No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengeMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengeErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengeDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengeDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challengePete Gayde
`* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challengeMark Brader
 `* RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challengeErland Sommarskog
  `- RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<loSdnV9cLJK-bfb-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5405&group=rec.games.trivia#5405

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 18:23:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:23 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes

We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
repeat.

1. DAX.
2. SENSEX.
3. IBEX 35.
4. BOVESPA.
5. NSE NIFTY.
6. All Ordinaries.
7. CAC ["kack"] 40.
8. SSE Composite Index.
9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.
10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts

* A. Canadiana History: First Leader

A1. Who became the first mayor of Toronto in 1834?

A2. In 1984, who became the first woman to hold the position
of Governor-General of Canada?

* B. Literature: First Words

We quote the opening words, you name the novel.

B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
going into it, if you want to know the truth."

B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

* C. Entertainment: First Nomination

C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
for Best Supporting Actress?

C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
nomination as Best Supporting Actor?

* D. Sports: First Base

D1. In November 1979, which All-Star pitcher was the first
player to sign a contract for more than $1,000,000 a year?

D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

* E. Science (yeah, right): First Message

E1. Who was the first person to reach 1,000,000 followers
on Twitter?

E2. Who was the first person to reach 25,000,000 followers
on Twitter?

* F. Miscellaneous: First Person

F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "This is, I am told, progress.
msb@vex.net But I beg leave to doubt it." --Frimbo

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<XnsAF4AD47DF90FBYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5406&group=rec.games.trivia#5406

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 20:53:19 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 19:53 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes
>
> We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
> as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
> For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
> repeat.
>
> 1. DAX.

Frankfurt

> 3. IBEX 35.

Madrid

> 4. BOVESPA.

Rio de Janeiro

> 5. NSE NIFTY.

New York

> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.

London

> 10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).

Switzerland
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts
>
> * B. Literature: First Words
>
> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.
>
> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

Farenheit 451
> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person
>
> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Yuriy Gagarin
> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Hillary

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<561898e9-4311-4995-8235-3e0ab62689e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5407&group=rec.games.trivia#5407

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 19:39:34 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 03:39 UTC

On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 12:23:37 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes
>
> We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
> as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
> For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
> repeat.
>
> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.

London
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts
>
> * B. Literature: First Words
>
> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.
>
> B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
> you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
> what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
> were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
> David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
> going into it, if you want to know the truth."

"The Catcher in the Rye"

> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

"Fahrenheit 451"

> * C. Entertainment: First Nomination
>
> C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
> Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
> for Best Supporting Actress?

"The Deer Hunter"

> C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
> nomination as Best Supporting Actor?

"Easy Rider"

> * D. Sports: First Base

> D1. In November 1979, which All-Star pitcher was the first
> player to sign a contract for more than $1,000,000 a year?

Nolan Ryan

> D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
> a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

Jackie Robinson

> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person
>
> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Yuri Gagarin
> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Edmund Hillary; Tenzing Norgay

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<tkht1s$238$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5408&group=rec.games.trivia#5408

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 04:01:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 04:01 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes

> 1. DAX.

Frankfurt; Berlin

> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.

London

> 10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).

South Korea

> * B. Literature: First Words

> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.

> B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
> you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
> what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
> were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
> David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
> going into it, if you want to know the truth."

The Catcher in the Rye

> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

Fahrenheit 451

> * C. Entertainment: First Nomination

> C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
> Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
> for Best Supporting Actress?

The Deer Hunter

> C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
> nomination as Best Supporting Actor?

Easy Rider

> * D. Sports: First Base

> D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
> a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

Jackie Robinson

> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person

> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Yuri Gagarin

> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Hillary

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<tkkbm0$lqjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5409&group=rec.games.trivia#5409

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:22:56 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 02:22 UTC

On 11/9/22 10:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes
>
> We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
> as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
> For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
> repeat.
>
> 1. DAX.
> 2. SENSEX.

Japan

> 3. IBEX 35.
> 4. BOVESPA.
> 5. NSE NIFTY.

New York

> 6. All Ordinaries.

London

> 7. CAC ["kack"] 40.
> 8. SSE Composite Index.
> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.
> 10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts
>
> * A. Canadiana History: First Leader
>
> A1. Who became the first mayor of Toronto in 1834?
>
> A2. In 1984, who became the first woman to hold the position
> of Governor-General of Canada?
>

> * B. Literature: First Words
>
> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.
>
> B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
> you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
> what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
> were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
> David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
> going into it, if you want to know the truth."

Catcher in the Rye

> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

Fahrenheit 451

> * C. Entertainment: First Nomination
>
> C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
> Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
> for Best Supporting Actress?
>
> C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
> nomination as Best Supporting Actor?
>

> * D. Sports: First Base
>
> D1. In November 1979, which All-Star pitcher was the first
> player to sign a contract for more than $1,000,000 a year?
>
> D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
> a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

Robinson

> * E. Science (yeah, right): First Message
>
> E1. Who was the first person to reach 1,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?
>
> E2. Who was the first person to reach 25,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?

Obama

> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person
>
> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Gagarin

> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Hillary

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<tkm2or$6he$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5410&group=rec.games.trivia#5410

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:03:06 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 18:03 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes
>
> We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
> as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
> For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
> repeat.
>
> 1. DAX.

Frankfurt

> 2. SENSEX.
> 3. IBEX 35.

Rome

> 4. BOVESPA.

Madrid; Rio de Janeiro

> 5. NSE NIFTY.

Tokyo

> 6. All Ordinaries.
> 7. CAC ["kack"] 40.

Paris

> 8. SSE Composite Index.

Singapore

> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.

London

> 10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).

South Korea

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts
>
> * A. Canadiana History: First Leader
>
> A1. Who became the first mayor of Toronto in 1834?

Yonge; Bloor

> A2. In 1984, who became the first woman to hold the position
> of Governor-General of Canada?
>

> * B. Literature: First Words
>
> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.
>
> B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
> you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
> what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
> were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
> David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
> going into it, if you want to know the truth."
>
> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."
>

> * C. Entertainment: First Nomination
>
> C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
> Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
> for Best Supporting Actress?

The Deer Hunter

> C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
> nomination as Best Supporting Actor?

Five Easy Pieces

> * D. Sports: First Base
>
> D1. In November 1979, which All-Star pitcher was the first
> player to sign a contract for more than $1,000,000 a year?

Jim Palmer

> D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
> a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

Jackie Robinson

> * E. Science (yeah, right): First Message
>
> E1. Who was the first person to reach 1,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?

Beyonce; Rihanna

> E2. Who was the first person to reach 25,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?

Beyonce; Rihanna

> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person
>
> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Yuri Gagarin

> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Tenzing Norgay

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<09qcnX2q7INuk-3-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5411&group=rec.games.trivia#5411

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 21:24:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 21:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has a big win. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Stock Exchange Indexes

> We name a stock market index name; you give the *city* (except
> as specified) where the relevant stock exchange """is""" located.
> For example, for the S&P/TSX 60 it would be Toronto. Answers may
> repeat.

None of these answers have changed.

> 1. DAX.

Frankfurt. 4 for Erland and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. SENSEX.

Mumbai.

> 3. IBEX 35.

Madrid. 4 for Erland.

> 4. BOVESPA.

São Paulo. 4 for Erland. 2 for Pete.

> 5. NSE NIFTY.

Mumbai.

> 6. All Ordinaries.

Sydney.

> 7. CAC ["kack"] 40.

Paris. 4 for Pete.

> 8. SSE Composite Index.

Shanghai.

> 9. FTSE ["footsie"] 100.

London. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. KOSPI. (For this one just the name of the country will do).

Busan, South Korea. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Firsts

> * A. Canadiana History: First Leader

> A1. Who became the first mayor of Toronto in 1834?

William Lyon Mackenzie.

Someone cleverly tried guessing Yonge and Bloor. Sir George Yonge
was a cabinet member in the British government while Joseph Bloore
was an innkeeper, brewer, and founder of the village of Yorkville.

> A2. In 1984, who became the first woman to hold the position
> of Governor-General of Canada?

Jeanne Sauvé.

> * B. Literature: First Words

> We quote the opening words, you name the novel.

> B1. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing
> you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and
> what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents
> were occupied and all before they had me, and all that
> David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like
> going into it, if you want to know the truth."

"The Catcher in the Rye" (J.D. Salinger). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> B2. "It was a pleasure to burn."

"Fahrenheit 451" (Ray Bradbury). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Entertainment: First Nomination

> C1. For which 1978 movie, starring Robert De Niro and Christopher
> Walken, did Meryl Streep receive her first Oscar nomination
> for Best Supporting Actress?

"The Deer Hunter". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> C2. For which 1969 movie did Jack Nicholson receive his first
> nomination as Best Supporting Actor?

"Easy Rider". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * D. Sports: First Base

> D1. In November 1979, which All-Star pitcher was the first
> player to sign a contract for more than $1,000,000 a year?

Nolan Ryan. 4 for Joshua.

> D2. In 1947, who became the first black player to play in
> a Major League Baseball game in over 60 years?

Jackie Robinson. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * E. Science (yeah, right): First Message

> E1. Who was the first person to reach 1,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?

Ashton Kutcher.

> E2. Who was the first person to reach 25,000,000 followers
> on Twitter?

Lady Gaga.

> * F. Miscellaneous: First Person

> F1. In 1961, who became the first man in space?

Yuri Gagarin. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> F2. Name either of the two men who were the first to successfully
> climb Mt. Everest, in 1953.

Tenzing Norgay (either word was sufficient), Sir Edmund Hillary.
4 for everyone, but the hard way for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo Lit Sci Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 35 16 0 36 40 23 4 32 182
Dan Blum 24 12 8 25 40 20 11 28 149
Dan Tilque 8 16 16 20 28 36 0 20 136
Pete Gayde -- -- 2 40 26 15 18 16 117
Erland Sommarskog 0 35 4 0 8 8 16 12 83

--
Mark Brader | "Last night ... I did something stupid."
Toronto | "I have that same problem all the time.

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<XnsAF4E5DDF27B1Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=rec.games.trivia#5415

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 00:34:36 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 23:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 4. BOVESPA.
>
> São Paulo. 4 for Erland. 2 for Pete.

Both I and Pete said Rio de Janeiro, and for this question you did
not say that the country was sufficient. Of course, you may graciously
have changed your mind on this, but I felt obliged to point it ouit
nevertheless.

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: stock indexes, firsts challenge

<mB-dnTZLhP3d--3-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5417&group=rec.games.trivia#5417

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 03:36:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 03:36 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 4. BOVESPA.
>> S�o Paulo. 4 for Erland. 2 for Pete.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Both I and Pete said Rio de Janeiro...

Well, that was stupid of me! No points for anybody on this question.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo Lit Sci Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 35 16 0 36 40 23 4 32 182
Dan Blum 24 12 8 25 40 20 11 28 149
Dan Tilque 8 16 16 20 28 36 0 20 136
Pete Gayde -- -- 2 40 26 15 16 16 115
Erland Sommarskog 0 35 4 0 8 8 12 12 79