An ounce of clear truth is worth a pound of obfuscation.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: memoirs, volcanoes

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoesPete Gayde
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: memoirs, volcanoesMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<dwydnTIeBeT2dfr-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5398&group=rec.games.trivia#5398

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 17:01:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:01 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs

1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
Griffin wrote in 1961?

2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
Who was this famous diarist?

3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
"Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
Best Actor.

5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
Christian author and theologian.

7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.

9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
limitations.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes

After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!

1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
volcanic rock. Name it.

2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
it called?

3. What term is used for airborne particles less than 2 mm in
diameter that are ejected from a volcanic eruption?

4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
(1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
you find the tallest volcano in the world?

6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

8. What is rough, highly vesicular, glassy volcanic rock called?

9. What is the name of a depression that is formed when the ground
subsides or collapses because the underlying magma chamber had
been partially emptied after a volcanic eruption?

10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gb zbfg
Ratyvfu-fcrnxref Abegu naq Fbhgu Nzrevpn ner frcnengr pbagvaragf.
Vs lbh nafjrerq Nzrevpn ba gur fvkgu dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
fcrpvsl juvpu bar bs gur gjb.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "UNIX make moving not pain
msb@vex.net | but almost pleasure." -- "Housewife", 1941

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<b6df843b-7e74-4d50-83af-a04c8bac2ec4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5399&group=rec.games.trivia#5399

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:42:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:42 UTC

On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 11:01:37 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs
>
> 1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
> in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
> skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
> completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
> spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
> in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
> discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
> Griffin wrote in 1961?

"Black Like Me"
> 2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
> was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
> spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
> detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
> the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
> Who was this famous diarist?

Pepys

> 3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
> "Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
> in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

Thoreau

> 4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
> by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
> based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
> Best Actor.

"My Left Foot"

> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Grant

> 6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
> a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
> conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
> the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
> Christian author and theologian.

Augustine

> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Wilde

> 8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
> Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
> he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
> over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.

Lewis

> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

de Beauvoir

> 10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
> who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
> In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
> book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
> limitations.

Keller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes
>
> After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
> This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!
>
> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.

basalt

> 2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
> cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
> it called?

obsidian

> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt. St. Helens

> 5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
> sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
> you find the tallest volcano in the world?

Hawaii

> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

South America

> 7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
> after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
> What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

Krakatoa
> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

75%; 64%
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<XnsAF47C5F853E3CYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5400&group=rec.games.trivia#5400

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 19:27:40 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs
>
> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Grant
> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Joyce
> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

Simone Beauvoir
> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes
>
> After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
> This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!
>
> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.

Basalt
> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt Kinley
> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

South America
> 7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
> after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
> What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

Kratakoa
> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

45%

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<tk945r$dbs$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5401&group=rec.games.trivia#5401

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:07:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:07 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs

> 1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
> in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
> skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
> completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
> spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
> in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
> discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
> Griffin wrote in 1961?

Black Like Me

> 2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
> was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
> spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
> detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
> the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
> Who was this famous diarist?

Pepys

> 3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
> "Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
> in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

Thoreau

> 4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
> by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
> based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
> Best Actor.

My Left Foot

> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Grant

> 6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
> a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
> conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
> the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
> Christian author and theologian.

Augustine

> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Wilde

> 8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
> Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
> he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
> over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.

Lewis

> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

De Beauvoir

> 10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
> who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
> In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
> book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
> limitations.

Keller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes

> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.

basalt

> 2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
> cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
> it called?

obsidian

> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt. Saint Helens

> 5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
> sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
> you find the tallest volcano in the world?

Hawaii

> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

South America

> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

65%

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<tk94f3$39ul6$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5402&group=rec.games.trivia#5402

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 12:12:18 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:12 UTC

On 11/6/22 09:01, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs
>
> 1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
> in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
> skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
> completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
> spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
> in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
> discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
> Griffin wrote in 1961?

Black Like Me

> 2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
> was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
> spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
> detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
> the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
> Who was this famous diarist?

Pepys

> 3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
> "Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
> in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

Thoreau

> 4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
> by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
> based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
> Best Actor.
>
> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Grant

> 6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
> a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
> conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
> the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
> Christian author and theologian.

Augustine

> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Wilde

> 8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
> Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
> he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
> over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.
>
> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

Simone de Beauvoir

> 10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
> who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
> In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
> book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
> limitations.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes
>
> After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
> This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!
>
> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.

basalt

> 2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
> cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
> it called?

obsidian

> 3. What term is used for airborne particles less than 2 mm in
> diameter that are ejected from a volcanic eruption?

ash

> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt St Helens

> 5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
> sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
> you find the tallest volcano in the world?

Hawaii

> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

South America

> 7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
> after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
> What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

Tambora

> 8. What is rough, highly vesicular, glassy volcanic rock called?

pumice

> 9. What is the name of a depression that is formed when the ground
> subsides or collapses because the underlying magma chamber had
> been partially emptied after a volcanic eruption?

caldera

> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

50%

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: memoirs, volcanoes

<tkf7da$14gu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5403&group=rec.games.trivia#5403

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:39:22 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 03:39 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs
>
> 1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
> in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
> skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
> completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
> spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
> in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
> discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
> Griffin wrote in 1961?

Black Like Me

> 2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
> was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
> spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
> detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
> the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
> Who was this famous diarist?

Pepys

> 3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
> "Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
> in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

Thoreau

> 4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
> by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
> based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
> Best Actor.

My Left Foot

> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Grant

> 6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
> a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
> conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
> the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
> Christian author and theologian.
>
> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Wilde

> 8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
> Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
> he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
> over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.

Tolkien; Lewis

> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

George Sand

> 10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
> who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
> In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
> book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
> limitations.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes
>
> After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
> This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!
>
> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.
>
> 2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
> cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
> it called?
>
> 3. What term is used for airborne particles less than 2 mm in
> diameter that are ejected from a volcanic eruption?
>
> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt St Helens

> 5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
> sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
> you find the tallest volcano in the world?

Hawaiian

> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?
>
> 7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
> after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
> What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

Krakatoa

> 8. What is rough, highly vesicular, glassy volcanic rock called?

Obsidian

> 9. What is the name of a depression that is formed when the ground
> subsides or collapses because the underlying magma chamber had
> been partially emptied after a volcanic eruption?

Caldera

> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

70; 85

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gb zbfg
> Ratyvfu-fcrnxref Abegu naq Fbhgu Nzrevpn ner frcnengr pbagvaragf.
> Vs lbh nafjrerq Nzrevpn ba gur fvkgu dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fcrpvsl juvpu bar bs gur gjb.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: memoirs, volcanoes

<PpSdnRlWieYMcvb-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5404&group=rec.games.trivia#5404

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: memoirs, volcanoes
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 18:21:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:21 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Thanks for the Memoirs

This was the easiest round in the original game, and tied for
fourth-easiest of the entire season.

> 1. This memoir, written by John Howard Griffin and published
> in 1961, was based on Griffin's experience when he took drugs,
> skin cream, and sun lamp treatments, to darken his Caucasian
> completion so he would look like an African-American. Next, he
> spent 6 weeks travelling by bus and occasionally hitch-hiking
> in the segregated states of the Deep South, facing racial
> discrimination first hand. What was the name of the memoir
> Griffin wrote in 1961?

"Black Like Me". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Probably the world's most famous diarist writing in English, he
> was a Member of Parliament and a naval administrator. His diary,
> spanning 1660-69, described his personal life and also gave
> detailed eyewitness accounts of the Great Plague of London,
> the Second Dutch War, and the Great Fire of London in 1666.
> Who was this famous diarist?

Samuel Pepys ["Peeps"]. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. Who was the transcendentalist who published a memoir called
> "Walden" in 1854, detailing two years he spent, living simply,
> in a cabin he built by Walden Pond near Concord, Massachusetts?

Henry David Thoreau. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. What is the memoir written by Christy Brown, an Irishman crippled
> by cerebral palsy? The same title was used for a 1989 movie
> based on the memoir, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar as
> Best Actor.

"My Left Foot". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Which former US president finished writing his autobiography
> just 5 days before he died of cancer in 1885? The memoir
> focuses on his military career and makes little mention of
> his presidency. Who wrote this work, which was published and
> was very successfully marketed by Mark Twain?

Ulysses S. Grant. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. Who was the early Christian saint, who in 397 published
> a 13-volume memoir called "Confessions"? After his eventual
> conversion to Christianity, he became a priest, then later,
> the Bishop of Hippo in what is now Algeria. Name this early
> Christian author and theologian.

St. Augustine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Who was the Irish playwright, novelist, and master of the bon
> mot, who wrote the memoir "De Profundis" ("From the Depths")
> to his companion Lord Alfred Douglas while serving a 2-year
> term in 1895-97 in Reading Gaol for acts of "gross indecency"?

Oscar Wilde. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Who was the deeply religious British author who wrote "A Grief
> Observed", a month after his wife died in 1960? In the memoir,
> he expressed his anger not only over the loss of his wife but
> over his temporary loss of conscious contact with God.

C.S. Lewis. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 9. Who was the French novelist, existentialist, and feminist
> writer who wrote "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter"? She was
> a close friend and confidante of Jean-Paul Sartre, and her
> better-known works include the novels "She Came to Stay" and "The
> Mandarins" as well as the feminist treatise "The Second Sex".

Simone de Beauvoir. I did not require the "de". 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Who was the American author, political activist, and lecturer,
> who lived 1880-1968 and wrote the memoir "The Story of My Life"?
> In the work, she talks about the gracious discourse of her
> book friends, and about her dog friends who understood her
> limitations.

Helen Keller. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - Volcanoes

> After a wintry season, many of us are craving some warmth.
> This round is s about the Earth's ultimate hot spots -- volcanoes!

> 1. This dark black or grey rock is the most common type of
> volcanic rock. Name it.

Basalt. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Naturally occurring volcanic glass was used by many stone-age
> cultures as material for arrowheads and spearheads. What is
> it called?

Obsidian. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. What term is used for airborne particles less than 2 mm in
> diameter that are ejected from a volcanic eruption?

Ash. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. The summit elevation of what volcano decreased by 400 m
> (1,300 feet) when it violently erupted in 1980?

Mt. St. Helens. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. If you go by the difference between the base elevation (below
> sea level) and summit elevation, in what *island group* will
> you find the tallest volcano in the world?

Hawaii. (Mauna Kea, about 10,000 m or 33,000 feet.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. And if you go by summit elevation above sea level, then the
> tallest volcano in the world is on what *continent*?

South America. (Ojos Del Salado in Chile, 6,785 m or 22,589 feet.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The deadliest volcanic eruption occurred in 1815: the
> after-effects caused 1816 to be "the year without a summer".
> What was the name of this volcano that erupted in 1815?

Mt. Tambora. (Now in Indonesia.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. What is rough, highly vesicular, glassy volcanic rock called?

Pumice or scoria. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. What is the name of a depression that is formed when the ground
> subsides or collapses because the underlying magma chamber had
> been partially emptied after a volcanic eruption?

Caldera or cauldron. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 10. To the nearest multiple of 5%, and plus or minus 5 percentage
> points, what percentage of the world's active and dormant
> volcanoes are contained within the Pacific "Ring of Fire"?

75% (accepting 70-80%). 3 for Joshua and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo Lit Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 35 16 0 36 40 23 134
Dan Blum 24 12 8 25 40 20 109
Dan Tilque 8 16 16 20 28 36 100
Pete Gayde -- -- 2 40 26 15 83
Erland Sommarskog 0 35 4 0 8 8 55

--
Mark Brader Hackers are far more likely ... to either
Toronto (a) be aggressively apolitical or (b) entertain