: Midi-Pyrenées (South - Pyrenees). 2022 answer:
Occitanie.

> 20. Name it.

2013 answer: Aquitaine. 2022 answer: Nouvelle-Aquitaine. Also
accepting the old provincial name of Guyenne (Gascony). 3 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

SCORE Dan_Tilque 0 8 16
SCORE Dan_Blum 0 24 12
SCORE Erland 0 0 35
SCORE Joshua 0 35 16

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, France

<1NCcnZzmmuWaWP7-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5390&group=rec.games.trivia#5390

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:41:27 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:41 UTC

Mark Brader:
> Scores, if there are no errors:
>
> SCORE Dan_Tilque 0 8 16...

That is to say:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 35 16 51
Dan Blum 24 12 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 35 35
Dan Tilque 8 16 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Canada resembles Chile a lot more than Chile does"
msb@vex.net | --Athel Cornish-Bowden

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: one season, France

<XnsAF44CDAEC77FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5391&group=rec.games.trivia#5391

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 20:13:09 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:13 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Flanders is the name in English of the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.

Although historically it extends into France, and Dunkirk at least used
to be a Dutch-speaking city. But it is only a small sliver, so I was in
haste when I entered Flandres. And it also left me puzzled, because
I knew that there was a Pas-de-Calais, but I just couldn't fit it in.

> In a 2016 reform, the 21 regions in the main part of France were
> reduced to 12 by combining several of them in groups of 2 or 3.
> At about the same time, another region was renamed.

So much for all the names I've learnt! How can they do this to me!

> 2013 answer: Centre (Center). 2022 answer: Centre - Val de Loire.

While I can brag about at least recognising most of the names, even
if did not recall all exactly, I will need to admit that "Centre"
was entirely unknown to me.